What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*--* 2015 Seattle Seahawks Thread *--* (1 Viewer)

Hooper31

Footballguy
Yeah! Our team is second best.

:kicksrock:

Figured it was time one of us started a new thread. Dang. Its been a pretty depressing month. Well, on the plus side ITS has been invisible.

Draft thoughts? Free agency thoughts?

If healthy enough for a full season I want Dockett. Would be a a big steal IMO.

Draft priorities? If Carpenter isn't coming back they have to fill that hole (obviously). If Carpenter is coming back (wouldn't shock me) then I'm thinking we need DT, CB, and a blocking TE (assuming Miller is done).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah! Our team is second best.

:kicksrock:

Figured it was time one of us started a new thread. Dang. Its been a pretty depressing month. Well, on the plus side ITS has been invisible.

Draft thoughts? Free agency thoughts?

If healthy enough for a full season I want Dockett. Would be a a big steal IMO.

Draft priorities? If Carpenter isn't coming back they have to fill that hole (obviously). If Carpenter is coming back (wouldn't shock me) then I'm thinking we need DT, CB, and a blocking TE (assuming Miller is done).
I think we need a whole secondary for the first half of the season.

Seriously though, there could be a lot of needs depending on injuries, cuts and free agency.

Off the top of my head: G, DT, CB, WR, TE, RB (if Lynch retires)

The hawks will have 10 or 11 picks in the draft due to trade compensations. They've traded down their first round pick the past 2 drafts so unless a player they really like falls to them, I'm thinking they might do that again.

Carpenter and Maxwell probably need replacing. I hope Malcolm Smith gets re-signed because of the depth he adds to the LBs.

Schneider also seems to wait out free agency to nab players on the cheap.

They can go a ton of different directions with that first pick. I'm sure they would love to trade down and stock pile even more picks. Crazy to think but the LOB is going to need some help, assuming Maxwell will be gone, if they want the team to continue with the same style on D.

The boom or bust pick I have seen called out a few times is taking Green-Beckham kid. He may be gone anyways but can't see them taking him.

All the trust in the world in Schneider/Carroll even though last year's draft isn't looking so great.

Offseason wish list (I know they all can't happen)

• Extend Lynch
  • Sign Suh
  • Trade for or acquire a big WR like Brandon Marshall or Vincent Jackson
  • Extend Russell Wilson
  • Extend Bobby Wagner
  • Draft WR, OT, CB and DT

As a 49er fan, any fan other than Seattle, I pray you guys don't sign Suh.

This is my first post on the topic since the SB and I'm not trolling. Despite the rivalry, most of us know what a gut punch it is to get so close and come away empty.

You'll be contending. We won't. 'nuff said.

fridayfrenzy said:

• Extend Lynch
  • Sign Suh
  • Extend Russell Wilson
  • Extend Bobby Wagner
Off of your list, which is a good one, I would be surprised if they don't get deals done for Lynch, Russell, and Wagner.

Would hope they can draft players to at least 2 of the 4 positions you listed that will be able to have somewhat significant contributions next season.

Would be happy but don't know how realistic it would be to get Suh and a big name WR, although not sure if I'd put V Jackson in that category now.

• Extend Lynch
  • Sign Suh
  • Extend Russell Wilson
  • Extend Bobby Wagner
Off of your list, which is a good one, I would be surprised if they don't get deals done for Lynch, Russell, and Wagner.

Would hope they can draft players to at least 2 of the 4 positions you listed that will be able to have somewhat significant contributions next season.

Would be happy but don't know how realistic it would be to get Suh and a big name WR, although not sure if I'd put V Jackson in that category now.
Graham good enough for you?

Whoa! that was something. We are pretty weak at O-line though. The last thing I want to see is Alvin Bailey getting blown up over and over. Lets see what moves they make there. G,C, DT, WR, blocking TE are still needs.

C Stefan Wisniewski to Seattle would be nice, but he might cost too much.

Yes, I'm serious that I would have rather had a blocking TE. Perhaps McCoy can be that guy. I don't think Graham was necessary. The team has built an identity, and IMO Graham goes almost 100% in the opposite direction. Further, I'm wary of Graham's personality. I haven't met the guy. No idea what he's really like, but that incident at midfield with Irvin before the playoff game makes me cringe. "I'm Jimmy!" ??? Really? Graham looked pissed while Irvin was just laughing. Which is a sign of a physically dominate player? Which one is the head case? Just one moment out of his career.

I do appreciate that the front office is consistently aggressive in trying to improve. Gust said it best. We'll see.

cstu said:

• Extend Lynch
  • Sign Suh
  • Extend Russell Wilson
  • Extend Bobby Wagner

Graham good enough for you?
Yup. Hope they can find a lower tier DL and OL free agent that they can use as depth and then draft all OL and a DB or two and hope they find some gems as they have in the past.

Yes, I'm serious that I would have rather had a blocking TE. Perhaps McCoy can be that guy. I don't think Graham was necessary. The team has built an identity, and IMO Graham goes almost 100% in the opposite direction. Further, I'm wary of Graham's personality. I haven't met the guy. No idea what he's really like, but that incident at midfield with Irvin before the playoff game makes me cringe. "I'm Jimmy!" ??? Really? Graham looked pissed while Irvin was just laughing. Which is a sign of a physically dominate player? Which one is the head case? Just one moment out of his career.

I do appreciate that the front office is consistently aggressive in trying to improve. Gust said it best. We'll see.
Jimmy's personality is terrific, he is a team guy who fights for his team and his fans. When he's carrying two defenders and pulling balls out of thin air you will be breaking your vocal chords and thanking he is on your side when all is said and done. Enjoy.

I figured they were gonna target some type of receiver, I thought Jeremy Maclin not Jimmy Graham.

Trading Unger is tough, he's the goods...but he's also had a lot of injuries over his career including the concussion issue. Not saying he's not a guy you love to have, just that there is quite a bit of downside with him.

Trading a first rounder always sucks but there aren't many impact players on offense you can get on offense for this price. I like it quite a bit.
Oops, posted in the '14 thread.

Two days later I still feel really good about this and getting Carey Williams today, makes me feel even better. NFC is much tougher than the AFC but I still stink this is a top team, despite the loss because of success.

I do appreciate that the front office is consistently aggressive in trying to improve.

Why do you think they traded him?I'm thinking there is something behind the scenes going on. Hoping its not some hidden injury. Trade sounds way too good to be true.

I do appreciate that the front office is consistently aggressive in trying to improve.

It was money, period.

I think it was money facilitating some yet to be understood grand reshaping of the team, but if there's a "behind the scenes" going on it's with the Saints and the ownership struggle. I wouldn't worry about the shoulder, only thing is Jimmy pretty much always takes on any defender in any situation so I could see some other lingering injury happening again. On the other hand he plays through any pain he can withstand if possible.

Any guesses at what Russell signs for? Or simply, will they make him the highest paid player or not, in your opinion?

Any guesses at what Russell signs for? Or simply, will they make him the highest paid player or not, in your opinion?
There has been talk of an innovative approach to his next contract. I expect his average salary will not be as high as other recent big contracts but he could get either the highest amount of guaranteed money ever or an unusually long contract or both.

There has been talk of an innovative approach to his next contract. I expect his average salary will not be as high as other recent big contracts but he could get either the highest amount of guaranteed money ever or an unusually long contract or both.
This is what I'm expecting as well.

Yep. I'd guess on 7 years, $140 million, all of it guaranteed.

It's not going to be THAT extreme.

Rodgers signed for $54M guaranteed - you don't go from $54M to $140M guaranteed.

I could see them doing something like $150M over seven years (making it the highest QB contract nominally) with $80M guaranteed and $20M signing bonus... then structuring it in a way that provides the Seahawks cap room the next two years to continue pushing for a title. On an average per year basis it would only trail Rodgers but Wilson would be getting far more guaranteed money.

Structuring it something like the below cap hits would rein in the dramatic increase in spending per year on QBs while providing the player with more guaranteed financial security than previous QB contracts. The $150M nominal value seems WAY higher than previous contracts, but it's really not on a per-year basis. Rodgers will likely earn more over the next seven years, but less of it will be guaranteed.

Base Prorated Signing Bonus Cap Number

Year 1 $ 12,000,000 $ 4,000,000 $ 16,000,000

Year 2 $ 15,000,000 $ 4,000,000 $ 19,000,000

Year 3 $ 16,000,000 $ 4,000,000 $ 20,000,000

Year 4 $ 17,000,000 $ 4,000,000 $ 21,000,000

Year 5 $ 20,000,000 $ 4,000,000 $ 24,000,000

Year 6 $ 25,000,000 $ - $ 25,000,000

Year 7 $ 25,000,000 $ - $ 25,000,000

=$150M if fully realized.

Phenomena said:

Rodgers signed for $54M guaranteed - you don't go from $54M to $140M guaranteed.

I could see them doing something like $150M over seven years (making it the highest QB contract nominally) with $80M guaranteed and $20M signing bonus... then structuring it in a way that provides the Seahawks cap room the next two years to continue pushing for a title. On an average per year basis it would only trail Rodgers but Wilson would be getting far more guaranteed money.

Structuring it something like the below cap hits would rein in the dramatic increase in spending per year on QBs while providing the player with more guaranteed financial security than previous QB contracts. The $150M nominal value seems WAY higher than previous contracts, but it's really not on a per-year basis. Rodgers will likely earn more over the next seven years, but less of it will be guaranteed.

Something like that looks like a great deal for the Seahawks (not suggesting it isn't also good for Wilson, just focusing on the value to the team). The QB franchise tag this year is $18.5M, up from $14.9M two years ago. A deal like this would make it seem likely that each year of the deal the Seahawks would be getting Wilson for $3M+ below the franchise tag value. Since that tag value is based on the average of the top 5 QB salaries, that suggests they would be getting Wilson for a QB10 price, or something similar, and I fully expect him to make that price a bargain.

Also, the length of a deal like this sets up Seattle to only need to extend Wilson's contract one time (if they are so inclined) in order for him to play his entire career in Seattle.

Phenomena said:

Something like that looks like a great deal for the Seahawks (not suggesting it isn't also good for Wilson, just focusing on the value to the team). The QB franchise tag this year is $18.5M, up from $14.9M two years ago. A deal like this would make it seem likely that each year of the deal the Seahawks would be getting Wilson for $3M+ below the franchise tag value. Since that tag value is based on the average of the top 5 QB salaries, that suggests they would be getting Wilson for a QB10 price, or something similar, and I fully expect him to make that price a bargain.

Also, the length of a deal like this sets up Seattle to only need to extend Wilson's contract one time (if they are so inclined) in order for him to play his entire career in Seattle.
That's not true. Cap hits rarely equal cash flows for the player. Example... paying $1M base the first year and $20M signing bonus - the player gets $21M cash the first year, but the cap hit is only $1M + $4M = $5M. The cap hit for signing bonus is pro-rated through the life of the contract (up to five years).

Actual cash flows by year for Wilson would be the following:

Year 1 - $32M

Year 2 - $15M

Year 3 - $16M

Year 4 - $17M

Year 5 - $20M

Year 6 - $25M

Year 7 - $25M

At each consecutive year Wilson will have made well above franchise-tagged numbers (Year 2 cash flows total $47M - two franchise tags would be $37M).

On a per-year basis he would be the #2 highest-paid QB in the NFL, while getting the most guaranteed money in history. All of this while not increasing the amount of money being paid to QBs (the whole "next-contract-bigger-than-the-last" has to stop at some point). I think this structure would be a win for Wilson, the team, and the league as a whole.

That's not true. Cap hits rarely equal cash flows for the player. Example... paying $1M base the first year and $20M signing bonus - the player gets $21M cash the first year, but the cap hit is only $1M + $4M = $5M. The cap hit for signing bonus is pro-rated through the life of the contract (up to five years).

Year 1 - $32M

Year 2 - $15M

Year 3 - $16M

Year 4 - $17M

Year 5 - $20M

Year 6 - $25M

Year 7 - $25M

At each consecutive year Wilson will have made well above franchise-tagged numbers (Year 2 cash flows total $47M - two franchise tags would be $37M).

On a per-year basis he would be the #2 highest-paid QB in the NFL, while getting the most guaranteed money in history. All of this while not increasing the amount of money being paid to QBs (the whole "next-contract-bigger-than-the-last" has to stop at some point). I think this structure would be a win for Wilson, the team, and the league as a whole.
I guess my post wasn't clear. I was referring to cap hit. The cap hit each year would likely be well below the cap hit of a franchise tagged QB in that same year, and the value of that franchise tag is an average of top 5 salaries. So the point is, from a cap perspective, the team gets a bargain.

To put it another way, I doubt the cap hits shown above in this hypothetical deal would be ever be top 5 at the QB position. Because I expect Wilson to be a top 5 caliber QB for the next 7 years, that suggests the team is getting a bargain.

Agree 100% with blog post by Dave Boling this morning. I'm a bit concerned about the offensive line. Not sure why this hasn't been more of a focus in the offseason to this point. Perhaps they use a lot of picks on guys in the draft to bring in more interior offensive linemen?

Agree 100% with blog post by Dave Boling this morning. I'm a bit concerned about the offensive line. Not sure why this hasn't been more of a focus in the offseason to this point. Perhaps they use a lot of picks on guys in the draft to bring in more interior offensive linemen?
If I had to guess, they are probably ready to churn starting June 1st when those will no longer count against the comp draft picks for next year. But yes, the O-line is more than a little concerning for next year.

Year 1 - $32M

Year 2 - $15M

Year 3 - $16M

Year 4 - $17M

Year 5 - $20M

Year 6 - $25M

Year 7 - $25M

I guess my post wasn't clear. I was referring to cap hit. The cap hit each year would likely be well below the cap hit of a franchise tagged QB in that same year, and the value of that franchise tag is an average of top 5 salaries. So the point is, from a cap perspective, the team gets a bargain.

To put it another way, I doubt the cap hits shown above in this hypothetical deal would be ever be top 5 at the QB position. Because I expect Wilson to be a top 5 caliber QB for the next 7 years, that suggests the team is getting a bargain.
The fact that the cap hit isn't top five just means that the team is better at managing the cap than other teams. It is only "beneficial to the team" in the manner that other teams put themselves in worse positions, not that the Seahawks did anything particularly great. As long as they don't convert salary to signing bonus later in Wilson's career his cap hit is likely to be not-top-five, but his salary/actual paids will be top two.

Year 1 - $32M

Year 2 - $15M

Year 3 - $16M

Year 4 - $17M

Year 5 - $20M

Year 6 - $25M

Year 7 - $25M

The fact that the cap hit isn't top five just means that the team is better at managing the cap than other teams. It is only "beneficial to the team" in the manner that other teams put themselves in worse positions, not that the Seahawks did anything particularly great. As long as they don't convert salary to signing bonus later in Wilson's career his cap hit is likely to be not-top-five, but his salary/actual paids will be top two.
Fine, I surrender. No credit or particular benefit to the team for a contract like this. :rolleyes:

Looks like a large number of Seahawks were in Maui last week as a group. Curious to know who was and wasn't there. Couldn't have been an organized team event, but wondering who the catalyst was. From twitter it looks it was the DBs, LBs, Wilson and some WRs. Also saw a group pic of Graham, Helfet, and Willson, but not sure if they were in Maui.

EDIT: Found a bit of information and some pics. LINK

Franchise record 5 primetime games

Preseason

Aug. 14: vs. Broncos, 7:00 p.m.

Aug. 21: at Chiefs, 5:00 p.m.

Aug. 29: at Chargers. 5:00 p.m.

Sept. 3: vs. Raiders: 7:00 p.m.

Regular season

Sept. 13: at Rams, 10:00 a.m.

Sept. 20: at Packers, 5:30 p.m. (Sunday Night)

Sept. 27: vs. Bears, 1:25 p.m.

Oct. 5: vs. Lions, 5:30 p.m. (Monday Night)

Oct. 11: at Bengals, 10:00 a.m.

Oct. 18: vs. Panthers, 1:05 p.m.

Oct. 22: at 49ers, 5:25 p.m. (Thursday Night)

Nov. 1: at Cowboys, 1:25 p.m.

Nov. 8: Bye

Nov. 15: vs. Cardinals, 5:30 p.m. (Sunday Night)

Nov. 22: vs. 49ers, 1:25 p.m.

Nov. 29: vs. Steelers, 1:25 p.m.

Dec. 6: at Vikings, 10:00 a.m.

Dec. 13: at Ravens, 5:30 p.m. (Sunday Night)

Dec. 20: vs. Browns, 1:05 p.m.

Dec. 27: vs. Rams, 1:25 p.m.

Jan. 3: at Cardinals, 1:25 p.m.

(All times Pacific)

I like the later BYE week. Looking forward to that week 2 SNF game at Lambeau :thumbup:

Looks to me like a 11-5 season. That might be enough for the NFC West...

Sept. 13: at Rams, 10:00 a.m. Toss up

Sept. 20: at Packers, 5:30 p.m. (Sunday Night) Loss

Sept. 27: vs. Bears, 1:25 p.m. Win

Oct. 5: vs. Lions, 5:30 p.m. (Monday Night) Win

Oct. 11: at Bengals, 10:00 a.m. Toss up

Oct. 18: vs. Panthers, 1:05 p.m. Win

Oct. 22: at 49ers, 5:25 p.m. (Thursday Night) Win

Nov. 1: at Cowboys, 1:25 p.m. Loss

Nov. 8: Bye

Nov. 15: vs. Cardinals, 5:30 p.m. (Sunday Night) Win

Nov. 22: vs. 49ers, 1:25 p.m. Win

Nov. 29: vs. Steelers, 1:25 p.m. Win

Dec. 6: at Vikings, 10:00 a.m. Win

Dec. 13: at Ravens, 5:30 p.m. (Sunday Night) Toss up

Dec. 20: vs. Browns, 1:05 p.m. Win

Dec. 27: vs. Rams, 1:25 p.m. Win

Jan. 3: at Cardinals, 1:25 p.m. Toss up

If we lose half of the games labeled "toss-up" that's 12-4, but if I had to guess there's probably one sneaky one we'll lose because Bevell forgets to feed the beast. Again.

SEA has a ton of picks, but none before pick 63. If D.Hunter(LSU) is there at pick 48 would any Hawk fans hope they trade up for him? Seems like the prototype defensive player for that defense. Tall, lean, freak athlete that was used incorrectly in college. Probably has a higher ceiling in the pro game than Shane Ray. Can even half of the SEA picks make the roster? Also, this is a deep draft at OL. To me SD and SEA seem like natural trade partners this year. Either Hunter, one of the speed receivers, or if one of the OT's falls.

Users who are viewing this thread