What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PGA Tour Thread: 2019 Season Ends (9 Viewers)

The General said:
!!Attention Golf Experts!!

Pick one golfer from each group, have to pick only one from each. Looking for player you think will finish highest on the leaderboard:

*Group A*
Rory McIlroy (3)

*Group B*
Tiger Woods (12)

*Group C*
Adam Scott (29)

*Group D*
Henrik Stenson (39)

*Group E*
Shane Lowry (49)

Why would you think he's wrong?
I see guys in insane places make par or bogey more often than not.  Even a double bogey would essentially be a push in this challenge.  I don't see how a top pro doesn't pick up strokes to the good on a par five by four putting.  It's even feasible to chip to a good approach position and you're still only laying one.  You would have to figure that some of the pin positions would be favorable enough to negate so of the worse spots you could place the ball.

It makes a great soundbite, but do you really think a top pro isn't going to be able to 71 putt the course?

By the way tiger is near last in putts under 5 feet.  Putts under 5 feet is actually one of the best prediction of cut at Augusta.  
He used to crush that stat.  I want to say he went all year without missing once upon a time.  Or something equally as insane.

To be fair, I didn't say it.  David Duval said it.  And in some circles, his voice carries a little bit more weight than mind, when it comes to golf, anyway.
It's ridiculous no matter who said it.  Chip off the green to a favorable spot, and you're laying one just off every green.

I see guys in insane places make par or bogey more often than not.  Even a double bogey would essentially be a push in this challenge.  I don't see how a top pro doesn't pick up strokes to the good on a par five by four putting.  It's even feasible to chip to a good approach position and you're still only laying one.  You would have to figure that some of the pin positions would be favorable enough to negate so of the worse spots you could place the ball.

It makes a great soundbite, but do you really think a top pro isn't going to be able to 71 putt the course?
But he's placing the ball in a certain spot.  These guys are hitting shots into the greens.  They know where to hit.  That's his point.  

It's ridiculous no matter who said it.  Chip off the green to a favorable spot, and you're laying one just off every green.
That's not what he's saying.  He's saying putting.  If you HAD to putt.  He's not saying he'll put a ball down, you putt it off the green and then chip it close.  

First time in 20 years I can recall being "duh'd" here. 

Cool.

I'll be in the gambling thread if anyone ever needs anything.

I made up a google sheet to track the FBG "entries".  I'll link to it later.
Thanks Heckmanm. I will try and do updates each night with team's scores.

Maybe for the next Major we can put some duckets on it to give it a little more intrigue.

A couple more teams:

Pipes: Fowler, Fleetwood, Sergio, Stenson, Hoffman

Teddy Stickles: Rory, Tiger. Adam Scott. Stenson, Lowry

That's not what he's saying.  He's saying putting.  If you HAD to putt.  He's not saying he'll put a ball down, you putt it off the green and then chip it close.  
To be fair, you didn't say that.  I suspect some of the spots, the ball would roll off the green whether you were trying or not.  Regardless, it's an exaggeration IMO.

hooter311 said:
First time in 20 years I can recall being "duh'd" here. 

Cool.

I'll be in the gambling thread if anyone ever needs anything.
Hopefully they can fix your jokeometer so it measures even the bad ones.

The General said:
Thanks Heckmanm. I will try and do updates each night with team's scores.

Maybe for the next Major we can put some duckets on it to give it a little more intrigue.

A couple more teams:

Pipes: Fowler, Fleetwood, Sergio, Stenson, Hoffman

Teddy Stickles: Rory, Tiger. Adam Scott. Stenson, Lowry
Link to spreadsheet. I have Teddy in there, will get Pipes added.

shoot me a PM with your Google e-mail and I'll make you an editor

*Group A*
Justin Rose (2)

*Group B*
Tony Finau (15)

*Group C*
Phil Mickelson (22)

*Group D*
Ian Poulter (33)

*Group E*
Charles Howell III (46)

@The General

Rose/Fleetwood/Simpson/Spieth/Howell III

The only reason I am listing these guys is because it is my actual lineup...we don't pick for a tournament, this IS my lineup for the whole year (in the order I drafted them) and they happened to fall nicely into your groupings.  In other words, these selections are doomed... (although I got a win from Fleetwood in the players Championship...don't have to win the tourney, just have to be better than golfers on other teams)

Half the posts are about some mythical 6 entry pool with no entry fee thing.  And one of the more knowledgable posters in hooter has been run off.  Sweet.

@The General

Rose/Fleetwood/Simpson/Spieth/Howell III

The only reason I am listing these guys is because it is my actual lineup...we don't pick for a tournament, this IS my lineup for the whole year (in the order I drafted them) and they happened to fall nicely into your groupings.  In other words, these selections are doomed... (although I got a win from Fleetwood in the players Championship...don't have to win the tourney, just have to be better than golfers on other teams)
:lol: Noted

Seriously?  For starters, how about the golfers and who might win the actual Masters instead of some grouping they happen to be in?
Here are 5 I believe could win: Fowler / Tiger / Hideki / Henrik Von Stenson / Snedeker

Granted, it'd be a huge longshot for Sneds, and Stenson probably as well.  But the first three are all very live and each would be a fantastic story in his own right.

Here are 5 I believe could win: Fowler / Tiger / Hideki / Henrik Von Stenson / Snedeker

Granted, it'd be a huge longshot for Sneds, and Stenson probably as well.  But the first three are all very live and each would be a fantastic story in his own right.
Tiger being competitive would be amazing, can only hope. That putting though.

Here's a great day: Golf in the AM, get home to watch the back 9 of Masters. Bathroom break. Eat. Then Game of Thrones.

Oops, I meant to quote facook.

Thanks.  Fowler and Hideki I like.  I put those guys in a pool of my own.  No value with Fowler obviously, but like everyone else I think it will happen one day.  I'd rather him win than anyone.  I used to do the same thing with Hideki, play him every year thinking he would win it, but it's never panned out.  However, he now offers some value so I'll plug him in again.  No on Tiger, don't see it.  Another that offers no value and too many will choose anyway.  If I'm wrong, fun nonetheless.

Stenson seems to be a board consensus value-pick.  I will throw some Stenson in a few entries, based solely on the FFA.  No opinion on Snedeker, yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
The General said:

Pick one golfer from each group, have to pick only one from each. Looking for player you think will finish highest on the leaderboard:

*Group A*

Rickie Fowler (8)

*Group B

Louis Oosthuizen (20)

*Group C*

Hideki Matsuyama (26)

*Group D*

Jordan Spieth (32)

Group E*

Charley Hoffman (88)

Oops, I meant to quote facook.

Thanks.  Fowler and Hideki I like.  I put those guys in a pool of my own.  No value with Fowler obviously, but like everyone else I think it will happen one day.  I'd rather him win than anyone.  I used to do the same thing with Hideki, play him every year thinking he would win it, but it's never panned out.  However, he now offers some value so I'll plug him in again.  No on Tiger, don't see it.  Another that offers no value and too many will choose anyway.  If I'm wrong, fun nonetheless.

Stenson seems to be a board consensus value-pick.  I will throw some Stenson in a few entries, based solely on the FFA.  No opinion on Snedeker, yet.
I was poking at you a bit because those were my 5 for General's pool.   :D    But my point was I picked them because I think they each offer the best chance to win out of their respective groups.  I don't actually have money on all of them to win.  Like you said, depends on value.  I think Rose should be the favorite, but I love Rickie as a fan and think at his price he's got a great shot so put some money on him, some oh Hideki, and some on Bryson even though I hope he falls head first into the pond on 15. 

I'm playing Rose in his matchups, fading Spieth in his, and have a few wire to wire bets as well.  more than anything I'm just super excited for the tourney.  Hopefully the weather cooperates and we get an amazing, competitive tourney.

The General said:

*Group A*
Rickie Fowler

*Group B*
Tiger Woods

*Group C*
Hideki Matsuyama

*Group D*
Jordan Spieth

*Group E*
Billy Horschel

Users who are viewing this thread