What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mn High School Hockey (1 Viewer)

Cjw_55106

Footballguy
I know there are several MN residents here and others that probably know the high school hockey tournament is a pretty big event in these parts. If you are "in the know", who are you taking this year?

I crunched the numbers and have Edina beating undefeated Lakeville North in the championship.

It's tough not to have Edina and Lakeville North in the championship game. I don't really think STA will provide much opposition to either.

I think LN wins it all but I'd like to see STA provide a decent showing. Isn't this their first year at AA?

My wife is a Hill Murray grad, so I will publicly rooting for them, but privately looking forward to them losing.

It's tough not to have Edina and Lakeville North in the championship game. I don't really think STA will provide much opposition to either.

I think LN wins it all but I'd like to see STA provide a decent showing. Isn't this their first year at AA?
I'm not sure, but that sure is a great underdog story. They're like the little engine that could!

[Please note, if you think this is sincere, please check your sarcasm detector.]

My wife is a Hill Murray grad, so I will publicly rooting for them, but privately looking forward to them losing.
Im definitly rooting for Hill, but I just dont think they have the horses this year. They've lost almost every time they've played the top teams outside of a split with St Thomas. I wouldnt be shocked if they beat Lakeville, but I dont expect it.

Last night's class A game between New Prague and Breck was awesome. One of the better games I've seen in a while.

Taking the day off tomorrow to go to the semifinal games in both classes. :pickle:

I have tickets available for the consolation games in AA tomorrow (will probably give them away) and two for sale for the championship game. If anyone knows of or is looking for tickets, let me know. Awesome seats too.

Go Bemidji! First time at state in 26 years. First time in nearly 20 years someone other than Moorhead or Roseau is representing Section 8.

Last edited by a moderator:

STA wont get blown out by anyone IMO. They will be competitive. Its their second year in AA, but they are far from the "little guy". Hill, for example, has about 800 students, half of which are girls. STA has about 700, all of which are boys.

I don't know how Blaine lost 5 games this year. I watched them dismantle Centennial in the section final and they're big and fast.

Sadly, my son has opted to go to the Hill basketball section final tonight over the hockey game. :bag:

Thanks for nothing MSHSL.

Can't wait to put this on my second monitor while I work today. Easily my favorite time of year.

I'm more than a bit jealous of those of you that get to go to the games.

HORNETS! HORNETS!

(Clap-Clap, Clap-Clap-Clap)

HORNETS! HORNETS!

I don't know which I like less. Private school cake eaters or public school cake eaters. :boxing:
That's fair. Everything said about Edina is true. It's not true about all of Edina, but on the whole it's earned its stereotype and the hostility towards it. Every Day I Need Attention, and its cousin, Every Day I Need Allowance, are direct hits.The funny thing is, I wasn't friends with the varsity hockey players when I was a student there. Most of them were dooshbags who tried to cut in front of me in the cafeteria lines. My FB friends list has IIRC one former varsity hockey player.

HORNETS! HORNETS!

HORNETS! HORNETS!

I don't know which I like less. Private school cake eaters or public school cake eaters. :boxing:
I can say without question, some poor folks are allowed to attend Hill. :whistle:
Ah yes. The wealthy people feel good when they have a pet poor person. :lol:

(I didn't really grow up this way and I don't really care. It's just fun to tease.)

How does Shattuck St. Mary's equate to these High School Tournaments? Are they considered a AAA club team and thus are not involved. My son plays Mite hockey, his coach's other son tried out for Shattuck and made the "hockey" portion of the tryout, I believe he now has other tryouts relating to academics, as well as an interview process, etc. I heard the price to play at Shattuck and have to believe there is significant scholarships awarded to play there.

STA wont get blown out by anyone IMO. They will be competitive. Its their second year in AA, but they are far from the "little guy". Hill, for example, has about 800 students, half of which are girls. STA has about 700, all of which are boys.
Glad you pointed that out because a lot of people overlooked it when STA was winning the Class A title every year. They really should have been in AA much sooner.Go Bengals!

How does Shattuck St. Mary's equate to these High School Tournaments? Are they considered a AAA club team and thus are not involved. My son plays Mite hockey, his coach's other son tried out for Shattuck and made the "hockey" portion of the tryout, I believe he now has other tryouts relating to academics, as well as an interview process, etc. I heard the price to play at Shattuck and have to believe there is significant scholarships awarded to play there.
Mn has A and AA. These are based on enrollment numbers and not talent. However, a small school can opt to play in AA. Shattucks doesnt play in the Minnesota State High School League. The play in the Upper Midwest Elite League and would easily dominate a high school all star team.

Last night's class A game between New Prague and Breck was awesome. One of the better games I've seen in a while.

Taking the day off tomorrow to go to the semifinal games in both classes. :pickle:

I have tickets available for the consolation games in AA tomorrow (will probably give them away) and two for sale for the championship game. If anyone knows of or is looking for tickets, let me know. Awesome seats too.

Go Bemidji! First time at state in 26 years. First time in nearly 20 years someone other than Moorhead or Roseau is representing Section 8.
It was fun while it lasted.

The Massachusetts HS tournament used to be on a slightly lower par with Minnesota, but it's been struggling of late for a variety of reasons. Losing the old Garden as a main venue hurt, and the talent level has been spread too thin with all of the public, Catholic, prep and junior programs competing for players.

Would love to check out the MN tournament some day.

The Massachusetts HS tournament used to be on a slightly lower par with Minnesota, but it's been struggling of late for a variety of reasons. Losing the old Garden as a main venue hurt, and the talent level has been spread too thin with all of the public, Catholic, prep and junior programs competing for players.

It (IMHO) will never again be quite as magical as it used to be when it was single class but it's still pretty special. :thumbup:

A goal scored in the New Ulm/Mahtomedi game yesterday was the ESPN #1 POTD.
Very nice goal!
I like the shoutout to the quality of HS play in MN. It really is hard to grasp in other states.

I played a ton of roller and some ice in HS in eastern PA. I wasn't the best, but I was pretty good for the area. Played intramural ice hockey in college with a ton of guys who played ice hockey at Minnesota schools. Was blown away at how good they were. They basically made me their ##### and literally skated circles around me. Quite a humbling experience.

It (IMHO) will never again be quite as magical as it used to be when it was single class but it's still pretty special. :thumbup:
Were you in MN during the "Tier I" and "Tier II" experiment before the current system? The top 8 teams in each region played for the "Tier I" state title, and the 9th on down were classified "Tier II" and played in a separate state tournament. They intent was to try to get some separation while allowing the small powerhouses like Roseau and Warroad to be in the same tournament as Edina and Duluth East. It didn't go well. One year the Tier II title game had a south suburb who finished near the bottom of the Lake Conference. So instead of a small school title, it was like the NIT of high school hockey. Two tournaments with schools separated by enrollment size happened soon after that.

GOOOOOO HOUUUUUNNNNDDDSSSS!!!!

Tied up with 1:58 in the 3rd!!!!

Overtime, baby!!!

Users who are viewing this thread