What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mn High School Hockey (1 Viewer)

Didn't see Edina play earlier today but if they're as good as Lakeville North then we're headed for an epic championship.

Lakeville North is awesome.

I missed HM vs LN due to effing work. That Duluth East ending was outstanding. Last bit of hockey I got to watch until now.

I don't have a horse in the Eden Prairie v Blaine match-up. Just want to see a fun game.

Just curious: How often do you see truly elite teams getting "upset" in early rounds in Minnesota?

The reason I ask is because Massachusetts has the "Super Eight" tournament, which is now in its 25th year. It was created back in 1991 because the Catholic schools were becoming too dominant in the Division 1 state tournament, and it is believed to be the only "invitational" postseason tournament in the country (a committee selects the eight-team field, much like the NCAA tournament).

However, it's just become a different level of tournament in which the public schools have trouble competing with the Catholics. Only a couple of publics get selected each year now, and only two ever have won it (out of only five ever to make the championship game).

They've tried all kinds of different formats -- double-elimination, Olympic pool style, and now best-of-three quarterfinal series just like Hockey East. But most people believe that just makes it impossible to ever really beat the Catholic teams.

There is a bit of a groundswell to return to some sort of single-elimination format. Just wondering if it would really make that much of a difference.

By "early" I assume you mean they didnt make it to the state tournament? I believe 7 of the 8 teams at the tournament had a decent shot of winning it all.

As has been mentioned, there are two tournaments, A and AA. Of the top ten ranked teams in MN, 3 didnt make it to either the A or AA tournament.....and two of the three brackets were won by another ranked team. So.....upsets happen, but the cream usually rises to the top for the most part.

Wow. Congrats to Duluth East. Always big to win this time of year, and I'm sure toppling a giant like Edina makes it all the more satisfying.

I guess I have to stick with my suburban brethren and root for EP here.

Who won't be pulling for the greyhounds? Consecutive upsets and now battling the top seeded and undefeated team? I smell a blowout, but I've been wrong in this thread before.

Who won't be pulling for the greyhounds? Consecutive upsets and now battling the top seeded and undefeated team? I smell a blowout, but I've been wrong in this thread before.
With ya. Like to see them finish it, but I have an eery feeling midnight is on its way for this Cinderella. Go hounds!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave Spehar tweeted "That time of year when the North hates the Metro and the Metro hates Private schools and Everyone hates Edina"

Pretty much sums it up.
:lol:
Spehar would know. He's one of the best players Duluth East ever had. He came down to St. Paul one March and scored hat tricks in the quarterfinals, semis, and championship game to lead the Greyhounds to an impressive state title.

Dave Spehar tweeted "That time of year when the North hates the Metro and the Metro hates Private schools and Everyone hates Edina"

Pretty much sums it up.
:lol:
Spehar would know. He's one of the best players Duluth East ever had. He came down to St. Paul one March and scored hat tricks in the quarterfinals, semis, and championship game to lead the Greyhounds to an impressive state title.
Against Moorhead in the championship game. :sadbanana:

Looks like I might be using my tickets to the Championship game. Not like it's a punishment.

Why isn't this thread pinned yet?

East Grand Forks capitalizing on their opportunities. 4-2 Green Wave. Could send Hermantown to their sixth straight championship game loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Just wow. Talk about a rollercoaster for Hermantown. And six straight losses in the title game is just unreal.

uwillbdeadsoon said:
Wow. Just wow. Talk about a rollercoaster for Hermantown. And six straight losses in the title game is just unreal.
As A Hermantown Grad. I really feel for those for those kids.

Mullets, Ape Drapes, Hockey Hairs, Kentucky Waterfalls, Canadian Passports... as long as it's Business In The Front and Party In The Back, I'm in.

TheAristocrat said:
:lmao: Loved the video as always but laughed especially at the fast-forward through STA.
I missed a lot of background gags on my initial viewing. On my rewatch (and seriously, if you've watched this one why have you not watched it twice?) I caught "HAIRMANTOWN" and "Little Town On The West Side With A Dream". Oh, man. :lmao:

"If that's a salad, it's a chop. Because a MAN just ordered it."

Users who are viewing this thread