What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Marshall Signs with Giants (1 Viewer)

Bigboy10182000

Footballguy
@AdamSchefter: Bears have agreed to trade WR Brandon Marshall to the Jets pending a physical, per league source.

Signs with Giants 3/8/17 reportedly for 2 years and 12 million 

Last edited by a moderator:
buy low on marshall and decker. something is brewing in NY.
Why? Is a good QB going to magically appear or do you think Gino can make a big jump?
i think any player gets better when they have better weapons. decker, kerley a disgruntle harvin half way through the year. geno really has not had any weapons. how would geno even get better if they didnt help him with talent. new gm, new coach new oc, new regime. things change in the NFL so quick. irony in this is the chicago qb siutation is going to be a mess this year with the drama and cutler being cutler. i consider this lateral in value since marshall was already not the #1 in chicago with jeffery getting the looks but he will be in nyj.

Marshall in NYC could be a real train wreck with the media.

Why? Is a good QB going to magically appear or do you think Gino can make a big jump?
Nick Foles seems like a likely candidate in a draft day trade for the Jets #6 overall pick.
Interesting to see how Marshall deals with Geno...
The NY press is going to love to listen to Marshall bash Smith.
Or Mariotta?
one of these will happen i think.

Harvin, Marshall, Decker. If Geno can't get it done with all of that, beyond time to move on.

Could very well be with Foles, which would be really interesting if that deal were to get done. Might make losing the picks to keep Harvin and what they're giving up for Marshall much more palatable.

I don't really think the way to build a franchise is with stud positional players. As great as guys like McCoy & Marshall are, I think they were both bad moves.

How often does Bill Belickick sign high priced WRs or RBs?

I like this move for the Jets. Marshall is a true #1 and they haven't had that since...Keyshawn?

I don't think this trade hurts Marshall's fantasy value, he was clearly falling behind Jeffery in Chicago, and Trestman was gone anyway. Gailey is a very pass heavy coach, and clearly thinks highly of Marshall. I'd bet he is a solid WR2 this year.

i think any player gets better when they have better weapons. decker, kerley a disgruntle harvin half way through the year. geno really has not had any weapons. how would geno even get better if they didnt help him with talent. new gm, new coach new oc, new regime. things change in the NFL so quick. irony in this is the chicago qb siutation is going to be a mess this year with the drama and cutler being cutler. i consider this lateral in value since marshall was already not the #1 in chicago with jeffery getting the looks but he will be in nyj.
I think you sound like a Marshal owner whose view is a bit optimistic. Now if by, buy low you mean, get Marshal at wr3 prices, I agree with you, but I think most Marshal owners will want wr2 value. I don't care how optimistic you want to be. If Marshals price is wr2, he isn't a buy low
this site is great for over reactions.

I don't really think the way to build a franchise is with stud positional players. As great as guys like McCoy & Marshall are, I think they were both bad moves.

Belichick would never trade for a guy like Randy Moss...or Chad Johnson...or Corey Dillon...or LaGarette Blount...or

Belichick would never trade for a guy like Randy Moss...or Chad Johnson...or Corey Dillon...or LaGarette Blount...or
Plus, how many teams have Tom Brady at QB and Belichick at Coach?

Nick Foles seems like a likely candidate in a draft day trade for the Jets #6 overall pick.
Even as much as I like Foles I don't seem him being #6 overall worthy. The Jets are looking to fix their offense and the next missing pieces would be the QB in round 1 and the RB in round 2

How many of those were trades and how many were high priced?

If this Marshall deal is for a 5 would that be considered high priced?

Even as much as I like Foles I don't seem him being #6 overall worthy. The Jets are looking to fix their offense and the next missing pieces would be the QB in round 1 and the RB in round 2
I have suspected that if the Eagles were to trade into the Jets spot for the #6 pick it would cost Foles plus a couple of picks.

He said high priced. None of these guys cost very much at all.

Except Foles isn't worth the #6 pick.
No but he could be part of a package to move up

Ithink mariota goes at 2 to someone maybe not Tennessee

I meant dollars wise, not pick wise

Do another example from a team that does not have a future HOF qb. That is the trump card.

Moss, Dillon and Blount (the first time) were trades - Marshall cost a 5th and has a reasonable contract (not high priced either).

In draft picks, that's true. But the same is true for the McCoy and Marshall trades. The McCoy trade definitely having a higher cost obviously.

But as far as salary goes, Moss was making about $10M a year, Ochoa was making about $6-7M a year, Dillon made about $4.5M a year. Those weren't small potatoes.

Neither did Marshall.

I meant dollars wise, not pick wise
Moss was making more than Marshall and Ocho Cinco about the same. Dillon was fairly high paid for a RB. Blount was on a cheap rookie contract.

Bottom line, I wasn't knocking the Patriots (obviously they know what they're doing) - was just responding to a post that said Belichick would never go after stud skill position players, which wasn't really true.

I like this move for the Jets. Marshall is a true #1 and they haven't had that since...Keyshawn?

I don't think this trade hurts Marshall's fantasy value, he was clearly falling behind Jeffery in Chicago, and Trestman was gone anyway. Gailey is a very pass heavy coach, and clearly thinks highly of Marshall. I'd bet he is a solid WR2 this year.
I agree with this take.

People forget that Fox is in town now, and will probably look to run the ball more than Trestman did. And Jeffery was clearly becoming the go-to guy even with the Cutler/Marshall chemistry. Gailey likes to chuck the ball, so look for Marshall to be targeted early and often.

For those wondering what geno had to work with, it was not much. having a run heavy coach with a bad OC was not helpful, two players in two years with over 40 catches. i still dont think geno is the answer but marshall should be helpful as a legit #1 option.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2013.htm(Kerley, Nelson and Hill)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2014.htm(Decker, Kerley and Harvin for half season)
Wouldn't having a run-heavy coach actually make it easier to pass, since defenses were obviously playing to stop the run, leaving WRs in man coverage>

At least he'll be a lot closer to the "Inside the NFL" studio now. He was flying in from Chicago every Tuesday last year.

Not to get too far off topic, but the Jets are clearly trying to upgrade their offense and many say the Jets take Mariotta at 6 or that is the place the Eagles trade up to get him at 6. This could be so FASCINATING on draft day with the Redskins at 5. The skins should trade back and get more picks. If anyone else wants to move up for Mariotta (especially someone not as far back as 20 like the Eagles), then the Skins have quite a bit of leverage.

Should the skins trade to anyone just to get some more picks and make sure the Eagles don't get Mariotta? Can they get even more from the Eagles than the Jets could so that the Jets can't simply take Mariotta themselves? Fascinating stuff really...glad the draft is in primetime.

>> Back to Marshall talk...

• Smile
Reactions: Jed
Not to get too far off topic, but the Jets are clearly trying to upgrade their offense and many say the Jets take Mariotta at 6 or that is the place the Eagles trade up to get him at 6. This could be so FASCINATING on draft day with the Redskins at 5. The skins should trade back and get more picks. If anyone else wants to move up for Mariotta (especially someone not as far back as 20 like the Eagles), then the Skins have quite a bit of leverage.

Should the skins trade to anyone just to get some more picks and make sure the Eagles don't get Mariotta? Can they get even more from the Eagles than the Jets could so that the Jets can't simply take Mariotta themselves? Fascinating stuff really...glad the draft is in primetime.

>> Back to Marshall talk...
I was thinking the exact same thing. The football gods might be doing the Skins a favor, maybe feeling pity for them after the RG3 trade since Robert hasn't been the same since that injury. It would be awesome for them to get a boatload of picks for that 1.5. Crossing fingers as a life long Skins fan.

Users who are viewing this thread