What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shane Vereen to the NY GIANTS. ? (1 Viewer)

As a Vereen owner, can't be too happy with this one. Why leave one crowded backfield and join another?

I think this is an opportunity to be the lead dog. Rashad Jennings is 30 and coming off an injury season. Williams is a 4th round pick who averaged 3.3 ypc as a rookie. This could actually be a fantastic landing spot for him.

I think this is an opportunity to be the lead dog. Rashad Jennings is 30 and coming off an injury season. Williams is a 4th round pick who averaged 3.3 ypc as a rookie. This could actually be a fantastic landing spot for him.
He could at least have a Tiki Barber type role - with Williams as the Brandon Jacobs (once Jennings invariably gets inured or is gone).

I think this is an ok signing spot for him. David Wilson lite? That might be a bit of a reach, but where else was Vereen going to end up? Jags (ouch), San Diego (have Dammit Donald and Woodhead), New Orleans (what I was hoping)....

Either way, he was going to be signed as a 3rd down type, so why not NYG? He's an excellent compliment to a young Andre Williams in Macadoo's new spread? type offense. Solid NFL QB at the helm, good WR and TE. I think Rashad Jennings serves 1 year in this transition, then it will be Williams-Vereen.

I think this is an ok signing spot for him. David Wilson lite? That might be a bit of a reach, but where else was Vereen going to end up? Jags (ouch), San Diego (have Dammit Donald and Woodhead), New Orleans (what I was hoping)....

Either way, he was going to be signed as a 3rd down type, so why not NYG? He's an excellent compliment to a young Andre Williams in Macadoo's new spread? type offense. Solid NFL QB at the helm, good WR and TE. I think Rashad Jennings serves 1 year in this transition, then it will be Williams-Vereen.
I think depending on Andre Williams as the NYG #1 RB will backfire.

I like the spot for Vereen. A similar role to New England at least but competition isn't very proven so maybe some expanded opportunity and I think that offense can be good if Eli can play near last years level. OBJ, Cruz coming back, Randle. This team has the potential to score a lot of points.

I don't understand the Giants. They sign Vereen and seem to have no idea how to use him. He is not a run up the middle running back. He is a sneak him out of the backfield throw him a short pass and let him run. Didn't they watch the Superbowl and what he did to Seattle? Yes, I am an upset Vereen owner.

No comments between March and now?

What's odd is that with Cruz out and no viable 3rd WR option the Giants could have really used Vereen in the pass game. I thought he would have been perfect vs the Cowboys and could have made a difference. The playcalling is often hard to understand up there in general.

No comments between March and now?

What's odd is that with Cruz out and no viable 3rd WR option the Giants could have really used Vereen in the pass game. I thought he would have been perfect vs the Cowboys and could have made a difference. The playcalling is often hard to understand up there in general.
The Giants have some of the most vanilla play calling on offense I have ever seen. No deception. Everything is very obvious. Just blah. Josh mcdaniels is worlds better as an than Ben Mcadoo.

The one thing I'll give mcadoo is that he has helped Eli operate well by getting the ball out of his hands quicker and throwing less INTs behind that shaky offensive line.

So he cut down on the mistakes but also sucked the life out of the offense.

Give it time. They had two bad losses and then a short week. Now they're getting Cruz back and they've got ten days to figure things out.

Jennings is ostensibly the lead back, but he's averaging less than 3 yards per carry. Williams is almost 3.3. Vereen is 3.8, and leads the backfield in total yards thanks to his receiving.

When Cruz comes back - whether you think he's an improvement or not - the Giants will think he's an improvement, and will want a good pass protector back there so they can go three wide on first down. That's something they haven't really been able to do, but is something they practiced all off season, and they want to run the ball on early downs in three wide sets with Vereen.

That small uptick in carries should take him from 60 yards a game to 70 or 80 - around 1200 total yards. If he excels in the role, there's upside from there, because the other guys aren't keeping him off the field.

Activated from IR today. Anything to see here?
Only that the NYG backfield will be even more of a muddled mess than it already is, behind an equally inconsistent offensive line.

If you can manage to, I'd avoid anything from that backfield now that FF playoffs are upon us and bye weeks have passed.

Users who are viewing this thread