What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Phillip Dorsett, HOU (1 Viewer)

I got him yesterday in a trade. Gave up Tevin Coleman & Markus Wheaton for Arian Foster/Phillip Dorsett & a 2016 2nd rd pick. Its redemption for passing on him in my rookie draft when I took David Johnson.

I got him yesterday in a trade. Gave up Tevin Coleman & Markus Wheaton for Arian Foster/Phillip Dorsett & a 2016 2nd rd pick. Its redemption for passing on him in my rookie dr

aft when I took David Johnson.
So Foster for free. Nice.

I still can't believe this guy continues to fall in rookie drafts. He should be going no later than 2.03 in a 12 teamer.

Colts first-round WR Phillip Dorsett has been so fast in practice that OC Pep Hamilton has had a hard time observing him from the sideline.
"You have to really focus on him to see him because a lot of times he is running so fast it's hard to keep up with," were Hamilton's exact words. "If you look at Phillip, he is a smaller but stout receiver that has exceptional speed. But he has pretty good football aptitude as well." Dorsett is a player we're looking forward to seeing unleashed in preseason games. Aug 8 - 1:51 PM
Source: Terre Haute Tribune-Star

Teammate on Dorsett: ‘He’s ready. He’s arrived.’
At first Mike Adams wasn’t buying. Fast? That’s all anyone talked about with this kid. He’s fast. Really fast. But Adams knows fast. He’s been an NFL safety for 11 years. He practices against T.Y. Hilton every day. This kid, this rookie out of Miami, that everyone was gushing over? Nothing special, Adams figured. Nothing he hadn’t seen before.

“When I first saw him on tape, I was like, ‘No, he’s not that fast,’” Adams said. “I honestly said that.”

Then he saw Phillip Dorsett run through a drill at practice. Then he changed his mind.

“I was like…” Adams says. Then he tells you turn off your recorder.

“When I saw him open up, I said, ‘(Expletive)!’ ”

Now Adams buys it. Now he sees the Colts’ first-round pick churning out that jaw-dropping, 4.2 speed every day in training camp. It’s what makes Phillip Dorsett another tantalizing talent in an already well-stocked offensive cupboard. As Dorsett likes to say, you can’t teach speed.

A sobering reminder: Dorsett is just a week into his NFL career. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

But talent is talent. All the wide receiver out of Miami has done since arriving in May as the Colts’ somewhat-stunning first-round pick (defensive line, anyone?) is impress. He impressed in rookie camp. He impressed in minicamp. Now he’s impressing in training camp.

Much like the University of Miami brethren he worked out with in the offseason, Andre Johnson and Frank Gore, Dorsett is a man of few words. (Wise move, rookie.) His play speaks louder. His speed speaks louder. He has future star written all over him.

“You have to really focus on him to see him,” Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton says of Dorsett. “Because a lot of times he’s running so fast it’s hard to keep up with.”

Take Saturday afternoon. After slipping past cornerback D’Joun Smith and safety Dwight Lowery, Dorsett swiped a 60-yard bomb from quarterback Andrew Luck out of the sky, hauling in the football just over his shoulder. Colts fans are bound to see one or two — or three or four — of those types of plays this season. Count on it.

Why? It’s darn near impossible for a defender to keep Dorsett in front of him.

“He can fly,” defensive coordinator Greg Manusky said. “He can take the top off defenses.”

Adams knows. He saw that catch.

“The first thing I said was, ‘He’s ready. He’s arrived,’ ” Adams said.

This is Week 1, remember.

Adding Dorsett’s skill set to this Colts’ offense — tops in the league last year in passing yards — is akin to a car collector adding a Lamborghini to a garage that already includes a Maserati, a Porsche and two Bentleys. You can never have too many toys, it seems.

But painting Dorsett as T.Y. Hilton 2.0 — both are 5-9, 180-pound South Florida boys who can run like the wind — is ambitious at this stage. Hilton has earned his reputation as one of the league’s top wideouts. He’s a Pro Bowler with more receiving yards (3,289) in his first three seasons than any player in Colts history. That’s more than Marvin Harrison. That’s more than Reggie Wayne. That tells you something.

Dorsett, meanwhile, has yet to play an NFL game.

And to hear Adams tell it, there are differences in their game, subtle as they may be. He starts with their speed.

“When T.Y. runs fast, you can see it,” Adams said. “When Phillip runs, you can’t really see it. It’s a smooth fast. It’s effortless. It’s gliding. The way he gets out of his breaks, it’s so smooth. I haven’t seen that in a long time. I haven’t seen guys run routes like him in a while. I can’t even describe it.”

Dorsett’s speed being what it is — rare — he still has to learn the Colts’ playbook. He still has to master the complexities that come with the different receiver positions (a must in Hamilton’s system). He considers himself lucky, then, that he was drafted into a wide receiver’s room that already included the likes of Andre Johnson (13,597 career yards to his name), Hilton (a budding star) and Donte Moncrief (who is coming off a promising rookie campaign). Dorsett just makes them deeper.

He has listened and he has learned. He takes notes from Hilton (“How to be crafty out there,” Dorsett says) and from Johnson (“The way to work.”) He’ll undoubtedly absorb more as the seasons wear on.

There’s also Luck, now more veteran than NFL youngster. Dorsett’s good fortune took him from catching passes from a freshman quarterback his senior year at Miami to Indianapolis, home to a three-time Pro Bowler and the QB free agents are drooling to play with.

“Night and day,” Dorsett said, comparing the two. “Andrew has total control of the offense. He helps you. Doesn’t get on you too hard. If you mess up, he’ll correct you and you’ll get it right after practice.”

So far in training camp Hamilton has lined up Dorsett all over the offense — a peek into just how creative the coordinator might be with his new Lamborghini. While Dorsett’s skillset screams slot position (name a linebacker than can keep up with him), the Colts’ formations will be so fluid with personnel he could line up in any of three or four spots come Sundays.

What Dorsett must do now, amidst the dog days of training camp, is prove to Luck he knows where to be.

“He’s a guy that our quarterback is starting to trust,” Hamilton said. “The more and more reps that he gets with Andrew, the more he will be able to contribute in our offense.”

It’s a slow process for most rookies. Phillip Dorsett just likes doing things faster.

LITTLE FEET, BIG SHOES

It’s unlikely given the Colts’ talent at receiver but Phillip Dorsett has the opportunity to follow in impressive (if small) footsteps. Since the Colts moved to Indianapolis in 1984, they have produced three of the 10 most successful rookie receivers 6-feet, 190 pounds or smaller:

Name, Year, Team, Rec, Yards, TDs

Bill Brooks, 1986, Ind, 65, 1,132, 8

Ernest Givins, 1986, Hou, 61, 1,062, 3

Eddie Royal, 2008, Den, 91, 980, 5

Eddie Brown, 1985, Cin, 53, 942, 8

Gary Clark, 1985, Was, 72, 926, 5

DeSean Jackson, 2008, Phi, 62, 912, 2

Anthony Armstrong, 2010, Was, 44, 871, 3

T.Y. Hilton, 2012, Ind, 50, 861, 7

Louis Lipps, 1984, Pit, 45, 860, 9

Marvin Harrison, 1996, Ind, 64, 836, 8

Is going in the 2nd round of dynasty drafts? If yes, that's hard to believe. I don't care who is in front of him because he was totally underutilized at Miami. He's going to be a star!

Is going in the 2nd round of dynasty drafts? If yes, that's hard to believe. I don't care who is in front of him because he was totally underutilized at Miami. He's going to be a star!
MFL adp data from just the month of August and he's going 18th, behind both QBs and Eric Kendricks. Given that non-IDP leagues are included, there's a decent chance Stephone Anthony (22nd) and Vic Beasley (24th) are going ahead of him as well.

I have to assume people are passing on him in favor of WRs with a clearer path to immediate contributions. Owners near the top of the 2nd round likely already have strong playoff rosters and may be trying to get that immediate impact guy that can put them over the top.

Kids gotta learn to create space on the sideline for his 9 route. CB was playing clear outside technique and he never even tried to press his inside shoulder or move him form that spot. Just tried to run staging around him to the sideline and got pinched, perfectly, by the CB.

He should take note from Miles Austin who did it perfect just a few drives later. You can't just run by guys in the NFL even with all that speed.

He's looks pretty dang good still.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kids gotta learn to create space on the sideline for his 9 route. CB was playing clear outside technique and he never even tried to press his inside shoulder or move him form that spot. Just tried to run staging around him to the sideline and got pinched, perfectly, by the CB.

He should take note from Miles Austin who did it perfect just a few drives later. You can't just run by guys in the NFL even with all that speed.

He's looks pretty dang good still.
This is something he will learn with time. Cosel said it best last week when he noted, "Dorsett plays to his speed." He's a difference maker and I look forward to the conversation surrounding him this time next year.

I was on the clock in a rookie draft today with the 2.02 (traded down from the 2.12). Funchess (who I really like) and Dorsett were still on the board. I ended up trading the 2.09 and 2.12 for the 2.03 and a 2016 3rd. Ended up taking Funchess at 2.02 and Dorsett at 2.03. Feel real good about it. I love these late drafts. Last year I drafted Evans at the 1.04 and OBJ at 2.04. I went from finishing 9th in 2013 to winning the league in 2014. Draft below.

1.01 Gordon, Melvin SDC RB

1.02 Cooper, Amari OAK WR

1.03 Gurley, Todd STL RB

1.04 Abdullah, Ameer DET RB

1.05 Agholor, Nelson PHI

1.06 White, Kevin CHI WR

1.07 Yeldon, T.J. JAC RB

1.08 Parker, DeVante MIA WR

1.09 Coleman, Tevin ATL RB

1.10 Perriman, Breshad BAL WR

1.11 Green-Beckham, Dorial TEN WR

1.12 Johnson, Duke CLE RB

2.01 Johnson, David ARI RB

2.02 Funchess, Devin CAR WR

2.03 Dorsett, Phillip IND WR

2.04 Mariota, Marcus TEN QB

I was on the clock in a rookie draft today with the 2.02 (traded down from the 2.12). Funchess (who I really like) and Dorsett were still on the board. I ended up trading the 2.09 and 2.12 for the 2.03 and a 2016 3rd. Ended up taking Funchess at 2.02 and Dorsett at 2.03. Feel real good about it. I love these late drafts. Last year I drafted Evans at the 1.04 and OBJ at 2.04. I went from finishing 9th in 2013 to winning the league in 2014. Draft below.1.01 Gordon, Melvin SDC RB

1.02 Cooper, Amari OAK WR

1.03 Gurley, Todd STL RB

1.04 Abdullah, Ameer DET RB

1.05 Agholor, Nelson PHI

1.06 White, Kevin CHI WR

1.07 Yeldon, T.J. JAC RB

1.08 Parker, DeVante MIA WR

1.09 Coleman, Tevin ATL RB

1.10 Perriman, Breshad BAL WR

1.11 Green-Beckham, Dorial TEN WR

1.12 Johnson, Duke CLE RB

2.01 Johnson, David ARI RB

2.02 Funchess, Devin CAR WR

2.03 Dorsett, Phillip IND WR

2.04 Mariota, Marcus TEN QB
I assume the White pick was made after his surgery announcement?

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva 7h7 hours ago

What stood out to me in Phillip Dorsett's preseason debut was his route diversity. Wasnt just out there running 9s. There's your #Colts WR3.

Very good point. He's moving up my rookie draft boards into that mid 1st if the next two preseason games are similar to yesterday.
He was running more than 9 routes, but that doesn't mean he was running his routes well. Heck, he didn't even run his 9 route well. He's got a lot of polish to put on but he looks the part IMO.

What stood out to me in Phillip Dorsett's preseason debut was his route diversity. Wasnt just out there running 9s. There's your #Colts WR3.

Very good point. He's moving up my rookie draft boards into that mid 1st if the next two preseason games are similar to yesterday.
He was running more than 9 routes, but that doesn't mean he was running his routes well. Heck, he didn't even run his 9 route well.He's got a lot of polish to put on but he looks the part IMO.
He wasn't running crisp routes but he still was producing which bodes well especially for a rookie.

This year he could produce 'decent' numbers while learning on the job. Next year he could really take off.

He was running more than 9 routes, but that doesn't mean he was running his routes well. Heck, he didn't even run his 9 route well.He's got a lot of polish to put on but he looks the part IMO.
He wasn't running crisp routes but he still was producing which bodes well especially for a rookie.

This year he could produce 'decent' numbers while learning on the job. Next year he could really take off.
Exactly. If you put him in the category that he wasn't running good routes then I'd hate to see what he does when running crisp routes and he polishes his game. 4 for 51 isn't bad for first action.

I'll be curious how the next two games play.

This ADP rise was so obvious a couple months ago, which is why so many of us were clamoring to scoop him up in the 2nd round. Baffling how far he had been falling in nearly all drafts, this was such a predictable outcome and we're only one week into preseason.

Got him at 3.11 in our draft back in early May. It's heavy IDP scoring so there were more players taken than average leagues but still a great deal :yes:

Got him at 3.11 in our draft back in early May. It's heavy IDP scoring so there were more players taken than average leagues but still a great deal :yes:
Jesus. That's around where John Brown, a similar prospect that was almost three years older, drafted multiple rounds later, and into a much worse situation, was drafted last year in rookie drafts.

Dorsett has been an amazing value all off season. Even in redrafts, this guy is so worth a late round flyer. I have been able to nab Dorsett in rounds 15+ in nearly all of my redrafts. Out of 16 total redrafts so far, i probably have him in 9 of them, including 2 FFPC leagues. I have a feeling he won't be so easy to get in drafts nearing labor day. One of my favorite reasons for drafting early is all the value. In one draftmaster league, I drafted 4 of the 1st round rookie WRs all in round 10+ and those 4 are: Agholor, Dorsett, Perriman & Parker. I mean, one of those 4 should be in the running of ROY which means they'll be very fantasy relevant. Sorry to get OT, but I love early drafts!

I know, "cool story, bro".

I was fortunate enough to see him live at the combine. I thought his routes weren't perfect, but his shiftiness made up for it. He seemed to catch everything and I could easily see him running crossing routes or going deep with ease. If Welker or Edelman can do it, I say Dorsett can do it but faster.
:D

Hoping for the best for T.Y. Hilton and his possible concussion issue. But if he can't go Week 1, does Dorsett or Moncrief offer more FF starting potential at Buffalo? Does Buffalo have a "fast" field?

ETA: Hoping this does not sound like a WDIS question. Just wondering who has the most value if Hilton has to miss time, especially on fast turfs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess Hilton should be cleared this week (good news), but I still think the Colts' No. 3 has 2015 value.

I was figuring Dorsett had the inside track, but he's missed the last couple weeks with a minor injury. Wondering if Moncrief has temporarily passed him. There is redraft value to be had here, I'm telling ya.

I'm all in on Dorsett after owning and selling Moncrief high last year. I don't think Moncrief is a bum or anything. Just think Dorsett will find a niche and be fantasy relevant sooner than many think. Particularly the Moncrief owners. Of course if you own one or the other you hate the other guy. This is hatfield vs McCoy debate. You aren't allowed to straddle the fence on Dorsett v Moncrief.

In redraft is this guy worth rostering in redraft? I am keeping him in one dynasty league I have.

I thought it was interesting that the Colts drafted him even though they have Moncrief, or is TY Hilton's resigning kill Dorsett until Andre Johnson leaves?

Not worth a redraft roster spot at the moment. If there's someone who can help you now, go get him, dump Dorsett and don't think twice about it. In dynasty, he's a strong hold/buy.

Against most other teams/corners, Dorsett likely wouldve had 100+ and a TD last week, if anyone watched the game.

Luck hit him on a short pass that he took for 30+, I believe... That's the kind of stuff he can rip off at any time.

Super strong hold in dynasty... as the season goes on, he'll be a commodity in redraft

1 out of 6 targets?

I realize most were deeper routes and that wasn't working against the Jets, but I've read a couple places this dude is just lost. Not on the same page as Luck and not running good routes ATM.

1 out of 6 targets?

I realize most were deeper routes and that wasn't working against the Jets, but I've read a couple places this dude is just lost. Not on the same page as Luck and not running good routes ATM.
dorsett and luck were FLYING in preseason

doubt that they're "lost"

1 out of 6 targets?

dorsett and luck were FLYING in preseason

doubt that they're "lost"
ORLY

71 Phillip Dorsett IND WR 7 72 10.3 24.0 20 0
  • PHI - 3 out of 3 passes from Luck: B2B "short right" completions for 15 yards to open the game, later a deep out for 18. Lost fumble after a "short left" pass from Hasselbeck. Muffed 2 punts in the 4th. 4-51-0 for the game.
  • CHI - caught 3 passes from Hasselbeck for 21 yards. No targets from Luck.
  • STL - Dorsett DNP INJ
  • CIN - Dorsett had no targets but he did have a couple FC punt returns
One deep out on the second drive of the preseason = FLYING. Got it.

Rotoworld:

Phillip Dorsett caught 2-of-3 targets for seven yards in the Colts' Week 4 win over the Jaguars.

Dorsett was limited to four-wide sets, but outplayed Andre Johnson for the second straight week. The Colts didnt attempt any passes downfield with Matt Hasselbeck starting. Dorsett should push for a bigger role if Johnson's struggles continue. With Andrew Luck's status up in the air, Dorsett isn't a Week 5 fantasy option.

Oct 4 - 6:20 PM

Someone in my dynasty league dropped Dorsett this past week so I snatched him up. I think he thought no one would notice during his Def's bye week. Hope it pays off sooner than later.

Users who are viewing this thread