What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Phillip Dorsett, HOU (1 Viewer)

Phil Perry of NBC Sports Boston considers Phillip Dorsett the "logical fit" for the Patriots' third receiver position.

Perry expects Dorsett, who the Patriots brought back on a one-year deal this offseason, to work in three-wide sets alongside slot receiver Julian Edelman and first-round rookie N'Keal Harry. With Josh Gordon's status uncertain and Demaryius Thomas no lock to make the team coming off an Achilles tear, newcomer Dontrelle Inman figures to be Dorsett's main competition for the No. 3 role in Foxboro. The 2015 first-rounder offers elite speed (he clocked a 4.33 forty at the Combine) but little else.

SOURCE: NBC Sports Boston

Jun 2, 2019, 9:06 AM ET

Phillip Dorsett caught 7-of-7 targets for 47 yards in the Patriots' third preseason game against Carolina.

He finished the night with seven targets, but notably received a team-high five looks with Brady under center. It did happen without both Julian Edelman and Josh Gordon on the field, though. Whatever the case, Dorsett was extremely reliable in his first showing with TB12 this preseason and stands to start ahead of rookie N'Keal Harry in three-wide sets. It was an extremely positive showing after Dorsett was sidelined with a thumb injury just last week.

Aug 22, 2019, 9:56 PM ET

Go back to week 1.

Pats running 20 personnel at least until Watson gets back which is Edleman, Dorsett and Gordon, 2 RBs and 0 TEs.
IMO, Dorsett and Gordon will be very hit or miss. Dorsett will probably see 4 or 5 targets. Week 1 he cashed those looks into the tune of almost 100 yards and 2 TD. He could easily see 5 targets for 3 catches and 25 yards and no TD.

IMO, Dorsett and Gordon will be very hit or miss. Dorsett will probably see 4 or 5 targets. Week 1 he cashed those looks into the tune of almost 100 yards and 2 TD. He could easily see 5 targets for 3 catches and 25 yards and no TD.
I'm thinking of starting both Dorsett and Gordon.  Hopefully, that'll eliminate some of the fluctuation.

You’re probably right but they’ll both “hit” for some nice weeks when they do. A few boom/bust types in your lineup balances out over time.

What about this Meyers kid?  At least long term.  Dorsett will not win many leagues for you and I don't see how you can play him week to week.  I'd much rather take a flyer on Meyers and drop him knowing that I will drop Dorsett much sooner IMO.  Dynasty speaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up Dorsett last week because I knew that AB wouldn't last and I figure it's just a matter of time before Gordon goes away. Edelman gets dinged up as well. I'll happily start him when that happens or as a boom or bust flex if need be.

Before people go nuts over Dorsett, he’s now played in 64 career games. He just set his career high in receiving yards in Week 1 with 95. That was his first game with 2 TD. He’s had more than 5 receptions in a game once. He’s scored 10 TD’s, so it’s not like he’s a red zone threat or someone that regularly gets in the end zone.

Sure, I guess if he somehow ends up with a huge snap count increase in a primary role he may have a lot more fantasy value, but he’s played two-thirds of the snaps this year and only seen 7 targets. 

Before people go nuts over Dorsett, he’s now played in 64 career games. He just set his career high in receiving yards in Week 1 with 95. That was his first game with 2 TD. He’s had more than 5 receptions in a game once. He’s scored 10 TD’s, so it’s not like he’s a red zone threat or someone that regularly gets in the end zone.

Sure, I guess if he somehow ends up with a huge snap count increase in a primary role he may have a lot more fantasy value, but he’s played two-thirds of the snaps this year and only seen 7 targets. 
Eight, but who's counting?

I think eight.

PFF says seven for Gordon, too, so there's that.

But it's eight.

Dude pro football reference says 7.
Dang it. PFF got me again. They need to update that stuff. 

They've got eight per PFF and I knew PFF would be wrong for some reason. I double checked. I was kidding though, too, bruh. It doesn't matter. Anarchy's point still stands. Dorsett, while much-improved, has not seen a commensurate rise in usage, really.

Dang it. PFF got me again. They need to update that stuff. 

They've got eight per PFF and I knew PFF would be wrong for some reason. I double checked. I was kidding though, too, bruh. It doesn't matter. Anarchy's point still stands. Dorsett, while much-improved, has not seen a commensurate rise in usage, really.
Well, is it 7 or 8 though? It might not seem like a big difference. But if it's 7 he's on pace for 56 targets; if it's 8 he's on pace 64. At 19 ypt and .28TD% that's a difference of 150 yards and 2TDs on the season.

(Kidding also)

Phillip Dorsett contributed six grabs for 53 yards and a touchdown on seven targets while adding two carries for an additional 12 yards Sunday in New England’s Week 3 win over the Jets.

He capped New England's second drive of the afternoon with his third touchdown of 2019, connecting on a 25-yard play-action pass from Tom Brady. Dorsett's three touchdowns are as many as he had all of last season. His volume spike (the seven targets equaled Dorsett's total from the previous two weeks) was likely linked to Julian Edelman's chest injury, which shelved him for the entire second half. With Antonio Brown no longer on the Patriots' payroll, Dorsett should remain a fixture in three-wide sets going forward. His next test will come in Week 4 when New England faces Buffalo in a battle of AFC East undefeateds.

Sep 22, 2019, 5:27 PM ET

Phillip Dorsett left Sunday's Week 5 game against the Redskins with a hamstring injury and will not return.

Dorsett went down in the first half and was ruled out shortly after. He wasn't targeted prior to exiting. Without him, the Patriots will turn to Julian Edelman, Josh Gordon and Jakobi Meyers in three-wide sets.

SOURCE: New England Patriots on Twitter

Oct 6, 2019, 3:08 PM ET

Phillip Dorsett (hamstring) won't play in Week 6 against the Giants.

Undrafted rookie Jakobi Meyers will step in for Dorsett, but it may not lead to much usage if New England plays backup FB Jakob Johnson on 41 percent of snaps in 12 personnel for the second straight week. Meyers can't be trusted outside of single-game DFS slates for that very reason despite his spectacular preseason performance (20/253/2). Dorsett's still week to week.

SOURCE: Doug Kyed on Twitter

Oct 9, 2019, 3:40 PM ET

Patriots WR Phillip Dorsett (hamstring) returned to practice Tuesday.

As did rookie N'Keal Harry (ankle). Dorsett's eventual production depends on Josh Gordon's (knee) availability with undrafted rookie Jakobi Meyers settling in if either sit Monday night. Dorsett was initially considered week-to-week so this is a best-case scenario. He's averaged 6.6 targets and hit pay dirt three times in the three games he's played without former Pats legend Antonio Brown.

SOURCE: Nora Princiotti on Twitter

Oct 15, 2019, 12:33 PM ET

Phillip Dorsett (hamstring) was limited in practice Friday.

Dorsett is on pace to play Week 7 against the Jets while Josh Gordon (knee) trends in the opposite direction. If Dorsett is active and Gordon sits, Dorsett carries flex consideration. We'll get more clarity on their statuses on Saturday after the Patriots complete their final practice of the week ahead of Monday Night Football.

SOURCE: Patriots.com

Oct 18, 2019, 4:41 PM ET

Phillip Dorsett caught all three of his targets for 46 yards and one touchdown in the Patriots' Week 7 win over the Jets.

Efficient night for Dorsett, who was sixth on the team in targets. On his 26-yard touchdown, Dorsett beat CB Trumaine Johnson over the top and made a sweet grab in the end zone. He later made a nice catch along the sideline. Dorsett should continue to be a mainstay in three-wide sets and will be a fine WR3/4 next week against the Browns.

Dorsett has been a tease fantasy wise. He seems to have a TD enough times to make it look like he would be an enticing fantasy option and someone NE would look to expand his role. But he's now played 42 games for NE and only been targeted more than 5 times 5 times (12%). With Sanu coming to town and Gordon and Harry coming back soon, I would not expect Dorsett to start seeing more targets. He's really TD dependent. Over his last 10 games with NE . . . 40 targets, 28 receptions, 347 yards, 7 TD.

Phillip Dorsett (concussion) was sidelined for Wednesday's practice.

Mohamed Sanu (ankle) also missed Wednesday's practice. Dorsett was spotted stretching despite being listed as 'DNP', so perhaps he's closer to being active against Dallas than Sanu. Fantasy players should still have N'Keal Harry or another pivot on standby since the Cowboys have fortuitously allowed 3.2 20-plus yard plays per game to opposing offenses.

SOURCE: Mike Reiss on Twitter

Nov 20, 2019, 4:21 PM ET

Phillip Dorsett (concussion) is questionable for Sunday's matchup against the Cowboys.

N'Keal Harry would likely draw the start if Dorsett is ultimately sidelined. It's tougher to get behind the complementary options in the Patriots Offense these days, as their 21-spot difference in points per game rank (No. 3) and yards per play rank (No. 24) is easily the biggest digression in the league. Tom Brady and company haven't finished outside of the league's top-20 most-efficient offenses since 2002. The only consistent high-end fantasy option in New England is Julian Edelman.

SOURCE: Nora Princiotti on Twitter

Nov 22, 2019, 4:29 PM ET

Phillip Dorsett (questionable, concussion) hasn't been cleared to resume football activities.

This all but rules out Dorsett for Sunday's Cowboys matchup. It's bad news for the Patriots, who could also be without Mohamed Sanu (questionable, ankle). N'Keal Harry and Jakobi Meyers will step into three-wide sets if both Dorsett and Sanu sit.

SOURCE: Mike Reiss on Twitter

Nov 23, 2019, 9:20 AM ET

Phillip Dorsett caught 2-of-6 targets for 15 yards in Week 13 against the Texans.

Dorsett played 71 percent of snaps after missing last week in the concussion protocol. He was invisible despite a pass-heavy gamescript, getting out-targeted by Jakobi Meyers. Dorsett leads the Patriots in touchdowns, but his role is in decline.

Seahawks signed WR Phillip Dorsett, formerly of the Patriots, to a one-year contract. 

27-year-old Dorsett posted the second most yards of his career last season (397), but it was little help for the Pats' crazy-thin receiver corps. He has proven to be a pure depth option, one who does not contribute as a return man on special teams. Dorsett should nevertheless have a role on offense for the Seahawks, who always have a pure situational deep threat or two.  

SOURCE: Josina Anderson on Twitter 

Mar 24, 2020, 3:02 PM ET

Seahawks HC Pete Carroll called WR Phillip Dorsett "fastest guy we’ve ever had here," saying he could be a deep threat for Russell Wilson. 

"In our system with Russ and the way Russ likes to bomb the football, he’s a big factor," Carroll added. In fact, Dorsett's 4.25 second 40-time was faster than Tyler Lockett's 4.40 time. Any kind of steady opportunity for Dorsett would hinge on Lockett or D.K. Metcalf missing time this year. Dorsett will be more viable in a daily fantasy tournament than he will in seasonal leagues. 

SOURCE: John Boyle on Twitter

Aug 20, 2020, 3:06 PM ET

Jaguars released WR Phillip Dorsett.

Assuming he isn't on a roster in two weeks time, it will be nearly two years since Dorsett last appeared in a regular-season game after missing all of 2020 with a foot issue. He's eclipsed 400 receiving yards one time since entering the league in 2015.

gonna need a thread rename @Faust

Phillip Dorsett caught 2-of-3 targets for 45 yards and one touchdown in the Texans' Week 7 loss to the Raiders.

Dorsett emerged in the third quarter to haul in a 25-yard touchdown, as the veteran receiver laid out to secure the catch while falling toward the end zone. Most of Dorsett's action came with Nico Collins (groin) sidelined, but Dorsett is unlikely to have much fantasy upside in Week 8 even if Collins were to be held out.

couldn't find the Chris Moore thread....

30 touches for Pierce tonight? def in line for a career high in targets/receptions

Phillip Dorsett caught 3-of-5 targets for 69 yards in the Texans' Week 9 loss to the Eagles.​

Operating as the Texans' emergency No. 1 receiver with Brandin Cooks and Nico Collins sidelined, Dorsett was running free into open space surprisingly often but was the victim of a number of bad balls from Davis Mills. He also appeared to run the wrong route on Mills' game-sealing second interception, though it's unclear whose fault the miscue really was. Dorsett should have had a 40-yard touchdown in the first quarter but had to settle for a 34-yard grab after Mills badly underthrew him. Not a bad night all things considered, but not one that suggests future 12-team league relevance, regardless of Cooks and Collins' status.
Nov 3, 2022, 11:45 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread