What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Weezer/Radiohead (1 Viewer)

What ya got?

• Weezer

Votes: 76 47.8%
  • Radiohead

Votes: 83 52.2%

• Total voters
I love Radiohead's older stuff, and then OK Computer came along and is still easily in my top 5 albums of all time. Started getting weird after that but I think their next two or three records were still good. I never got Weezer at all. Granted I only heard the hits but they struck me as novelty MTV crap-pop aimed at frat boys. If you're saying there's more there, I'll take your word for it.

I love Radiohead's older stuff, and then OK Computer came along and is still easily in my top 5 albums of all time. Started getting weird after that but I think their next two or three records were still good. I never got Weezer at all. Granted I only heard the hits but they struck me as novelty MTV crap-pop aimed at frat boys. If you're saying there's more there, I'll take your word for it.
I saw weezer open for live a week after "the sweater song" video debuted. They opened with "my name is jonah" then went in to "the world has turned and left me here". Played almost the whole record before ending with buddy holly, which no one had ever heard since the Internet wasn't a thing. Completely destroyed the building. Was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I saw weezer open for live a week after "the sweater song" video debuted. They opened with "my name is jonah" then went in to "the world has turned and left me here". Played almost the whole record before ending with buddy holly, which no one had ever heard since the Internet wasn't a thing. Completely destroyed the building. Was one of the best shows I've ever seen.
I bet they would be great live.

But I'd wet my pants if I ever got to see Radiohead in person. Bucket list item there (2nd time I've said that tonight)

Next up, the Beatles vs. Gordon Lightfoot.
I expected the premise question. But indie pop has been living off Weezer's two '90s albums for many years, my man.
debatable. But even if we accept this as a premise, You still have to admit that Weezer has been laying turds for the past 4? 5? 6? albums, don't you? Great bands don't do that.
Yes -- utter turds since Maladroit. It was supposed to be a simple poll. But four great albums make a career, especially if the first two changed the landscape of everything American pop.

Next up, the Beatles vs. Gordon Lightfoot.
I expected the premise question. But indie pop has been living off Weezer's two '90s albums for many years, my man.
How so?
Power chords, harmonies, pop sensibility, waltz times, emotive content (forget Rites of Spring, Pinkerton brought that stuff to suburban audiences) all that stuff.
An error occurredYou have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

I bet they would be great live.

But I'd wet my pants if I ever got to see Radiohead in person. Bucket list item there (2nd time I've said that tonight)
Yeah, RH are phenomenal in concert, as generally the songs are even more dynamic than the studio versions.

On a side note, this thread has lead me into a series of dubstep remixes of Michael Jackson songs.

Both peaked 15+ years ago. The Bends and OK Computer are the two best albums from either band, but I've provably enjoyed more weezer songs than Radiohead over past 5 years or so.

Radiohead never did it for me. it seems like someone pretensicous trying to act like they aren't then saying #### you if you don't get me, and their fans always seem overly proud that they "get it".

Every Radiohead record is great. Different levels of great but all great, and even a couple of all timers. Weezer had maybe three great records, but only the Blue was an all timer IMO.

eoMMan said:
Weezer for me.

Radiohead annoys me.
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
I like weezer better. Radiohead blows goats
Dan Lambskin said:
Weezer easily...Radiohead is terrible....like Arcade Fire terrible
bostonfred said:
Radiohead never did it for me. it seems like someone pretensicous trying to act like they aren't then saying #### you if you don't get me, and their fans always seem overly proud that they "get it".
I'll take "People whose opinions are dead to me" for $500, Alex.

bostonfred said:
1st 2 CD's were absolute All-Time classics that I can play straight thru without skipping a song....

OK Computer IMO holds up...

After that, I can see your point..... I have to search thru the whole rest of the Discography to find such Gems.

You just might not Get it tho, given your simpler musical tastes. You might have to have some experience playing or understanding music to fully enjoy it.

the moops said:
I bet Weezer doesn't even like themselves as much as they like Radiohead.
No Doubt.... I like Weezer - they're "Fun" and i think they're fine with being a simple corny fun band....

OK, I think we've seen enough arguments for both sides to necessitate a pole.

Let's do it, OP!
My IQ is now north of 100, I think. Vote away. I figured it'd be at least 75% Radiohead. Maybe the vocal Weezer fans are self-reporting, God Bless 'em. I'm probably a Weezer guy just based on temperament and national sentiment. Argh those Brits.

Also, Amnesiac is probably the best album both bands cut, IMO. At least it was for me in the aughts.

bostonfred said:
Radiohead seems to appeal to a certain type of listener, that being people who look to engage music deeply. Like eyes closed, headphones, put your antennae up and completely immerse yourself in the music type. There's a lot going on. You can get inside it and it's a foreign place with interesting, evolving rhythms, unusual hooks, and an almost anti-pop approach to developing ideas and melody. It's a much different hunt than what Weezer did. If more ambition and bigger ideas equals pretense, so be it. It's what gave us Bach and Michelangelo.

bostonfred said:
Radiohead seems to appeal to a certain type of listener, that being people who look to engage music deeply. Like eyes closed, headphones, put your antennae up and completely immerse yourself in the music type. There's a lot going on. You can get inside it and it's a foreign place with interesting, evolving rhythms, unusual hooks, and an almost anti-pop approach to developing ideas and melody. It's a much different hunt than what Weezer did. If more ambition and bigger ideas equals pretense, so be it. It's what gave us Bach and Michelangelo.
Radiohead is definitely a better listen if you're on LSD.

bostonfred said:
1st 2 CD's were absolute All-Time classics that I can play straight thru without skipping a song....

After that, I can see your point..... I have to search thru the whole rest of the Discography to find such Gems.

You just might not Get it tho, given your simpler musical tastes. You might have to have some experience playing or understanding music to fully enjoy it.
They have made two records, maybe three, at least as good as OK since.

bostonfred said:

Seriously? Pablo Honey is an all timer while OK Computer just holds up? Kid A? Amnesiac? In Rainbows? I love Weezer Blue, but this is like comparing Oasis to the Beatles.IMO, Arcade Fire will be the better Radiohead comparison when its all said and done. :fanboy:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Radiohead. I like they're music. The doosh persona that their fans have taken on somehow has distorted my view of the band. Its a shame really because they are a good band... But not as good as weezer.

bostonfred said:
I think even younger me would have been terrified by some of the scorched Earth bleakness of Radiohead on acid.

Last edited by a moderator:
bostonfred said:
I think even younger me would have been terrified by some of the scorched Earth landscape bleakness of Radiohead on acid.
Several Species of Furry Animals... still give me the chills.

bostonfred said:

Seriously? Pablo Honey is an all timer while OK Computer just holds up? Kid A? Amnesiac? In Rainbows? I love Weezer Blue, but this is like comparing Oasis to the Beatles.IMO, Arcade Fire will be the better Radiohead comparison when its all said and done. :fanboy:
Maybe should have said "More listener friendly" or less "pretentious sounding"....

I went to shows and listened a lot more to those 1st few cd's...

Maybe Fred was right.

Good, bad, like, dont like. Erik Satie, Bill Evans, John Coltrane, Beatles, Radiohead - with these guys, all the notes are in the room, but u got no idea how they're gonna be comin at you and, still, you come away humming. Dont know how that's done, just know it's as rare and sweet as it gets.

Users who are viewing this thread