What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's talk LONG range prospecting (1 Viewer)

Michael Brown

Footballguy
So we all know the BBA top 100 prospects and various associated lists that tell us who the best ones are. But like a lot of you, I am in a league where we carry a minor league roster. We can keep these guys forever. The only rule about the ml draft is that they must not have achieved MLB rookie status yet. So guys like Hideki Matsui were drafted while still in Japan, and Justin Upton was taken as a high school sr.

We all missed the boat on Bryce Harper, as we drafted just before the hype machine got really out of control. So my question is, is there a "next Bryce Harper"? Who are the high-ceiling studs from the lowest levels of the minors that just aren't atop the lists just yet? Are there any more Yoan Moncadas? High schoolers projected to be the top picks in the draft? Anybody in your local Little League that's just absolutely MASHING right now?

Wander Javier. 16 year old from the Dominican Republic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQM2BzjyTNU

Kevin Maitan. 14-15 year Venezuelan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU2fXwYwgBo

Shohei Otani. 20 year old Japanese pitcher. Won't be posted for several years. Also has a pretty nice swing for a pitcher. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGS0lIiXkRQ
Nice, the Javier clip also led me to one of Vladimir Guerrero Jr.

Maitan looks like he has a little Cano to his swing

Wander Javier. 16 year old from the Dominican Republic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQM2BzjyTNU

Kevin Maitan. 14-15 year Venezuelan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU2fXwYwgBo

Shohei Otani. 20 year old Japanese pitcher. Won't be posted for several years. Also has a pretty nice swing for a pitcher. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGS0lIiXkRQ

they'll all be Yankees eventually

they'll all be Yankees eventually
Yeah, until the big bad Mariners just use the Bronx as their farm system and rip them away from us!

Alfredo Despaigne is considered by some to be the best hitter in the world not currently playing MLB. Not sure he'll ever make it, but worth a flier if you're looking really deep.

Duke pitcher Michael Matuella who was near the top of the draft-eligible collegians list is undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Probably already know about Kenta Maeda in Japan. May come over next year.

Tomohiro Anraku - 18 year old who should be a stud as long as his arm doesn't fall off after throwing 772 pitches over 5 games in 9 days as a 16 year old.

Luken Baker, Oakridge HS, Spring, Tx. 2015 graduate, plays 1B And RHP. He won the Futures HR Derby last summer and his fastball sits at 93-94 mph. Plays summer ball with my son. Signed NLI to TCU, but he will likely go late first round in June

Last edited by a moderator:
Brendan Rodgers man, especially if he goes to the Stones.
:thumbup:

Yup looking at him, seems like the highest upside in the draft. Few others I've come across in my travels not listed yet here:

Jhailyn Ortiz - 260 pounds at 16 normally isn't recommended for a long life, but this kid sounds like he has monster power. Prince Fielder-type

Yadier Alvarez - 19 year old Cuban RHP expected to sign with the Dodgers relatively soon

Brady Aiken - figure he's worth a shot as we can stash these guys up to 5 years or until they reach AAA. Will know long before that if he regained his stuff

Lourdes Gourriel - Yulieski's little bro. Tons of upside from what I've read

Dermis Garcia - maybe I'm biased because he's a Yankee but sounds like a potential future star and still just 17

Lucius Fox - Bahamian that I admittedly don't know anything about other than MLB.com saying he's a 5-tool middle infielder. Was just declared a FA by MLB, so he'll be in high demand next month

Eddy Julio Martinez - Likewise with Fox, I didn't find much on this kid but he's being compared to Andruw Jones

Looks like I struck gold with Vlad Guerrero Jr as he's the #2 International prospect at this point, and scouts are raving about his all around game. Skills of his dad, but with a much bigger body. Thanks for the early link that led me to him. By the way, Kevin Maitan is getting the Miggy Cabrera comparisons from a TON of places, and it doesn't seem like the usual hyperbolic nonsense (although he IS only 15 years old). There are 59 players on MLB.com's top 100 list that are still available to take, but I might have to take Maitan with my first pick.

Norge Luis Ruiz is worth a look also, Cuban.
Saw his name on a prospect list and that he just left Cuba. I thought about mentioning him here, doesn't seem like anything stands out about him though. Obviously it's Cuba so the details are kind of scarce, but the stats don't look too prolific. Fastball 89-92, 86 K's and 43 BB in 110.1 IP makes him Cuba's best pitching prospect...makes me wonder if it's worth looking at very many Cuban pitchers in the near term. Something I'm missing?

Saw his name on a prospect list and that he just left Cuba. I thought about mentioning him here, doesn't seem like anything stands out about him though. Obviously it's Cuba so the details are kind of scarce, but the stats don't look too prolific. Fastball 89-92, 86 K's and 43 BB in 110.1 IP makes him Cuba's best pitching prospect...makes me wonder if it's worth looking at very many Cuban pitchers in the near term. Something I'm missing?
In the scouting report referenced above, Badler notes that Ruiz was the 2012-13 Serie Nacional Rookie of the Year in Cuba and writes that he “stands out in a country thin on Major League pitching prospects.” Per Badler, he features a fastball that sits in the low 90s and touches 94 mph, which is complemented by a slider, changeup and splitter. At his best, Ruiz misses bats effectively and keeps the ball on the ground, as evidenced by a 62 percent ground-ball rate in 2014-15, according to Badler. He adds that Ruiz is a very good athlete and has feel for pitching beyond his years, giving him the potential to be a mid-rotation starter in the Majors.
BBA has him as the #1 Cuban pitching prospect, ahead of Alvarez. :shrug:

In the scouting report referenced above, Badler notes that Ruiz was the 2012-13 Serie Nacional Rookie of the Year in Cuba and writes that he “stands out in a country thin on Major League pitching prospects.” Per Badler, he features a fastball that sits in the low 90s and touches 94 mph, which is complemented by a slider, changeup and splitter. At his best, Ruiz misses bats effectively and keeps the ball on the ground, as evidenced by a 62 percent ground-ball rate in 2014-15, according to Badler. He adds that Ruiz is a very good athlete and has feel for pitching beyond his years, giving him the potential to be a mid-rotation starter in the Majors.
Whatever TINSTAAPP translates into in Cuban

Doctor Detroit said:
Michael Brown said:
Doctor Detroit said:
Yeah saw that. Not really sure why though, which was why I asked. Based on the stats, it sounds like he's an El Duque type while Alvarez seems more Aroldis. Could mean that Ruiz ends up as having a better career, but from a tools/prospect status discussion, seems like Alvarez has a hugemongous ceiling

Luken Baker, Oakridge HS, Spring, Tx. 2015 graduate, plays 1B And RHP. He won the Futures HR Derby last summer and his fastball sits at 93-94 mph. Plays summer ball with my son. Signed NLI to TCU, but he will likely go late first round in June
2015 Gatorade National Player of the Year.

Brendan Rodgers man, especially if he goes to the Stones.
:thumbup: Yup looking at him, seems like the highest upside in the draft. Few others I've come across in my travels not listed yet here:

Jhailyn Ortiz - 260 pounds at 16 normally isn't recommended for a long life, but this kid sounds like he has monster power. Prince Fielder-type

Yadier Alvarez - 19 year old Cuban RHP expected to sign with the Dodgers relatively soon

Brady Aiken - figure he's worth a shot as we can stash these guys up to 5 years or until they reach AAA. Will know long before that if he regained his stuff

Lourdes Gourriel - Yulieski's little bro. Tons of upside from what I've read

Dermis Garcia - maybe I'm biased because he's a Yankee but sounds like a potential future star and still just 17

Lucius Fox - Bahamian that I admittedly don't know anything about other than MLB.com saying he's a 5-tool middle infielder. Was just declared a FA by MLB, so he'll be in high demand next month

Eddy Julio Martinez - Likewise with Fox, I didn't find much on this kid but he's being compared to Andruw Jones

Looks like I struck gold with Vlad Guerrero Jr as he's the #2 International prospect at this point, and scouts are raving about his all around game. Skills of his dad, but with a much bigger body. Thanks for the early link that led me to him. By the way, Kevin Maitan is getting the Miggy Cabrera comparisons from a TON of places, and it doesn't seem like the usual hyperbolic nonsense (although he IS only 15 years old). There are 59 players on MLB.com's top 100 list that are still available to take, but I might have to take Maitan with my first pick.
I just saw this and its a great list. I had Dermis on my roster early in the season but cut him once I realized he's probably five years out. I almost grabbed Lourdes yesterday as a matter of fact but kept the college hitter instead. His older brother is the best short term bat grab from Cuba. He's around thirty I think. Fox should be rostered now.

In the scouting report referenced above, Badler notes that Ruiz was the 2012-13 Serie Nacional Rookie of the Year in Cuba and writes that he stands out in a country thin on Major League pitching prospects. Per Badler, he features a fastball that sits in the low 90s and touches 94 mph, which is complemented by a slider, changeup and splitter. At his best, Ruiz misses bats effectively and keeps the ball on the ground, as evidenced by a 62 percent ground-ball rate in 2014-15, according to Badler. He adds that Ruiz is a very good athlete and has feel for pitching beyond his years, giving him the potential to be a mid-rotation starter in the Majors.
I disagree.

My draft is currently going on still (email slow draft), and a few more to add to the list have emerged:

Riley Pint (in the mix for the top pick in the 2016 amateur draft)

Alec Hansen (ditto...similar stuff to Dillon Tate, but like 6'7" 240 instead of 6'1" 190)

Mark Vientos (ditto on the first pick potential, but he's not til 2017...article I found that mentioned him said he, Maitan, and Abraham Gutierrez are probably the three best 15-year-olds in the world)

Abraham Gutierrez, aforementioned in the previous blurb. Huge bat at a tough position to find talent at, so no sure thing he sticks at catcher

Gammons compares Kyle Tucker to Ted Williams

Reynolds compares Brendan Rodgers to Brandon Crawford

Phillies with the first semi-surprising pick with Georgia HS Cornelius Randolph. If it was another organization, I'd support picking a high potential guy at #11 but it's the Phillies so I'm just SMH.

ETA: the first draft pick who is still available in the Serious Biz league.

they showed Andre Dawson writing with his left hand. Odd because he threw and batted righty.

Brendan Rodgers, widely regarded as the most talented player in this draft, also gets the extra fantasy bump by being in the Rockies system.

Too bad you were sleeping three weeks ago when I grabbed him Pik. :bye:

Phillies with the first semi-surprising pick with Georgia HS Cornelius Randolph. If it was another organization, I'd support picking a high potential guy at #11 but it's the Phillies so I'm just SMH.

ETA: the first draft pick who is still available in the Serious Biz league.
I'm surprised he is. I just don't have room!

Brendan Rodgers, widely regarded as the most talented player in this draft, also gets the extra fantasy bump by being in the Rockies system.

Too bad you were sleeping three weeks ago when I grabbed him Pik. :bye:
I was too busy coaching the kids to care. Now I do.

Not any Latinos drafted yet. You'd think scouts would take notice of all the success that Hispanics are having at the major league level but I guess old attitudes die hard.

/warmtake

Users who are viewing this thread