TheWalkmen

Wife dominated colon cancer

185 posts in this topic

Brief overview: my wife (33 yrs old) had blood in her stool in January and her GP recommended a colonoscopy which was done in early March and revealed a cancerous tumor. Surgery was done last week to remove it and 1 lymph node tested positive, which I believe puts her at stage IIIA. Any advice on getting through the day-to-day? We have a 27 mo old and 11 mo old which makes things a bit tougher. Prayers and kind thoughts are appreciated!

BTW it is colon cancer awareness month so if you have any symptoms get them checked out.

Edited by TheWalkmen

Damn, very sorry to hear...no tips to add unfortunately but my best wishes to you and your family.

Brief overview: my wife (33 yrs old) had blood in her stool in January and her GP recommended a colonoscopy which was done in early March and revealed a cancerous tumor. Surgery was done last week to remove it and 1 lymph node tested positive, which I believe puts her at stage IIIA. Any advice on getting through the day-to-day? We have a 27 mo old and 11 mo old which makes things a bit tougher. Prayers and kind thoughts are appreciated!

BTW it is colon cancer awareness month so if you have any symptoms get them checked out.

Sorry to hear this, best wishes to your family during this time.

Be strong for those lil ones which I know is nearly impossible to do...

T&P GB

:goodposting:

Thoughts and prayers for her and your family. Best of luck to all you while she fights through this.

Thoughts and prayers and best of luck.

+1. Sorry to hear this. Good luck to the little lady.

Sorry to hear this. T&P for your family.

1 person likes this

Ugh ... I feel for you and your family. There are many on this board who have gone through what your fighting. I wish you and your family the very best.

T&P to you and your family. Sending good thoughts.

Well ####. That's way too young and all the T&P's to you, her, and your young kids. You'll get through this.

Thoughts and prayers to your wife and your entire family. No one should go thru this at 33 or 93. Hang in there. #### cancer.

Wow, sorry to hear it. I think my mom had the same Stage @ 70 years old and is now 5 years cancer-free. It obviously won't be easy, as I'm sure you already know, but she can get through this. Stay strong for her and the kids and keep her in a positive attitude. GL

If there is a silver lining survival rates are very good where she is at. Still a horrible situation. Prayers for you and yours.

Oh, and #### cancer.

Dam.. Sorry to hear this :(

No idea what the prognosis is but they must have people they can recommend for you to go speak to to help which I'd start right away if I were you.

Good luck!!

Sorry to hear that - best of luck to you and your family.

Ugh, thoughts and prayers.

I got colon cancer when I was 21. Luckily for me, the tumor grew in and no nodes were positive. Since I was so young, my parents pushed my physicians to pursue a very aggressive follow up regiment of both chemo and radiation.

You wife is young and I don't know the protocol for her stage, but I would push to have as aggressive treatment as possible. Chemo and radiation do suck hard but for a year's worth of discomfort, it may be well worth it in the long run.

Good luck to your wife and if you have any specific questions about what's normal post-surgery, what kind of issues she can expect, or just any general questions, feel free to shoot me a pm.

Sorry to hear that. Good luck to you wife and family.

Hang in there bud and try to take one day at a time. Make her smile and reminisce about Barefoot Beach.

best wishes and be strong

T&P GB...

I have a colonoscopy scheduled for next Friday :eek:

1 person likes this

T&P to you and yours. #### cancer.

33. dammit.

good luck with everything- all my likes for the best results at each turn. lots of well-wishes heading your way.

Do anything and everything that you can to make her life easy. Do all the shopping/cooking/hire a maid, whatever. Intimacy might fall off the cliff, hang in there. Check w/ the Dr. about a change in eating/diet if that helps. Stuart Scott's words are bedrock:

“When you die, it does not mean that you lose to cancer. You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live.”

Find a support group/mentor to speak with.

2 people like this

That sucks. Best thing you can do is be there for her and be her support. Praying for you guys.

T&P...

Good luck to you and your wife, you'll get through this!

Good luck, cancer is the suck. Buddy just went through this with good results and he is about 10 years older. Stay strong...

That's ####### rough. Get someone close to you that you can lean on as you're going to need it. You're going to have to be the rock for everyone else, make sure you have someone to help you!

I am so sorry to hear this.

It really puts my own problems, that I was just feeling sorry for myself over, into perspective.

Good luck to you and your wife.

Best of luck to your wife, and to you and the rest of your family. You'll beat this. T&P.

Let people help you. Tell them what you need them to do. You will not be inconveniencing them. People want to do something, but often don't know what to do. By telling them precisely what you need (food delivery, babysitting, picking up the kids at activities, arranging regular girls' nights out, etc.), you are giving them a gift. You are giving them purpose and the ability to contribute. More often than not, trying to soldier on by yourselves and do everything on your own without putting anyone else out or inconveniencing them is what will ultimately drive them away. And that won't be any good for anyone.

My two cents.

Will be keeping you both, and the two kiddos, in my thoughts and prayers.

Edited by bigbottom
12 people like this