What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wife dominated colon cancer (1 Viewer)

TheWalkmen

Footballguy
Brief overview: my wife (33 yrs old) had blood in her stool in January and her GP recommended a colonoscopy which was done in early March and revealed a cancerous tumor. Surgery was done last week to remove it and 1 lymph node tested positive, which I believe puts her at stage IIIA. Any advice on getting through the day-to-day? We have a 27 mo old and 11 mo old which makes things a bit tougher. Prayers and kind thoughts are appreciated!

BTW it is colon cancer awareness month so if you have any symptoms get them checked out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, very sorry to hear...no tips to add unfortunately but my best wishes to you and your family.

Brief overview: my wife (33 yrs old) had blood in her stool in January and her GP recommended a colonoscopy which was done in early March and revealed a cancerous tumor. Surgery was done last week to remove it and 1 lymph node tested positive, which I believe puts her at stage IIIA. Any advice on getting through the day-to-day? We have a 27 mo old and 11 mo old which makes things a bit tougher. Prayers and kind thoughts are appreciated!

BTW it is colon cancer awareness month so if you have any symptoms get them checked out.
Sorry to hear this, best wishes to your family during this time.

Be strong for those lil ones which I know is nearly impossible to do...

Thoughts and prayers for her and your family. Best of luck to all you while she fights through this.

Ugh ... I feel for you and your family. There are many on this board who have gone through what your fighting. I wish you and your family the very best.

Well ####. That's way too young and all the T&P's to you, her, and your young kids. You'll get through this.

Thoughts and prayers to your wife and your entire family. No one should go thru this at 33 or 93. Hang in there. #### cancer.

Wow, sorry to hear it. I think my mom had the same Stage @ 70 years old and is now 5 years cancer-free. It obviously won't be easy, as I'm sure you already know, but she can get through this. Stay strong for her and the kids and keep her in a positive attitude. GL

If there is a silver lining survival rates are very good where she is at. Still a horrible situation. Prayers for you and yours.

Oh, and #### cancer.

Dam.. Sorry to hear this :(

No idea what the prognosis is but they must have people they can recommend for you to go speak to to help which I'd start right away if I were you.

Good luck!!

Ugh, thoughts and prayers.

I got colon cancer when I was 21. Luckily for me, the tumor grew in and no nodes were positive. Since I was so young, my parents pushed my physicians to pursue a very aggressive follow up regiment of both chemo and radiation.

You wife is young and I don't know the protocol for her stage, but I would push to have as aggressive treatment as possible. Chemo and radiation do suck hard but for a year's worth of discomfort, it may be well worth it in the long run.

Good luck to your wife and if you have any specific questions about what's normal post-surgery, what kind of issues she can expect, or just any general questions, feel free to shoot me a pm.

Hang in there bud and try to take one day at a time. Make her smile and reminisce about Barefoot Beach.

Do anything and everything that you can to make her life easy. Do all the shopping/cooking/hire a maid, whatever. Intimacy might fall off the cliff, hang in there. Check w/ the Dr. about a change in eating/diet if that helps. Stuart Scott's words are bedrock:

“When you die, it does not mean that you lose to cancer. You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live.”

Find a support group/mentor to speak with.

Good luck, cancer is the suck. Buddy just went through this with good results and he is about 10 years older. Stay strong...

That's ####### rough. Get someone close to you that you can lean on as you're going to need it. You're going to have to be the rock for everyone else, make sure you have someone to help you!

I am so sorry to hear this.

It really puts my own problems, that I was just feeling sorry for myself over, into perspective.

Good luck to you and your wife.

Best of luck to your wife, and to you and the rest of your family. You'll beat this. T&P.

Let people help you. Tell them what you need them to do. You will not be inconveniencing them. People want to do something, but often don't know what to do. By telling them precisely what you need (food delivery, babysitting, picking up the kids at activities, arranging regular girls' nights out, etc.), you are giving them a gift. You are giving them purpose and the ability to contribute. More often than not, trying to soldier on by yourselves and do everything on your own without putting anyone else out or inconveniencing them is what will ultimately drive them away. And that won't be any good for anyone.

My two cents.

Will be keeping you both, and the two kiddos, in my thoughts and prayers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck to both of you.

You need to look after both of you in the non-medical department. Small treats like a movie or an ice cream after chemo or a test can make a huge difference. Sort of a date night at home- whatever she can tolerate.

After my colonoscopy, doc said they're seeing more and more cases of younger people having these problems. Don't know if it's the processing or ingredients in the food over the last 20-30 years or what, but like Walkmen said, go get checked no matter how old you are. I had 2 polyps removed, which is apparently very young to have (35 here).

All the best to you and your family during this tough time Walk, you'll be in my thoughts.

Sorry to hear it man. Everyone's already given some great advice, so all I can really offer is a solid F### cancer!

Keep us posted with her progress, and use this board as a venting ground whenever necessary. As crazy as this place can seem at times, with all the petty bickering, this place is amazing for rallying together with support through tough times.

So sorry to hear man. :(

I am no expert nor do I have personal experience with Colon Cancer but (going through what I am going through my dad's lung cancer which some day I may post about) maybe I can offer some advice. Should they go for an aggressive treatment of chemo/radiation, be proactive during the chemo--in other words be ready for any side effect--some meds cause severe constipation, while others case really bad diarrhea. Fill all meds they suggest--it is better to have it and not need it. I don't know your financial situation, but do not be too proud to take any grants or assistance that you qualify for. A lot of them start around 400-500% of the poverty level--so you can make some substantial money and still qualify. My dad's meds are $1,550 out of pocket every 3 weeks and then they do a Neulasta shot to build his white blood cells--this shot before insurance costs (are you sitting down?) $10k--my dad's out of pocket on it is 1k every 3 weeks. There are 3 companies helping him and my mom out to pay for these and we are covering the rest, but there are many out there to help. I am not sure if your job offers FMLA, but if you can access that or take a leave of absence, that's what I would shoot for. Like others have suggested, she is going to need you to wait on her hand and foot in the beginning. Your kids are so young, so they are not going to understand why mom is so tired, so any help you can get there will make your life easier. If you don't have a Netflix account, get one so movies with mom and the kids will be a way for them to spend time together and she can still rest. Diet is important. Protein seems to really help the body regenerate after chemo.. Turkey is a big help.

The good news just reading about this stage is it seems to have a very good prognosis. So just stay as positive as you can. If I can be of any other help, please feel free to PM me.

#### cancer.

Good luck and best wishes for a good outcome and speedy recovery.

Don't let the staging scare you, the fact that you caught it early is great news.

So sorry to hear this. :( All TPW. However, I have a strong feeling that she'll do just fine. Some great posts above with excellent advice, particularly those from BB, Mrs. Rannous, and Courtjester. The Netflix idea is a really terrific one.

Best of luck. Glad she was smart enough to get checked out immediately when she noticed something wasn't right, too many people wait. Great reminder for others so thanks for sharing.

T & P. Way too young to have this. Your wife's odds are good, but wow - I can't and don't want to imagine. Now go kick cancer's ###!

The good news just reading about this stage is it seems to have a very good prognosis. So just stay as positive as you can. If I can be of any other help, please feel free to PM me.
This. Yes. God yes. We've had enough bad news around here, but this one is winnable. I'm not linking to the good stories out there or sharing the one that's near and dear to me other than saying she was a little further along the bad road than your wife (without knowing specifics), and is now cancer free 10 years. We celebrated her 54th b-day last month. She is in great health and spirits and says she'll live to be 100. Praying for your wife, Walkman. God bless her.

Users who are viewing this thread