What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Ball (MFL10s, DRAFT, etc.) (4 Viewers)

BroadwayG said:
Does looking at everyone's winning teams count?
Hahahaha. Absolutely. Any trends or something that stands out in the winners?

Besides having Bell or DJ?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really unfortunate we can't post images here as it's so much easier to convey information. I've posted hundreds of MFL10 based charts on twitter.

Something that definitely stands out is the relative performance of WR/RB in winners vs. the field compared to the other 3 positions. QB/TE/Def have almost the same performance metrics regardless of rank.

It's really unfortunate we can't post images here as it's so much easier to convey information. I've posted hundreds of MFL10 based charts on twitter.

Something that definitely stands out is the relative performance of WR/RB in winners vs. the field compared to the other 3 positions. QB/TE/Def have almost the same performance metrics regardless of rank.
What do you think about the idea of just drafting a ton of WRs in the mid to late rounds and going RB heavy to start the draft? 

FBG has a good general or new player overview up right now. Link 

Personally I don't think it's as good as this thread but it's definitely a good way to get roughly caught up to speed. 

What do you think about the idea of just drafting a ton of WRs in the mid to late rounds and going RB heavy to start the draft? 
I think it's a fine idea, and an option I certainly keep open. When you get late in the draft, it is a lot easier to pick a WR that is going to return positive value than RB or TE.

However I don't think this is particularly the right time to do that because I think there is great opportunity in the 5/6/7 for RB. Depends on how you're perceiving the value as the draft goes along.

is there a way to deposit on MFL when you get this message:

Your state or locality has enacted laws or regulations that prevent us from offering these contests in your area. Therefore we can't accept deposits from you.

is there a way to deposit on MFL when you get this message:

Your state or locality has enacted laws or regulations that prevent us from offering these contests in your area. Therefore we can't accept deposits from you.
Perhaps have a friend, from state that's not blocked, deposit $$ and buy teams for you in their account (maybe it's possible to have more than one account)? Of course, there could be tax and legal ramifications to consider.

I think it's based on the address you enter in the account info, not where you're accessing the account from (grammar be damned). So, I don't think you'd be blocked from managing those teams. Until I got laid off, I was working in MA and had no problem managing my (slow draft, MFL10) teams, nor did I have any issue accessing my teams via a server located in blocked states like Maryland.

Other than that, probably not a lot of options. Good luck.

Perhaps have a friend, from state that's not blocked, deposit $$ and buy teams for you in their account (maybe it's possible to have more than one account)? Of course, there could be tax and legal ramifications to consider.

I think it's based on the address you enter in the account info, not where you're accessing the account from (grammar be damned). So, I don't think you'd be blocked from managing those teams. Until I got laid off, I was working in MA and had no problem managing my (slow draft, MFL10) teams, nor did I have any issue accessing my teams via a server located in blocked states like Maryland.

Other than that, probably not a lot of options. Good luck.
The only thing is, my home state Pennsylvania doesn't prohibit me from adding funds. I'm very confused.

The only thing is, my home state Pennsylvania doesn't prohibit me from adding funds. I'm very confused.
Pennsylvania residents can participate in MFL10s currently. However, there is a new bill that was proposed on March 20, 2017 that would force MFL and many other companies to withdraw from the state completely.  The proposal is seeking a licensing fee of $2.5 million for companies that want to offer fantasy games in PA.  Yes, that’s pretty ridiculous, but it is currently actively in legislation.  Here is an article about it from Jan 2017.

Link to proposed legislation: SB 524
Link to above.from the MFL site. It could be that MFL is waiting for the bill to go through or be defeated before taking new deposits?

The one time I get 1.03 and Zeke's suspension is looming. Went AB.

Elliot went 1.04

The one time I get 1.03 and Zeke's suspension is looming. Went AB.

Elliot went 1.04
Yeah, the uncertainty is a bummer. JMO - Pretty hard to make a bad pick at 1.03.

I only have him in 1 MFL10. So unless something definitive came out saying he was suspended for 4 games, I'd probably take him at 1.03 just for variety, 

Yeah, the uncertainty is a bummer. JMO - Pretty hard to make a bad pick at 1.03.

I only have him in 1 MFL10. So unless something definitive came out saying he was suspended for 4 games, I'd probably take him at 1.03 just for variety, 
The uncertainty is my biggest issue because I don't trust the NFL not to do something crazy and give him a giant suspension. I don't think the full season of Elliot's production over AB's is enough of an advantage to outweigh the potential of 6 games of lost production. 

Based on how they finished last year (link) Elliot only put up 18 more points than Brown on the season. Per game it was Zeke at 21.69 vs AB 20.49. Position scarcity gives Zeke more value and most people are expecting an improvement in year 2 but for a relatively small downgrade you can avoid a situation that puts you in a really bad spot. 

***I wasn't trying to argue with you. Sorry if it seemed that way. I was more so writing down the argument I had with myself. 

The uncertainty is my biggest issue because I don't trust the NFL not to do something crazy and give him a giant suspension. I don't think the full season of Elliot's production over AB's is enough of an advantage to outweigh the potential of 6 games of lost production. 

Based on how they finished last year (link) Elliot only put up 18 more points than Brown on the season. Per game it was Zeke at 21.69 vs AB 20.49. Position scarcity gives Zeke more value and most people are expecting an improvement in year 2 but for a relatively small downgrade you can avoid a situation that puts you in a really bad spot. 

***I wasn't trying to argue with you. Sorry if it seemed that way. I was more so writing down the argument I had with myself. 
Angry man: DON'T GIVE ME THAT, YOU SNOTTY-FACED HEAP OF PARROT DROPPINGS!

Man: What?

A: SHUT YOUR FESTERING GOB, YOU ###! YOUR TYPE MAKES ME PUKE! YOU VACUOUS TOFFEE-NOSED MALODOROUS PERVERT!!!

M: Yes, but I came here for an argument!!

A: OH! Oh! I'm sorry! This is abuse!

M: Oh! Oh I see!

A: Aha! No, you want room 12A, next door.

M: Oh...Sorry...

A: Not at all!
Couldn't help myself.

Having done my first handful this year, I'm much more comfortable going upper tier TE (non gronk) than waiting and cobbling together three late guys, as I've done in previous years.  TE just feels like more of a mess to me this year than usual and I think the trade off of probable more reliable production is worth it.

I've got a few Olsen/Gates combos, feel that investing in a upper tier guy two TE is viable.

Having done my first handful this year, I'm much more comfortable going upper tier TE (non gronk) than waiting and cobbling together three late guys, as I've done in previous years.  TE just feels like more of a mess to me this year than usual and I think the trade off of probable more reliable production is worth it.

I've got a few Olsen/Gates combos, feel that investing in a upper tier guy two TE is viable.
Given Gronk's history, don't you still need to peice together 2 more late TEs for insurance?

I've started a couple 10-team 2QB best ball deep format leagues over at Dataforce (if anyone is interested in joining). Hoping to get a different type league off the ground. The leagues have in season management (waivers/free agency/trades/etc..). Leagues can be found in the DataForce lobby.

$103 Redraft (Live Draft Sat Sept 2 9pm EST). BRONZE 137 https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/757659-best-ball-103-10-team-2-qb-redraft-live-draft-sat-sept-2-9pm-est/

$53 Keeper (Live Auction Tues Aug 29 7pm EST) COPPER 147 (close to full)  https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/757631-best-ball-53-10-team-2-qb-keeper-live-auction-tues-aug-29-7pm-est/

Should anyone be interested in a $103 2QB LEGACY best ball league, I'd be interested in forming one. Legacy League is a dynasty league with progressive jackpot. Jackpot paid out to 1st owner winning 2 SuperBowls -- need not be consecutive. Half of yearly payouts go towards progressive jackpot. Once 1 owner wins 2 SuperBowls (and wins jackpot) the league ends. Draft type --whether live/slow auction or serpentine draft-- is up to those who may be interested. 

Joined the redraft league. Would be interested in legacy format if it is created. Interested in trying out a best ball league as I've determined lineup leagues are too time consuming for me.

Joined the redraft league. Would be interested in legacy format if it is created. Interested in trying out a best ball league as I've determined lineup leagues are too time consuming for me.
Too time consuming and traditional FF has just turned into an exercise in monitoring the health of players with less, and less accurate information from the teams. The entire hobby of traditional FF is "questionable" at this point.

Once you make the switch to assembling teams when there is no football, and sitting back and rooting for your players(or highest owned players in your portfolio as the case may be) while watching football games... it's really tough to go back. I have dipped my toe into the "Start 'Em Once" type league but only because there is very little overhead into simply choosing a lineup of available, healthy players each week. That's as much hassle as I choose to deal with during the season.

I think a whole lot of folks that are burned out on traditional FF would enjoy watching football again if they just tried these alternative formats.

Too time consuming and traditional FF has just turned into an exercise in monitoring the health of players with less, and less accurate information from the teams. The entire hobby of traditional FF is "questionable" at this point.

Once you make the switch to assembling teams when there is no football, and sitting back and rooting for your players(or highest owned players in your portfolio as the case may be) while watching football games... it's really tough to go back. I have dipped my toe into the "Start 'Em Once" type league but only because there is very little overhead into simply choosing a lineup of available, healthy players each week. That's as much hassle as I choose to deal with during the season.

I think a whole lot of folks that are burned out on traditional FF would enjoy watching football again if they just tried these alternative formats.
Trades are fun though. 

*** Side note: why don't you use a picture instead of the default head?

Is anyone else seeing a trend that if you wait on receiver your team looks awesome at the end? I was only going to do 10 - 15 of these, but I really like the way this is looking, and might have to load up another 20 to 30

Is anyone else seeing a trend that if you wait on receiver your team looks awesome at the end? I was only going to do 10 - 15 of these, but I really like the way this is looking, and might have to load up another 20 to 30
Load up on RBs early (usually 4 in the first 5 rounds) and WRs late (9th round and later). DJax, Tavon Austin, Stills, Woods. Love those guys. 

I think it can work IF you get the "right" late receivers. Who those are is always up for debate. 

Really, if you get the "right" late RB's your team can look pretty good too. Just after the NFL draft you could get guys like Stewart/Gore/Martin/Woodhead in the back half of the draft often. Now those guys are all sliding up to where they belong so it's tougher to find the late RB values imo. 

Load up on RBs early (usually 4 in the first 5 rounds) and WRs late (9th round and later). DJax, Tavon Austin, Stills, Woods. Love those guys. 
I guess I should expand a little.

1st round is always running back unless I have pick 4 - 6 and Zeke, DJ, and Bell are gone.

2nd round 50/50 whether I take a back or not, I like to grab 1 top flight receiver and this is usually the round I do it.

3rd round if I have a late pick I have ended up with Kelce a few times, if it is an early pick I end up with Miller, if I go rb, rb, I usually get Cooks, Watkins, Hopkins or another receiver

4th round I grab Rodgers if he is there, I have gotten Reed a few times here, or Mixon, Cook, Montgomery

5th round I hate the backs here so this is almost always a receiver, Hill, Bryant, Crabtree

6th round is 50/50 Powell, Snead, Gillsee, I have had Olsen fall here a couple times

7th round is about value to me, I would love to have about 4 picks in this round. Parker, Cobb, Powell, Gillsee have fallen to here, Garcon.

8th round is almost always a qb or tight end Ertz, Eifert, Henry, Rudolph

9th round is usually my qb round and there are a ton left.

10th round is like the 7th round and has a ton of value White, another qb, John Brown, Enunwa, I have been getting West usually in the 12th, but he is going to start moving up fast.

11th through 15 I am grabbing 4 receivers and 1 tight end usually

I think there are still some landmines being taken in those first 5 rounds at RB. I think you and I differ on some of the rookie RB's. Personally, I wouldn't touch Mixon/McCaffrey/Cook at their ADP's. On the other end of the spectrum I also don't like Lynch being drafted where he is.

It's funny what a difference a year makes. Last year I was getting in some pretty heated arguments against Tavon Austin, and this year he is my most owned player. Different offense, and an ADP much lower can sure change your opinion on a guy quickly. 

7th round is about value to me, I would love to have about 4 picks in this round. Parker, Cobb, Powell, Gillsee have fallen to here, Garcon.

8th round is almost always a qb or tight end Ertz, Eifert, Henry, Rudolph
This is all great stuff, and I only quibble with this stretch. 

To me the 7th/8th are pretty tough. That is no-man's-land for TE imo. To me those TE's have so much more competition for targets than in the past I worry about a lot of "0"s from week to week unless there are injuries to the WR's. 

Guys like Parker/Powell/Gillislee are just so speculative. They SHOULD all take a big step forward but they are all pretty unproven. How many times have people thought they had the Patriots RB situation figured out? Are the NYJ going to be such a dumpster fire they hardly ever get near the endzone? The MIA offense is in the lower tier in terms of yardage and can it really support much past the huge workloads of Ajayi and Landry? 

I do like Garcon, but I like him a lot more in 2x contests than I do winner-take-all. He has a very high floor but I'm not sold on his ceiling until I see that SF offense get turned around. 

This is all great stuff, and I only quibble with this stretch. 

To me the 7th/8th are pretty tough. That is no-man's-land for TE imo. To me those TE's have so much more competition for targets than in the past I worry about a lot of "0"s from week to week unless there are injuries to the WR's. 

Guys like Parker/Powell/Gillislee are just so speculative. They SHOULD all take a big step forward but they are all pretty unproven. How many times have people thought they had the Patriots RB situation figured out? Are the NYJ going to be such a dumpster fire they hardly ever get near the endzone? The MIA offense is in the lower tier in terms of yardage and can it really support much past the huge workloads of Ajayi and Landry? 

I do like Garcon, but I like him a lot more in 2x contests than I do winner-take-all. He has a very high floor but I'm not sold on his ceiling until I see that SF offense get turned around. 
If this is a regular league I would agree with you, but it is best ball and the only prizes are for 1st and 2nd. I love the high upside guys.

It's all personal preference at this point, but strangely enough I was just thinking I'm liking the looks of my teams that load up on WR relatively early compared to RB.  These teams do all have one RB that I feel good about, but then it's a crapshoot for RB2.

In the middle of my last (50th) MFL10 draft for this year. Naturally all my teams look like winners to me, but I'm hoping for at least 15%. Just thought I'd share my most frequently owned by position and would be interested in any comments or comparisons to any of your most frequently owned.

Big Ben - With weapons like Brown, Bell, Bryant, I'm happy to pick him up in the 9th round as the 9/10 QB off the board. Plus, I like the letter B.

Bilal Powell - I think Forte is done and I'm happy when I can get Powell as an RB4. 

Cole Beasley - Getting him as an RB5 in this format feels like a great value. 

Delanie Walker - I liked him more in my earlier drafts than I do now, but still think he's worth the 8th round pick I've been using for him.

NE Patriots D - Generally, if one of my top 5 D's (NE being one of those) is available, I'm OK with reaching for my 1st D in the 15th or 16th and getting my 2nd D in the 19/20th round. I did like them a little better before Nink retired.

Just a function of which draft slot I had but, FWIW, my two most frequent 1st round picks were McCoy and Julio.

I thought there was a little bit of an over reaction to the Cooks signing and have a lot of exposure, about 20%, to Edelman which doesn't look so good now.

Generally I've wanted at least 2 RB's in the 1st 4 rounds.

brun said:
Big Ben - With weapons like Brown, Bell, Bryant, I'm happy to pick him up in the 9th round as the 9/10 QB off the board. Plus, I like the letter B.

Bilal Powell - I think Forte is done and I'm happy when I can get Powell as an RB4. 

Delanie Walker - I liked him more in my earlier drafts than I do now, but still think he's worth the 8th round pick I've been using for him.

NE Patriots D - Generally, if one of my top 5 D's (NE being one of those) is available, I'm OK with reaching for my 1st D in the 15th or 16th and getting my 2nd D in the 19/20th round. I did like them a little better before Nink retired.
Big Ben, agreed at that ADP. At least in the best ball format and he'll have more weapons this year than last.

Powell is one of those guys that I just almost never saw at their ADP, he went earlier in nearly every league I was in. I liked him before the unfortunate Enunwa news and really wished I would have reached for him after the news. All I can imagine is the 2nd half of Jets games where they dump off to Powell over and over again.

I was high on Beasley, then they drafted his clone and there were some lingering health concerns from last year so I was lower on Beasley, then Zeke got suspended and I got high on him again.

Walker, haven't really touched him since the NFL draft. Then they added Decker to curb his TD upside even more. He may prove me wrong but I'm not sure how many receivers that offense can support unless both RB's get injured. 

I completely agree the NE defense is somehow a "sleeper" this year. DB's look stronger than ever and I expect game script is going to help them in a huge way this year getting TO's as opponents try to keep up with that stacked offense.

Thanks! Great feedback.

When it comes to Walker, while I have drafted some early TE's and have some of Gronk, Kelce, Reed (somehow, no Olsen?). I generally targeted the 8th round for my 1st TE. Before the NFL draft and the acquisition of Decker I was focusing more on Walker there. Since then, while I'm still OK with him in the 8th, I started picking more guys like Ertz and Rudolph when available.

Thanks! Great feedback.

When it comes to Walker, while I have drafted some early TE's and have some of Gronk, Kelce, Reed (somehow, no Olsen?). I generally targeted the 8th round for my 1st TE. Before the NFL draft and the acquisition of Decker I was focusing more on Walker there. Since then, while I'm still OK with him in the 8th, I started picking more guys like Ertz and Rudolph when available.
Ideally I like to get Kelce and two guys late out of this group Thomas/Cook/Clay/Seferian-Jenkins.

If I miss out on Kelce I generally go for 3 of these guys Graham/Ebron/Hooper/Fleener/Witten.

For those using my web app, the Summary page is active, which will give you details for all of your leagues. Will be adding and fixing things throughout the season there.

In the middle of my last (50th) MFL10 draft for this year. Naturally all my teams look like winners to me, but I'm hoping for at least 15%. Just thought I'd share my most frequently owned by position and would be interested in any comments or comparisons to any of your most frequently owned.

Just a function of which draft slot I had but, FWIW, my two most frequent 1st round picks were McCoy and Julio.

I thought there was a little bit of an over reaction to the Cooks signing and have a lot of exposure, about 20%, to Edelman which doesn't look so good now.

Generally I've wanted at least 2 RB's in the 1st 4 rounds.
5 weeks in. Looks like I was pretty much wrong on everything.  :yucky:

3 1st's right now. Just hoping that a couple guys turn things around and I manage to break even.

Thanks for bumping this, brun. I thought about this thread about a week ago but never posted. It's tougher this year because we had bye weeks in week#1. Much easier to get a realistic view of what is going on just before the bye weeks and after.

I played in plenty of draftmaster leagues, but fewer MFL 10's this year. In the few MFL 10's I did participate in.....

1st: 10%

2nd: 30%

3rd: 20%

4th: 10%

5th: 10%

9th: 10%

12th: 10%  (!!!!!)

By far my best leagues are the two deep IDP draftmaster leagues I played in. Both 46 rounds. So much fun, so much less luck involved when you have a 46 man roster. I hope more people will try out of the box leagues like that next season. MFL 10's kind of feel like you are just praying you avoid injuries to me. Hopefully some of the familiar faces from this thread will give them a try next season.

http://www58.myfantasyleague.com/2017/home/67060#0

http://www58.myfantasyleague.com/2017/home/67076#0

2/3's in and thought I'd bump again. Would like to hear updates from anyone willing to share.

BoltBacker - looks like you were right around break even at your last post. Hope you're doing at least that well now.

With all the injuries, I agree with BoltBacker, huge changes can occur quickly. Some of the injuries may have helped me, as I've gone from 6% 1st's to 20%. This even includes a team with David Johnson. It's also good to see some guys, like Big Ben, finally coming through for me. Hopefully some of these guys can continue and I can finish with at least 10% 1st's.

I'll probably update again after week 15.

Good luck all

Doing my 1st mfl10 this year and averaging around 150 points a week. Is that pretty standard?

the thing that has been killing me is my QBs usually all go off the same week and suck the same week.

my bench points are 200points higher than the next team

I'm only in 12 MFL10 leagues, doing OK I guess, break even at this point with a chance for more:  Currently have 1 first place, 2 second place, 3 third, 2 fourth, 1 fifth, remaining 3 teams are 8,9, and 11 so they are done.  9 of the 12 teams are 5th or better.

Had a disastrous week 12 as I have tons of Ingram and no Kamara, and my skating by on a Chris Thompson thread teams plummeted.

Still have a 90% ROI and am winning 45 of 256 leagues.

I also currently have the highest scoring team in all of MFL10 leagues with 2127.1

I've got all player data collected and displayed here: https://www.ffpages.com/mfl10/public/Player

@Sarlakticacid 150 points per week is generally the benchmark for being competitive.

Had a disastrous week 12 as I have tons of Ingram and no Kamara, and my skating by on a Chris Thompson thread teams plummeted.

Still have a 90% ROI and am winning 45 of 256 leagues.

I also currently have the highest scoring team in all of MFL10 leagues with 2127.1

I've got all player data collected and displayed here: https://www.ffpages.com/mfl10/public/Player

@Sarlakticacid 150 points per week is generally the benchmark for being competitive.
Thanks BroadwayG.

Everytime i see your post, the trumpets from new direction go off in my head!

Next year I may consider doing mostly 50/50 leagues.  I have 10 MFLs this year and in 9 of them I am in spots 2-4, but have little chance of actually winning a league.  I don't remember the specifics last year exactly but it was something similar.  

Hey, one more week to go!

@BroadwayG - Just started looking at you Super articles. These are awesome! I hope everyone here reads these as they prepare for next year. I know I will.

Week 15 was hard on my teams. Too many <140 scores  :yucky:

Now at 9 firsts & 8 seconds out of 50 teams. I'd say 3-4 are locks for firsts. If I can report these same standings next week, I'll be very happy.

Good luck in week 16 everyone! 

I don't know about you guys but I can't remember the last time I had this many leagues decided on the last MNF game(s) of the year. 

Ugh.  Not a good week 16.  I have 12 leagues where I'm fighting for 1st or 2nd.  1 went my way while 7 did not.  My competitors seemed to have a lot of Gurley. 4 up in the air, but I'm guessing 0fer based on yesterday's luck.  Differene between slightly up for the year and really up.  Oh well.  Merry Christmas all!!!

Hey, one more week to go!

@BroadwayG - Just started looking at you Super articles. These are awesome! I hope everyone here reads these as they prepare for next year. I know I will.

Week 15 was hard on my teams. Too many <140 scores  :yucky:

Now at 9 firsts & 8 seconds out of 50 teams. I'd say 3-4 are locks for firsts. If I can report these same standings next week, I'll be very happy.

Good luck in week 16 everyone! 
Where are these articles?

Users who are viewing this thread