What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Ball (MFL10s, DRAFT, etc.) (1 Viewer)

These things are a lot of fun but I don't know that I would get so twisted up over what looks like a good roster yet. There is no way to tell especially with a format where there can be no changes. Once injuries kick in--look out! Last year I did 10 of these and easily on paper my worst team won it all. I mistakenly took 4 QBs (including Schaub and Fitzpatrick) and ONE defense by mistake.

I had Brown and some guy named C.J. Anderson.

I did around 35 of these last year and made a nice little profit. I won leagues mostly with value picks rather than breakouts. I.e. A Rodgers in the 4th, Gates, Bennett, Malcom Floyd, Bradshaw. Nearly all of my 1st/2nd place teams had over performing veteran TEs. I think a lot of people suffer from a new and shiny fixation and end up with half a team of guys who need to break out just to justify the draft spot let alone be a value in that slot. It's almost a bonus to get in a league with a bunch of fantasy writers because they all try to win the new and shiny trophy. also see a lot of people handcuffing rbs or taking both sides of a rbbc. My teams that had more than 1 player in one position from the same team generally performed poorly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did around 35 of these last year and made a nice little profit. I won leagues mostly with value picks rather than breakouts. I.e. A Rodgers in the 4th, Gates, Bennett, Malcom Floyd, Bradshaw. All of my 1st/2nd place teams had over performing veteran TEs. I think a lot of people suffer from a new and shiny fixation and end up with half a team of guys who need to break out just to justify the draft spot let alone be a value in that slot. It's almost a bonus to get in a league with a bunch of fantasy writers because they all try to win the new and shiny trophy. also see a lot of people handcuffing rbs or taking both sides of a rbbc. My teams that had more than 1 player in one position from the same team generally performed poorly.
I agree on avoiding handcuffs. There are very few I would ever consider taking. Ryan Mathews, Kniles Davis, and Tre Mason off the top of my head. I have drafted Foster in quite a few leagues and even with his injury history I never take Alfred Blue because I think he's not very good.

What veteran TEs are you targeting this year?

mrip541 said:
I did around 35 of these last year and made a nice little profit. I won leagues mostly with value picks rather than breakouts. I.e. A Rodgers in the 4th, Gates, Bennett, Malcom Floyd, Bradshaw. All of my 1st/2nd place teams had over performing veteran TEs. I think a lot of people suffer from a new and shiny fixation and end up with half a team of guys who need to break out just to justify the draft spot let alone be a value in that slot. It's almost a bonus to get in a league with a bunch of fantasy writers because they all try to win the new and shiny trophy. also see a lot of people handcuffing rbs or taking both sides of a rbbc. My teams that had more than 1 player in one position from the same team generally performed poorly.
Good info here. I tend to agree with this. That's why I will not be taking guys like Cooper @ his early 5th round ADP unless it changes in the next month or two and ends up more like the mid to late 6th to early 7th. And I love to see people go like Randle and then a few rounds later take McFadden or take Sims and then Martin. I got crushed last year in the 10 I did only getting 1 2nd place but I had a ton of injuries happen and my mistake was that I had a lot of the same guys on those 10 teams instead of diversifying and that ended up costing me. If you are planning on doing say 10 or more of these I would highly recommend mixing it up a bit and not keying on the same few guys especially early because if a key injury or two happens you're basically going to be screwed.

jeaton6 said:
30 hours in and 27 picks. Brutal
I just joined my first 3 leagues and guys are timing out in the 1st round. One league the draft has been going for 2 days and one owner hasn't even logged in yet. Guys are logging in a few hours before their picks and then don't show up again until they've got an hour left on the clock. So far pretty rinky dink IMO.

frigid5 said:
I'm targetting Bennett and Cameron. Bennett is going around the 7th and Cameron in the 9th. But I like to grab 3 TEs total.

Some guys going real late that I like as a TE3 are Maxx Williams, Clive Walford and Scott Chandler.

After just saying that about Cooper I got him @ 6.07 in one of these. See I don't mind him at that spot but early 5th is just too early IMO.

After just saying that about Cooper I got him @ 6.07 in one of these. See I don't mind him at that spot but early 5th is just too early IMO.
At least with Cooper he should be the clear cut wr1 on a team playing from behind most of the season. Plus, he was more or less universally considered the most pro ready of all the rookie wrs. I have a tough time understanding the White/Agholor/Perriman love though. At one time Parker would have been on that list but he's hasn't been over drafted nearly as much since the surgery.

jeaton6 said:
30 hours in and 27 picks. Brutal
I just joined my first 3 leagues and guys are timing out in the 1st round. One league the draft has been going for 2 days and one owner hasn't even logged in yet. Guys are logging in a few hours before their picks and then don't show up again until they've got an hour left on the clock. So far pretty rinky dink IMO.
That doesn't bother me nearly as much in a slow draft as the guy on either end of the draft, with two picks in a row and he makes one pick but waits several hours to make the second pick despite the fact he knows he is on the clock. That is the worst imo.

Never done one of these before but I know they allow 8 hours per pick. Is the #1 pick automatically on the clock as soon as the league fills or is there a delay before the first pick can be made?

Never done one of these before but I know they allow 8 hours per pick. Is the #1 pick automatically on the clock as soon as the league fills or is there a delay before the first pick can be made?
From what I've seen, leagues have two start times, and the one chosen is determined by when the league fills up. But they are like 1PM or 4PM ET.

You can also set it up so you get a text message whenever it's your turn to pick.

BroadwayG said:
The guys at draftsharks are putting out some free strategy articles this week. Highly recommend checking them out.
Are they written by the same people that do their projections? Some of those projections seem pretty ROUGH!

BroadwayG said:
The guys at draftsharks are putting out some free strategy articles this week. Highly recommend checking them out.
Yep I am in a league with one of the main guys over at DraftSharks and his name is Jason Phelps. He's a very smart guy and I wish he wasn't in my league. LOL

I'm starting to find my rhythm with the early round picks. A few things I've been happy with from the 1.01 spot.

TE/TE at the 6/7 turn

QB/QB at the 10/11 turn

I have some targets for my next one.

Fitz in the 8th.

Boldin in the 9th.

Gates/Allen/Eli in the 10th.

Eifert in the 11th.

Also, I think I way over drafted Watkins at 3.12. An admitted Homer pick. With no QB how good can he be? 80/1100/8? What's Boldin likely to do 80/1000/7?

Waiting on QB group-think has officially gone overboard

ETA: Luck/Rodgers going in 4th. Wilson 6th or 7th in these. Then these guys jump all over any qb with a pulse a few rounds after that.

At this point I'm really only high on Gates in the 10th. Last year I had a number of teams with both Bennett (10th) and Gates (13th) and it was just unfair. Can't really see how to pull the same stunt again...

If you don't go rb/rb in the first two I think 3 in the first 4 is almost necessary. I feel like going RB/RB is a lot stronger tho.

These are painfully slow. I'm currently in two. One started 13 days ago and is in round 16, the other started 10 days ago and is in round 12.

To be fair don't they estimate a draft will take ~2 weeks to complete?

If I purchase a small soda, it's not really a painfully small soda. It's just what I chose to buy.

If I purchase a small soda, it's not really a painfully small soda. It's just what I chose to buy.
I guess you are right, we sorta know what we're getting into. It just sucks to have 10 guys that average under an hour and two jackalopes that are around 6-7 hours a pick.

That's not really the point IMO...it's the head scratching way most of them seem to draft to create unnecessarily long delays. e.g.This guy's up at 3.10...he's got 1.5 hrs till he times out. I see him log in 3 times in that last 1.5 hrs and not only does he not pick, he times out and gets Sammy Watkins at 3.10....ha ha! Not only that, he's up again in 4 picks and he doesn't do ####....no pick no pre-draft, nothing. So now we wait another 8 hrs. Another draft a guy's got 3.11 and 4.2...he finally picks 3.11 after a 5 hr wait and then disappears even though he's up again in 2 picks and the 3.12/4.1 guy has pre-drafted both picks! I mean WTF! Half these jokers don't have a ####### clue. Another league we're in the 3rd day and 7th round and one guy has never even logged in...he timed out first 2 and now is on auto! 7 time-outs in 4 drafts of the so far and 3 are just in the 7th round and 1 in the 3rd. It's obvious that at least half of these people are the dumbest of the dumbest.

The worst part is the early round timeouts are almost rewarded as the ADP is decent. Those should be the most punished. Timing out in round 19 isn't the same as round 2.

It should go to autodrafting when you timeout and make you login to turn it off like most live drafts. The same guy not checking the whole way through costs you a week right there.

BroadwayG said:
It should go to autodrafting when you timeout and make you login to turn it off like most live drafts. The same guy not checking the whole way through costs you a week right there.
They do that after 2 timeouts
Ahh ok. Just watched a guy on the turn burn 16 hours but that makes sense.

I'm guessing most of you haven't done many slow drafts. They are what they are. When I do MFL10s Im pretty good about picking within an hour but if my pick arrives during the work day Im probably going to take 4-6 hours. Stop complaining and accept them for what they are.

I'm guessing most of you haven't done many slow drafts. They are what they are. When I do MFL10s Im pretty good about picking within an hour but if my pick arrives during the work day Im probably going to take 4-6 hours. Stop complaining and accept them for what they are.
Sounds like you're getting defensive because you're the slow guy. I just joking with you.

The problem with the people that time out (or just barely get their pick in) is that they clearly don't have time to do the draft. Which is fine but just don't do sign up for a draft. Or when you do have time maybe a few rounds of predraft picks so the draft is days or weeks sooner. Then they can get back to whatever it is that eats up their time.

Picking defenses is getting a lot more difficult. More people are picking 3 leaving some teams with only one.

What's most frustrating to me is that it just doesn't seem like some people pay attention to what's going on. When you log on to make your pick and you see that a bunch of people right after have pre-drafted then you know your next pick is coming up again soon. How hard is it to just check how the draft is going by using your phone. If you know your pick might come up in the middle of the night just make a pore-draft list.

The league I'm in now has a bunch of fast drafters other than two. The one is the expert who invited everyone to the league on twitter. Everyone is under an hour for their average pick except for the two. Most people are under a half hour actually. One of our guys went on auto pick after the first two rounds because he never even logged on. At least the rest of his picks have gone fast.

ETA: Luck/Rodgers going in 4th. Wilson 6th or 7th in these. Then these guys jump all over any qb with a pulse a few rounds after that.
In a "best ball" setting waiting on a QB makes even more sense though.

Is there a way to change the league name, or make them easier to differentiate for those who do multiple drafts?

I'd like to hear any other organization tips for those who do multiple drafts. So far I'm just keeping track of everything in Word with the Notebook view and color coded tabs.

That's not really the point IMO...it's the head scratching way most of them seem to draft to create unnecessarily long delays. e.g.This guy's up at 3.10...he's got 1.5 hrs till he times out. I see him log in 3 times in that last 1.5 hrs and not only does he not pick, he times out and gets Sammy Watkins at 3.10....ha ha! Not only that, he's up again in 4 picks and he doesn't do ####....no pick no pre-draft, nothing. So now we wait another 8 hrs. Another draft a guy's got 3.11 and 4.2...he finally picks 3.11 after a 5 hr wait and then disappears even though he's up again in 2 picks and the 3.12/4.1 guy has pre-drafted both picks! I mean WTF! Half these jokers don't have a ####### clue. Another league we're in the 3rd day and 7th round and one guy has never even logged in...he timed out first 2 and now is on auto! 7 time-outs in 4 drafts of the so far and 3 are just in the 7th round and 1 in the 3rd. It's obvious that at least half of these people are the dumbest of the dumbest.
Yeah, that frustration is understandable. But there is some solace at least in the fact that these "disengaged" owners are less likely to be competition to actually win $. It may be painful to deal with those owners for a few hours now, but may make you money in the long run.

I started 4 more yesterday. Drafted Charles, Forsett, Ellington with 3 of my first 4 picks. Just realized they have the same bye. :doh:

Seriously, if you just enter one it's going to be painful. I had 12 going at the same time and you'd it's going to be too much but it really isn't. Now I have 2 finishing up and 4 new ones and it feels too slow. Will start another 5 or 6 tomorrow. I think about 10 going at once is optimal. You're never waiting long to pick. Most of the action is right when you wake up and just need to check in periodically during the day.

cheese said:
Dr. Octopus said:

Completely agree. There still has to be a tipping point though.
I just got Peyton at 8.01. Seems like a steal.

Willie Neslon said:
Penguin said:
These are painfully slow. I'm currently in two. One started 13 days ago and is in round 16, the other started 10 days ago and is in round 12.
Enter 10 at once. You won't even notice.
I try to keep it so I don't have more than 4 going at once. I currently have five but two just started and one is now in the 18th.

cheese said:
Dr. Octopus said:

Completely agree. There still has to be a tipping point though.
I just got Peyton at 8.01. Seems like a steal.
Peyton typically goes late 6th/early 7th so you got a round+ advantage over the average.

Borden said:
Picking defenses is getting a lot more difficult. More people are picking 3 leaving some teams with only one.
It could also be different strategies.

Before the NFL draft there is no way I would take more than one. At the end of August I will likely be taking three. Right now there is PROBABLY no way I take three unless the league leaves a very good defense on the board in the last round.

Willie Neslon said:
Penguin said:
Enter 10 at once. You won't even notice.
That's what I thought so I got 7 going at once and it's no better at all. I'm on all day and I've still had to pre-draft 19 of 38 picks before I go to bed because other people won't. I don't enjoy pre-drafting but I do it because it's proper etiquette. I just hate drafting with fools and that's what half of these jokers are.

I have no problem with slow drafts and I realize people have other commitments which limit their access, but it's these idiots that can't look a few picks ahead or hang around for a few minutes if they've got another pick coming up that irks me.

This latest bozo logs in at 12:35 AM with back to back picks, makes one of them and then disappears. That was 2 hrs ago. This other moron has picks 8.11 and 9.2. He picks 8.11 and now he's an hour and a half from timing out on 9.2 because he didn't pre-draft it. This is likely to be an 8 hr delay because he didn't pre-draft 3 spots ahead. Another guy has 1.10 and 2.3,,,,,the guy after him at 1.11/2.2 is online and the guy at 1.12/2.1 has pre-drafted. The moron drafts and immediately leaves and doesn't show up again for 7 hrs. That's the kind of crap most of us are complaining about...it's the absolutely senseless, moronic and unnecessary delays not the legitimate ones.

Robert Woods at 19.01 is a steal. He's going really late in drafts and is a clear number 2.

There's guys being drafted around then might not even made the roster never mind getting on the field.

Let's say he gets 4 TDs on the year. Plus, PPR and yardage that's likely 4 weeks of 10+ point production. Why not?

Users who are viewing this thread