What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL OOTP League Sign-up and Discussion*** (1 Viewer)

Arsenal of Doom

Footballguy
Firing this up as the spot for discussion and determining interest in doing an online OOTP League as a substitute or supplement to WIS.

For those unfamiliar with OOTP, it's regarded as the best baseball simulation software on the market. Here is a link to the website for anyone interested in reading up on the current version, which is what we'd be using as the league platform:

OOTP 16 Website

The cost of the software is $39.99, although if a number of people went in together eephus pointed out that there is a 20% discount available. That's roughly the cost of 3 individual seasons of WIS and could be used for as many league simulations as we want and as individual games as your heart desires.

Everyone who wanted to play would need to purchase the software as the game client needs to be installed on everyone's computer. The exchange of league files is handled via FTP, but it all happens within the game client. When you open an online game you log in as the manager of whatever team you control and check to see if there is a new version of the league file. When you get the file you make whatever changes you want for your team for the simulation period and click a button to upload the file back to the league website. This would be scheduled at regular intervals, typically 2-3 times during the week.

The league commissioner imports the team files, run the simulation and uploads the reports and new league file back to the website. Here is a sample of the website generated for the current BTTF simulation we are doing:

WIS BTTF Website

We can use this domain as our league home for future leagues if we decide to do this.

There will be some pros and cons to this compared to WIS. I'll list a few that we can talk about and others can add on in the discussion.

Pros

One time investment, with unlimited play thereafter

Deeper level of team control and manager options

Ability to simulate multiple seasons or decades if we want

Richer league experience, with player profiles, story lines, historical stats, etc.

Cons

Bigger one time expense

No simlive equivalent

We may or may not be able to pick players from specific seasons as we currently do with WIS (other than full seasons at a time)

I'll save the post below for a list of those interested and we'll take it from there.

1. Arsenal of Doom

2. RnR

3. Eephus

4. Tre

5. Bogart

6. BradyMarino

7. Northern Voice

8. Spartans Rule

9. HellToupee

10. Scoobus

11. Koya

12. rodg12

13. cheese

14. Moops

15. boubucarow

16. Pickles

17. Frosty

18. Timmypg

19. LongDuckDong

20. Nemisis

21. njherdfan

22. Kraft

23. SCBF

Last edited by a moderator:
Lifting this from the other thread.

If we were going all-in on an OOTP league, would it be possible for this group to do a multi-year dynasty from 2015 forward?

Each of us takes a real team, finances are set to a level playing field, and then all players (Major and Minor) are thrown into a pool for a very large initial draft. We could then progress along at an agreed upon pace, making stops for the amateur draft, trade deadline, off-season free agency, Rule 5 draft, etc. along the way. OOTP has a great depth of cool stuff, including seven international leagues to scout. No way this gets boring with the connection we all have to keep the chatter going on this board.

If you wanted to take it next level, we could even set some sort of a nominal fee for each season, say $5, to award $100 to the World Champion and $50 to the other league champion at the conclusion of each season. That should keep the activity pretty spicy, and winning one time in 20 seasons is a break-even proposition. (Sorry Cubs owner)
ETA: If we do decide to go this route, I'd be glad to assist in some of the commissioner duties. We probably need a panel of 3-5 guys to assist AoD to make sure this doesn't become a huge hassle for him.

If we were going all-in on an OOTP league, would it be possible for this group to do a multi-year dynasty from 2015 forward?

Each of us takes a real team, finances are set to a level playing field, and then all players (Major and Minor) are thrown into a pool for a very large initial draft. We could then progress along at an agreed upon pace, making stops for the amateur draft, trade deadline, off-season free agency, Rule 5 draft, etc. along the way. OOTP has a great depth of cool stuff, including seven international leagues to scout. No way this gets boring with the connection we all have to keep the chatter going on this board.

If you wanted to take it next level, we could even set some sort of a nominal fee for each season, say $5, to award $100 to the World Champion and $50 to the other league champion at the conclusion of each season. That should keep the activity pretty spicy, and winning one time in 20 seasons is a break-even proposition. (Sorry Cubs owner)
ETA: If we do decide to go this route, I'd be glad to assist in some of the commissioner duties. We probably need a panel of 3-5 guys to assist AoD to make sure this doesn't become a huge hassle for him.
So do we start with real players, and then the game generates new players from there? Do we have full minor league systems? How much day-to-day time commitment would it take?

So do we start with real players, and then the game generates new players from there? Do we have full minor league systems? How much day-to-day time commitment would it take?
I envision we'd do something similar in scope to the BTTF draft but maybe go up to 60 rounds. That would cover just about every current major leaguer and prospect available.

If we do what RnR is proposing we can also do an amateur draft and international signing period for each season, which would start to work in fictional players as we move forward.

I've done online leagues in the past and you can control how much time you spend to a certain extent. If you really micro manage your minor leagues you can easily spend 45 mins to an hour for each simulation period. But you can also set your minor league managers to control everything at that level and do nothing more than tinker with your line-ups and deal with any injuries that pop up.

Interested, but is it accessible from phone/tablet?
Someone more versed in recent versions of OOTP should be able to answer this. I know there is a phone/tablet version of the game now, but I don't know if it connects to the full PC/Mac version or if it is just a lighter version to play on the go.

Interested but I ha a few questions. First, is this an act fast keyboard needed game (with my disability I can't play those games)? Second, I've never played this before, is that a problem?

Interested but I ha a few questions. First, is this an act fast keyboard needed game (with my disability I can't play those games)? Second, I've never played this before, is that a problem?
No keyboarding is required. The game is a text based stat simulator so most of what you do as a player happens from pull down menus and the pace is whatever you need it to be.

Anyone with a general understanding and appreciation of baseball should be able to enjoy the game right away. I imagine most of the people doing this won't have done an online league version of this before. You may also be able to find a demo of last year's version to test out.

Another question - obviously it'd be awesome to get 30 people to do this, but if we don't, can we shrink the league or let the AI manage some teams?

I think anywhere between 20-30 will work. We can adjust the league size and/or some owners could run multiple teams. I'd personally rather stay away from computer managed teams as we'd need to disable trading with them.

Shall we start the competition for Twins ownership? Lots of anxious owners looking to take the reins of our team.

Lurking on this.

Just quickly scanned this and will look into it as my regular roto auction league just folded this yr after 10 years.

Is there a draft or auction? if so, when? (maybe this is explained better in the links....need time to digest)

Lurking on this.

Just quickly scanned this and will look into it as my regular roto auction league just folded this yr after 10 years.

Is there a draft or auction? if so, when? (maybe this is explained better in the links....need time to digest)
Mostly schtick with some drafting in between.

I'd be in. I'm in an online OOTP league that's sill using 15 so I won't be getting 16 for a few weeks when we upgrade, but I'll be in at that point.

I updated the second post with everyone who has responded so far. Are we generally agreed that the the first league we do will be the current MLB redraft and ongoing sim?

I updated the second post with everyone who has responded so far. Are we generally agreed that the the first league we do will be the current MLB redraft and ongoing sim?
You know I'm in that camp. I do think that's our best chance of garnering initial interest.

You know I'm in that camp. I do think that's our best chance of garnering initial interest.
The logistics would be tough but it would be awesome to somehow pull off an auction for the business end of the rosters

Bump.

We've had 23 people express interest so far. Let's give it another few days to gather names. If we end up short of 30 are there opinions on whether we should double up on owners to get to 30 (there is no additional cost for anyone to do this, just extra time to manage two teams) or contract the league down to a smaller number?

How much time would I have to put into this?
It'll vary. We'll have a start-up draft that will take a few weeks, your time there will mainly be as long as it takes you to research players you want each round. Once season play starts I'd expect to spend around 20 minutes per sim, with 2 sims per week.

I'm still interested in participating and can even donate the domain I set up for the league reports. My work has blown up though so I don't have time to try to commish. 

Users who are viewing this thread