What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Ty Montgomery, NE (2 Viewers)

This may be true.  Thanks for reminding me of the kidney.  I just figured it was the team trying to figure out how to handle it during the game, but you are right that there may be lasting issues from the initial injury that led to the diagnosis.
Organ injuries are extremely serious and precautions are necessary is a contact sport. It's odd for it to linger for weeks but I suppose that's where the sickle cell trait comes in. 

I'm holding and I'm not worried about his usage once he's 100%. I just don't know when that will be...

Whatever is going on, you can't start this guy until you see something. last roster spot for me in the league I have him.
I agree, and yet I probably have to keep rolling him out there (16-team league, start 3 WRs, Tyrell on bye, trash on WW). In fact, given that my other WRs are JBrown and Coleman, he's probably my WR1.  :wall:

The weirdest part is that their offense never looked so good as the game where they featured him heavily (it was vs. the Bears, but still). And the past couple weeks with him out/limited, they've lost three straight. That at least offers me some hope that once he's healthy they'll work him back in. If James Starks is the answer, I don't want to know the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a dysfunctional offense outside of peppering Davante Adams.

They're in a free-fall and I'm not sure going back to the Ty Montgomery well can stop the bleeding.

So I think the question is this: Given that he's got the dual position designation in most leagues, is is flexibility worth the hassle? McCarthy isn't having his best season calling plays (also, injuries), but I have to believe he's at least better at this than anyone here and knows his personnel infintiely better than anyone here as well. My guess is that health is the primary concern. However, if Montgomery is healthy enough to get on the field, one would think he'd be healthy enough to get a higher volume of snaps.

Remaining schedule is @ WAS, @ PHI, HOU, SEA, @ CHI, MIN, @ DET. Washington allows a decent amount of FP to RBs, Philly is tough, Houston is decent, although not as favorable as Washington, Seattle is tough and surprisingly enough, so is Chicago. Minnesota is relatively tough against the run and Detroit isn't as bad against the run as they are against the pass. So even if he comes back and plays a prominent role, it's not like they're facing Cleveland and SF the rest of the way. 

If you have room to hang onto him, I personally think it's fine (that's what I'm doing), but I wouldn't hesitate to drop him if you have a decent waiver priority (or a healthy FAB) and there's someone you believe will improve your team. 

I'm currently considering stashing Damien Williams with Ty's spot, FWIW. 

Best wishes for the guys health. 

But finding out two days later he was on a snap count does me no good. 

Not worth a roster spot if the team doesn't indicate this before game time. 
Are we sure his snap % decline is due to health?

Or was it due to Starks getting healthy?

Montgomery was just dropped and I need all the help I can get.

Organ injuries are extremely serious and precautions are necessary is a contact sport. It's odd for it to linger for weeks but I suppose that's where the sickle cell trait comes in. 

I'm holding and I'm not worried about his usage once he's 100%. I just don't know when that will be...
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how this injury/ailment is such that it's OK to play a little bit, but not OK to play a lot.

Ty Montgomery’s snaps over the#Packers last three games: 69% > 45% > 28%. Richard Rodgers’ snaps over the same frame: 42% > 71% > 83%. (from@GrahamBarfield)
This is pretty interesting.  Who would have thought that Richard Rodgers would be the one benefitting from Ty Montgomery playing less snaps.  Sitting a WR/RB and replacing him with a TE.   I am not sure what this means going forward though... Has Rodgers earned more playing time?
If so, then the Packers coaching staff have watched a different game than I have. He's been peppered with targets and there wasn't a single time I came away impressed. I have no idea what the fascination is with him and it's concerning. I think the Packers miss Joe Philbin.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how this injury/ailment is such that it's OK to play a little bit, but not OK to play a lot.
We'd have to ask a doctor, but I'm assuming they're monitoring him as he plays. If he's feeling any ill effects, they let him rest. But I dunno...

Montgomery was just dropped and I need all the help I can get.
Yeah, probably in every redraft league out there I would imagine.

Dynasty guys might see something, but for 2016 there has to be an element of doubt running through Ty or the staff (or both) regarding his health.

I still disagree.  I picked Ty up and played him several weeks.  I have been able to watch him play 2 games and was not impressed.  More specifically, I was not impressed with him in play-action passes or where he runs a vertical route out of the backfield.  He takes WAY too long to get into his route and dances too much at the top of his breaks against linebackers.  After all that time, it's just too late into the play to even be an option for Rodgers to pass to.  

Second, he doesn't look smooth in screen plays.  He either gets too engaged in the chip block or looks lost if he has a free release.  

I've said before, that he is good once he has the ball in space, but he isn't doing himself any favors taking so long to get into his route.  You can't release him in the flat every time.  It's on Ty to get open and make himself unpredictable beyond passes into the flat.  Otherwise, he is too predictable to defend.  I challenge anybody to rewatch the past two weeks games, but critique him on when he runs routes out of the backfield based on what I've described and see if you come to a different conclusion. 

As far as the snap count, if the Packers were that worried about him, then why are they wasting his snaps on special teams?

Ty Montgomery (undisclosed) did not practice Wednesday.
It's unclear why Montgomery isn't in attendance. Our best guess would be it's related to his illness a couple weeks ago, but we'll provided an update later. Montgomery's role has been significantly reduced the past couple weeks with Davante Adams playing large and James Starks back healthy.
Ruh roh...

Update later but you can't start Montgomery right now until he gets 2 full practices and more clarification about this role comes this week.

Ty Montgomery’s snaps over the#Packers last three games: 69% > 45% > 28%. Richard Rodgers’ snaps over the same frame: 42% > 71% > 83%. (from@GrahamBarfield)
This is pretty interesting.  Who would have thought that Richard Rodgers would be the one benefitting from Ty Montgomery playing less snaps.  Sitting a WR/RB and replacing him with a TE.   I am not sure what this means going forward though... Has Rodgers earned more playing time?
Rodgers is in because we cannot protect Aaron Rodgers. So Richard Rodgers gives them an extra OL kind of. Also, our WRs have been banged up so Richard Rodgers has been playing in the passing game as well. I may be mistaken, but Montgomery has spent most of his time in practice with the RBs, not the WRs. 

For me, if I need space he's first on the chopping block. For now, I do not need space so he is more valuable on my bench

Ty Montgomery missed Wednesday's practice with an illness.
It's not related to Montgomery's sickle-cell trait. The missed practice is a concern, but doesn't sound like anything that should keep Montgomery out of Week 11.
Ok that's good to hear. However the signing of Christine Michael makes him droppable. Dude definitely isn't a JAG like Starks IMHO.

Ok that's good to hear. However the signing of Christine Michael makes him droppable. Dude definitely isn't a JAG like Starks IMHO.
He's droppable but he's definitely not JAG?  :confused:

If he's not JAG then you'd want to hold onto him, no? 

Michael signing with the Packers does nothing to harm or help Montgomery's value. Montgomery holds value as a PPR RB. Michael may not even last very long on the team. 4th team in less than 2 years. 

I still disagree.  I picked Ty up and played him several weeks.  I have been able to watch him play 2 games and was not impressed.  More specifically, I was not impressed with him in play-action passes or where he runs a vertical route out of the backfield.  He takes WAY too long to get into his route and dances too much at the top of his breaks against linebackers.  After all that time, it's just too late into the play to even be an option for Rodgers to pass to.  

Second, he doesn't look smooth in screen plays.  He either gets too engaged in the chip block or looks lost if he has a free release.  

I've said before, that he is good once he has the ball in space, but he isn't doing himself any favors taking so long to get into his route.  You can't release him in the flat every time.  It's on Ty to get open and make himself unpredictable beyond passes into the flat.  Otherwise, he is too predictable to defend.  I challenge anybody to rewatch the past two weeks games, but critique him on when he runs routes out of the backfield based on what I've described and see if you come to a different conclusion. 

As far as the snap count, if the Packers were that worried about him, then why are they wasting his snaps on special teams?
This is why he's a RB, in my opinion. Much better when handed the ball than when passed the ball. 

He's droppable but he's definitely not JAG?  :confused:

If he's not JAG then you'd want to hold onto him, no? 

Michael signing with the Packers does nothing to harm or help Montgomery's value. Montgomery holds value as a PPR RB. Michael may not even last very long on the team. 4th team in less than 2 years. 
"Dude" being Michael, not Montgomery. Michael is talented enough to take the starting job and relegate Starks to backup duties... a.k.a a legit RB rotation.

chad in Indy said:
Against Chicago and Indianapolis.  Color me skeptical. 
Color us all skeptical. It's a small sample size. He still looked good though. 

Between his health issues making his snap count and availability a wild card, and the arrival of C-Mike, I am having a hard time seeing any upside left for Ty.  I have to rationalize it through squinting eyes to see it.  Potentially a WR4 on a pass happy offense with a lousy defense? When he was the starting RB, you had something to hang your hat on.  Now Starks took that baseline of points away from him. Not that I'm worried about Starks staying power.  If I start hearing practice reports about C-Mike being "woke" again, I can't continue to roster Ty.  And I really really like his upside. Those back to back ten catch games especially in PPR are fantasy gold.  Hard to let go of that.  Maybe I'm late to the drop Ty party?

Between his health issues making his snap count and availability a wild card, and the arrival of C-Mike, I am having a hard time seeing any upside left for Ty.  I have to rationalize it through squinting eyes to see it.  Potentially a WR4 on a pass happy offense with a lousy defense? When he was the starting RB, you had something to hang your hat on.  Now Starks took that baseline of points away from him. Not that I'm worried about Starks staying power.  If I start hearing practice reports about C-Mike being "woke" again, I can't continue to roster Ty.  And I really really like his upside. Those back to back ten catch games especially in PPR are fantasy gold.  Hard to let go of that.  Maybe I'm late to the drop Ty party?
My thoughts too. He is very under-utilized and how long do we buy this snap count thing? If he was on a snap count why put him out there on special teams? 

I can't trust McCarthy anymore with anyone but Jordy and Rodgers. Other than that it's kind of a crap shoot. 

I think Ty is more attractive for next season. He has shown some really good talent this year and may have a role carved into this offense with an entire offseason of training and learning for it. 

I can't see myself dropping him because I can keep him for very cheap, and I cannot see myself playing him the rest of the season just because his floor is no longer ~10 points. It's as low as any other player.  

My thoughts too. He is very under-utilized and how long do we buy this snap count thing? If he was on a snap count why put him out there on special teams? 

I can't trust McCarthy anymore with anyone but Jordy and Rodgers. Other than that it's kind of a crap shoot. 

I think Ty is more attractive for next season. He has shown some really good talent this year and may have a role carved into this offense with an entire offseason of training and learning for it. 

I can't see myself dropping him because I can keep him for very cheap, and I cannot see myself playing him the rest of the season just because his floor is no longer ~10 points. It's as low as any other player.  
I'm tempted to dump him for a Ladarius Green or Percy Harvin type of player at this point. I thought Montgomery was in a great situation. Now I can't trust him at all moving forward in this offense. I have to imagine GB fans are sick of McCarthy at this point. I know FF people are.

I'm tempted to dump him for a Ladarius Green or Percy Harvin type of player at this point. I thought Montgomery was in a great situation. Now I can't trust him at all moving forward in this offense. I have to imagine GB fans are sick of McCarthy at this point. I know FF people are.
Just did this exact thing, myself. I have a ton of crappy RBs and 4 solid WRs. My TEs are also horrible. Couldn't afford to continue to speculate despite the awesome flexibility Montgomery offers. 

Just did this exact thing, myself. I have a ton of crappy RBs and 4 solid WRs. My TEs are also horrible. Couldn't afford to continue to speculate despite the awesome flexibility Montgomery offers. 
I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on it. I'm frustrated with that whole situation. And I think what angers me most is that I just lost my 2nd game of the season last week due to facing Rodgers/Jordy/Davante/Starks all on the same team. Of course those guys produced, and mine didn't. I thought Montgomery was going to be a PPR season changer but maybe it was just a couple week thing. I'm fine with that, but just wish I knew what the hell was going on. Scratch that, I just want McCarthy to know what the hell is going on.

I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on it. I'm frustrated with that whole situation. And I think what angers me most is that I just lost my 2nd game of the season last week due to facing Rodgers/Jordy/Davante/Starks all on the same team. Of course those guys produced, and mine didn't. I thought Montgomery was going to be a PPR season changer but maybe it was just a couple week thing. I'm fine with that, but just wish I knew what the hell was going on. Scratch that, I just want McCarthy to know what the hell is going on.
I feel you. Rode that train since day one. Started him once. If you have the room to keep him it's not a bad hold. I just needed the TE versatility and have some pretty decent WR options. If he goes off again, so be it. 

I feel you. Rode that train since day one. Started him once. If you have the room to keep him it's not a bad hold. I just needed the TE versatility and have some pretty decent WR options. If he goes off again, so be it. 
I think I may follow suit. I'm afraid he's going to go off again. But Montgomery was limited again with an "illness" and they already have Jordy/Cobb/Adams to feed. 

Odds are that if he goes off again, he'll be on your bench (or the wire). Next week you'll put him in and he'll post another 8 point fantasy stat line. Two healthy "RBs" have joined in the fun since he made his splash and Cobb, who does much of the same thing has gotten healthier. Reading the tea leaves, I think GB wants to not have AR pass 50 times a game and sees a real running game as the key to their success. I think the NFL has proven you're probably not going to win the Super Bowl without some resemblance of a quasi traditional run game. Something to keep Tom Brady (or who ever) off the field. A converted WR with a medical condition that could limit his playing time at the drop of a hat (no idea if this is actually the case medically or not) is probably not something to hang you coaching hat on

I dropped him today to take a flyer on Percy Harvin... I look at 2 healthy RBs that will play ahead of Ty and he is the #4 WR.  If there are any injuries he could fill in and put up some numbers, but I need to see something from him before I start him and I dont think there is any guarantee he does it multiple weeks and I hate chasing points.  I think there is a chance, very small though, that Harvin could become the #1 and could be someone to help teams in the playoffs (he says he is healthy and injuries have been his achilles heel).  Just comparing Montgomery to Harvin I think Harvin could be startable and maybe even a game changer down the road while Montgomery wil be very hard to trust.

I dropped him today to take a flyer on Percy Harvin... I look at 2 healthy RBs that will play ahead of Ty and he is the #4 WR.  If there are any injuries he could fill in and put up some numbers, but I need to see something from him before I start him and I dont think there is any guarantee he does it multiple weeks and I hate chasing points.  I think there is a chance, very small though, that Harvin could become the #1 and could be someone to help teams in the playoffs (he says he is healthy and injuries have been his achilles heel).  Just comparing Montgomery to Harvin I think Harvin could be startable and maybe even a game changer down the road while Montgomery wil be very hard to trust.
I did the same, but may end up dumping him for Ladarius tomorrow. I'm on the fence between the two. If the Bills offense moving forward looks anything like it did on MNF then someone, aside from Robert Woods, needs to emerge. Harvin is talented and perhaps now that he has had a long rest that he will be healthy for this stretch of games. There's no denying his talent. It's a dice roll at this point.

I'm stubborn.  Not dropping.  I know what my eyes saw... surely the Packers saw the same things, and McCarthy said as much.  He's not been healthy -- if he's fully healthy, no snap count, and gets benched... maybe then I'll bail... but not now.

I'm stubborn.  Not dropping.  I know what my eyes saw... surely the Packers saw the same things, and McCarthy said as much.  He's not been healthy -- if he's fully healthy, no snap count, and gets benched... maybe then I'll bail... but not now.
I'm kind of where you are...

The upside with this guy seems to be much higher than any of the middling talents I can pick up on the wire. I already snatched up Meredith and Tyreek Hill this week, and don't see many other good dart throws on the wire.

It's just a flesh wound!

(For the record, I'm sticking, too, and I kind of buy your argument. But that may just be to convince myself, since I don't have better options anyway. I do think the fact that they've been on a losing streak at the same time they haven't been utilizing him offers at least a glimmer of hope.

Yeah I'm in the same position. Not dropping him yet, but I can't play him right now. This is his last chance to impress with Christine Michael probably inactive this week (barely got practice with the team at all). Ty is almost out of avenues to get on the field... he rarely lines up at WR with everyone healthy (Janis/Allison/Davis are getting looks at WR) and the RB backfield will get crowded soon. I realize last week was a snap count situation but he's effectively lost his volume and the coaching staff doesn't care how the team played in the Bears game, just that they need to get back to a traditional running game.

I'm kind of where you are...

The upside with this guy seems to be much higher than any of the middling talents I can pick up on the wire. I already snatched up Meredith and Tyreek Hill this week, and don't see many other good dart throws on the wire.
Percy Harvin?

I'm considering that move

Silva mentioned in his weekly match-ups that Ty missed two blitz pick-ups that less directly to sacks. That's the kind of stuff that will keep him on the bench. 

Sealed the deal for me to drop him.

at this point Harvin has more upside in targets as the top option in that offense vs Ty at wr5 or rb2/3 or wherever he stands in the pecking order at rb
I agree, except I'll have to see that Harvin is the top option in his offense before I believe it

The Frankman said:
Yeah I'm in the same position. Not dropping him yet, but I can't play him right now. This is his last chance to impress with Christine Michael probably inactive this week (barely got practice with the team at all). Ty is almost out of avenues to get on the field... he rarely lines up at WR with everyone healthy (Janis/Allison/Davis are getting looks at WR) and the RB backfield will get crowded soon. I realize last week was a snap count situation but he's effectively lost his volume and the coaching staff doesn't care how the team played in the Bears game, just that they need to get back to a traditional running game.
I have no idea if you're right, but if so, how crazy is that? McCarthy may well be coaching for his job, but he's more concerned with establishing the running game?

I am sucked back in this week (watching, not playing him). He led RBs in snaps and was easily the most productive RB last week in the snow, and to me, he looked a little more comfortable running near the line. Most of his carries also came in the last 20 minutes of the game. Could we see him take over this backfield and be startable by week 15?

I am sucked back in this week (watching, not playing him). He led RBs in snaps and was easily the most productive RB last week in the snow, and to me, he looked a little more comfortable running near the line. Most of his carries also came in the last 20 minutes of the game. Could we see him take over this backfield and be startable by week 15?
he looked by far like the best RB that they have. cmike looks like exactly what he is, a guy they got off the trash heap. 

It confuses me why McCarthy doesn't realize he's the most effective rb he has

Users who are viewing this thread