What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Ty Montgomery, NE (1 Viewer)

So why does Gase  hate Montgomery now?  He used him with success all preseason and now Ty barely gets a touch when Bell is gimpy or on the sideline.  Was Powell hurt in the preseason?

I guess we'll see how happens tomorrow but I expect it to be the Powell show for whatever reason.

So why does Gase  hate Montgomery now?  He used him with success all preseason and now Ty barely gets a touch when Bell is gimpy or on the sideline.  Was Powell hurt in the preseason?

I guess we'll see how happens tomorrow but I expect it to be the Powell show for whatever reason.
Powell was coming off a serious injury that at the time was considered a potential year-ender.

I think Gase still likes Montgomery, but the Jets have 1) not been a decent offense except for that three-week stretch and 2) run a very slow-paced offense leading to not too many snaps. There are only so many snaps to go around on this offense.

I expect Powell to get about 50% of the snaps and Montgomery & Adams to split the rest.

Rotoworld:

Le'Veon Bell (illness) is out for Week 14 against the Dolphins.

Players rarely miss games with illnesses, but things happen. The Jets will turn to Bilal Powell and Ty Montgomery on Sunday against an awful Dolphins defense. It's still hard to trust these backs as confident plug-and-play options because of how inconsistent the Jets offense is, but Powell has been the more utilized backup in recent weeks. Expect Bell, who has averaged a league-worst 3.2 yards per carry behind this New York offensive line, to return in Week 15.

RELATED: 

Ty Montgomery

, Bilal Powell

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 7, 2019, 4:53 PM ET

NewOrleans.Football's Nick Underhill reports the Saints signed RB Ty Montgomery.

The Saints will be Montgomery's fourth team since 2018. He showed plenty of promise as a RB/WR hybrid during his first 3.5 seasons with the Packers, but the 27-year-old back has struggled to find consistent playing time with the Ravens and Jets. Coach Sean Payton obviously has a weak spot for players that can play multiple positions, but it's hard to see Montgomery seeing more than a handful of touches per game inside of this loaded offense.

SOURCE: Nick Underhill on Twitter

May 15, 2020, 4:00 PM ET

:)  Saints? Sounds cool but... l think Dwayne Washington has been really good on ST and has looked good at running the ball. I don’t think they need a RB3. They need a WR3.

Montgomery looked decent in the preseason last year, but was then totally ignored by Gase in the regular season.  The Saints will probably scheme him better...until he gets hurt.

Ty Montgomery played 69 percent of the Saints' offensive snaps and saw 60 percent of the team's rushing attempts in Week 17 against the Panthers. 

It was workhorse-like usage for Montgomery with Alvin Kamara and Latavius Murray on the reserve/COVID-19 list. Kamara and Murray could return to the lineup for Sunday's Wild Card game against the Bears. If they can't, expect another heavy workload for Montgomery, who also saw two targets in the Saints' Week 17 blowout win over Carolina. 

RELATED: 

Latavius Murray

, Alvin Kamara

Jan 4, 2021, 9:44 AM ET

Saints re-signed RB Ty Montgomery to a one-year contract.

The deal includes a $137,500 signing bonus. Montgomery was a healthy scratch in 10-of-16 games. He ran for 105 yards on 18 carries in a Week 17 spot appearance and had five touches in the Divisional Round loss to Tampa. Montgomery provides the cap-strapped Saints depth at running back, receiver, and kick returner.

Mar 6, 2021, 9:08 AM ET

Patriots coach Bill Belichick said RB Ty Montgomery (ankle) "will undergo more tests" after leaving Friday's preseason finale against the Raiders.​

Montgomery travelled back to New England with the team, where he'll undergo an MRI to determine the severity of the ankle injury. The veteran third-down back has played ahead of rookies Pierre Strong and Kevin Harris since James White's retirement, working in with Damien Harris and Rhamondre Stevenson and the first-team offense. An extended absence for Montgomery would increase Stevenson's workload or open up snaps for Strong.
SOURCE: ESPN
Aug 27, 2022, 10:46 AM ET

For anyone thinking about Stevenson or Harris this could be a big injury…as Anarchy has pointed out, both Harris and Stevenson have been getting a decent amount of receiving reps in camp and if Montgomery is out that could potentially ensure that carries over to the regular season which could be a nice boost to their value…Montgomery has been one of the bright spots in camp and it seemed like he had locked down the James White role…on the flip side Strong has not looked good and while it seemed like he would be groomed to be the new White when he was drafted in the 4th round I hear some quality media members question whether he would even make the team if not for his draft status…the other Harris is more of a power back and has been very unimpressive…that leaves JJ Taylor and so far he has not looked like anything special when given the opportunity…if Montgomery is out long term I could actually see them bringing in someone else because the depth chart would be pretty thin after Harris and Stevenson unless they commit to Taylor which may be a reach…will be interesting to see how this plays out…as usual, nothing is ever easy when it comes to fantasy and this backfield but both these guys are very worthy of roster spots.

For anyone thinking about Stevenson or Harris this could be a big injury…as Anarchy has pointed out, both Harris and Stevenson have been getting a decent amount of receiving reps in camp and if Montgomery is out that could potentially ensure that carries over to the regular season which could be a nice boost to their value…Montgomery has been one of the bright spots in camp and it seemed like he had locked down the James White role…on the flip side Strong has not looked good and while it seemed like he would be groomed to be the new White when he was drafted in the 4th round I hear some quality media members question whether he would even make the team if not for his draft status…the other Harris is more of a power back and has been very unimpressive…that leaves JJ Taylor and so far he has not looked like anything special when given the opportunity…if Montgomery is out long term I could actually see them bringing in someone else because the depth chart would be pretty thin after Harris and Stevenson unless they commit to Taylor which may be a reach…will be interesting to see how this plays out…as usual, nothing is ever easy when it comes to fantasy and this backfield but both these guys are very worthy of roster spots.

Read an article in The Athletic where they parsed Bill's words and even before Ty went down he was singing a tune that spoke of leaving RS and DH in on third downs. He was talking about the improvement in pass pro and route running by the two when discussing leaving them in the game on third down. So there's that, too. Sounds like these guys are definitely viable fantasy options. If only we knew which one would get the bulk of the carries...

Read an article in The Athletic where they parsed Bill's words and even before Ty went down he was singing a tune that spoke of leaving RS and DH in on third downs. He was talking about the improvement in pass pro and route running by the two when discussing leaving them in the game on third down. So there's that, too. Sounds like these guys are definitely viable fantasy options. If only we knew which one would get the bulk of the carries...

Yup…all signs have pointed to them being more involved in the passing game no matter what but if Montgomery is out and they don’t add anyone else the piece of the pie could get a lot bigger.

I doubt there will be one guy that gets the bulk of the carries. At this point, I would guess DH and RS will alternate series.

I doubt there will be one guy that gets the bulk of the carries. At this point, I would guess DH and RS will alternate series.

Agreed...but if they are doing that and they are also getting receptions and there is no James White type of player around the opportunity for solid fantasy stats increases...no matter what when it comes to Patriot RBs it is usually not easy but right now there is a path for both of them if they are going to be involved in the passing game...if Montgomery is out for a long time I wonder if they keep L'il Jordan Humphrey around and carve out a role for him...the kid has had a real nice camp but is kind of position-less...I wonder if they would try to use him in an H-back type of way...with Thornton out and Montgomery potentially out for a while they may give him a shot...I think he has earned it as well.

Agreed...but if they are doing that and they are also getting receptions and there is no James White type of player around the opportunity for solid fantasy stats increases...no matter what when it comes to Patriot RBs it is usually not easy but right now there is a path for both of them if they are going to be involved in the passing game...if Montgomery is out for a long time I wonder if they keep L'il Jordan Humphrey around and carve out a role for him...the kid has had a real nice camp but is kind of position-less...I wonder if they would try to use him in an H-back type of way...with Thornton out and Montgomery potentially out for a while they may give him a shot...I think he has earned it as well.
It’s starting to look more and more that they are going to have to pass more and get away from the run for a number of reasons. They make have to go back to the 2 second patterns and 4 yard completions if (once?) the running game struggles and to keep Mac from getting killed. The line has been dinged up and haven’t been reliable so far.

Patriots HC Bill Belichick told reporters that RB Ty Montgomery (ankle) has a shot to play in Week 1 against the Dolphins.​

Belichick's optimism also extended to OT Isaiah Wynn (unknown), with the coach saying that all players except Tyquan Thornton (collarbone, IR) are a possibility for Week 1. It was also reported that Montgomery and Wynn will travel with the team to Miami. Montgomery's potential absence has put some wind in the sails of Rhamondre Stevenson's fantasy appeal. However, if Montgomery is able to play, Stevenson's pass-catching role should remain somewhat limited. While Montgomery himself would be an extremely shaky Week 1 play, Stevenson's fantasy managers should pay close attention to Montgomery's status.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Zack Cox on Twitter
Sep 6, 2022, 8:47 AM ET

Former Patriots RB coach Ivan Fears said he thinks Ty Montgomery has "a great chance to be the third-down back and take some of the load off Rhamondre [Stevenson]."​

"We need some help for Rhamondre, and I think Ty is looking really good right now. He’s healthy," Fears added. Fears, per ESPN's Mike Reiss, is still a "regular presence around the team" despite being retired, so he does put some stock into this. Montgomery, 30, has bounced around the league since his rookie contract expired without really claiming a major role. He also is injury-prone, having played just 21 games in the last three years. We would not be too worried about Stevenson's fantasy value, but Montgomery should be on the fantasy radar in OTAs and training camp.
May 21, 2023, 1:12 PM ET

Former Patriots RB coach Ivan Fears said he thinks Ty Montgomery has "a great chance to be the third-down back and take some of the load off Rhamondre [Stevenson]."​

"We need some help for Rhamondre, and I think Ty is looking really good right now. He’s healthy," Fears added. Fears, per ESPN's Mike Reiss, is still a "regular presence around the team" despite being retired, so he does put some stock into this. Montgomery, 30, has bounced around the league since his rookie contract expired without really claiming a major role. He also is injury-prone, having played just 21 games in the last three years. We would not be too worried about Stevenson's fantasy value, but Montgomery should be on the fantasy radar in OTAs and training camp.
OMG, the season can't get here soon enough. Anyone that rosters that guy, unless ridiculous roster sizes, I want them in my leagues. Well, all of them except those I commish, because he most likely will leave his team where I have to give it away for free the first two years when I have to replace him.

OMG, the season can't get here soon enough. Anyone that rosters that guy, unless ridiculous roster sizes, I want them in my leagues. Well, all of them except those I commish, because he most likely will leave his team where I have to give it away for free the first two years when I have to replace him.
Herpes seems easier to get rid of then this guy. Seriously I can't think of a player who seemed more finished so many times that keeps on re-emerging as he does.

Saying all that I don't dispute what Fears is saying, I bet he does look good. He has talent, but if a player ever deserved the injury prone label it's him. He's almost to rocked up, muscles to tight. And IIRC he has said before he has the sickle cell trait and that impacts his health and recovery. I'm surprised teams keep messing with him. He's like a Kadarius Toney type of injury history only his track record is like 10 seasons long vs Toney's 2.

All I know is Mike Reiss reported a few weeks ago that reducing Rhamondre's workload was a major goal. This team just does not believe in working a single RB that hard. I only have data back to 2015 and the only RB that got within 100 snaps of Rhamondre was James White, once, and he's a very different kind of RB.

So I think keeping tabs on Montgomery is relevant, as well as the other RB's, because someone is eating into his role. Has nothing to do with them not liking Rhamondre, just not the way that team likes to use their RB's.

All I know is Mike Reiss reported a few weeks ago that reducing Rhamondre's workload was a major goal. This team just does not believe in working a single RB that hard. I only have data back to 2015 and the only RB that got within 100 snaps of Rhamondre was James White, once, and he's a very different kind of RB.

So I think keeping tabs on Montgomery is relevant, as well as the other RB's, because someone is eating into his role. Has nothing to do with them not liking Rhamondre, just not the way that team likes to use their RB's.

I was very disappointed the Pats did not draft a RB around that 4th round area...right now their depth after Stevenson is a complete question mark...no one really knows what they have in Strong and Kevin Harris, James Robinson is another wild card and while they have been raving about Montgomery since he got to Foxboro he's another one you really don't know what to expect...as you said there is a RB or two on this roster who could be relevant...we just don't know who it will be...would be real nice for it to be Strong as they used a #4 on him last year and he is young.

Sure, NE has some depth questions at RB, but I still am not that concerned about it. Look back at the other guys from the past 15 or so years . . .

BJGE . . . had 26 carries the season before they installed him as a starter
Ridley . . . had 87 carries before they made him their heavy usage back
Vereen . . . had only 8 receptions in 2 seasons before becoming their 3rd down / receiving back
Woodhead . . . barely played for NYJ and came in and had almost 1,000 YFS as a street free agent
Lewis . . . hadn't played in 2 years when they gave him a prominent role in the backfield
White . . . had 5 receptions as a rookie
Michel . . . started as a rookie
DHarris . . . had 4 rushes as a rookie

Yeah, I get it. Most of that was with Brady and Fears as RB coach. But most of the NFL doesn't fret too much about the RB position.

Zack Cox @ZackCoxNESN
Worth noting: Ty Montgomery is working with the receivers today. He’s not wearing the padded helmet that RBs are required to wear early in camp.
This isn't all that unusual for NE. Back in the day, guys like White, Vereen, and Burkhead did this as well.

Here's to Pierre Strong taking those same reps sooner than later!

I am never one to look at one practice and conclude much of anything. But in the first practice of camp, Montgomery had the most catches and TDs in 7v7 and 11v11 live practice sessions (all taking place from the 10-yard line). From the sound of it, he was only working out of the backfield as a RB. It also sounds like he got a lot of work with all three QBs. Maybe that means something, maybe it doesn't. Many times in NE, if you play a lot in camp, that could mean you are on the roster bubble. Guys that don't play as much many times are considered safe and not needing the work (like Stevenson for example). Certainly something to monitor over the next month.

Users who are viewing this thread