What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Ty Montgomery, NE (2 Viewers)

Don't we all like his WR status?  Gives you the chance to start a RB at WR.
It's the other way around IMO. It depends on your roster but to me personally his value lies at RB since he doesn't run the ball much and mainly catches passes out of the backfield to move the chains like White / Riddick. I'm also a Lacy owner.

In half / full PPR it could put him in mid-low RB2 territory depending on performance / usage.

It's probably a long shot but I'm hoping Monty's usage in this role is effective tomorrow and McCarthy decides to feature it for the foreseeable future, or at least until Davis catches up or Starks / Lacy gets healthy and maybe even beyond.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much run will that practice squad rb get?
He's the X factor in all of this. This could easily turn into a 3 way RBBC or any of the three could run with the GB RB touches. It's a fluid situation IMO, but Jackson's highlights make me think he could be a decent fit in this offense and pee in both Knile and Ty owners' cheerios.

Ty Montgomery will be lining up all over the field. I have a feeling no one will be peeing in his Cheerios. They now lack depth at WR and have no legit TE. Ty has a chance to really expand his role on this team in a hurry, and could be the catalyst they need.

Ty Montgomery will be lining up all over the field. I have a feeling no one will be peeing in his Cheerios. They now lack depth at WR and have no legit TE. Ty has a chance to really expand his role on this team in a hurry, and could be the catalyst they need.
I picked up Montgomery on a team where I have Rodgers, so I hope you are spot on. I've been a fan of Ty since his Stanford days and drafted him his rookie year only to see him miscast as an outside WR then hurt his ankle severely, to where his first season became a waste. Your assessment is exactly how they should use him, but Cobb pretty much already occupies that particular role on this team and if the two new RBs take the RB touches Ty got last week, then he may go back to being everyone's jack of all trades backup and an unusable fantasy asset. He needs to get the RB and TE looks and he might. I'm holding on until we see how this shakes out, but I'm not counting him as a hatched egg just yet.

I picked up Montgomery on a team where I have Rodgers, so I hope you are spot on. I've been a fan of Ty since his Stanford days and drafted him his rookie year only to see him miscast as an outside WR then hurt his ankle severely, to where his first season became a waste. Your assessment is exactly how they should use him, but Cobb pretty much already occupies that particular role on this team and if the two new RBs take the RB touches Ty got last week, then he may go back to being everyone's jack of all trades backup and an unusable fantasy asset. He needs to get the RB and TE looks and he might. I'm holding on until we see how this shakes out, but I'm not counting him as a hatched egg just yet.
Did you watch the GB - DAL game?

GB lacks depth? no,  they dont. Adam's is hurt but they are still super deep at wr

Abbrederris hurt too and Cobb dinged.

The depth is in use with Davis and Montgomery..with some Janis sprinkled in.
I didn't know Abby was hurt. in that case, yes they lack some depth. but this is a team that actually has too many wrs. if only 1 was hurt (adams) gbs wr depth would be on par with the rest of the league. most people don't know that 

I didn't know Abby was hurt. in that case, yes they lack some depth. but this is a team that actually has too many wrs. if only 1 was hurt (adams) gbs wr depth would be on par with the rest of the league. most people don't know that 
Yes...as was mentioned in the Packers thread, they kept so many WRs which hurt theor rb depth because they wanted to keep Abby and Janis.  It just has bit them in the ### now.

ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky said WR Ty Montgomery "will get the majority of the running back reps" Thursday night against the Bears.
Montgomery was used heavily in the backfield even with Eddie Lacy (ankle) active last week. With Lacy out and newly-acquired Knile Davis working with the scout team as recently as Tuesday, Montgomery will get the vast majority of backfield work against the Bears. He is a great option in PPR leagues and should push for standard value as well.

Source: Mike Clay on Twitter 
Oct 20 - 9:54 A

ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky said WR Ty Montgomery "will get the majority of the running back reps" Thursday night against the Bears.
Montgomery was used heavily in the backfield even with Eddie Lacy (ankle) active last week. With Lacy out and newly-acquired Knile Davis working with the scout team as recently as Tuesday, Montgomery will get the vast majority of backfield work against the Bears. He is a great option in PPR leagues and should push for standard value as well.

Source: Mike Clay on Twitter 
Oct 20 - 9:54 A
Beat me to it! 

Oh yeah!!

Any idea if CBS will eventually show him eligible as an RB? Do they ever do this mid-season?

I really would like to use him as an RB.

Starting him with confidence over _____________________? 

This is a tough one. Especially with the WR designation. On a Thursday no less. Bears vs the run on the road anyone? 

I've been holding Alfred Morris on my roster all season just in case Zeke got hurt - dropped him for Montgomery - just not sure if I will use him this week.  Another lottery ticket at this point but I do think he will score at least 10 tonight in ppr.  I am just a little afraid of the short week and how bad Rodgers looks lately.

I've been holding Alfred Morris on my roster all season just in case Zeke got hurt - dropped him for Montgomery - just not sure if I will use him this week.  Another lottery ticket at this point but I do think he will score at least 10 tonight in ppr.  I am just a little afraid of the short week and how bad Rodgers looks lately.
None of the daily sites, pods etc I follow have mentioned a single GB player this week other than Nelson. Not sure if that's got more to do with the Thursday aspect or not. I tend to think ARod has a good game today vs CHI at home, but that's more based on feel than stats or otherwise (obviously). I happen to be in a position to not HAVE to play him, necessarily, however. 

Do we know that Adams is out tonight?  If so, I think Ty is a strong flex option for teams.  

Decimated receiving corps, and lots of injuries in the GB secondary.....could mean 50+ pass attempts for Rodgers and Hoyer shouldn't be far behind.  I got both Meredith and Ty on the wire this week, and am really considering playing them both.

This is a tough one. Especially with the WR designation. On a Thursday no less. Bears vs the run on the road anyone? 
Most of the sites say he's good value "especially in PPR leagues" and that puzzles me. I only picked him up in my standard scoring leagues, as all of them are must-start 3 or 4 WRs vs. 2 RBs and I think a WR playing RB has a lot more value in standard in those cases.

I've got him in over Shepard as my WR3 in one and over Torrey / Enunwa as a WR4 in another. Neither were particularly agonizing decisions for me.

Starting him with minimal confidence over gimpy Jordan Matthews and Stefon Diggs.  I hate Thursday games - I hate running the risk of staring at a goose egg for the next 2 days.

Okay I just want to chime in and give my insight.  I was in the car listening to Rob Demovsky on Sirius XM Fantasy Football Next Level Fantasy show.  Of course rotoworld will take quotes out of context.  What I heard Rob Demovsky say is that he doesn't really know since Knile was just signed and Don Jackson is still on the practice squad predicated by "I guess Ty Montgomery will get the majority of the RB reps".  He never said per sources.  There was a smirk in his voice and he sort of chuckled.  Now I don't know what this means for those who are Ty Montgomery owners but I just wanted to sprinkle in some actual facts knowing how Rotoworld's updates can sometimes be deceiving.

If you are a Sirius XM subscriber you can listen to this conversation again on Mike Clay's Next Level Fantasy show on the Fantasy Sports station.

I posted in another thread, but this a good place as well. Green Bay is the worst team for RB fantasy production this year. It's atrocious how little their RBs have produced. I know many are in a tough spot with byes and injuries and deep leagues, but you want to avoid GB RBs . 

Need 4 from Evans Hopkins Crabtree Baldwin Montgomery.

As unfathomable as it sounds, I'm debating Montgomery over Hopkins (@ DEN).

Hmm, just realized he's on the WW in my 16-team standard league. Given that my WR3 is Woods, who has missed practice the past two days, and my only other alternative would be Lockett, I'm giving him serious consideration. Only thing that sucks is I'd have to drop Lockett to get him, and I still think he eventually puts things together this year. Still, don't think I can turn down the guaranteed touches for my WR3.

I posted in another thread, but this a good place as well. Green Bay is the worst team for RB fantasy production this year. It's atrocious how little their RBs have produced. I know many are in a tough spot with byes and injuries and deep leagues, but you want to avoid GB RBs . 
I don't know man, the Packers saw this during the bye week. In the 3 games before their bye, they had 9 targets to the backfield. In the 2 games since, they have had 19 (since I believe 10 of Ty's 12 were from the backfield). That's a huge shift to try and get the RB involved. He might be a solid PPR play if nothing else. I'm having to decide between him, Gio and Ware in my flex. Not a happy camper

I don't know man, the Packers saw this during the bye week. In the 3 games before their bye, they had 9 targets to the backfield. In the 2 games since, they have had 19 (since I believe 10 of Ty's 12 were from the backfield). That's a huge shift to try and get the RB involved. He might be a solid PPR play if nothing else. I'm having to decide between him, Gio and Ware in my flex. Not a happy camper
Yeah, PPR might be solid play, that is possible that there's just a lot of short passes that make up for the lack of rushing yards/TD opps. 

I can't say I'm confident because noone knows how much he'll touch the ball, and my ff players generally suck on Thurs night

I pulled Mike Wallace for him in a ppr league where I'm awful at wr

Yeah, but he's sort of NOT an RB....

I think he's a lock for 5 or more catches tonight. He's definitely a good player tonight in PPR leagues.

Lacy on IR. Hype train is now going 88 mph
Although in a weird way it makes me wonder more about his LT value. You can't just stick a WR in your backfield for 10 games and expect it to work out. So after tonight, do they rush to get Davis/Jackson up to speed so they actually have a legit RB in the lineup?

I freely admit I have no basis to back any of this up. It just intuitively feels like a different situation when you're figuring out how to make it through the rest of the season as opposed to figuring out how to jury-rig things to get through the next couple games.

Although in a weird way it makes me wonder more about his LT value. You can't just stick a WR in your backfield for 10 games and expect it to work out. So after tonight, do they rush to get Davis/Jackson up to speed so they actually have a legit RB in the lineup?

I freely admit I have no basis to back any of this up. It just intuitively feels like a different situation when you're figuring out how to make it through the rest of the season as opposed to figuring out how to jury-rig things to get through the next couple games.

He's not your typical WR. Much more an RB than Cobb is.

None of the daily sites, pods etc I follow have mentioned a single GB player this week other than Nelson. Not sure if that's got more to do with the Thursday aspect or not. I tend to think ARod has a good game today vs CHI at home, but that's more based on feel than stats or otherwise (obviously). I happen to be in a position to not HAVE to play him, necessarily, however. 

the FBG pods mentioned TY in the recap, waiver wire and on the couch...

but admittedly, nobody seemed to question the severity of lacy's injury until late tuesday/early wednesday

I posted about this earlier, but Montgomery *has* played RB in the past, and Rodgers was quoted on the broadcast last week as saying it may be his best position.  He's built like a RB and has tremendous agility for the position, plus 4.5 speed at 220lbs+.  His combine performance, when viewed through a RB lens, is pretty darn similar to David Johnson's.

I'm working on owning him everywhere, but already own him in the majority of leagues.

He's not your typical WR. Much more an RB than Cobb is.
Yeah, just looked up his measurables and hadn't realized he was 6-2/216. For some reason I thought he was smaller. Will definitely be curious to see how he looks out there tonight.

From Rotoworld:

Packers promoted RB Don Jackson from the practice squad.
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Jackson will be the "main" back for Thursday's game against the Bears. That contradicts ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky, who said earlier Thursday that WR Ty Montgomery would get the "majority of the running back reps." It's clearly an unknowable situation, one Knile Davis and Randall Cobb will also factor into. We'd consider Montgomery the only safe play. Jackson should be treated as a volatile RB4 for only the most desperate of owners.

Clear as mud...

I'm rolling him out over Jordan Matthews considering Matthews potential injury status. Doesn't hurt that Matthews is going up against Minny's D.

Users who are viewing this thread