What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Draft Etiquette/Questions/Rules/Etc.: To PM or not PM...ETC.... (1 Viewer)

Stinkin Ref

IBL Representative
just wanted to start a thread as even though many of us have been doing these for awhile, questions still come up and sometimes clarification is needed.....

for instance.....Rudnicki posted that

"if using MFL there is no need to PM"

I have always assumed that to be untrue....and thought that PMing the next drafter is the only expectation that has to be done no matter whether we are using MFL at t he same time or not.....

thoughts?

I think PMing is the way to go but I like simple pleasures...like butter in my ###, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me. That's just something that I enjoy. Call me crazy, call me a pervert

I am cool with MFL being the end all be all......and no PM's required, and moving fully in that direction....

but just not sure that is where we are at.......in fact I think we are completely opposite of that still....(technically you don't have to use MFL)

we can get into a cluster #### if some are expecting PM's and some are thinking they don't have to PM.....

believe it has been said many times that this forum/draft thread is the "official" spot when it comes to picks and determining when someones clock starts/expires....

:shrug:

in my mind it is:

1. post draft pick here in draft thread (with note you are pming next)

2. send pm to next drafter

3. draft at MFL if you can

I think everybody should set up MFL to email you when you are on the clock...then people don't have to bother with the PM function.

The PM function is used for message board drafts. Doing it on MFL should make them redundant and unnecessary.

that being said, I'm not saying this is a solution if someone is posting a pick on the message board and then waiting for someone else to enter it at MFL. obviously that's a different scenario.

but if I make my pick at MFL, I'm assuming nothing else is needed from me as the person picking next should be responsible for setting up MFL with their info and notification preferences accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think everybody should set up MFL to email you when you are on the clock...then people don't have to bother with the PM function.

The PM function is used for message board drafts. Doing it on MFL should make them redundant and unnecessary.

that being said, I'm not saying this is a solution if someone is posting a pick on the message board and then waiting for someone else to enter it at MFL. obviously that's a different scenario.

but if I make my pick at MFL, I'm assuming nothing else is needed from me as the person picking next should be responsible for setting up MFL with their info and notification preferences accordingly.
thats kind of what I'm getting at.....I don't think we are at that point......I don't think it is a required expectation that people are setting up notifications, etc. at MFL.....so PMing is still the default/requirement......

until setting up notification through MFL is made a requirement of signing up for the leagues, PMing is still neccessary after every pick......

some people (like FUBAR I think) can't access MFL during the day.....so I don't think we can never "not use" the draft thread/pm.....

I do agree that it is great if everybody is on the same page and signed up at MFL......but we ain't there yet....

I think PMs are still the norm unless some tells you otherwise. I will PM the guys after me until they tell me to stop.

if someone on either side of me says they need a PM or can't access MFL, I'm happy to send one. But I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to set up MFL to notify them automatically when they are OTC.

It takes about 30 seconds to do so. Why not put in that time and save your fellow drafters the hassle of having to notify you manually?

if someone on either side of me says they need a PM or can't access MFL, I'm happy to send one. But I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to set up MFL to notify them automatically when they are OTC.

It takes about 30 seconds to do so. Why not put in that time and save your fellow drafters the hassle of having to notify you manually?
don't think anybody disagrees with you, but we just aren't there yet.....

and there are also the situations where the people around you may be cool with just going through MFL....but if they have predrafted their picks at MFL after yours, you should actually be PMing whoever is technically OTC after the predrafts......and that person might not be set up and is waiting for a PM.....as the last person to actually manually "pull the trigger" you really have an added responsibility if others after you have predrafted....

so really....the best "procedure" when you are OTC is:

1. make pick at MFL

2. return to MFL home page to see if there were any "pre draft" picks made after your pick....identify who is now OTC

3. go to draft thread at FBG

4. post your pick and any predraft picks after you and note that you are pming the person OTC

5. send that person a PM

this is what has to be done until we are told otherwise.......

if you are OTC and you can't do #1 above in the "procedure" which is:

1. make pick at MFL

then your "procedure" becomes

1. make pick in FBG draft thread and announce you can't at MFL

2. pm next drafter

some people (like FUBAR I think) can't access MFL during the day.....so I don't think we can never "not use" the draft thread/pm.....
I can't get on MFL but do get emails. So no need to PM me.

But, if I'm at work when it's my turn, I'll post here - presuming the board is updated fairly recently so i can figure out who is available.

I'll then PM the next person and ask that they make my pick on MFL.

bump for the fact that everybody seems to be doing their own thing and not following notification/draft procedures.....(including me)....so sometimes really hard to tell wtf is going on and when people are timing out, etc....

I may not post picks, but I at least go to the appropriate draft thread and announce who is otc and that they have been pm'd....so their clock has a start time....

moving forward we probably need to revisit the expectations for participating in these and clarify draft procedures

bump for the fact that everybody seems to be doing their own thing and not following notification/draft procedures.....(including me)....so sometimes really hard to tell wtf is going on and when people are timing out, etc....

I may not post picks, but I at least go to the appropriate draft thread and announce who is otc and that they have been pm'd....so their clock has a start time....

moving forward we probably need to revisit the expectations for participating in these and clarify draft procedures
We will do that and likely use the outline you posted above. Wasn't a problem this year until we ran into some miserably slow ssl4 drafters.

did you have to work hard to recruit those ssl4 drafters? maybe the lesson is if you dont have enough for the last league dont have a last league because you wind up recruiting people who dont really give a ####

did you have to work hard to recruit those ssl4 drafters? maybe the lesson is if you dont have enough for the last league dont have a last league because you wind up recruiting people who dont really give a ####
We will be contracting to three leagues next year. I sent out a pm to all 64 from last year plus numerous players from the past. Mentioned in several shark pool threads. We had about 8 new players sign up on their own accord that got promoted to league 3 to fill in spots.

Personally I think ff has been on the decline sense the labor dispute two years ago and the start of daily ff. I think that's one reason why J and DD are focusing more on daily ff. Based on the numbers in the subscribe contest, membership here is not growing as fast at a rate the media talks about ff. This seems to be one of the most active sights I visit.

We will be contracting to three leagues next year. I sent out a pm to all 64 from last year plus numerous players from the past. Mentioned in several shark pool threads. We had about 8 new players sign up on their own accord that got promoted to league 3 to fill in spots.

Personally I think ff has been on the decline sense the labor dispute two years ago and the start of daily ff. I think that's one reason why J and DD are focusing more on daily ff. Based on the numbers in the subscribe contest, membership here is not growing as fast at a rate the media talks about ff. This seems to be one of the most active sights I visit.
man daily FF sucks

1. make pick at MFL

2. return to MFL home page to see if there were any "pre draft" picks made after your pick....identify who is now OTC

4. post your pick and any predraft picks after you and note that you are pming the person OTC

5. send that person a PM

6. Predraft so you can skip 1-5

I think we need to set up a new protocol if we are going to do these on the board and MFL at the same time. I have run into it a couple of times in this draft, even though it was never a problem before or in the WSL drafts. Is it my fault for not setting up e-mail picks on MFL? Yes, however the protocol in the past has always been to post the pick here, send a PM and then post the pick on MFL if possible.

These have always been message board drafts first and foremost and if that is going to change fine, but everyone needs to be on the same page. Just my .02 and a BIG THANK YOU to BNB for putting these on every year, and for reminding us to sign up for them.

1. make pick at MFL

5. send that person a PM

I guess some people approach these differently....if everybody just slaps out predraft lists I think we all lose a little... so I am one of the worst pre drafters.....I often change my mind at the last minute....winning against some of the guys here in free league actually means a little more than some money leagues.....I feel I owe it to the other 15 guys to bring my A game with each pick....cranking out massive predraft lists defeats the purpose of why we even do these IMO....you can go crank out mock drafts on dozens of sites if all you want to do is throw a handful of darts at a board each pick and see how you end up....

We will do that and likely use the outline you posted above. Wasn't a problem this year until we ran into some miserably slow ssl4 drafters.
you know I'm a bnb fan for all you do....but it has been an issue in almost every one of these I have been in since drafting at mfl was introduced.....the time out clock starting time is the main issue since it encompasses navigating two sites since most people are now just making pick at mfl and using that as the predraft site instead of sending pm's to predraft.....

1. make pick at MFL

5. send that person a PM

I guess some people approach these differently....if everybody just slaps out predraft lists I think we all lose a little... so I am one of the worst pre drafters.....I often change my mind at the last minute....winning against some of the guys here in free league actually means a little more than some money leagues.....I feel I owe it to the other 15 guys to bring my A game with each pick....cranking out massive predraft lists defeats the purpose of why we even do these IMO....you can go crank out mock drafts on dozens of sites if all you want to do is throw a handful of darts at a board each pick and see how you end up....
Agreed. Which is why I rarely predraft, and preferably only 2-3 picks out or the last three picks. I draft relatively fast for an 8 hour clock because I check every 1-3 hours and update my thinking on my next pick.

I predraft all the time but that does not mean I am not following and wont change my pre-draft. I have many times as I am always following but pre-drafting speeds things up. That is why I like using MFL.

Even though I do suck with both drafts taking QB's on same bye week but I probably would have done that anyways as forget that kind of stuff in the end. :) . Now just need immunity

seems like a non issue to me as this is just a fun distraction in the offseason

in other words lighten up francis

This is one SSL4 FNG who wishes to be excluded from all the negative waves. respectfully :)

Users who are viewing this thread