What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Make fun of your wife's spending habits in here (1 Viewer)

SacramentoBob

Footballguy
A couple of months ago, Mrs. SB is getting packed for a work trip to Ohio. They were getting lots of snowfall during this time, so she was looking for her boots. She couldn't find them so, of course, I offered to help. After getting a "no, not those" after 4-5 tries, she comes into the room, opens up a box of brand new boots and says "they look like these". So my natural response was "why not just wear those then?"

"No, those are for next year."

:mellow:

A couple of months ago, Mrs. SB is getting packed for a work trip to Ohio. They were getting lots of snowfall during this time, so she was looking for her boots. She couldn't find them so, of course, I offered to help. After getting a "no, not those" after 4-5 tries, she comes into the room, opens up a box of brand new boots and says "they look like these". So my natural response was "why not just wear those then?"

Well, you have a few things going for you...

1. She works and brings in money to buy boots.

2. She tries to keep the boots nice by keeping them in boxes.

3. She is planning for future year boots so maybe she got them on sale?

Glass half full?

Other than the occasional drunk Amazon purchase I got nothing and even then she's learning from her mistakes. Super thrifty. I guess I just got lucky.

About the only thing my wife will splurge on is Me or my kid. Other than that, she's a penny pincher and I have to talk her into buying stuff for herself.

My wife in general is reasonable (as wifes go...). Her big vice is sales. You can take something and mark it up 100% then show it as 50% off, and she'll buy it. She uses "it was on sale" as an excuse to buy everything.

The only thing that really doesn't make sense is I'll go buy a $100 saw for a project around the house that I'm doing myself (and usually saving way over $100), and she'll say, "Don't you already have that saw? Why do you always buy tools?" But then she'll go get her nails done, and spend $60 every 3 weeks or so, and if I comment about, "Didn't you JUST get your nails done?" She looks at me like I have 3 heads.

Glass half full?
I mean, she's great. But the amount of shoes, purses and clothes she bought 2 years ago with the tags still on them are :lmao: .

She can't resist something that's on a great sale, even if we don't need it. I can't even count how many strands of Christmas lights we own, still in boxes, because she couldn't resist buying then at 75% off the day after Christmas.

That is but one example.

TenTimes said:
Anybody elses wife have 30 red lipsticks that are a little different?

Probably a few hundred bucks worth of different shades of red lipstick. :loco:
I don't think I've ever seen my wife wear lipstick. She doesn't use much makeup at all.

She does get manicures every week but the polish is at the nail place, not at home.

I wish my wife would spend a little more on herself. She makes a really good salary but doesn't like to shop. Well, maybe for gym clothes and sneakers.

My other favorite isn't a spending habit, but a shopping habit. I can't even go with her to the store if she's buying shampoo. She has to unscrew every bottle and smell them first. And every time I'll say "don't you know what shampoo you like by now?"

SacramentoBob said:

:shrug: I sort of do the same with running shoes. Except I know where they are.

I don't recall ever checking a CC or bank statement and seeing her overspending on anything. Never had a problem with a purchase. Unless we include the junk food she buys for our kids, but that's not a money issue.

My wife has a Friday in early December where she drinks at lunch with friends, then goes on an enormous Christmas shopping spree. For a few years, I tracked it here in real time, hitting refresh on my Bank of America online checking account every 15 minutes or so and posting the latest debits.

Looks like that thread is gone, though...

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
Just got a text asking when I would be home from a seminar this Saturday night. She was invited to a "shopping party" at Maurices that is "closed to the public" and wanted to go. This strikes me as both funny and a scam. Are they going to bring in new merchandise? Everything is already on sale, how will you know if you are really saving more? More likely its time for me to watch the kids since I have been gone for 24 hours, which is fine.

My wife has a Friday in early December where she drinks at lunch with friends, then goes on an enormous Christmas shopping spree. For a few years, I tracked it here in real time, hitting refresh on my Bank of America online checking account every 15 minutes or so and posting the latest debits.

I remember that thread!

My wife is quite thrifty with money. Doesn't like to spend much at all.

When my son moved to Nashville we were looking in thrift stores for a table/chairs for his apartment. She picks up this beer mug off the shelf he said he would like to have... .90 cents sticker. At the cashier, she asks the young lady if the thrift store offered a military discount... on .90 cents. True story.

Wife loves things being on sale. Especially clothes. She will come home and say "look how much I saved", and show me a receipt with the savings on the bottom. I always ask her how much money did you have to spend to "save" that much. I always get a :confused: look

TenTimes said:
Anybody elses wife have 30 red lipsticks that are a little different?

Probably a few hundred bucks worth of different shades of red lipstick. :loco:
Does she try them all out on you? Might be worth it then. :shrug:

When my son moved to Nashville we were looking in thrift stores for a table/chairs for his apartment. She picks up this beer mug off the shelf he said he would like to have... .90 cents sticker. At the cashier, she asks the young lady if the thrift store offered a military discount... on .90 cents. True story.
My wife and I were in Shanghai shopping at one of those bootleg underground markets. She was trying to buy some fake Pashmina scarves. She was negotiating with some little 13 year old girl who was running that shop to get a "volume discount" if she bought 10 of them. They were haggling over the US equivalent of $0.07, and my wife walked when the girl wouldn't give in. The girl started crying and came running after her when we left and agreed to the price.

My wife is in procurement for a living...she may spend money, but you can be #### sure she won't spend a dollar more than she has to.

My wife was whining last night about how our college-aged son doesn't have a summer job yet. She then picked up the newspaper and exclaimed "Look at all of these jobs!" this morning while I was eating my breakfast. I said "Maybe you can get one too" and it was on. Glad I'm at work.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife was whining last night about how our college-aged son doesn't have a summer job yet. She then picked up the newspaper and exclaimed "Look at all of these jobs!" this morning while I was eating my breakfast. I said "Maybe you can get one too" and it was on. Glad I'm at work.
yeah, not sure if that's the way to approach that subject.

My wife and I were in Shanghai shopping at one of those bootleg underground markets. She was trying to buy some fake Pashmina scarves. She was negotiating with some little 13 year old girl who was running that shop to get a "volume discount" if she bought 10 of them. They were haggling over the US equivalent of $0.07, and my wife walked when the girl wouldn't give in. The girl started crying and came running after her when we left and agreed to the price.

My wife is in procurement for a living...she may spend money, but you can be #### sure she won't spend a dollar more than she has to.
oh man.. that's harsh. My wife is the kind of negotiator you want to take to a car dealership. We bought her a minivan last fall and she was killing the guy with numbers. Went through two levels of managers who basically said "you are willing to walk for that $30 bucks?" She said well, yeah. They gave her what she wanted. I sat there knowing that if she wasn't there I would have paid probably 3k more on the car.

Nothing like getting that last seven cents from poor children in India for fake scarves.

Don't get me started.

Short background on our financial situation: until a couple of years ago we basically have spent our entire lives together living paycheck to paycheck. I finally make a decent living, but we're still digging out of the debt hole. She works as a private school kindergarten teacher, making less than half of what a union public school teacher makes, but she "wants to work in a private school so she can celebrate the holidays."

Her biggest vices are what I consider extravagences. A week can't go buy where I see her wearing something new. My favorite is when she says "it's not new, I bought it months ago but haven't worn it yet." Well, not only is it a stupid purchase because you haven't worn it in months, but we couldn't afford it then either.

She insists on going to a salon to get her hair colored for $100 instead of doing the home coloring deal. Yes, it looks better, but it doesn't mean we can afford it.

Lastly, and the one I can't understand the most, she insists on paying 40, 50, 60 bucks a pop to run 5ks, 10ks, and half marathons. You can run for free any day of the week I tell her but "it's not the same as running in a race with other people." Sure, for people who can afford it, not people who constantly whine at me that she doesn't have enough money. :rant:

Don't get me started.

Short background on our financial situation: until a couple of years ago we basically have spent our entire lives together living paycheck to paycheck. I finally make a decent living, but we're still digging out of the debt hole. She works as a private school kindergarten teacher, making less than half of what a union public school teacher makes, but she "wants to work in a private school so she can celebrate the holidays."

Her biggest vices are what I consider extravagences. A week can't go buy where I see her wearing something new. My favorite is when she says "it's not new, I bought it months ago but haven't worn it yet." Well, not only is it a stupid purchase because you haven't worn it in months, but we couldn't afford it then either.

She insists on going to a salon to get her hair colored for $100 instead of doing the home coloring deal. Yes, it looks better, but it doesn't mean we can afford it.

Lastly, and the one I can't understand the most, she insists on paying 40, 50, 60 bucks a pop to run 5ks, 10ks, and half marathons. You can run for free any day of the week I tell her but "it's not the same as running in a race with other people." Sure, for people who can afford it, not people who constantly whine at me that she doesn't have enough money. :rant:
that would make me insane. I am stressed with only 10 months of cash sitting in reserve.....

Nothing like getting that last seven cents from poor children in India for fake scarves.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

And how many years are (or were) you married?

(My wife is great about everything except shoes. So I really get this thread. It actually drives her crazy I have 10 year old shoes that I still wear).

SacramentoBob said:
eoMMan said:
SacramentoBob said:

Glass half full?
I mean, she's great. But the amount of shoes, purses and clothes she bought 2 years ago with the tags still on them are :lmao: .
I feel your pain

Don't get me started.

that would make me insane. I am stressed with only 10 months of cash sitting in reserve.....
She gets "x" to spend every month. I'm doing my best with the rest of everything. She is very unlike the "typical" woman in most other ways, so this is worth putting up with.

Purses is the problem here, I just don't get it. Is it not the same if a guy had like 30 belts? A couple basic colors should do it I would hope, but it's a never ending thing. If I have the misfortune of being with here while at the mall, I can count on 20 minutes in the purse section at each and every store. Of course the more expensive the more "I like this one the most, oh my I can't believe its the most expensive one?!? I must just have good taste." speeches.

Fat Nick said:
My wife in general is reasonable (as wifes go...). Her big vice is sales. You can take something and mark it up 100% then show it as 50% off, and she'll buy it. She uses "it was on sale" as an excuse to buy everything.

The only thing that really doesn't make sense is I'll go buy a $100 saw for a project around the house that I'm doing myself (and usually saving way over $100), and she'll say, "Don't you already have that saw? Why do you always buy tools?" But then she'll go get her nails done, and spend $60 every 3 weeks or so, and if I comment about, "Didn't you JUST get your nails done?" She looks at me like I have 3 heads.
That is my wife. I bought a winter coat for like $125

She is like I would NEVER spend so much on a coat blah blah. However she'll buy a 30 dollar coat and wear it for 1 or 2 years while I wear mine for as long as it lasts. 5-10 years. :loco:

Purses is the problem here, I just don't get it. Is it not the same if a guy had like 30 belts? A couple basic colors should do it I would hope, but it's a never ending thing. If I have the misfortune of being with here while at the mall, I can count on 20 minutes in the purse section at each and every store. Of course the more expensive the more "I like this one the most, oh my I can't believe its the most expensive one?!? I must just have good taste." speeches.
I bought a Coach bag for my wife one Christmas, paid around $400. She thought I was crazy and returned it. I think she paid $50 for the one she has and has had it for over 5 years.

My other favorite the mountain of returns she has and complains about.

I don't know how much #### she has that she buys, ends up not liking then has to return. This always leads to an "argument" when I buy something she deems wasteful and I say something like once you return all that crap we'll have plenty of money.

Just as an example.

Bought a new K cup machine. So of course now she's online and we have the carafe to make a full pot on weekends, the gadget that allows you to brew full pots.

Kids like tea and hot chocolate so now we have that.

Empty K cups (and filters) so she can make her own with ground coffee bought at Fairway.

Boxes and boxes of different flavors all were on sale (they were)

We must have 20 boxes of coffee in the pantry.
Biggest recent coffee controversy was when Keurig tried to stop people from using other cups by changing their new models.

I don't know how much #### she has that she buys, ends up not liking then has to return. This always leads to an "argument" when I buy something she deems wasteful and I say something like once you return all that crap we'll have plenty of money.
Women and returns. OMG. My wife will buy something in 3 sizes because she doesn't feel like trying it on. I'm still trying to bridge the time savings of "not wanting to try it on at the store" with having to drive 30 minutes back to the mall to return the ones you don't want. I'm convinced it's just a ploy to get back to the mall to shop more.

Women and returns. OMG. My wife will buy something in 3 sizes because she doesn't feel like trying it on. I'm still trying to bridge the time savings of "not wanting to try it on at the store" with having to drive 30 minutes back to the mall to return the ones you don't want. I'm convinced it's just a ploy to get back to the mall to shop more.
spoiler my wife actually tries them on at the store and has returns

"A man said his credit card was stolen but he decided not to report it because the thief was spending less than his wife did."

"This purse is too heavy to carry around, I need a smaller one"

next month:

"This purse is too small to hold all my stuff, I need a bigger one"

Wife: Stop spending so much money.

Me: Ugh, fine.

Wife: Hey, check out oldnavy.com, I'm $5 away from free shipping and $10 off our next purchase.

:loco:

No complaints here. Gets what she needs. Nothing more.
:hifive:

First wife had a major spending problem. Getting our credit card bills was torture.

Current wife spends next to nothing. I can give her cash money and in three weeks she'll have it in her wallet still. God I love her.

We go through a constant cycle of "the kids have too many toys!!" to "they're only little once (buy! Buy! Buy!)

My wife is actually very good with respect to spending but I do find it funny where she draws the line. New boots for $300: no problem! My husband just threw out a can of cooking spray with 3 molecules left in it: fish that #### out of the trash!

Wife loves things being on sale. Especially clothes. She will come home and say "look how much I saved", and show me a receipt with the savings on the bottom. I always ask her how much money did you have to spend to "save" that much. I always get a :confused: look
Obviously, it says so right the on the receipt :doh:

tonydead said:
Other than the occasional drunk Amazon purchase I got nothing and even then she's learning from her mistakes. Super thrifty. I guess I just got lucky.
Same here.

I remember that thread!
Great thread!

Also classic is the wife that went car shopping on a whim and spent $36,000 for a Toyota Corolla.
Jesus, when did Corolla's become some expensive?

Just got a text asking when I would be home from a seminar this Saturday night. She was invited to a "shopping party" at Maurices that is "closed to the public" and wanted to go. This strikes me as both funny and a scam. Are they going to bring in new merchandise? Everything is already on sale, how will you know if you are really saving more? More likely its time for me to watch the kids since I have been gone for 24 hours, which is fine.
That sounds strange.

I remember that thread!
Great thread!

Also classic is the wife that went car shopping on a whim and spent $36,000 for a Toyota Corolla.
Jesus, when did Corolla's become some expensive?
He has to mean an is 250...which is a corolla p much.

Users who are viewing this thread