Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
In The Zone

Another killing at the hands of the Police

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dallas-officer-enters-apartment-she-mistakes-her-own-fatally-shoots-n907411?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

Dallas officer enters apartment she mistakes for her own, fatally shoots man inside.   Come on man. 

Was she drunk?  Did she just move there?  I mean how....

And then her first thought is to shoot the guy who must have been just as confused as her.

WTF is wrong with people and who decides they should be a cop and carry a gun?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dallas-officer-enters-apartment-she-mistakes-her-own-fatally-shoots-n907411?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

Dallas officer enters apartment she mistakes for her own, fatally shoots man inside.   Come on man. 

Throw the book at her

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Donkey Derp said:

I know common sense can be difficult, but let's remind everyone why police are needed:

https://wreg.com/2018/09/06/cincinnati-police-respond-to-active-shooter-at-bank/

He says it "could have been much, much worse" if not for the immediate police response to end the threat.

 

I'm sure they were just there to show "the general disregard of the humanity police tend to have toward people they interact with."

What a riot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dallas-officer-enters-apartment-she-mistakes-her-own-fatally-shoots-n907411?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

Dallas officer enters apartment she mistakes for her own, fatally shoots man inside.   Come on man. 

Retuning home from her shift. Need more details. If her shift just ended, no way she had time to get drunk. Eventually we will get to the real story. Her story is like the ones you see on Live PD. 'Those drugs in my pants aren't mine. Um, these pants aren't even mine.' 'I don't know how they got on me'.

Absolutely no way she went in the wrong apartment. She went there for a reason. Or she's like just about everyone on Earth, circa 2018. A complete moron. The planet is getting dumber people.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Underachievers said:

#### happens.  Hope they go easy on her.

 

1 hour ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dallas-officer-enters-apartment-she-mistakes-her-own-fatally-shoots-n907411?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

Dallas officer enters apartment she mistakes for her own, fatally shoots man inside.   Come on man. 

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Associated Press‏Verified account @AP

FollowFollow @AP

More

BREAKING: Dallas police chief says her department is seeking a warrant for manslaughter in an officer's killing of a neighbor.

11:00 AM - 7 Sep 2018

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lod001 said:

Retuning home from her shift. Need more details. If her shift just ended, no way she had time to get drunk. Eventually we will get to the real story. Her story is like the ones you see on Live PD. 'Those drugs in my pants aren't mine. Um, these pants aren't even mine.' 'I don't know how they got on me'.

Absolutely no way she went in the wrong apartment. She went there for a reason. Or she's like just about everyone on Earth, circa 2018. A complete moron. The planet is getting dumber people.

 

I agree. No way this was just a simple mistake. I bet there's more to the story. 

And if it was a "mistake" she should not only still go to jail, there should be questions as to how someone so incompetent got hired.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Dedfin said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/officials-ignored-dying-mans-cries-for-help-as-latest-tragic-death-at-infamous-jail/

This wasn't the police actively killing/murdering citizens, but it does fit with the general disregard of the humanity SOME police tend to have toward people they interact with.

@SaintsInDome2006 Is this a big story in your neck of the woods, or nah?

Important edit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2018 at 4:46 PM, Gawain said:

Lousy situation. Clearly having a major mental health issue, but can't blame the police (or anyone) for shooting when a realistic handgun is pointed at them.

It is real messed up. They went their as a wellness check to see if she was ok. They were there for like over an hour and kill her? What the hell happened in there? People deserve answers and not just because she was somewhat famous. How did the situation escalate to checking to see if she is ok to killing her? Also maybe we shouldn't be sending cops on these kind of calls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lod001 said:

Retuning home from her shift. Need more details. If her shift just ended, no way she had time to get drunk. Eventually we will get to the real story. Her story is like the ones you see on Live PD. 'Those drugs in my pants aren't mine. Um, these pants aren't even mine.' 'I don't know how they got on me'.

Absolutely no way she went in the wrong apartment. She went there for a reason. Or she's like just about everyone on Earth, circa 2018. A complete moron. The planet is getting dumber people.

 

I think her being an officer is completley irreleveant to this story. She was off duty. She murdered someone and what she does for a living is irrelevent. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So he left his door to the apartment unlocked?  Did he let her in? Were they having an affair?

 

Can't wait to hear the details of this one. Something very very strange that is not being told.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

It is real messed up. They went their as a wellness check to see if she was ok. They were there for like over an hour and kill her? What the hell happened in there? People deserve answers and not just because she was somewhat famous. How did the situation escalate to checking to see if she is ok to killing her? Also maybe we shouldn't be sending cops on these kind of calls. 

Who exactly should be sent instead?  If she's crazy enough to wave a BB gun in front of a police officer, she's crazy enough to shoot a social worker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Donkey Derp said:

I know common sense can be difficult, but let's remind everyone why police are needed:

https://wreg.com/2018/09/06/cincinnati-police-respond-to-active-shooter-at-bank/

He says it "could have been much, much worse" if not for the immediate police response to end the threat.

 

They released the body cam. Sure looks like an amazing job by the cops to take him out so fast. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Donkey Derp said:

Who exactly should be sent instead?  If she's crazy enough to wave a BB gun in front of a police officer, she's crazy enough to shoot a social worker.

Social workers. Mental health professionals. EMS. Not armed officers. They went there because she had serious life threatening physically ailments and was experiencing seizures while there. She wasn’t being visited because she was violent or dangerous. Something happened over the 90 minutes the police and social worker were there that turned the situation violent. She was not crazy and as far as I know from her on Twitter was not mentally ill. Only physically.

Edited by Ilov80s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Social workers. Mental health professionals. EMS. Not armed officers. They went there because she had serious life threatening physically ailments and was experiencing seizures while there. She wasn’t being visited because she was violent or dangerous. Something happened over the 90 minutes the police and social worker were there that turned the situation violent. She was not crazy and as far as I know from her on Twitter was not mentally ill. Only physically.

Quote

Sheriff's officials said a county mental health clinician was with South Pasadena officers at the scene, and they spoke with Marquez "for over an hour and a half in an attempt to offer her medical care. She then armed herself with a handgun and pointed it at the officers, at which time an officer-involved shooting occurred."

Seems she had more than physical problems.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wrigley said:

Seems she had more than physical problems.

She was having a seizure. Ofcourse I don’t know her full history but she was part of a group of people on Twitter that I regularly interact with about movies. I knew she was basically terminally ill but had no signs of mental issues. Now anyone can become unstable at any time though. My entire point is police are a threatening presence and adding that presence to a person who is possibly unwell isn’t the way to handle a bad situation. If someone is having a seizure, why are the police needed? Again more info is needed but nothing that’s come out yet has shown me how we went from wellness check on person with a seizure to a person shot dead. 

I was at a graduation party when I saw the graduate’s cognitiely impaired uncle beaten up by the police because they thought he was a belligerent drunk trying to attack them. He just liked to hug people so I admit I’m a bit unbiased. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

She was having a seizure. Ofcourse I don’t know her full history but she was part of a group of people on Twitter that I regularly interact with about movies. I knew she was basically terminally ill but had no signs of mental issues. Now anyone can become unstable at any time though. My entire point is police are a threatening presence and adding that presence to a person who is possibly unwell isn’t the way to handle a bad situation. If someone is having a seizure, why are the police needed? Again more info is needed but nothing that’s come out yet has shown me how we went from wellness check on person with a seizure to a person shot dead. 

I was at a graduation party when I saw the graduate’s cognitiely impaired uncle beaten up by the police because they thought he was a belligerent drunk trying to attack them. He just liked to hug people so I admit I’m a bit unbiased. 

Wellness check with a mental health clinician...thats my point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wrigley said:

Wellness check with a mental health clinician...thats my point.

Lots of possibilities:

1. She had a history of run ins with cops and they knew they needed mental health.

2. They got there and she was erratic or having a seizure so they called the mental health professional in. 

3. After the seizure she was erratic and they called in.

4. It is protocol for them to bring a health professional on wellness checks.

5. The person that called in the mental health check reported behavior that made the police think they needed a mental health professional. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Lots of possibilities:

1. She had a history of run ins with cops and they knew they needed mental health.

2. They got there and she was erratic or having a seizure so they called the mental health professional in. 

3. After the seizure she was erratic and they called in.

4. It is protocol for them to bring a health professional on wellness checks.

5. The person that called in the mental health check reported behavior that made the police think they needed a mental health professional. 

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/09/04/officials-ask-public-not-to-make-judgments-about-er-vanessa-marquez-fatal-shooting.amp.html

Officers arrived and called both the paramedics and a mental health clinician.  Again, why would you say officers shouldn't be there?  They were the ones who recognized and called in the correct people to help her.

If somebody points a realistic gun at an innocent person or police officer in any state of mind, they are going to get shot.  Police officers can't risk their safety or the safety of the people in that apartment (landlord, clinician, EMS) for any reason.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Social workers. Mental health professionals. EMS. Not armed officers. They went there because she had serious life threatening physically ailments and was experiencing seizures while there. She wasn’t being visited because she was violent or dangerous. Something happened over the 90 minutes the police and social worker were there that turned the situation violent. She was not crazy and as far as I know from her on Twitter was not mentally ill. Only physically.

 Sorry, but who seriously thinks they can judge somebody from some social media interactions?  You have absolutely no clue about her state of mind.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Donkey Derp said:

 Sorry, but who seriously thinks they can judge somebody from some social media interactions?  You have absolutely no clue about her state of mind.  

Way to edit my post derp

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Donkey Derp said:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/09/04/officials-ask-public-not-to-make-judgments-about-er-vanessa-marquez-fatal-shooting.amp.html

Officers arrived and called both the paramedics and a mental health clinician.  Again, why would you say officers shouldn't be there?  They were the ones who recognized and called in the correct people to help her.

If somebody points a realistic gun at an innocent person or police officer in any state of mind, they are going to get shot.  Police officers can't risk their safety or the safety of the people in that apartment (landlord, clinician, EMS) for any reason.  

Maybe mental health and paramedics should have came first since it was a wellness check and not a crime. I am aware police typically come for a wellness check and I’m saying it shouldn’t be that way. It’s not what they are trained for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I ever said the officer that killed Vanessa should be tried or fired or was even wrong. I am just asking for more info because it seems like things have went really wrong when a wellness check on a person with a seizure results in the person having the seizure being shot dead by the responders. How can anyone argue either of those points? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Maybe mental health and paramedics should have came first since it was a wellness check and not a crime. I am aware police typically come for a wellness check and I’m saying it shouldn’t be that way. It’s not what they are trained for.

You can't be serious.  Do you not realize that nobody knows what is happening or happened to the person?  You can't send mental health workers and paramedics into a potentially dangerous situation and risk even more innocent lives.  

Hm, let's simply google "wellness check called" and see why your idea is terrible.

 https://abcnews.go.com/US/suspect-arrested-connection-playboy-models-murder/story?id=57487809

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/cops-grill-bronx-man-suspected-killing-new-girlfriend-article-1.3958272

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Donkey Derp said:

You can't be serious.  Do you not realize that nobody knows what is happening or happened to the person?  You can't send mental health workers and paramedics into a potentially dangerous situation and risk even more innocent lives.  

Hm, let's simply google "wellness check called" and see why your idea is terrible.

 https://abcnews.go.com/US/suspect-arrested-connection-playboy-models-murder/story?id=57487809

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/cops-grill-bronx-man-suspected-killing-new-girlfriend-article-1.3958272

Have a nice weekend 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

ttps://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dallas-officer-enters-apartment-she-mistakes-her-own-fatally-shoots-n907411?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

Dallas officer enters apartment she mistakes for her own, fatally shoots man inside.   Come on man. 

When I lived in Apartments they had these things called numbers on the doors.  Also they were a fixed distance from elevators or stairs and one got used to that distance.  Finally, they had these things called locks that had to be opened with keys.  Generally one did not enter them by mistake.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

When I lived in Apartments they had these things called numbers on the doors.  Also they were a fixed distance from elevators or stairs and one got used to that distance.  Finally, they had these things called locks that had to be opened with keys.  Generally one did not enter them by mistake.

A very drunk friend of mine couldn’t get his key to work when he got home late one night, so instead of calling a locksmith he broke into his home, and proceeded to pass out on the couch.   One problem, he was 3 houses down from his actual home.  

 

He woke up in the morning to two very pissed off and confused neighbors 

 

Lucky he’s not a cop 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

A very drunk friend of mine couldn’t get his key to work when he got home late one night, so instead of calling a locksmith he broke into his home, and proceeded to pass out on the couch.   One problem, he was 3 houses down from his actual home.  

 

He woke up in the morning to two very pissed off and confused neighbors 

 

Lucky he’s not a cop 

 

Yep, only those devil cops shoot people entering the wrong residence

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/15792680/new-orleans-pelicans-guard-bryce-dejean-jones-dies-gunshot-wound-abdomen

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Donkey Derp said:

And that's the way it should be.

 

 

If I was woken in the middle of the night to someone breaking into my house, you can be your ### I'd defend myself and my family.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Radio Free Homer said:

Can't think of a more perfect job for a psychopath, really.

Teacher

Preacher

Politician

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

What a ####ed up situation. 

Killed 4 prostitutes while off duty in a 12 day stretch, with a fifth that managed to escape. That sounds like Serial Killer 101.

Makes you wonder how many others there might be. Or, if these were the only ones, what exactly made him snap on Sep 3?

He was an 8 year Navy vet and 10 year Border Patrol agent so "technically" it belongs in this thread, but these murders did not have anything to do with his day job it appears (he picked up the prostitutes in his personal vehicle while off duty)

Did he have a history with prostitutes (without killing them) prior to this?

Did he commit any murders (or other crimes) while on duty?

 

Edited by NFL2DF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NFL2DF said:

Teacher

Preacher

Politician

None would be better than a border police IMO. More authority and more geographical range than local or sheriff departments, very low population areas, and any victims/witnesses/colleagues would be highly disincentivized to report any illegal activity. If this guy was smart, he could have gotten away with being a serial killer for decades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy is officer of the year, IMO. 

I'd have no issue had he shot the guy. 

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Caught-on-Camera-Florida-Man-Tossed-Over-Bridge-During-Fight-494379251.html

He witnesses a man throw another man off a bridge, then the suspect is hostile and doesn't comply. He turns his back to the cop and reaches into his waistband, before quickly throwing something off the bridge. 

At this juncture, you have a hostile suspect, just witnessed throwing someone over a bridge, turn his back and reach into his waistband. This is not how to act if you don't want to be shot by a cop. I'm actually shocked he didn't shoot the guy, good cop here, but this guy was almost begging to be shot. 

Edited by fantasycurse42
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2018 at 2:39 AM, NFL2DF said:

What a ####ed up situation. 

Killed 4 prostitutes while off duty in a 12 day stretch, with a fifth that managed to escape. That sounds like Serial Killer 101.

Makes you wonder how many others there might be. Or, if these were the only ones, what exactly made him snap on Sep 3?

He was an 8 year Navy vet and 10 year Border Patrol agent so "technically" it belongs in this thread, but these murders did not have anything to do with his day job it appears (he picked up the prostitutes in his personal vehicle while off duty)

Did he have a history with prostitutes (without killing them) prior to this?

Did he commit any murders (or other crimes) while on duty?

 

Really messed up and it is likely given what we know about these kinds of predators that there were several other victims. Maybe some murder, but most definitely some he raped/assaulted. Being an officer has nothing to do wtih it but it does make it easier to get away with such crimes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, fantasycurse42 said:

This guy is officer of the year, IMO. 

I'd have no issue had he shot the guy. 

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Caught-on-Camera-Florida-Man-Tossed-Over-Bridge-During-Fight-494379251.html

He witnesses a man throw another man off a bridge, then the suspect is hostile and doesn't comply. He turns his back to the cop and reaches into his waistband, before quickly throwing something off the bridge. 

At this juncture, you have a hostile suspect, just witnessed throwing someone over a bridge, turn his back and reach into his waistband. This is not how to act if you don't want to be shot by a cop. I'm actually shocked he didn't shoot the guy, good cop here, but this guy was almost begging to be shot. 

https://amp.desertsun.com/amp/635689001

2017 recipient says hold my beer

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:35 PM, urbanhack said:

Last year police killed 1,147 people. Police were charged with a crime in 14 cases. This is the only case so far where an officer has been convicted.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/suspect-18-accused-in-murder-of-georgia-police-officer-is-shot-killed-by-cops/ar-BBOJBiS?ocid=spartandhp

here's another one of your statistics.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2018 at 9:52 AM, fantasycurse42 said:

This guy is officer of the year, IMO. 

I'd have no issue had he shot the guy. 

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Caught-on-Camera-Florida-Man-Tossed-Over-Bridge-During-Fight-494379251.html

He witnesses a man throw another man off a bridge, then the suspect is hostile and doesn't comply. He turns his back to the cop and reaches into his waistband, before quickly throwing something off the bridge. 

At this juncture, you have a hostile suspect, just witnessed throwing someone over a bridge, turn his back and reach into his waistband. This is not how to act if you don't want to be shot by a cop. I'm actually shocked he didn't shoot the guy, good cop here, but this guy was almost begging to be shot. 

i would not be surprised if he did want the cops to kill him i think suicide by police officer is a real thing take that to the bank brohan 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.