Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
In The Zone

Another killing at the hands of the Police

1 hour ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Some things i am reading:

She also apparently on the stand said that she "intended to kill him".  That and the above likely did the trick.  I would say i agree.  A trained police officer should not have acted in this manner.  Killing should have been a last resort.  She could have shot him in the leg.  She could have done proper CPR or treated him.  She called some fellow officers instead to ask them to help. 

She wasn’t thinking straight as soon as she realized that she wasn’t in her apartment. 

I saw some texts they used to try to prove she is racist. One of them she specifically talks about not being racist just work differently. The other one she was joking around in my opinion. Weak sauce case, her lawyers must suck. 

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

She wasn’t thinking straight as soon as she realized that she wasn’t in her apartment. 

I saw some texts they used to try to prove she is racist. One of them she specifically talks about not being racist just work differently. The other one she was joking around in my opinion. Weak sauce case, her lawyers must suck. 

Well she made her decision to kill before entering the apt.  She did not have to enter.  She could have called for backup.  Could have left.  She decided she wanted to not only confront the person but kill them.  Bad decision.  One of many.  

i was a bit shocked she didn’t get manslaughter but the more i read and listen to the testimony the more i feel this was the right call.   Let’s see if they give her a light sentence or not.

Edited by PinkydaPimp
  • Like 1

Last week i had to park on the floor below my normal one because i was driving a rental car.  

Floors all look the same.  

Started making the walk to my apartment and got to the front door with keys out before realizing I was at wrong apartment.  I had forgotten to get on elevator and go up a floor.

She mixed up the apartments but she also likely could have easily ran out if she was alarmed.  But when you carry a gun many will rely on that instead of deescalating a situation.

If i could chose i’d give her 10 full years.  If she was not cop and just had a concealed carry i’d give her 25.  Difference being a cop in her position is required to carry a gun i assume.

• Like 1

This may be a case where I admit I was wrong.  After reading about the verdict this morning none of the articles are mentioning the neighbor testimony of hearing her bang on the door or the other examples I mentioned above.  Which is odd as other past articles included that.  The one weird thing is how did the door open if it was like a hotel door that locks automatically and is supposed to reverse on its hinges to specifically close and not allow this to happen?  Also the forensics said it appeared he was shot sitting on the couch perhaps moving to get up.

Such a weird story and I doubt we will ever know the truth.

49 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

This may be a case where I admit I was wrong.  After reading about the verdict this morning none of the articles are mentioning the neighbor testimony of hearing her bang on the door or the other examples I mentioned above.  Which is odd as other past articles included that.  The one weird thing is how did the door open if it was like a hotel door that locks automatically and is supposed to reverse on its hinges to specifically close and not allow this to happen?  Also the forensics said it appeared he was shot sitting on the couch perhaps moving to get up.

Lately almost every single cop shooting incident has bs eyewitness reports.

Take the ronald davis shooting, just look at some of the "witness" reports. 

4 hours ago, Daywalker said:

Last week i had to park on the floor below my normal one because i was driving a rental car.  

Floors all look the same.  

Started making the walk to my apartment and got to the front door with keys out before realizing I was at wrong apartment.  I had forgotten to get on elevator and go up a floor.

She mixed up the apartments but she also likely could have easily ran out if she was alarmed.  But when you carry a gun many will rely on that instead of deescalating a situation.

If i could chose i’d give her 10 full years.  If she was not cop and just had a concealed carry i’d give her 25.  Difference being a cop in her position is required to carry a gun i assume.

Yea here is where is struggle.  When you make the decision to carry a gun i think you also have to assume that there are many risks that come with it.  Things like someone stealing your gun or situations like this.  Now her being a cop i think the penalty should be MORE because she had extensive training to de-escalate.  She should be able to assess situations better than a normal person.  

it’s definitely a mistake anyone would make going to the wrong place. I’ve opened the wrong car door before.  But when you are carrying you need to really make sure that you only use it in the right situation.  If you don’t think you can don’t carry a gun.  

i think the victims family also could sue the police department IMO.  You could argue their training led to a culture and mindset that led to this incident occurring.  :shrug: 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Daywalker said:

I think the opposite should happen, that since she is a cop she should have a more severe penalty because she should have the training and experience to know better. I know cops are not actually well trained or hired for having a temperament suitable for policing, but we should assume that they are and any sort of accidental or negligent death on their part should always result in a crime. The have just grown accustomed to having what would get any non-cop many years of prison swept under the rug, and the real surprise is when they are punished at all. 

Edited by huthut

2 hours ago, pantherclub said:

As with most incidents.

When I hear lawyers make their cases both sides in reality do not really know what happened in many cases.

Were they able to determine what Jean was doing before Guyger killed him? Did she just run into the apartment blasting? Did she give him orders to get down? Did he comply?

I haven't seen that evidence.

1 hour ago, whoknew said:

Were they able to determine what Jean was doing before Guyger killed him? Did she just run into the apartment blasting? Did she give him orders to get down? Did he comply?

I have read somewhere that he said “hey,hey,hey” then apparently she fired. 

4 hours ago, whoknew said:

According to an expert testimony the bullet entry and path through Jean’s body was consistent with someone being shot while trying to stand up.

The prosecutors closing arguments stated that Jean was seated in the living room and was getting up from the couch when he was shot also there was an ironing board and a kitchen counter between the victim and the shooter

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 12:40 PM, Amused to Death said:

Obviously a terrible tragedy, but what I don't understand is the immediate impulse to pull out a gun and shoot. Admittedly I have not followed this case but if the man is sitting on his couch, I have to assume he was in a posture that posed no threat. The woman comes home, sees a man on her couch and the first instinct is to shoot before she can even realize its not her home?

I don't feel all that bad for her.

I haven't been following this but who walks in to someone else's place and doesn't pretty much instantly realize their mistake?  Did the dude have furniture and furnishings like hers?  :confused:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Yea here is where is struggle.  When you make the decision to carry a gun i think you also have to assume that there are many risks that come with it.  Things like someone stealing your gun or situations like this.  Now her being a cop i think the penalty should be MORE because she had extensive training to de-escalate.  She should be able to assess situations better than a normal person.  

it’s definitely a mistake anyone would make going to the wrong place. I’ve opened the wrong car door before.  But when you are carrying you need to really make sure that you only use it in the right situation.  If you don’t think you can don’t carry a gun.  

i think the victims family also could sue the police department IMO.  You could argue their training led to a culture and mindset that led to this incident occurring.  :shrug: 

I opened a car in a parking lot, got in, and was picking out my key to start it before I realized there was a baby seat in the back and butts in the ashtray (don’t smoke and no kids then.) I had hit the unlock button on my keys so I didn’t have to stick the key in the door, and it happened to be unlocked. Quite the “oh, ####” feeling

I think prison sentences in the US are generally far too long, so I'm ok with her getting only 10 years.

But I doubt she would have gotten that short of a sentence if she were not white and/or not a cop.

11 minutes ago, whoknew said:

I think prison sentences in the US are generally far too long, so I'm ok with her getting only 10 years.

But I doubt she would have gotten that short of a sentence if she were not white and/or not a cop.

Agree with everything you said.  I thought the sentence should have been 10-20 years.

Just now, Dickies said:

Agree with everything you said.  I thought the sentence should have been 10-20 years.

The jury that convicted her gets to decide the sentence not the judge.

17 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Agreed.  I’m still shocked she got murder so I’ll take it.  Thought it should be a touch longer but justice nevertheless.  Hopefully people learn from this.

Can she get good behavior and cut it down some? Maybe 10 is fair, don’t know. She might have time to get out and have some sort of career possibly. 

36 minutes ago, whoknew said:

She’s an idiot who made a tragic mistake and she should pay dearly for it. Good for this guy for recognizing that she’s still human.  Wish we could apply that to the tens of thousands of other incarcerated idiots in this country. 

• Like 1

I just read that she’s eligible for parole in 5 years. I’d say she will behave well in there and say the right things and be free in five years so this may not totally ruin her. 

22 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

I just read that she’s eligible for parole in 5 years. I’d say she will behave well in there and say the right things and be free in five years so this may not totally ruin her. 

Um,  I would say anyone going to prison for 5 years for murder is going to pretty much ruin them forever.

1 hour ago, pantherclub said:

Um,  I would say anyone going to prison for 5 years for murder is going to pretty much ruin them forever.

If she isnt a heartless ogre accidentally shooting and killing a man in his own apartment because she was booty distracted probably would ruin her too. 

Isn’t that convenient.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PinkydaPimp said:

oh boy.  this isnt going to end well.

The optics don’t look good.

Dallas PD might want to let an outside agency investigate this one. (assuming they had nothing to do with it) 

4 minutes ago, Yenrub said:

The optics don’t look good.

Dallas PD might want to let an outside agency investigate this one. (assuming they had nothing to do with it) 

They absolutely must.  Not that anything is gonna come from it. 

This looks so freaking bad.

*Not bothered by any of the guesses and suppositions about what went down. It looks blatant, so discussions will follow suit.

Reported that he was shot in the mouth and chest. 

not good. 

9 hours ago, Jobber said:

Isn’t that convenient.

Not really. Convenient would have been before the trial.

12 minutes ago, lod001 said:

I wouldn’t find it surprising if they intimidated prior. 

Either way someone other than this jurisdiction need to investigate before #### gets out of hand.  

The neighbor who took video of the Botham murder aftermath has been fired from her job and has been receiving death threats as well. 

4 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

The neighbor who took video of the Botham murder aftermath has been fired from her job and has been receiving death threats as well. 

Yea and that happened months ago.  I wouldn’t be shocked if he was getting intimidated also and was gonna go tell folks he was.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lod001 said:

Yeah i dont understand the conspiracy theory here. This guy wasnt a key witness. Hell you could argue he was a better witness for defense. He said he had on multiple occasions gone to wrong floor and even got so far as trying to get in and his key wasnt working and then he realized. 

Makes no sense for the cops to kill this guy. Especially now that the trial is over. 

22 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

Some info about Joshua Brown and what actually happened to him. Not the conspiracy crap.

So three guys with no known previous connection to Brown, drove 300 miles to rob him?

Black people can't even keep white cops from killing them in their own homes.

1 hour ago, EYLive said:

Black people can't even keep white cops from killing them in their own homes.

Yeah the white cop could  clearly see she was black in the dark

4 minutes ago, GROOT said:

Yeah the white cop could  clearly see she was black in the dark

Where did you see that it was dark in her house? I haven’t read that yet. 

On 10/11/2019 at 8:55 PM, Yenrub said:

So three guys with no known previous connection to Brown, drove 300 miles to rob him?

And obviously didn’t take the money or drugs with them.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GROOT said:

video was released. https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/10/13/fort-worth-police-officer-fatally-shoots-woman-her-home-while-checking-an-open-front-door/.

Cop  reacts to the scene. Gun seen in window. Officer reacts. Wait for more info.

Was the gun seen from the window? They didn’t say if the woman had the gun on her or if it was just in the house. They never identified themselves as officers. If some person was creeping around your house at night, you might get a gun to protect yourself. This is murder, straight up.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Was the gun seen from the window? They didn’t say if the woman had the gun on her or if it was just in the house. They never identified themselves as officers. If some person was creeping around your house at night, you might get a gun to protect yourself. This is murder, straight up.

Exactly.  There is a process that this officer needed to go through prior to just straight shooting someone.  Yes that process can happen fast.  But you cant just up and shoot first and ask questions later.  Sadly that is actually the culture amongst police and especially against people that skew lower on the socioeconimic scale.  It needs to stop.  Lock this ####er up.  Send a message.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Exactly.  There is a process that this officer needed to go through prior to just straight shooting someone.  Yes that process can happen fast.  But you cant just up and shoot first and ask questions later.  Sadly that is actually the culture amongst police and especially against people that skew lower on the socioeconimic scale.  It needs to stop.  Lock this ####er up.  Send a message.

Like why not knock on the front door in the first place and immediately ID yourself as police? Why are they are creeping around the home? It was a wellness check because a door was open, sloppy police work resulted in a person being killed for no reason.

• Like 1