Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
In The Zone

Another killing at the hands of the Police

Recommended Posts

Pretty large protest going on at the location of the crime. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

In before, "See?  He was a bad guy who had it coming."

If he wouldn't have done that...he would be alive....

Thats the other go to victim blaming.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Pretty large protest going on at the location of the crime. 

Wow, yeah. Not a lot of social distancing going on there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

In before, "See?  He was a bad guy who had it coming."

 

16 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

If he wouldn't have done that...he would be alive....

Thats the other go to victim blaming.

Good thing you guys got out in front of this. I don’t understand why we should wait to complain about things? Just complain right away in the event that they may happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Pretty large protest going on at the location of the crime. 

Yeah I live about a mile from where this occurred. Intense protest.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Pretty large protest going on at the location of the crime. 

Was it a violent protest? Because (according to twitter), the cops came out in riot gear and are now tear gassing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shocking that the police are treating these protesters differently then the armed militias that showed up because they had to wear a mask and couldn't get a haircut.

 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

Downtown Minny has some serious problems.  

This happened almost 4 miles from downtown

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no excuse for what those cops did. Truly heartbreaking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigbottom said:
1 hour ago, urbanhack said:

Yep. Looks just like the state capital in Michigan last week.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EY_aOLaWkAMgI72?format=jpg&name=900x900

Geez. That’s a horrible image. What a freaking cluster. 

Some video from a local station of when a group of cops jumped out of a white van in riot gear and started tossing tear gas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So obviously the answer is fire rubber bullets and tear gas at people gathered to protest. Why even have the police show up if they’re getting rocks thrown at them, let the people stand on the corner and light candles or whatever. No need for a police presence- send the fire dept to talk to them and do traffic control or something. Police not looking good in any of this imo, at least from the stuff I’m reading this morning. 
Link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, whoknew said:

Was it a violent protest? Because (according to twitter), the cops came out in riot gear and are now tear gassing. 

I wasn't there, so I cant say. This was on CNN:

After a crowd of protesters turned unruly, police sprayed tear gas to disperse the crowd, Minneapolis Police Department spokesperson John Elder told CNN.

The statement is from the police, so take it however you want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only saw a quick video clip but what I saw was disgusting. Not removing the knee in the back of his neck when he’s telling you he can’t breath? I didn’t see what happened before but have to think this cop goes to jail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, whoknew said:

Was it a violent protest? Because (according to twitter), the cops came out in riot gear and are now tear gassing. 

Along with videos of more peaceful protests, several videos posted on Twitter also show protesters throwing bricks and rocks at police cars, and smashing windows.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, the moops said:

This happened almost 4 miles from downtown

The whole area, my SIL lives there and won`t even go out with her friends after dark anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

The whole area, my SIL lives there and won`t even go out with her friends after dark anymore.

Is your SIL a black man?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, the moops said:

Is your SIL a black man?

Hispanic woman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

Hispanic woman

And how far does this "whole area" extend to? And why exactly doesn't she go out after dark? And why do you feel the need to come into a thread about the horrible death of a man at the knee of a police officer and start playing this game?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snorkelson said:

So obviously the answer is fire rubber bullets and tear gas at people gathered to protest. Why even have the police show up if they’re getting rocks thrown at them, let the people stand on the corner and light candles or whatever. No need for a police presence- send the fire dept to talk to them and do traffic control or something. Police not looking good in any of this imo, at least from the stuff I’m reading this morning. 
Link

Now - imagine that these were white, armed, protestors.

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Now - imagine that these were white, armed, protestors.

...and pointing assault rifles at federal agents.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, the moops said:

And how far does this "whole area" extend to? And why exactly doesn't she go out after dark? And why do you feel the need to come into a thread about the horrible death of a man at the knee of a police officer and start playing this game?

I agree 100% it is horrible.   Not taking anything away from that at all.  Should never happen.

So many dynamics of why this happens it would take pages. More crime brings more police, more police brings more interactions, more interactions leads to the possibility of more bad things happening during these interactions. It is a never ending cycle.

And yes the person responsible should be charged with murder.

And why you asked?  Simple as she is concerned for her safety.  Plain and simple.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooof - this is not a good look:

 

Bishop Talbert Swan @TalbertSwan

Here is Derek Chauvin, the racist cop who kept his knee on #GeorgeFloyd’s neck, cut off his air passage and murdered him, wearing a “Make Whites Great Again” hat, a clear sign that this piece of excrement should’ve been taken off the streets a long time ago.

 

 

Now, I can't verify that the picture is of Mr. Chauvin, but if it is, it raises disturbing questions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Along with videos of more peaceful protests, several videos posted on Twitter also show protesters throwing bricks and rocks at police cars, and smashing windows.

Yeah...the video posted a bit ago with the cops coming out of the van...those were not peaceful protestors throwing stuff at police cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Ooof - this is not a good look:

 

Bishop Talbert Swan @TalbertSwan

Here is Derek Chauvin, the racist cop who kept his knee on #GeorgeFloyd’s neck, cut off his air passage and murdered him, wearing a “Make Whites Great Again” hat, a clear sign that this piece of excrement should’ve been taken off the streets a long time ago.

 

 

Now, I can't verify that the picture is of Mr. Chauvin, but if it is, it raises disturbing questions.

Where was the picture taken from?  That should be able to verify if it is real or someone else.  If it is Chauvin it makes the situation worse, if it is not Chauvin it makes the situation worse.

Edited by Summer Wheat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

Where was the picture taken from?  That should be able to verify if it is real or someone else.  If it is Chauvin it makes the situation worse, if it is not Chauvin it makes the situation worse.

This one looks like him too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Along with videos of more peaceful protests, several videos posted on Twitter also show protesters throwing bricks and rocks at police cars, and smashing windows.

And to be clear -- smashing windows of police vehicles at the police precinct that's blocks away from where the killing happened. Not just like, random windows as they roved around.

I understand why they used the tear gas and stuff at that point, but I also am not at all angered by what those protesters did. I believe I've read that something like 80-90% of MPD cops live in the exurbs outside the city. Many of them operate as if they're "warriors" going in battle every day. I'm guessing a whole lot of them have the same (ignorant) beliefs about "the whole area" that @Summer Wheat has shared in this thread. Of course there are some bad incidents in the city (and downtown) but that's true of literally any city anywhere in the world. Asserting that it somehow isn't safe for women to be outside after dark in Minneapolis is just ridiculous.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, pollardsvision said:

I saw that one floating around reddit yesterday and I went out to get the original picture -- IMO I don't think that's him at the Trump rally. 

If that's him wearing that white supremacist hat (and I do think it looks a lot more like him)... wow. Just couldn't be a bigger poster child for what's wrong with policing and politics in our country right now.

Edited by mcintyre1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

And to be clear -- smashing windows of police vehicles at the police precinct that's blocks away from where the killing happened. Not just like, random windows as they roved around.

I understand why they used the tear gas and stuff at that point, but I also am not at all angered by what those protesters did. I believe I've read that something like 80-90% of MPD cops live in the exurbs outside the city. Many of them operate as if they're "warriors" going in battle every day. I'm guessing a whole lot of them have the same (ignorant) beliefs about "the whole area" that @Summer Wheat has shared in this thread. Of course there are some bad incidents in the city (and downtown) but that's true of literally any city anywhere in the world. Asserting that it somehow isn't safe for women to be outside after dark in Minneapolis is just ridiculous.

Why is crime rising in Minneapolis?

Written by John Phelan

 September 18, 2019

Yesterday, I wrote about the big surge in crime in downtown Minneapolis. As City Pages notes,

Robberies are up 53 percent this year in central downtown. In one 20-day stretch last month, 47 people were attacked. Much of that figure is attributable to pack hunters.

Police say it’s called “finessing.” Packs of teens begin their late-night hunts in downtown Minneapolis, looking for targets, people distracted by cell phones, prey that won’t fight back.

One person will strike up a conversation with a target. A moment later, the victim will be jumped, punched, and kicked into the pavement by the others.

It is the ultimate moron crime. In exchange for the risk of felony assault and robbery charges, all they’re usually walking away with is a cellphone and a wallet already emptied at a bar. The phones are later sold at automated kiosks like ECO ATM, the cops believe. Once the money is divvied, a major score might come to $50 each.

Yet security video suggests this is less about money than violence for violence’s sake. Footage shows teens taking turns jumping on an unconscious victim, riding a bike over a prone body. The weak here are enjoying their power over the helpless, emboldened by safety in numbers. 

Edited by Summer Wheat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:
33 minutes ago, pollardsvision said:

I saw that one floating around reddit yesterday and I went out to get the original picture -- IMO I don't think that's him at the Trump rally. 

If that's him wearing that white supremacist hat (and I do think it looks a lot more like him)... wow. Just couldn't be a bigger poster child for what's wrong with policing and politics in our country right now.

I'm pretty sure it isn't him. Looks to be a picture of some "famous" Internet troll who does bear a resemblance from that angle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Along with videos of more peaceful protests, several videos posted on Twitter also show protesters throwing bricks and rocks at police cars, and smashing windows.

4 cops did kill a guy and then the police department lied to cover it up. Breaking a few windows seems like a pretty tame response. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sinn Fein said:

Ooof - this is not a good look:

 

Bishop Talbert Swan @TalbertSwan

Here is Derek Chauvin, the racist cop who kept his knee on #GeorgeFloyd’s neck, cut off his air passage and murdered him, wearing a “Make Whites Great Again” hat, a clear sign that this piece of excrement should’ve been taken off the streets a long time ago.

Now, I can't verify that the picture is of Mr. Chauvin, but if it is, it raises disturbing questions.

This is a significant problem across the country and is still a wide spread issue. Just one example:

https://twitter.com/samswey/status/1158857296463556609?s=20

Quote

 

A reminder that Philadelphia Police Department was notified that 328 of their officers posted white supremacist and other hateful content online and decided to keep 96% of those officers on the force, where they continue to patrol communities of color with almost total immunity.

https://www.plainviewproject.org/data?city=philadelphia&status=current

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

4 cops did kill a guy and then the police department lied to cover it up. Breaking a few windows seems like a pretty tame response. 

And then they watched all the white people march and protest around the country with AK 47s with absolutely ZERO consequences.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

And then they watched all the white people march and protest around the country with AK 47s with absolutely ZERO consequences.  

They should only have black cops in black areas. Also less police presence and stop responding to non-violent crime.  In Mexico City police never respond to petty crimes.  Locals police their own areas.  Maybe that is a direction worth looking into.  Not in terms of using force but local peer pressure on petty criminals.

Less interaction, less confrontation, less incidents like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Summer Wheat said:

They should only have black cops in black areas. Also less police presence and stop responding to non-violent crime.  In Mexico City police never respond to petty crimes.  Locals police their own areas.  Maybe that is a direction worth looking into.  Not in terms of using force but local peer pressure on petty criminals.

Less interaction, less confrontation, less incidents like this.

What does that have to do with I wrote?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

And then they watched all the white people march and protest around the country with AK 47s with absolutely ZERO consequences.  

Here is some tape of police breaking up right wing protests (ignore filmed with a potato resolution): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLMgCxaR9UE

Also, I feel like people should not get carried away trying to match pictures to that guy. While it is possible they get it right, there are numerous instances of people finding the wrong people when internet detectiving. 

Edited by huthut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

They should only have black cops in black areas. Also less police presence and stop responding to non-violent crime.  In Mexico City police never respond to petty crimes.  Locals police their own areas.  Maybe that is a direction worth looking into.  Not in terms of using force but local peer pressure on petty criminals.

Less interaction, less confrontation, less incidents like this.

Glynn County, GA says no.

Edited by Amused to Death
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

And then they watched all the white people march and protest around the country with AK 47s with absolutely ZERO consequences.  

and the man in Georgia who was killed and the legal system tried to give the white killers a free pass. The paramedic and her bf who tried to defend themselves when police not in uniform burst in their apartment at midnight ended up with the paramedic dead and the boyfriend in jail. 

In their own area, Philando Castille got murdered in front of his gf and her 4 year old kid for no reason, the legal system found the cop not guilty. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

Why is crime rising in Minneapolis?

Written by John Phelan

 September 18, 2019

Yesterday, I wrote about the big surge in crime in downtown Minneapolis. As City Pages notes,

Robberies are up 53 percent this year in central downtown. In one 20-day stretch last month, 47 people were attacked. Much of that figure is attributable to pack hunters.

Police say it’s called “finessing.” Packs of teens begin their late-night hunts in downtown Minneapolis, looking for targets, people distracted by cell phones, prey that won’t fight back.

One person will strike up a conversation with a target. A moment later, the victim will be jumped, punched, and kicked into the pavement by the others.

It is the ultimate moron crime. In exchange for the risk of felony assault and robbery charges, all they’re usually walking away with is a cellphone and a wallet already emptied at a bar. The phones are later sold at automated kiosks like ECO ATM, the cops believe. Once the money is divvied, a major score might come to $50 each.

Yet security video suggests this is less about money than violence for violence’s sake. Footage shows teens taking turns jumping on an unconscious victim, riding a bike over a prone body. The weak here are enjoying their power over the helpless, emboldened by safety in numbers. 

I spend a lot of time in Minny for work.  It’s rare for me to be out late at client dinner, which means my evenings are often free after 7pm.  I use that opportunity to walk all over town - often in downtown, sometimes in South Minny.  I’ve literally never been attacked or harassed.  I’m on my cellphone or listening to podcasts a lot of the time.  Never felt unsafe.  Literally never.

While that’s just one person’s experience, I didn’t find the article you quoted to be particularly balanced or full of facts.  It’s mostly emotion driven hysterics.  I remember when “roving gangs of young black boys” were terrorizing Michigan Ave in Chicago.  During that time, I never saw anything on Michigan Ave or anywhere in downtown Chicago.  Which is where I live.

Anyway.  My point with the above is that I don’t think emotion driven, fact-less “journalism pieces” like what you shared help advance these conversations.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

What does that have to do with I wrote?

Well about what you wrote I read that Michigan's archaic laws allow people to protest with AK-47s or open carry.   Hard to believe but true that as bad as it looked to us it was not unlawful.   Hopefully that will change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

They should only have black cops in black areas. Also less police presence and stop responding to non-violent crime.  In Mexico City police never respond to petty crimes.  Locals police their own areas.  Maybe that is a direction worth looking into.  Not in terms of using force but local peer pressure on petty criminals.

Less interaction, less confrontation, less incidents like this.

That is part of the issue. So many of these incidents happen where it seems like the police are turning non-violent situations into violent situations. We really do need to re-imagine law enforcement in this country. Instead of so many armed police officers, there should be entirely separate agencies to handle non-violent issues in cities. A guy is drunk and selling bootleg crap. There is no need for armed cops to show up to handle this and use threats to potentially escalate the situation 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

I spend a lot of time in Minny for work.  It’s rare for me to be out late at client dinner, which means my evenings are often free after 7pm.  I use that opportunity to walk all over town - often in downtown, sometimes in South Minny.  I’ve literally never been attacked or harassed.  I’m on my cellphone or listening to podcasts a lot of the time.  Never felt unsafe.  Literally never.

While that’s just one person’s experience, I didn’t find the article you quoted to be particularly balanced or full of facts.  It’s mostly emotion driven hysterics.  I remember when “roving gangs of young black boys” were terrorizing Michigan Ave in Chicago.  During that time, I never saw anything on Michigan Ave or anywhere in downtown Chicago.  Which is where I live.

Anyway.  My point with the above is that I don’t think emotion driven, fact-less “journalism pieces” like what you shared help advance these conversations.

The crime data is out there to read.   I just stated it because of all the police-public inter- actions.

I lived in a high crime area for years, other than a couple of times that our vehicles were broken into, and once some tool stole my lawnmower nothing ever happened to me or my family.  That did not change the fact that is was a high crime area with many police interventions.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

And then they watched all the white people march and protest around the country with AK 47s with absolutely ZERO consequences.  

I know there were memes when those AK's were getting flashed but one of those black protestors even displays a handgun... they'd be shot on sight. Just holstering a weapon would be an act of war in the eyes of some cops. It's disgusting and I can't believe it happens in 2020. Deplorable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Doug B said:

Completely anecdotal. Completely:

When speaking in mixed company -- that is, a casual gathering of police and civilians -- many officers will freely admit that a person resisting arrest in any way rages them like little else. The greater the resistance, the greater the rage. However, no one will admit in mixed company that resistors deserve summary death.

What does slip out in mixed company, however, is the base dehumanization of "perps". Complete and utter dehumanization ... a giant mental wall is thrown right up. Cops vs. Perps. And that sometimes bleeds over to something like "If you're not a cop, your either a perp or a pre-perp -- you'll eventually do something wrong if you're not part of me and mine (fellow cop, friend, family), and I'll rightly make you pay if I catch wind of it"

Anyway, regarding "perps": There's an apparent ethic that if someone "breaks the law"**, ANYTHING that happens to them is their fault and they basically did it to themselves, and that any officers present are essentially acting as unfeeling/unthinking Instruments of Fate/God/Allah/etc.

And if these kinds of things slip out in mixed company ... I can't imagine what some cops will tell each other when it's only "us cops" listening.
 

** asterisked because "breaking the law" here has nothing to do with being arrested and convicted.

I guess this would help explain why we almost never hear any of the “good cops” speak out in public when the “bad cops” do something like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.