Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
In The Zone

Another killing at the hands of the Police

2 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

Ooof - this is not a good look:

Bishop Talbert Swan @TalbertSwan

Here is Derek Chauvin, the racist cop who kept his knee on #GeorgeFloyd’s neck, cut off his air passage and murdered him, wearing a “Make Whites Great Again” hat, a clear sign that this piece of excrement should’ve been taken off the streets a long time ago.

Now, I can't verify that the picture is of Mr. Chauvin, but if it is, it raises disturbing questions.

I saw that last night, but couldn't verify.  Would be careful with it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Summer Wheat said:

They should only have black cops in black areas. Also less police presence and stop responding to non-violent crime.  In Mexico City police never respond to petty crimes.  Locals police their own areas.  Maybe that is a direction worth looking into.  Not in terms of using force but local peer pressure on petty criminals.

Less interaction, less confrontation, less incidents like this.

Because white cops can't seem to control themselves?

I mean I think I see the point you're trying to make, but going back to segregation isn't going to help anything IMO.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Because white cops can't seem to control themselves?

I mean I think I see the point you're trying to make, but going back to segregation isn't going to help anything IMO.

When black cops beat or kill a black person there is very little coverage of it and little civil unrest if any.  Plus they may be better suited to handle these little disputes that often lead to violence than white cops.  Let whitey patrol their Lilly white suburbs.

3 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

Ooof - this is not a good look:

Bishop Talbert Swan @TalbertSwan

Here is Derek Chauvin, the racist cop who kept his knee on #GeorgeFloyd’s neck, cut off his air passage and murdered him, wearing a “Make Whites Great Again” hat, a clear sign that this piece of excrement should’ve been taken off the streets a long time ago.

Now, I can't verify that the picture is of Mr. Chauvin, but if it is, it raises disturbing questions.

Apparently his name is Jonathan Riches. He is a professional troll. Huffington did an article on him.

• Thanks 1

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez‏ @AOC 19m19 minutes ago

I’ll just say it: a lot of politicians are scared of the political power of the police, and that’s why changes to hold them accountable for flagrant killings don’t happen. That in itself is a scary problem.

We shouldn’t be intimidated out of holding people accountable for murder.

21 minutes ago, squistion said:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez‏ @AOC 19m19 minutes ago

I’ll just say it: a lot of politicians are scared of the political power of the police, and that’s why changes to hold them accountable for flagrant killings don’t happen. That in itself is a scary problem.

We shouldn’t be intimidated out of holding people accountable for murder.

Is she referring to unions? Lobbyist? or voting blocks?

Neither of the pictures going around social media are of the officer - the local paper debunked both. 

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey called for the arrest of the officer during a press conference that just ended. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EYLive said:

She doesn’t know.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EYLive said:

When the Republicans screwed education over in Wisconsin ten years ago, the Republicans could have made a much better argument by doing what they did to education to the police and fire. Wisconsin would have saved tons of money and leveled the public field for everyone instead of the discriminatory policy passed against education. Why did the Republicans not do this? They were scared of the police/fire unions, they were bought out by those lobbying for the police/fire, AND the Republicans didn't want to equal the field. Republicans are proud of discrimination when it suits their needs. Republicans are cowards.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, EYLive said:

She specifically said politicians.

5 hours ago, urbanhack said:

And then they watched all the white people march and protest around the country with AK 47s with absolutely ZERO consequences.  

Who is “they”? I don’t care who you are or what you are protesting, no police force is going to stand around while you break windows and damage police cars. It just ain’t gonna happen.

• Like 1

Just now, Cjw_55106 said:

Who is “they”? I don’t care who you are or what you are protesting, no police force is going to stand around while you break windows and damage police cars. It just ain’t gonna happen.

Although apparently police officers Will stand around while other officers needlessly kill a member of the community.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Baltimore after Freddy Gray has entered the thread. 

1 minute ago, dutch said:

Although apparently police officers Will stand around while other officers needlessly kill a member of the community.

Incorrect. As with any profession, a few morons do not make up the majority of the employees.

23 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

i'm talking about the peaceful protesters sitting on the ground holding signs getting hit with rubber bullets and pepper spray. K?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

i'm talking about the peaceful protesters sitting on the ground holding signs getting hit with rubber bullets and pepper spray. K?

Huh, I could have sworn you replied to a post about breaking windows. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Huh, I could have sworn you replied to a post about breaking windows. 

He did. Scroll up

Edited by BroncoFreak_2K3

43 minutes ago, squistion said:

She specifically said politicians.

She said, "a lot of politicians are scared of the political power of the police". I wondered what the police's political power was that she referred to.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Incorrect. As with any profession, a few morons do not make up the majority of the employees.

I mean, his statement is literally true as we have video evidence of it happening on Monday. I'd also remind you that the "few bad apples" thing you're going for is actually "a few bad apples spoil the bunch." It doesn't have to be a majority of the officers doing this kind of thing to completely erode the effectiveness of the police force as a whole, and to dramatically affect the lives of citizens on a wide scale. I don't think there's much argument to be made on whether the current culture of policing in America is an active problem for many that are under their purview -- it is. 

I mentioned upthread that I remembered hearing that most MPD cops don't live in the city -- it is actually even worse than I thought. According to 538 in an article on how police not living in their communities is a problem, Minneapolis was almost at the bottom of the list, with only 10% of all MPD officers residing in Minneapolis and only 5% of white officers residing in the city. 

I'd also point out that there are apparently enough "bad apples" in the MPD to keep re-electing Bob Kroll as their union leader. That's featured guest at a Trump rally Bob Kroll. Facebook tough guy Bob Kroll. Real life tough guy Bob Kroll ("Say that again. I dare you. I'm not wearing a body camera.") Advocate of "warrior training" Bob Kroll. That bunch sure feels pretty spoiled to me.

Edited by mcintyre1
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

getting hit with rubber bullets

Rubber bullets makes it sound to pleasant, non lethal bullets sounds more appropriate . Those things can do some damage

I had a hard time watching that video.  One of the worst things I have ever seen.  Shootings happen in an instant and mistakes can be made.

This was so prolonged and he had so much time to let up.  Why he had to kneel on the mans neck for that long while he was totally subdued is beyond reason.  Looked like he may have cut off the blood supply to his brain with his knee like MMA, then kept it on long after.    Why that little Asian cop did not do a dam thing stop it was puzzling.  At least say stop "That's enough lets just cuff him."  Both of them were so nonchalant

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

I had a hard time watching that video.  One of the worst things I have ever seen.  Shootings happen in an instant and mistakes can be made.

This was so prolonged and he had so much time to let up.  Why he had to kneel on the mans neck for that long while he was totally subdued is beyond reason.  Looked like he may have cut off the blood supply to his brain with his knee like MMA, then kept it on long after.    Why that little Asian cop did not do a dam thing stop it was puzzling.  At least say stop "That's enough lets just cuff him."  Both of them were so nonchalant

He was cuffed. There’s two other officers top of him as well (see video/screen caps from the other side of the street.) So already restrained and 700 pounds on top of him.

That was an execution.

Edited by BobbyLayne
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

Rubber bullets makes it sound to pleasant, non lethal bullets sounds more appropriate . Those things can do some damage

They didn’t shoot rubber bullets anyways. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

He was cuffed. There’s two other officers top of him as well (see video/screen caps from the other side of the street.) So already restrained and 700 pounds on top of him.

That was an execution.

How did he get from sitting on the sidewalk cuffed and calm to on the ground in that situation?  Does not make sense.  Why was he not just put into the back seat of the vehicle like a normal arrest?

10 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

How did he get from sitting on the sidewalk cuffed and calm to on the ground in that situation?  Does not make sense.  Why was he not just put into the back seat of the vehicle like a normal arrest?

The officers claim that he resisted being put into the back of the cop car, but we don't have video of that from what I've seen. Presumably they threw him to the ground when he "resisted" and now here we are. I'd also remind everyone that the reason the police were called out was a report of an "attempted forgery" when trying to buy food. Not exactly a high tension situation.

45 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

Found this just now -- video of George Floyd being removed from his car and handcuffed. Doesn't seem overly contentious at that point. Doesn't continue to the point of him being on the ground where he died. 

So is the cop car where he was down in the ground parked in front of the van in the video? I only ask because it doesn’t resemble the location from the original video we’ve all seen.

3 minutes ago, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

So is the cop car where he was down in the ground parked in front of the van in the video? I only ask because it doesn’t resemble the location from the original video we’ve all seen.

It looks like he was removed from his car here -- if you do a 180, he died just around the corner to the right at the intersection.

31 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

It looks like he was removed from his car here -- if you do a 180, he died just around the corner to the right at the intersection.

Would really like to see the body cam footage.   When one bystander said 'Why don`t you just put him in the back of the car?"  The little cop said "We tried to do that for 10 minutes"

15 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

Would really like to see the body cam footage.   When one bystander said 'Why don`t you just put him in the back of the car?"  The little cop said "We tried to do that for 10 minutes"

Saw this in an article I read today:

Charles McMillian, 60, of Minneapolis, said he saw police trying to get Floyd into the back of the squad car and heard Floyd tell them he was claustrophobic.

16 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

There's always more to the story.  But I can't see how any "more to the story" justifies the actions.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

https://imgur.com/a/9RfcEIQ

People camped outside the killer’s house.  He can’t even get food delivered

Can't you just link to the actual tweet and not just screenshot it and upload to imgur?

• Thanks 1

Rioters are looting a Target store.....no police in sight. 

He was murdered. Knee on the neck for 9 minutes while the guy was in handcuffs.

• Sad 1

There's a peaceful protest at the site of the crime. A violent one has moved from the prescient station to the Target. A third at the house of the DA and a final one at the house of the perpetrating officer. 

52 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Rioters are looting a Target store.....no police in sight. 

Why Target? Just because it's near the police station?

6 minutes ago, sports_fan said:

I guess so. Not sure. 

1 minute ago, Cjw_55106 said:
8 minutes ago, sports_fan said:

I guess so. Not sure. 

Yeah, there's not much else there -- the Target is directly diagonal from the 3rd Precinct building. I used to live near there and went to that Target sometimes.

3 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

Yeah, there's not much else there -- the Target is directly diagonal from the 3rd Precinct building. I used to live near there and went to that Target sometimes.

I lived a couple blocks southeast of that Target, then a few years later 9 blocks due south. 

And yes, not much else there. Rainbow closed a few years ago. The Cub Foods is pretty unspectacular. Good sushi at Midoris Floating World Cafe though. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sports_fan said:

Free stuff. 

4 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:
6 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:
13 minutes ago, sports_fan said:

I guess so. Not sure. 

Yeah, I've been there a number of times. There's a grocery store and a couple of fast food places in the area. I guess when protesters get bored this is what happens

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Not that it really matters exactly when he died, but it looks like this does confirm that he died while still on the ground (and there was no pulse when the paramedic checks him in the video).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've never killed a man, so I am just guessing here. 

But wouldn't you sort of know, when kneeling on top of someone, if they stop breathing? You hear gasps, and I am sure feel a struggle to break free, then silence. Wouldn't you feel the absence of his breathing at some point?