Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
In The Zone

Another killing at the hands of the Police

I hope the looting does not get bad then the whole story and message gets distorted.  The looters don`t give a dam about Mr. Floyd.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Seems clear that the police are basically going to let the looting happen. They keep showing all of the police in riot gear standing around the Precinct building and switching back to the Target with cars and people going in and out. I think that's the right call. Insurance exists for a reason, better to not escalate things right now IMO.

It does appear that they're firing tear gas at the Target entrance to try to disperse people from a good distance away, though. 

Edited by mcintyre1

45 minutes ago, sports_fan said:

Why Target? Just because it's near the police station?

It was closed and unstaffed today, so that probably has something to do with it too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

It was closed and unstaffed today, so that probably has something to do with it too. 

Ah, that makes sense

5 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Nothing like using someone's murder to grab a few TVs.   

The looting is bad.

What are your thoughts on the murder?

Posted (edited)

KSTP helicopter guy just said that the looting started after someone from the protester group tossed a firework at the police barricade, which caused the police to respond with 15-20 gas canisters, dispersing the crowd largely toward the Target.

Edited by mcintyre1

15 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

boo hoo? he should be sitting in a jail cell

I wondered about that tonight. Turns out the Minneapolis Mayor is as well.

Why is the killer not in jail?

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

I wondered about that tonight. Turns out the Minneapolis Mayor is as well.

Why is the killer not in jail?

This link had another video I hadn't seen yet (halfway down the page). It shows the first ~5 minutes of contact between Floyd and the first two officer (perhaps notably, not the two officers from the original video). Aside from squirming around and occasionally dropping to the ground, there isn't any real instance of "resisting arrest" in this video. It does not include the killer or his partner at all, though.

Are the police not doing anything about the riots? They've destroyed at least two businesses so far

20 minutes ago, the moops said:

The looting is bad.

What are your thoughts on the murder?

Might be the weirdest question ever asked on this board.  Murder is bad.  Murderers should be punished severely.  Does anyone disagree with that?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

KSTP helicopter guy just said that the looting started after someone from the protester group tossed a firework at the police barricade, which caused the police to respond with 15-20 gas canisters, dispersing the crowd largely toward the Target.

Oh phewww. I thought they were just trying to get free stuff. But they were just getting 48 inch LED tear gas deflectors. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Might be the weirdest question ever asked on this board.  Murder is bad.  Murderers should be punished severely.  Does anyone disagree with that?

You clearly found an opportunity to troll.  How long were you waiting?  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Floyd's not resisting. It's clearly murder. I cried watching the videos. Those cops should fry. The #### that killed him and the 3 watching. And they should not get their pensions! 

• Sad 1

Just now, Ramblin Wreck said:

:shrug:

I would think we all agree. And I apologize if I missed a post of yours. But when someone's first post about a horrific murder, is "yea, but look at those dudes grabbing free TV's" color me skeptical

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Mark Ames @MarkAmesExiled

American hacks spent the last few years blaming US racism & Black Lives Matter on devious Russians hellbent on subverting America's otherwise harmonious racial paradise. Not a single retraction, apology, career dent.

Just now, ren hoek said:

American hacks spent the last few years blaming US racism & Black Lives Matter on devious Russians hellbent on subverting America's otherwise harmonious racial paradise. Not a single retraction, apology, career dent.

Wait...what?

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

4 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

That's a mighty big straw man he's knocking down there.

3 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

:mellow:

Harmonious racial paradise? 

28 minutes ago, the moops said:

:shrug:

I would think we all agree. And I apologize if I missed a post of yours. But when someone's first post about a horrific murder, is "yea, but look at those dudes grabbing free TV's" color me skeptical

Now you're misrepresenting my post.   Nice work

22 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Wait...what?

It said "American hacks spent the last few years blaming US racism & Black Lives Matter on devious Russians hellbent on subverting America's otherwise harmonious racial paradise. Not a single retraction, apology, career dent."

What part was confusing for you?

54 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Now you're misrepresenting my post.   Nice work

You hopped into a thread talking about a horrific murder that was captured on video and your first post was being upset about people stealing stuff, while making no remark about the murder. A type of murder that we’ve seen happen countless times in this country. A type of murder that shows yet another abuse of power by the people who are supposed to protect us. A type of murder that these thugs would have gotten away with if it weren’t caught on camera by pedestrians.

The fact that you felt the need to comment about the looters but not mention a word about the murder is well... very weird and revealing to say the least.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bucsfan5493 said:

You hopped into a thread talking about a horrific murder that was captured on video and your first post was being upset about people stealing stuff, while making no remark about the murder. A type of murder that we’ve seen happen countless times in this country. A type of murder that shows yet another abuse of power by the people who are supposed to protect us. A type of murder that these thugs would have gotten away with if it weren’t caught on camera by pedestrians.

The fact that you felt the need to comment about the looters but not mention a word about the murder is well... very weird and revealing to say the least.

I usually take opposite sides from @Ramblin Wreck in most political discussions but I think you’re really being unfair to him here. First off he doesn’t need to condemn the murder. Many people have done that. If he had defended the murder that would be something else, but the fact that he chooses not to speak about it should not be a subject for criticism IMO. 
Second, what he wrote about the looting is a legitimate response. It’s true some people loot because they’re over emotional and angry, but others loot because they see a way to take advantage of a situation, which is the point RW made. Either way, looters are a blot on those who are trying to have peaceful protest. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I usually take opposite sides from @Ramblin Wreck in most political discussions but I think you’re really being unfair to him here. First off he doesn’t need to condemn the murder. Many people have done that. If he had defended the murder that would be something else, but the fact that he chooses not to speak about it should not be a subject for criticism IMO. 
Second, what he wrote about the looting is a legitimate response. It’s true some people loot because they’re over emotional and angry, but others loot because they see a way to take advantage of a situation, which is the point RW made. Either way, looters are a blot on those who are trying to have peaceful protest. 

ding ding ding, the cop was wrong, it was such a horrible thing he did, and he should be in jail, but that doesn't mean everyone should riot and beat up people.

Does anyone here actually think this violent rioting is justified?

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, mcintyre1 said:

The "elderly disabled woman" does also appear to have a knife. That's pretty wild.

I know. I don’t know what the hell was going on there. Not sure I want to. 

Edited by timschochet

7 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Sure, he doesn’t have to comment on the murder if he doesn’t want to. It just speaks volume not mentioning a word about the murder and going straight into complaining about the looting, which I agree is a problem and that some people are doing so just to take advantage of the situation.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, giantcookie said:

ding ding ding, the cop was wrong, it was such a horrible thing he did, and he should be in jail, but that doesn't mean everyone should riot and beat up people.

Does anyone here actually think this violent rioting is justified?

Of course not and I think the vast majority of people would agree that looting is totally unacceptable and not the correct way to go about protesting.

• Like 1

It sounds like it has continued to escalate tonight, I had stopped watching streams but there are several more fires since the Autozone was lit on fire. I'm also seeing claims in reddit comments that a pawn shop owner in the area shot and killed someone he said was looting. Rumors of possible National Guard deployment.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

The "elderly disabled woman" does also appear to have a knife. That's pretty wild.

Holy hell, i doubt she’s even strong enough to break somebody’s skin with that thing..that is if she could even catch you in her wheelchair...

Edited by Sam Quentin
  • Like 1

Just now, Sam Quentin said:

Holy hell, i doubt she’s even strong enough to break somebody’s skin with that thing..that is if she could even catch you in her wheelchair...

yep, disgusting.

Posted (edited)

Saw on Twitter that Mayor Frey has requested assistance from the state level for State Patrol and National Guard deployments.

"Yes, we’re reeling. We are reeling, and I understand the anger and pain, and we need the public’s help in keeping the peace tonight. We need that in order to get through this together.”

Frey said he has been in touch with the governor's office and has requested assistance from the state. "We've spoken several times. We're receiving assistance in the form of state patrol. I have requested the National Guard as well."

Edited by mcintyre1

Video of a white male with a full face rebreather mask, umbrella, hammer, and thick clothing walking away from having smashed the windows at the Autozone early in the evening. Walked away while avoiding speaking to any other protesters who attempted to engage him and threatened to fight them before disappearing. Stole nothing.

• Thinking 1

13 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

Video of a white male with a full face rebreather mask, umbrella, hammer, and thick clothing walking away from having smashed the windows at the Autozone early in the evening. Walked away while avoiding speaking to any other protesters who attempted to engage him and threatened to fight them before disappearing. Stole nothing.

https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/1265877207869583361

ANTIFA, which is largely white people including members of the media, is creating RIOTS to frame BLM.

Definitely a Rodney King 2.0 feeling to this -- some of the looters on one of the livestreams mentioned this as well. Hopefully it doesn't get as bad as those riots.

Confirmation of a homicide by a pawn shop owner against an alleged looter. There's video around showing sheriff deputies performing CPR, but he didn't survive.

Posted (edited)

National Guard is in the area on Unicorn Riot livestream. They're armed but just standing around behind barriers for now.

Edit: Seeing now that they were special State Patrol troopers who just look almost identical to National Guard.

Edited by mcintyre1

Seems like things are winding down for the night, thankfully.

4 hours ago, mcintyre1 said:

Great. Kamala Harris is an idiot. I don't really care. This really doesn't feel like the right time to start arguing about Russia, Ren.

Here’s another example: Tim Ryan blaming “the Russians” for invading social media to divide us.  I’ve got a bunch more.   They invested tons of political capital into this.  

It’s not a strawman- it’s a delusional belief system that many people adopted in the wake of 2016.  Jerry Nadler compared it to Pearl Harbor.  A lot of credulous people pushed this narrative, day in and day out, for years.  Wouldn’t be surprised if we get another 5,000 word piece about how ‘russians’ are ‘amplifying’ this.  

It’s important to push back against it for a couple of reasons.  One, because it is insulting to rob protesters of their agency by suggesting it is Russia, rather than the outrage of police murdering an innocent man, that is ‘sowing discord.’  

Two, because it is powerserving bull####.  They don’t want to deal with an engaged, critically thinking citizenry, so they came up with a childish fantasy for why we’re divided.  It’s important to note at times like this.  You don’t get to handwave it all away, like it didn’t set us back years from doing the hard introspection of addressing a broken & corrupt system.  

Fake Antifa used as red meat to keep right-wingers focused on anything but the actual problem.

He's kneeling OMG!

@nbcnews
Minneapolis police officer at the center of George Floyd's death had been with the department since 2001. During his career, he was the subject of a dozen police conduct complaints; he was never disciplined, records show.

• Sad 3