What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (9 Viewers)

George Floyd, fired officer overlapped security shifts at south Minneapolis club

A former club owner in south Minneapolis says the now-fired police officer and the black man who died in his custody this week both worked security for her club up to the end of last year.

George Floyd and now-former Officer Derek Chauvin both worked security at the El Nuevo Rodeo club on Lake Street, according to Maya Santamaria. Santamaria owned the building for nearly two decades, but sold the venue within the last few months. 

"Chauvin was our off-duty police for almost the entirety of the 17 years that we were open," Santamaria said. "They were working together at the same time, it's just that Chauvin worked outside and the security guards were inside." 

If Law & Order taught us anything, it's that you can pick up a perp and hold them for 48 hours while you figure out the charge. Do that and save the city for a night, Mike Freeman. 

If Law & Order taught us anything, it's that you can pick up a perp and hold them for 48 hours while you figure out the charge. Do that and save the city for a night, Mike Freeman. 
Just a point of clarification, in Minnesota it’s 36 hours. It could be a little longer depending on if it was a warrant or warrantless arrest. One starts the clock at the time of the arrest the other starts the day after.

So far things seem to be relatively calm on all of the livestreams and police scanners. There's still a crowd at the Midway Target with a bunch of police standing in front of it. Several businesses in that commercial zone were looted earlier in the day. NAPA Auto was on fire but I believe it was put out by firefighters. 

How hasn’t Chauvin been arrested yet. I figured it would’ve been a 3 or 4pm arrest today 
DA said they need to wait to see all the evidence that could possibly come out during trial before an arrest. That seems not to be the typical process for making an arrest. Funny the difference in evidence needed for the cops in Minnesota to make an arrest vs citizens making an arrest in Georgia. 

It really is unbelievable that the officer hasn't been arrested yet.  I'm only Minnesota-adjacent so my familiarity with MSP isn't the same as a lot of other folks in this thread, but it's a pretty progressive and friendly city.  I would not have expected a fiasco like this to occur there.  I'm not talking about the police killing, which I understand is a nationwide problem -- I mean the bungled aftermath.

It really is unbelievable that the officer hasn't been arrested yet.  I'm only Minnesota-adjacent so my familiarity with MSP isn't the same as a lot of other folks in this thread, but it's a pretty progressive and friendly city.  I would not have expected a fiasco like this to occur there.  I'm not talking about the police killing, which I understand is a nationwide problem -- I mean the bungled aftermath.
We talk a big game (and some people do try very hard) but we have a lot of failings. It doesn't help that we have a "weak mayor" system where power in the city is very diffused between the city council and other appointed officials etc. You'd think that might be a good thing, but in reality it means that everyone has their own little power structures and little ability to force change where needed. There's a lot of older white Democrats with power in the city who really have no interest in addressing things like police violence. Frankly the most powerful person re: policing in the MPD is probably the union head Bob Kroll.

Unicorn Riot is inside the 3rd Precinct building -- police have evacuated the area and ceding the building to the protesters. Unicorn Riot just showed a fire starting inside. Won't be shocked if the building burns down unless they have a really good sprinkler system.

I’m amazed that the cop hasn’t been arrested yet...but maybe I shouldn’t be. I keep thinking about that governor of Virginia- remember how much pressure he was under to resign last year? For about a week everybody in both parties said he had to resign. Everyone in the media said he had to go. But he refused and...nothing happened. It’s forgotten now. 
Maybe public pressure doesn’t mean what it used to? 

Unicorn Riot is inside the 3rd Precinct building -- police have evacuated the area and ceding the building to the protesters. Unicorn Riot just showed a fire starting inside. Won't be shocked if the building burns down unless they have a really good sprinkler system.
whats this Unicorn Riot? 

From another angle is looks like it’s not as bad.  More of a statement?  
The livestream that went inside showed they have pretty hardcore sprinklers, I think that'll prevent any extensive inside damage (aside from all the water). Seems like they're just burning stuff on the barricades out front now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread