Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
In The Zone

Another killing at the hands of the Police

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Stealthycat said:

I don't remember looting when black officer Mohamed Noor killed a white woman 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/07/us/minneapolis-police-sentencing-mohamed-noor.html

Looting isn't protesting - its opportunity for committing crimes and its allowed by police as long as its controlled chaos. i never understood burning your own community and hurting your own community in "protest" .... 

Why would black people loot when a white woman was killed? Their perspective is the scales of justice favor white people to begin with so there’s no reason to expect justice to go unserved. If recent history showed that the cops in Minnesota would be going to jail, there wouldn’t be rioting. 

7 hours ago, Stealthycat said:

the officer that did this will get convicted of murder, the 3 standing there will get sentenced too ... justice will see to that. 

We are just a couple years removed from the cop who murdered Philando Castile in front of his gf and her 4 year old being found not guilty in Minny so I dont think the protesters believe justice is actually coming. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

13 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Reporting 50 building were damaged or burned down last night. 

One was a 189 unit affordable housing development. That'll show 'em!

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

Why would black people loot when a white woman was killed? Their perspective is the scales of justice favor white people to begin with so there’s no reason to expect justice to to go unserved. If recent history showed that the cops in Minnesota would be going to jail, their wouldn’t be rioting. 

We are just a couple years removed from the cop who murdered Philando Castile in front of his gf and her 4 year old being found not guilty in Minny so I dont think the protesters believe justice is actually coming. 

Slow down. We don't need to rehash  but that's not what happened.

18 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Certainly but look how some of the emphasis and talk here has already changed slightly. I’m not saying it’s the actual reason- just being cynical about how these stores often play out.

The flip side here is if these criminals didnt go out and destroy the town and steal TVs and liquor the talk would still be solely about the murderer, which thus far has seen almost universal agreement he was in the wrong. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

That is another tragic consequence.  Right now Floyd is the last thing on anyone's mind.  Many people who are low income will be left homeless searching for shelter.   Whoever stays will have little or no shopping to get basic needs. Many more people will suffer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

You are one of my favorite posters here, but this is a terrible take. 

Looting and vandalism is terrible behavior. They burned a building ffs. 

Eta: they burned several buildings. 

I’m not talking about the morality of vandalism. I’m talking about people who were wrong showing humility now for how awful they were. Some NFL players, our heroes who we love to watch, tried to respectfully make some minor gestures about something that was really important to them. Heck, an issue what should be really important to everyone. How did many many many people respond? Anger, outrage, threatens to boycott, President called them SOBs. Those people who sided against the players and flamed on Kaepernick should probably sit down and reflect on that instead of tossing their 2 cents in again. 

• Love 2

4 minutes ago, Da Guru said:
9 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

That is another tragic consequence.  Right now Floyd is the last thing on anyone's mind.  Many people who are low income will be left homeless searching for shelter.   Whoever stays will have little or no shopping to get basic needs. Many more people will suffer.

*Under construction housing development. Also, "affordable housing" is a bit of a reach. At best it could be described as "mixed-income" which in this city means a small token number of "low income" units while they can charge $1600 a month for the nicer ones.

11 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Picking up my daughter & her fiance who live in the St Anthony area.

For the first time ever, I'm using my permit to carry. I know it's an overreaction, but better than an under reaction.

Watching these mobs, it’s reasonable. Friend went to USC during the LA riots and got knocked out minding his own business on the street. Never know what a mob will do, but it’s never good.

10 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Slow down. We don't need to rehash  but that's not what happened.

That’s how they see it. 

1 minute ago, mcintyre1 said:

*Under construction housing development. Also, "affordable housing" is a bit of a reach. At best it could be described as "mixed-income" which in this city means a small token number of "low income" units while they can charge $1600 a month for the nicer ones.

:shrug: That was the label the Strib put on them.

Just now, Ilov80s said:

That’s how they see it. 

Ah, I see how you meant that.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

I’m not talking about the morality of vandalism. I’m talking about people who were wrong showing humility now for how awful they were. Some NFL players, our heroes who we love to watch, tried to respectfully make some minor gestures about something that was really important to them. Heck, an issue what should be really important to everyone. How did many many many people respond? Anger, outrage, threatens to boycott, President called them SOBs. Those people who sided against the players and flamed on Kaepernick should probably sit down and reflect on that instead of tossing their 2 cents in again. 

I dont find it comparable. At all. Even if somebody said Kaepernick should be deported they're still allowed to view looting and arson as terrible behavior. 

Just now, Andy Dufresne said:

:shrug: That was the label the Strib put on them.

Yeah, I know -- not blaming you in particular, it just rubs me the wrong way when I keep seeing them referred to as that. It's really another symptom of problems in this city, we're getting loads of overpriced, badly made "luxury apartments" as developers try to cash in on the housing shortage in the city.

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

I feel like anyone who argued the NFL kneeling protests were wrong has no business commenting on the looting and vandalism. We as a country continue to not really address these problems so we are going to keep cycling through the same events over and over. 

The kneeling did not work because after 1 game the focus was Nation Anthem.  That is all I heard anyone talk about. Never heard people talking about why Kappy said he was kneeling.  And Kappy himself does not do live interviews. So he needed to get creative and find different ways to get the message out.  Do rallys at diferent places..the media would cover that, do rallys at churches, the media would cover that. Then he could control the forum and the focus.

2 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I dont find it comparable. At all. Even if somebody said Kaepernick should be deported they're still allowed to view looting and arson as terrible behavior. 

I’m not saying how they should feel about looting. I am saying it’s probably not the time to hear from them about it since they were the ones who resisted so loudly when the issue was being brought to the table under more peaceful circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I missed this part of the press conference, but this isn't a good thing in terms of trying to quiet things down heading into tonight:
NEW: Minnesota prosecutor says video showing George Floyd's death is "terrible" but says there's "other evidence that does not support a criminal charge"

Unbelievable if they somehow come out of this with no charges.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

I missed this part of the press conference, but this isn't a good thing in terms of trying to quiet things down heading into tonight:
NEW: Minnesota prosecutor says video showing George Floyd's death is "terrible" but says there's "other evidence that does not support a criminal charge"

I caught that and almost fell out of my chair. Freeman was a disaster (as per usual). 

• Like 1

George Floyd, fired officer overlapped security shifts at south Minneapolis club

A former club owner in south Minneapolis says the now-fired police officer and the black man who died in his custody this week both worked security for her club up to the end of last year.

George Floyd and now-former Officer Derek Chauvin both worked security at the El Nuevo Rodeo club on Lake Street, according to Maya Santamaria. Santamaria owned the building for nearly two decades, but sold the venue within the last few months. 

"Chauvin was our off-duty police for almost the entirety of the 17 years that we were open," Santamaria said. "They were working together at the same time, it's just that Chauvin worked outside and the security guards were inside." 

11 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

I wonder what that evidence is?

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I cant see what evidence could justify the cop leaving his knee on his neck minutes after he passes out. 

Edited by giantcookie

5 minutes ago, giantcookie said:
17 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I cant see what evidence could justify the cop leaving his knee on his neck minutes after he passes out. 

Sounds like they're trying.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

If Law & Order taught us anything, it's that you can pick up a perp and hold them for 48 hours while you figure out the charge. Do that and save the city for a night, Mike Freeman. 

1 minute ago, mcintyre1 said:

Clarifying statement from Mike Freeman about the evidence comments from the press conference (man what a ####show that was)

Also that smells like BS. I would assume most arrests happen before all the possible evidence has been reviewed. 

1 hour ago, Cjw_55106 said:

There is no reason.

only thing i can think of is they have some kind of expert explain that it would be impossible to kill someone where the guy had his knee, and reports showed he OD'd on something like fentanyl 

16 minutes ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

If Law & Order taught us anything, it's that you can pick up a perp and hold them for 48 hours while you figure out the charge. Do that and save the city for a night, Mike Freeman. 

Just a point of clarification, in Minnesota it’s 36 hours. It could be a little longer depending on if it was a warrant or warrantless arrest. One starts the clock at the time of the arrest the other starts the day after.

So far things seem to be relatively calm on all of the livestreams and police scanners. There's still a crowd at the Midway Target with a bunch of police standing in front of it. Several businesses in that commercial zone were looted earlier in the day. NAPA Auto was on fire but I believe it was put out by firefighters. 

20 minutes ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

Maybe Mike Freeman would rather let chaos go on for another night

1 hour ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Reporting 50 building were damaged or burned down last night. 

Has it stopped? I haven’t been paying attention today

1 minute ago, sports_fan said:

I haven’t watched any videos today. The looting has continued, but I’m not sure if that includes vandalism as well.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, sports_fan said:

It mostly moved to Midway, it seems. Most of that 50 count is "damaged" (smashed windows etc) vs. burned down.

• Thanks 1

How hasn’t Chauvin been arrested yet. I figured it would’ve been a 3 or 4pm arrest today 

• Sad 1

The only thing I've seen burn today is the NAPA store near the Midway Target.

19 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

How hasn’t Chauvin been arrested yet. I figured it would’ve been a 3 or 4pm arrest today 

DA said they need to wait to see all the evidence that could possibly come out during trial before an arrest. That seems not to be the typical process for making an arrest. Funny the difference in evidence needed for the cops in Minnesota to make an arrest vs citizens making an arrest in Georgia. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, mcintyre1 said:

This "rioting" is child's play if no charges are brought. Los Angeles all over again.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It really is unbelievable that the officer hasn't been arrested yet.  I'm only Minnesota-adjacent so my familiarity with MSP isn't the same as a lot of other folks in this thread, but it's a pretty progressive and friendly city.  I would not have expected a fiasco like this to occur there.  I'm not talking about the police killing, which I understand is a nationwide problem -- I mean the bungled aftermath.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

It really is unbelievable that the officer hasn't been arrested yet.  I'm only Minnesota-adjacent so my familiarity with MSP isn't the same as a lot of other folks in this thread, but it's a pretty progressive and friendly city.  I would not have expected a fiasco like this to occur there.  I'm not talking about the police killing, which I understand is a nationwide problem -- I mean the bungled aftermath.

We talk a big game (and some people do try very hard) but we have a lot of failings. It doesn't help that we have a "weak mayor" system where power in the city is very diffused between the city council and other appointed officials etc. You'd think that might be a good thing, but in reality it means that everyone has their own little power structures and little ability to force change where needed. There's a lot of older white Democrats with power in the city who really have no interest in addressing things like police violence. Frankly the most powerful person re: policing in the MPD is probably the union head Bob Kroll.

AMAZING end to the Freeman rally as the BLM speaker convinces the policemen on site to leave so the rally can end peacefully. Back at 2pm tomorrow. 

Unicorn Riot is inside the 3rd Precinct building -- police have evacuated the area and ceding the building to the protesters. Unicorn Riot just showed a fire starting inside. Won't be shocked if the building burns down unless they have a really good sprinkler system.

I’m amazed that the cop hasn’t been arrested yet...but maybe I shouldn’t be. I keep thinking about that governor of Virginia- remember how much pressure he was under to resign last year? For about a week everybody in both parties said he had to resign. Everyone in the media said he had to go. But he refused and...nothing happened. It’s forgotten now. 
Maybe public pressure doesn’t mean what it used to? 

4 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

Unicorn Riot is inside the 3rd Precinct building -- police have evacuated the area and ceding the building to the protesters. Unicorn Riot just showed a fire starting inside. Won't be shocked if the building burns down unless they have a really good sprinkler system.

whats this Unicorn Riot? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

whats this Unicorn Riot? 

Local independent media that's always there at these protests/actions -- they have facemasks/ear plugs etc and basically walk around with the public.

If you go back about 12 minutes from when I edited this, you'll see him follow the crowd into the precinct building.

Edited by mcintyre1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

wtf!

I hope it’s not true. That’s be insane

35 minutes ago, JbizzleMan said:

https://twitter.com/dyllyp/status/1266166402521522176?s=21

The dude in the gas mask that was messing with the auto zone was a cop.

Freaking insane if it’s true. 

I know these videos don’t capture everything and who knows the full accuracy of her reporting but these videos are insane

the cops do not look good in any of this 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1