What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (4 Viewers)

Twitter marked Trump's tweet containing the "when the looting starts, the shooting starts" line with the following blocker message:

This Tweet violated the Twitter Rules about glorifying violence. However, Twitter has determined that it may be in the public’s interest for the Tweet to remain accessible. Learn more
You can click to view the tweet anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 1:

The Governor of Michigan should give a little, and put out the fire. These are very good people, but they are angry. They want their lives back again, safely! See them, talk to them, make a deal.

May 28:

These THUGS are dishonoring the memory of George Floyd, and I won’t let that happen. Just spoke to Governor Tim Walz and told him that the Military is with him all the way. Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts. Thank you!
Man who shot and killed looter- arrested.

mcintyre1 said:
The "elderly disabled woman" does also appear to have a knife. That's pretty wild.
My thought too. She was trying to stop them blocking a door at Target with a little knife. Noble but dumb.

Twitter marked Trump's tweet containing the "when the looting starts, the shooting starts" line with the following blocker message:

You can click to view the tweet anyways.
IMO, I think Twitter is in the right, but man oh man is this going to escalate the battle between Twitter and Trump already ongoing. 

Honestly it would be great for everyone if our President just got off Twitter like he threatened. Stop the silliness and break the weird addictive feedback loop for Trump. It’s clearly not good for his own mental health and it’s clearly not good for the country.

Doesn’t seem to make sense that way. The looting started yesterday and we don’t seem to have any shootings. Just the way the it’s phrased, it really only works as a threat about what happens if he takes over control. Unfortunately that’s part of the problem with a leader who can’t clearly articulate anything. We never know for sure what he’s talking about. 
There's very little ambiguity in that tweet.

IMO, I think Twitter is in the right, but man oh man is this going to escalate the battle between Twitter and Trump already ongoing. 

Honestly it would be great for everyone if our President just got off Twitter like he threatened. Stop the silliness and break the weird addictive feedback loop for Trump. It’s clearly not good for his own mental health and it’s clearly not good for the country.
Ironically, I'd be a little afraid if Trump didn't have Twitter as an outlet.

With the  Chauvin/Floyd club security connection you would think they would’ve been familiar with each other
George Floyd and now-former Officer Derek Chauvin both worked security at the El Nuevo Rodeo club on Lake Street, according to Maya Santamaria. Santamaria owned the building for nearly two decades, but sold the venue within the last few months. 

"Chauvin was our off-duty police for almost the entirety of the 17 years that we were open," Santamaria said. "They were working together at the same time, it's just that Chauvin worked outside and the security guards were inside." 

Why is having “off duty police” at a strip club a thing? 

So cnn got arrested(the black team not the white team).  This is Bananas.  If they wanted a war... they are going to get it.  Just arrest the damn officer for god sakes!

George Floyd and now-former Officer Derek Chauvin both worked security at the El Nuevo Rodeo club on Lake Street, according to Maya Santamaria. Santamaria owned the building for nearly two decades, but sold the venue within the last few months. 

"Chauvin was our off-duty police for almost the entirety of the 17 years that we were open," Santamaria said. "They were working together at the same time, it's just that Chauvin worked outside and the security guards were inside." 

Why is having “off duty police” at a strip club a thing? 
Off duty cops take on security gigs outside their regular hours of work all the time. 

Maybe his treatment of Floyd stems from some sort of previous history between the two???

####### hell my city is completely destroyed. How do you even recover from this?
I’m not sure and it really sucks. Blame your pathetic mayor. This guy makes Lorri Lightfoot here in Chicago look strong and competent. No way would she (or any other leader almost) sit on their hands and let a police station get torched.  

I’m not sure and it really sucks. Blame your pathetic mayor. This guy makes Lorri Lightfoot here in Chicago look strong and competent. No way would she (or any other leader almost) sit on their hands and let a police station get torched.  
Or blame the systemic racism that ls been bred on that police force and legal system for a long long time.  Maybe blame that and call your politicians and tell them you don’t approve of their actions which began all of this.  

Really doubt that decision is left to the mayor.

Ok. What history would lead to a delay in the arrest of the officer? 
I have no idea.  I could throw out a whole bunch of ridiculous possibilities, but that will just make me sound like I am defending the cop and/or the police department which is not my intent.  Bottom line is I don't know anything beyond what the video shows.  

Wow just saw footage that they torched the 3rd precinct, have we ever seen this before? Not sure allowing that is the right thing to do. 

At the same time I have no problem with whatever that scumbag cop gets even if they bring back the death penalty. Make an example of this POS. 

What prior treatment would justify kneeling on a man's neck so he couldn't breathe for 9 minutes? While he was cuffed.
:shrug:

was there something illegal going on at the club. mMybe it’s involved with the counterfeit $ and tied to the club. Maybe it’s something else. It sure seems like he wanted Floyd dead

So cnn got arrested(the black team not the white team).  This is Bananas.  If they wanted a war... they are going to get it.  Just arrest the damn officer for god sakes!
I'm a little surprised that in recent years, that police departments around the country haven't established internal "arrest for show" procedures of some kind. If, internally, police (unions?) REALLY feel they should be above getting summarily arrested for anything done on duty ... it would seem that even the police unions would recognize the value of good optics. Even if they're fake optics.

Set up a room or two in each precinct or jailhouse or whatever that's extra nice and comfortable ... kind of like a decent hotel room. Just have the cop stay in there while arrested. At least while media scrutiny is at its highest. Can probably start shuttling the "arrested" cop around (e.g. to his/her home, other places) after some time has passed and the public & media have moved on.

I just watched this video. What the hell is going on in the Minnesota PD?
Sky News where I live in the UK have interrupted their Covid-19 coverage to show this video, there is widespread disbelief over here that something like this could happen in the USA, but then there has been disbelief about a lot of things that have happened over the last few years.

Was there something illegal going on at the club. Maybe it’s involved with the counterfeit $ and tied to the club. Maybe it’s something else. It sure seems like he wanted Floyd dead
That's diabolical on Chauvin's part ... and would not be the least bit surprising.

Authorities CAN'T let Chauvin walk without years of jail time IMHO. But they can (and might be right now) negotiate with Chauvin: "Roll over on Huge Fish, and after the media attention blows over you'll walk in a few years instead of 25 years. In witness protection from both Huge Fish's operation and from the public & media. Start all over again".

I'm a little surprised that in recent years, that police departments around the country haven't established internal "arrest for show" procedures of some kind. If, internally, police (unions?) REALLY feel they should be above getting summarily arrested for anything done on duty ... it would seem that even the police unions would recognize the value of good optics. Even if they're fake optics.

Set up a room or two in each precinct or jailhouse or whatever that's extra nice and comfortable ... kind of like a decent hotel room. Just have the cop stay in there while arrested. At least while media scrutiny is at its highest. Can probably start shuttling the "arrested" cop around (e.g. to his/her home, other places) after some time has passed and the public & media have moved on.
That would be an unfortunate stigma for someone to have to accept if it was indeed was a legitimate action leading to the situation.  

That would be an unfortunate stigma for someone to have to accept if it was indeed was a legitimate action leading to the situation.  
 Maybe. But at some point, the entire department gets backed into a corner by too heinous of an action, by too much video floating around, by too much incitement of the public. A one-size-fits-all stonewalling approach is no longer tenable.

(I might have missed some big ones ... but have any easily legitimate police actions led to mass protests and/or rioting?)

was there something illegal going on at the club. mMybe it’s involved with the counterfeit $ and tied to the club. Maybe it’s something else. It sure seems like he wanted Floyd dead
Right. So maybe he should be charged with Murder 1. But at worst he should be charged with murder 3 (as was discussed yesterday).

I just don't understand what they are waiting for. Its clear from the video and it would likely calm things a little.

####### hell my city is completely destroyed. How do you even recover from this?
If you research the impact riots of this size have on cities it is not pretty.  White flight occurs, poor conditions that black folk were already living in worsen, many stores and business never reopen in the area. Rebuilding is very slow as nobody wants to invest. It can take decades as whatever is burned will eventually get torn down and sit on vacant land that gets overgrown.  It is just a tragic situation.

When I first got out of college I drove down a once vibrant Grand River street in Detroit every day.  The area the Detroit riots started looked like a third world country for decades and was desolate.   

Last edited by a moderator:
 Maybe. But at some point, the entire department gets backed into a corner by too heinous of an action, by too much video floating around, by too much incitement of the public. A one-size-fits-all stonewalling approach is no longer tenable.

(I might have missed some big ones ... but have any easily legitimate police actions led to mass protests and/or rioting?)
Aside from being just a terrible idea - it also ignores that the problem in this case (and in most similar cases) is not Officer Chauvin - it is rules, policies, procedures, training, etc. in place within the police department.  When you start to scapegoat an individual for systemic problems - you allow those problems to continue.

The video of the cop driving by protestors who appear to not be doing anything illegal and spraying pepper spray out the window as they drive by is crazy.

If any of those officers involved with the murder took the Warrior Training provided by the police union, the family should sue the garbage out of the union. 

It’s pretty clear that we desperately need to de-militarize our police. They’re being trained to view everyone as a lethal threat and protect themselves over protecting society. That’s not acceptable for our police. The idea of police being heroes is that they are to put their lives on the line to protect and serve society. If they’re out there shooting first asking questions later and then lying and covering things up, they’re no longer heroes, they are jackbooted thugs.

Right. So maybe he should be charged with Murder 1. But at worst he should be charged with murder 3 (as was discussed yesterday).

I just don't understand what they are waiting for. Its clear from the video and it would likely calm things a little.
What I think Hell Toupee is getting at is that Chauvin's lawyer is potentially using huge-case-cracking information as leverage to delay what would be an insta-arrest for a civilian. It's likely an easier client-defense maneuver to execute than it might otherwise be because I believe there is something of an ethic against arresting a fellow officer in good standing within the precinct and/or union.

Aside from being just a terrible idea - it also ignores that the problem in this case (and in most similar cases) is not Officer Chauvin - it is rules, policies, procedures, training, etc. in place within the police department.  When you start to scapegoat an individual for systemic problems - you allow those problems to continue.
I would think that in order to make at least the PR portion of the job easier, it would make sense to change some policies, like not kneeling on the neck of someone who is in cuffs.

I'm extremely pessimistic about things changing -- I think our descendants in 500 years will be acting pretty much the same way as a society, just with different social divisions.

I would think that in order to make at least the PR portion of the job easier, it would make sense to change some policies, like not kneeling on the neck of someone who is in cuffs.
Right - but, that directive should be going out to every police department across the US right now - even if some of those departments already ban the practice.

What I think Hell Toupee is getting at is that Chauvin's lawyer is potentially using huge-case-cracking information as leverage to delay what would be an insta-arrest for a civilian. It's likely an easier client-defense maneuver to execute than it might otherwise be because I believe there is something of an ethic against arresting a fellow officer in good standing within the precinct and/or union.
He's not a fellow officer in good standing. He's been fired.

And regardless of what Chauvin's lawyer is doing, isn't there someone smart enough in Minnesota to realize this arrest needs to happen asap?

Besides, what I was actually getting at is that Chauvin has got to get arrested at some point, some way some how. IMHO, that's not the same as scapegoating him for all the systemic problems. Arresting Chauvin for the crime he commited is not nearly the same as saying "See -- no more racism in the department! All better now!"

Chauvin needs to be arrested because he murdered a man. That's the fundamental layer.

Another layer: the fact that executing the arrest in a "photogenic", PR-savvy way would have helped calm the public's nerves does not mean that the arrest itself is the wrong thing to do fundamentally.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/minneapolis-third-precinct-police-station-set-on-fire-after-rioters-break-in

You get arrested and ticketed for not wearing a face mask but looters are allowed to burn a police station? 

like I said, this was allowed by city/state and police - they allowed the burning of a police station. Had the police and/or national guard took a stand and stopped the violence (using violence) this wouldn't have happened

I've seen this pattern for 30 years now - when a "protest" happens (and not the good kind of protest), allow the people "protesting" to destroy and loot and vandalize ... and in a few days they'll have it out of their systems. 

Absolutely NOTHING positive comes from riots and looting and destroying .......... nothing. When this happens it needs stopped. 

Wow - MN State Police tweeted the following - 

"In the course of clearing the streets and restoring order at Lake Street and Snelling Avenue, four people were arrested by State Patrol troopers, including three members of a CNN crew. The three were released once they were confirmed to be members of the media."

--

That's just a flat out lie. The crew identified themselves immediately. 

My goodness.

Users who are viewing this thread