Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
In The Zone

Another killing at the hands of the Police

Tyranny.........

well it’s been a good thread

2 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

why? it wasn't the "Govt" or "tyranny" that resulted in this man's death

it was an officer using excessive force

but hey, maybe you're right ... maybe we should accept destroying million of dollars worth of property and completely ignore the looting/rioting/destruction

BTW how many people died in Minneapolis last few days ... and nobody cared about them ? why ?

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/05/29/woman-found-dead-inside-car-in-north-minneapolis-amid-2nd-night-of-looting-fires/

i'm bowing out of this one - ya'll want to justify the rioting and looting, vandalizing etc instead of just calling it what it is - and what it is has noting to do with protesting

I know it

you know it

we all know it

ya'll have a great weekend

Ok this one confuses me. Umm...what? A cop using excessive force isn't the tyranny of gov't? Seems like that's kind of the definition.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

If you use the quote function, quote the whole sentence. Don't change words or leave out the rest of a sentence or thought. 

Joe I like to leave in the quote exactly what im responding to. Sorry about that, won't do it again. However, there was one aggressive response to what I posted in this thread, I ignored it, but seeing you correct me over a quote edit and let that one slide has me confused. Clarification on that would be appreciated, maybe people reported my post, and didn't report his?

Edited by giantcookie

5 minutes ago, giantcookie said:

Joe I like to leave in the quote exactly what im responding to. Sorry about that, won't do it again. 

Just bold the part you are responding to :2cents:

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

17 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

Tyranny.........

well it’s been a good thread

How else are we to refer to excessive force by a person in authority?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, giantcookie said:

maybe people reported my post, and didn't report his?

Funny how that happens around here

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kal El said:

How else are we to refer to excessive force by a person in authority?

It's like words don't even mean what they mean. The constant fight to use words appropriately based on the definition of those words. Alternative facts, I tell you. Geez.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Ok this one confuses me. Umm...what? A cop using excessive force isn't the tyranny of gov't? Seems like that's kind of the definition.

Sorry, we save that type of rhetoric for the atrocities that really deserve it.  Closing tanning salons and making us wear masks to go Wal Mart.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

15 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

Just bold the part you are responding to :2cents:

This is a funny post. #likerainonmyweddingday

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

16 minutes ago, pepwaves said:

“I think America must see that riots do not develop out of thin air. Certain conditions continue to exist in our society which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard.”

- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Dr. King on 60 Minutes, Sept. 27th, 1966: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K0BWXjJv5s

MLK: I contend that the cry of "Black Power" is at bottom a reaction to the reluctance of white power to make the kind of changes necessary to make justice a reality for the negro. I think we've got to see that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the economic plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last few years.

Mike Wallace: How many summers like this one do you imagine that we can expect?

MLK: Well, I would say this: we don't have long. The mood of the negro community now is one of urgency, one of saying that we aren't gonna wait, that we've got to have our freedom. We've waited too long. So that I would say that every summer we are going to have this kind of vigorous protest. My hope is that it would be non-violent. I would hope that we can avoid riots because riots are self-defeating and socially destructive. I would hope that we can avoid riots but that we will be as militant and as determined next summer and through the winter as we have been this summer and I think the answer about how long it will take will depend on the federal government, on the city halls of our various cities, and on white America to a large extent. This is where we are at this point and I think white America will determine how long it will be and which way we go in the future.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, whoknew said:

This is a funny post. #likerainonmyweddingday

:whistle:

40 minutes ago, pepwaves said:

“I think America must see that riots do not develop out of thin air. Certain conditions continue to exist in our society which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard.”

- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Did you miss this in the same speech ?

Let me say as I've always said, and I will always continue to say, that riots are socially destructive and self-defeating. I'm still convinced that nonviolence is the most potent weapon available to oppressed people in their struggle for freedom and justice. I feel that violence will only create more social problems than they will solve. That in a real sense it is impracticable for the Negro to even think of mounting a violent revolution in the United States. So I will continue to condemn riots, and continue to say to my brothers and sisters that this is not the way. And continue to affirm that there is another way.  - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

1 hour ago, GroveDiesel said:

Seems like they’ve actually been trying to change the police culture that lead to officers straight up murdering someone and the police have fought that culture change tooth and nail. That culture that has created bad will and sparked this powder keg. So how about we give credit to the guys who have tried to make the right changes and blame the guys who are going around with a badge and gun and murdering citizens or promising to send in more guys with guns to shoot our own citizens?

Typical. Everyone gets a ribbon for trying.

The only thing that matters are results. And the sad fact is the two people with the most responsibility in either preventing or de-escalating the over-arching situation (mayor, police chief) have failed epically when it comes to results.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

Did you miss this in the same speech ?

Let me say as I've always said, and I will always continue to say, that riots are socially destructive and self-defeating. I'm still convinced that nonviolence is the most potent weapon available to oppressed people in their struggle for freedom and justice. I feel that violence will only create more social problems than they will solve. That in a real sense it is impracticable for the Negro to even think of mounting a violent revolution in the United States. So I will continue to condemn riots, and continue to say to my brothers and sisters that this is not the way. And continue to affirm that there is another way.  - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

No I did not miss that...thank you for assuming.

Dr. King was a very wise man. This speech of his implores you to look deeper at the causes of riots while ALSO condemning them as dangerous and counterproductive. Both are possible.

Edited by pepwaves
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, the moops said:

What is it with people throwing out "community organizer" as some sort of insult? 

I guess since you can't address the topic of who has more actual influence (Trump vs. the local officials) just quote a relatively trivial part of the post to create a sideshow. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

"I am not looking for approval. I have to stand up for people that are oppressed…if they take football away, my endorsements from me, I know that I stood up for what is right.”

(these two were in 2016, after the first "kneeling" game)

"(in the 50 years since the Black Panther movement) what has changed? Oscar Grant, Rekia Boyd, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, Laquan McDonald, Sandra Bland, Freddie Gray. The Panthers' demands are still alive today because the police are still killing us today."

-Colin Kaepernick

"If a player wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL,or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect our Great American Flag (or Country) and should stand for the National Anthem. If not, YOU’RE FIRED. Find something else to do!”

“Get that son of a ##### off the field right now. Out! He’s fired. He’s fired!”

"You have to stand proudly for the national anthem or you shouldn’t be playing, you shouldn’t be there—maybe you shouldn’t be in the country.”

-Donald J. Trump

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

BREAKING: Officer Derek Chauvin is in custody 

eta:

He is the only officer taken into custody, DPS Commissioner John Harrington says. The BCA took Chauvin into custody, pending charges.

Edited by Sinn Fein
  • Like 8

Former officer Derek Chauvin arrested, per KSTP

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, pepwaves said:

No I did not miss that...thank you for assuming.

Dr. King was a very wise man. This speech of his implores you to look deeper at the causes of riots while ALSO condemning them as dangerous and counterproductive. Both are possible.

I should also add...I am a St. Paul resident. The looting and riots are very close to my home. A neighbor reported looting happening only a mile away from where I live. What if the violence extends to my neighborhood?

It's frightening and I hope the violence stops for the sake of my community and family, but at the same time I empathize with the emotions behind the destruction. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, giantcookie said:

As has already been brought up as a complaint about twitter...you realize...something can be mostly a protest and calm...and still have pockets of violence or things burning.  That tweet would stand up to pretty much any fact check...especially since, you know, he does talk about the fires.

https://twitter.com/robsmithonline/status/1266378362244657153

This black business owner was in tears at the destruction of his sports bar as a result of the #MinneapolisRiot The clip broke my heart. Maybe we can help this man out. I’ve got $50 on it. What about you?

So sad, hopefully the national guards will stop all the rioters from ruining lives. 

2 hours ago, John Blutarsky said:

So the President has a strategy to make sure cops are killing black suspects?

His strategy is to use this tragic situation to score political points against those he views as his Democratic opponents. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Just now, bigbottom said:

His strategy is to use this tragic situation to score political points against those he views as his Democratic opponents. 

Just crap with this nonsense 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, PhantomJB said:
1 hour ago, the moops said:

What is it with people throwing out "community organizer" as some sort of insult? 

I guess since you can't address the topic of who has more actual influence (Trump vs. the local officials) just quote a relatively trivial part of the post to create a sideshow. 

Sorry - when you throw out a faux insult directed at the mayor, it doesn't lead me to believe you would want to have an honest discussion on this topic.

Frey called on the DA to arrest the police officer. The DA refused. Frey came out immediately and fired the 4 officers involved. The looting and rioting is terrible. And I am sure there is more that he could have done to prevent it, but I think we can all agree that there is only so much he can do. And whatveer he does, or doesn't do, there are going to be thousands of arm chair mayors calling him out for it.

This is a super ####ty situation. Instead of calling people names and mocking their credentials, we should all be working to find solutions

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bigbottom said:

To be fair, his strategy is to use every situation to score political points against those he views as his Democratic opponents.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, bigbottom said:

And to deflect any personal blame.

• Like 1

For anyone curious, I found this Google map that someone is updating with locations of reported looting and fires over the last couple of days.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

A few years after the LA Riots of 1992, a landlord I knew of in North Long Beach (which is next to Compton) privately swore to me that he had a landlord friend who, during the riots, paid some dudes to set fire to his building. And that he also knew of a mob effort to do the same thing on a more organized basis around Los Angeles. I never knew if that story was true, but #### like that shouldn’t surprise anyone...

Edited by timschochet

13 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

Former officer Derek Chauvin arrested, per KSTP

I'm still baffled for why it took so long.  Somebody had to affirmatively decide "No, I'm going to hold off on arresting the cop who murdered a guy on film."  

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

I think you're giving him too much credit.  I just think he's super racist.  It's not as if he researched 40 year-old  quotes from some Bull Connor type in preparation for this opportunity.  He's a guy who took out ads about the Central Park Five being animals well before he was a candidate for office (and who participated in his father's denial of leases to minorities in the 70s).  This is a guy who says the quiet part out loud.  That he views "some people" as savage, violent, and frankly less than human.  And feels the only cure is force.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/28/2020 at 4:38 PM, Cjw_55106 said:

Nothing I have posted goes against that. My issue, as I stated in the beginning, is people claiming this doesnt happen to anyone other than blacks. That is a completely false premise. Everyone knows the numbers. The message can get across without making stuff up. 

Is anyone in this thread claiming that? 

30 minutes ago, PhantomJB said:

Typical. Everyone gets a ribbon for trying.

The only thing that matters are results. And the sad fact is the two people with the most responsibility in either preventing or de-escalating the over-arching situation (mayor, police chief) have failed epically when it comes to results.

Funny you seem to be giving a pass to the officers and the union who championed this. Why go after the police chief and mayor who were trying to make a difference and not a single word of criticism for the guys who actually broke the law to continue training to be militant thugs?

Frey has been mayor for 2 years. Arredondo has been chief for 3 years. The officer that murdered a citizen has been an officer for 17 years. Union head Bob Kroll has been head of the union for 5 years. To expect the chief and mayor to totally turn around the culture in 2-3 years when the union and officers are fighting them tooth and nail seems like misplaced blame to me.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

I think you're giving him too much credit.  I just think he's super racist.  It's not as if he researched 40 year-old  quotes from some Bull Connor type in preparation for this opportunity.  He's a guy who took out ads about the Central Park Five being animals well before he was a candidate for office (and who participated in his father's denial of leases to minorities in the 70s).  This is a guy who says the quiet part out loud.  That he views "some people" as savage, violent, and frankly less than human.  And feels the only cure is force.

In addition, Trump has succeed in making this story all about him.  My son lives in Minneapolis -- we've been texting back and forth and some of my extended family has checked in to make sure he's okay.  Beyond that, all anybody wants to talk about is how terrible Trump is.  Now, obviously Trump is terrible, but this particular incident didn't involve him in the slightest until he decided to run his mouth on social media.  Now it's a Trump Story.  

• Like 5

Biden’s statement on George Floyd and systemic racism is being broadcast live on MSNBC.

1 minute ago, IvanKaramazov said:

In addition, Trump has succeed in making this story all about him.  My son lives in Minneapolis -- we've been texting back and forth and some of my extended family has checked in to make sure he's okay.  Beyond that, all anybody wants to talk about is how terrible Trump is.  Now, obviously Trump is terrible, but this particular incident didn't involve him in the slightest until he decided to run his mouth on social media.  Now it's a Trump Story.  

100K deaths from COVID is also out of the news cycle 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, squistion said:

:yes:

Mukhtar M. Ibrahim‏ @mukhtaryare 8m8 minutes ago

BREAKING: Derek Chauvin, the ex-Minneapolis Police who killed George Floyd, has been arrested in Minneapolis, Minnesota Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington has announced.

https://twitter.com/mukhtaryare/status/1266417544870666242

A couple days too late to save the city from being destroyed.   Should have happened the next day and possibly saved the city from destruction.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

But, you'll notice we all stopped talking about what a poor job he did with covid19...

• Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

A couple days too late to save the city from being destroyed.   Should have happened the next day and possibly saved the city from destruction.

Seems like a great question that the DA needs to answer.

3 minutes ago, squistion said:

Biden’s statement on George Floyd and systemic racism is being broadcast live on MSNBC.

Biden should probably keep quiet as he was a big part of the problem in the 80s and 90s.  Promoting and defending the war on drugs and supported mass incarceration, most of who were black folk. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

And still thinks they should get the death penalty even after DNA evidence proved it wasn't them.

Interestingly enough, while looking for Trump's exact quotes on the CP5, I found this statement quite amusing given our current issue with Michael Flynn: 

"They admitted their guilt. If you look at Fairstein, and if you look at some of the prosecutors, they think that the city should never have settled that case, so we'll leave it at that."

Now what's different about the CP5 I wonder? And before anyone asks about the flip side, DNA evidence proved them innocent.

• Like 3

Following up on yesterday's announcement by the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis Public Schools has a proposal to terminate their contract with MPD and disallowed future negotiations with them:

Our communities are in pain and our city is on fire as a result of MPDs blatant disregard for black lives. The people of our city are demanding justice.

And while our school board does not have the ability or authority to arrest and prosecute the officers who murdered George Floyd, we do have the ability to send MPD a very clear message- not only through public statements- but through action.

I wrote a resolution Tuesday with the support of Chairn@KimEllison & Director @SiadAli to (1) terminate our contract with MPD, (2) cease future negotiations with MPD, (3) and direct the Superintendent & his staff to devise an alternative plan to better serve our students.

We will bring this resolution before the full board on 6/2. MPS cannot align itself with MPD and claim to fight institutional racism. We cannot partner with organizations that do not see the humanity in our students. We cannot be neutral in situations of injustice.

This does nothing to reduce the pain and loss that our community is enduring. Hopefully this can be a small step towards the dramatic changes that are needed in our city and beyond.

I stand with city leaders and community members in demanding criminal charges be filed in the murder of George Floyd, and call on all folks in positions of power to do everything they can to create the change that is needed. #BlackLivesmatter

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Appreciate all your local takes and updates on this @mcintyre1.  Thanks

And other SPM area folks

Edited by beef
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

Seems like a great question that the DA needs to answer.

Yashar is not everyone's cup of tea, but this is a good series of tweets:

Yashar Ali @yashar . 3m

1. If you're frustrated with the prosecutorial decisions in Minnesota, one place you should focus on is state laws. LEOs are given substantial protections under many state laws (I can't speak to Minnesota) if they kill someone while they are acting within the scope of duties...

2. This is not absolving prosecutors or saying you shouldn't focus on them, but many people (not activists) forget about the role our laws play in protecting LEOs in these cases. It is very hard for prosecutors in many states to charge police officers with murder...

3. And even when they are charged, it's often hard to get a conviction, again that is often based on state laws. Prosecutors play an important role in all this (and remember they are elected!) but state laws play a significant role...give good prosecutors the tools they need

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I hope cops around the country are paying attention.

Ashley Southall

@AshleyAtTimes

BREAKING: The New York City police department's internal affair bureau has recommended misconduct charges against an officer who beat a bystander to an arrest on May 2 and kneeled on his back and neck– a move similar to the one used on George Floyd. Two more also face charges.

• Like 1