Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
In The Zone

Another killing at the hands of the Police

The more that things change, the more they stay the same.

Well I'm about to get sick
From watchin' my TV
Been checkin' out the news
Until my eyeballs fail to see
I mean to say that every day
Is just another rotten mess
And when it's gonna change, my friends
Is anybody's guess

So I'm watchin' and I'm waitin'

Hopin' for the best
Even think I'll go to prayin'
Every time I hear 'em sayin'
That there's no way to delay
That trouble comin' every day
No way to delay

Wednesday I watched the riot...
I seen the cops out on the street
Watched 'em throwin' rocks and stuff
And chokin' in the heat
Listened to reports
About the whisky passin' 'round
Seen the smoke & fire
And the market burnin' down
Watched while everybody
On his street would take a turn
To stomp and smash and bash and crash
And slash and bust and burn

And I'm watchin' and I'm waitin'
Hopin' for the best
No way to delay

Well you can cool it,
You can heat it...
'Cause, baby, I don't need it...
Take your TV tube and eat it
'N all that phony stuff on sports
'N all the unconfirmed reports
You know I watched that rotten box
Until my head began to hurt
From checkin' out the way
The newsmen say they get the dirt
Before the guys on channel so-and-so
And further they assert
That any show they'll interrupt
To bring you news if it comes up
They say that if the place blows up
They'll be the first to tell
Because the boys they got downtown
Are workin' hard and doin' swell,
And if anybody gets the news
Before it hits the street,
They say that no one blabs it faster
Their coverage can't be beat

And if another woman driver
Gets machine-gunned from her seat
They'll send some joker with a brownie
And you'll see it all complete

So I'm watchin' and I'm waitin'
Hopin' for the best
No way to delay

Hey you know something people
I'm not black
But there's a whole lots a times
I wish I could say I'm not white

Well, I seen the fires burnin'
And the local people turnin'
On the merchants and the shops
Who used to sell their brooms and mops
And every other household item
Watched the mob just turn and bite 'em
And they say it served 'em right
Because a few of them are white,
And it's the same across the nation
Black & white discrimination
They're yellin' "; You can't understand me!";
And all the other crap they hand me
In the papers and TV
'N all that mass stupidity
That seems to grow more every day
Each time you hear some nitwit say
He wants to go and do you in
Because the color of your skin
Just don't appeal to him
(No matter if it's black or white)
Because he's out for blood tonight
You know we gotta sit around at home
And watch this thing begin
But I bet there won't be many left
To see it really end
'Cause the fire in the street
Ain't like the fire in my heart
And in the eyes of all these people
Don't you know that this could start
On any street in any town
In any state if any clown
Decides that now's the time to fight
For some ideal he thinks is right
And if a million more agree
There ain't no great society
As it applies to you and me
Our country isn't free
And the law refuses to see
If all that you can ever be
Is just a lousy janitor
Unless your uncle owns a store
You know that five in every four
Just one amount and nothin' more
Don't watch the rats go across the floor
And make up songs about being poor
Blow you harmonica son!

I wonder if Trump thinks the white guy who busted out all the windows of the AutoZone that started all the destruction and looting is a thug. Or the white people that are looting along with everyone else.

Very fine people, I'm sure.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mcintyre1 said:

Link to the criminal complaint against the officer

Has some more details that we haven't known about:

• One of the initial responding officers pulled his gun on him at the start of the encounter. 
  • While Floyd was still breathing, Officer Lane asked if they should roll him on his side, Officer Chauvin refused this request, indicating they should stay in position
  • After Floyd had stop breathing or moving, Lane again asked if they should roll him on his side. Officer Keung then checks his pulse and finds none, indicating this to the other officers. None of the officers move from their positions.

This will end up being the controversial part, and is likely why charges waited:

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner (ME) conducted Mr. Floyd's autopsy on May 26, 2020. The full report of the ME is pending but the ME has made the following preliminary findings. The autopsy revealed no physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxia or strangulation. Mr. Floyd had underlying health conditions including coronary artery disease and hypertensive heart disease. The combined effects of Mr. Floyd being restrained by police, his underlying health conditions and any potential intoxicants in his system likely contributed to his death.

The defendant had his knee on Mr. Floyd's neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds in total. Two minutes and 53 seconds of this was after Mr. Floyd was non-responsive. Police are trained that this type of restraint with a subject in a prone positions is inherently dangerous.

I only watched the video of the incident once and don't fully remember, but wasn't Floyd yelling that his chest hurt...his arm hurt...etc.  So, was he having a heart attack?  

13 minutes ago, kodycutter said:

That was an interesting take in the comments on that tweet from Mike Tyson.

Some pretty racist tweets in the ‘More Tweets’ section.

2 hours ago, squistion said:

But others don't care to scroll through anything that long. In fact, I recall one of the mods advising against posts that lengthy. 

The mods advised against a one line post?  

2 hours ago, timschochet said:

He called them thugs and tweeted that looting leads to shooting. Now he’s trying to cover himself. Is that what impresses you? 

You mean just like Obama did when he referred to those rioting in Baltimore? 

1 hour ago, whoknew said:

That's an eloquent argument for why an NFL owner or coach may not want Colin Kaepernick protesting.

Now, about the President calling him a son of a #####...

With Trump?  Pretty sure he would call anyone that who he felt was disrespecting the National Anthem. There is no doubt in my mind he would call Ryan Fitzpatrick the same if he was the only one kneeling.

1 minute ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I wonder how many people just suddenly die from non related causes while someone else has their knee on their neck? Anyone want to give me a number?  I mean it must happen every day.

At the time I watched the video, I remember thinking if this guy can't breathe, how is he talking and complaining?  I can easily imagine a scenario where it wasn't an asphyxiation that caused the death.  The trauma of the situation along with pre-existing conditions leads to heart attack.  Just because Floyd didn't suffocate doesn't mean the officer is free of responsibility.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, timschochet said:

He called them thugs and tweeted that looting leads to shooting. Now he’s trying to cover himself. Is that what impresses you? 

I guess that is the term Presidents use.

President Obama doesn't regret using the term "thugs" in describing the violent rioters in Baltimore this week, spokesman Josh Earnest said Wednesday.

"Whether it's arson or, you know, the looting of a liquor store ... those were thuggish acts,"

In discussing the riots Tuesday, Obama assailed the "criminals and thugs who tore up the place," and described them as a distraction from the real issues of police brutality.

Some critics ascribe racial connotations to the word "thug" -- Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake walked back the term earlier this week -- but Obama doesn't agree, officials said.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

At the time I watched the video, I remember thinking if this guy can't breathe, how is he talking and complaining?  I can easily imagine a scenario where it wasn't an asphyxiation that caused the death.  The trauma of the situation along with pre-existing conditions leads to heart attack.  Just because Floyd didn't suffocate doesn't mean the officer is free of responsibility.

Exactly. The officer created the situation in which he died. It doesn't have to be more than that for the officer to be guilty.

2 hours ago, ren hoek said:

@GravelInstitute

George Floyd was murdered over a counterfeit $20 bill.

That's not why he was murdered. That's is what allowed him to end up in the hands of the police.

39 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I think he choked him out like a MMA fighter cutting off the blood supply to the brain.

2 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:
2 hours ago, mcintyre1 said:

Mayor Frey has declared a curfew from 8pm - 6a starting tonight and ending Sunday morning for "all public places within the City of Minneapolis."

I wonder if he added the words "or else". 

I hope you can see the pickle he is in. He let's the protests play out - he is a left wing no backbone loser of a Mayor. He institutes a curfew - he gets called whatever it is "or else" means (maybe calling him spineless?). I don't know Andy - I am not the biggest Frey fan, but there is so much going on in the city that is beyond his control. We have one, if not the biggest racial discrepencies in the country here. And young black men keep dying from police officers actions. 

Wild live scene on cnn going on in DC right now.  Going to be a long weekend.  

1 hour ago, giantcookie said:

BREAKING: The Hennepin County Medical Examiner has found “no physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxia or strangulation,” after conducting an autopsy on George Floyd on May 26.

1 hour ago, giantcookie said:

Oh WTF

• Thanks 1

Attorney guy said unless they change the charges to second degree murder, they can’t charge any accomplices. 

8 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Attorney guy said unless they change the charges to second degree murder, they can’t charge any accomplices. 

That doesn't surprise me, I didn't think one could be an accomplice to 3rd degree murder. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the moops said:

I hope you can see the pickle he is in. He let's the protests play out - he is a left wing no backbone loser of a Mayor. He institutes a curfew - he gets called whatever it is "or else" means (maybe calling him spineless?). I don't know Andy - I am not the biggest Frey fan, but there is so much going on in the city that is beyond his control. We have one, if not the biggest racial discrepencies in the country here. And young black men keep dying from police officers actions. 

Instituting it is one thing, enforcing it is another. I have zero faith he has the willpower to do the latter.

Really, I was just reminded of Demolition Man.

And that Frey is a lot like Sheriff Behan from Tombstone. All hat, no cattle.

7 minutes ago, Sam Quentin said:

Bull####

What part? You don’t think it’s feasible that he had a heart attack or something other than asphyxia? 

3 hours ago, mcintyre1 said:

Mayor Frey has declared a curfew from 8pm - 6a starting tonight and ending Sunday morning for "all public places within the City of Minneapolis."

Update?

• Like 1

Atlanta really looking rough.  CNN center was attacked.  Car on fire 

1 minute ago, Sam Quentin said:

Update?

Um....it is not yet 8pm in Minneapolis.

• Laughing 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, shader said:

Atlanta really looking rough.  CNN center was attacked.  Car on fire 

Saw lots of negative references to “12” In Atlanta, does anyone know what this is?

Can't still be mad at TB, can they? ;)

Edited by Mr. Ected
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Mr. Ected said:

Saw lots of negative references to “12” In Atlanta, does anyone know what this is?

Can't still be mad at TB, can they? ;)

slang for cops 

Edited by Capella

Huh. The Department of Justice no longer has a Civil Rights Division, at least not that I can find on https://www.justice.gov/. Neither civil rights or police misconduct are mentioned on their list of priorities, which I guess should come as no surprise.

There is the Presidential Commission on Law Enforcement and the Administration of Justice, but the issue of police misconduct is nowhere to be found there, either.

I did find the speech where Attorney General Barr says "Today American people have to focus on something else, which is the sacrifice and the service that is given by our law enforcement officers, and they have to start showing more than they do, the respect and support that law enforcement deserves. And if communities don't give that support and respect, they might find themselves without the police protection they need."

And another where he says:

"Unfortunately, over the past few years, there has been an increasingly vocal minority that regularly attacks the police and advances a narrative that it is the police that are the bad guys rather than the criminals.  Whenever there is a confrontation involving the use of force by police, they automatically start screaming for the officers’ scalps, regardless of the facts."

and

"There is another development that is demoralizing to law enforcement and dangerous to public safety.  That is the emergence in some of our large cities of District Attorneys that style themselves as “social justice” reformers, who spend their time undercutting the police, letting criminals off the hook, and refusing to enforce the law."

This is the exact type of thing cities have done to combat the problem Minneapolis has had, but apparently this administration thinks that's part of the problem.

“When you see thugs being thrown into the back of a paddy wagon, you just see them thrown in; rough. I said, ‘please don’t be too nice'. Like when you guys put somebody in the car and you’re protecting their head, you know, the way you put your hand over it. Like, don’t hit their head, and they’ve just killed somebody. I said, you can take the hand away, O.K.?.”

-Donald J. Trump

8 hours ago, Challenge Everything said:

Agreed. The Radical Right complained about a guy kneeling to bring discussion about injustices. The Radical Right complained about anti fascist protests. The Radical Right complains about one thing today then the exact opposite tomorrow. Yet, the Radical Right attempts to justify needing a haircut by threatening violence against the government.

It wasn't just the radical right, it was pretty much all of the mainstream right too.

• Like 6

One issue that always comes up at election time: why do so many blacks vote for Democrats? Why not more “Blexit”? The pro-Trump crowd has made some decent arguments that are not without merit: Trump has produced more jobs for blacks than ever before (at least until the pandemic). There is also the argument that decades of liberal policies have done little to actually improve conditions in the inner city. So why do they vote for the Democrat in such large numbers? 

A big part of the answer is that whenever these stories seem to arise, conservative politicians (and conservatives in general) invariably always seem to defend the police. 

11 minutes ago, timschochet said:

One issue that always comes up at election time: why do so many blacks vote for Democrats? Why not more “Blexit”? The pro-Trump crowd has made some decent arguments that are not without merit: Trump has produced more jobs for blacks than ever before (at least until the pandemic). There is also the argument that decades of liberal policies have done little to actually improve conditions in the inner city. So why do they vote for the Democrat in such large numbers? 

A big part of the answer is that whenever these stories seem to arise, conservative politicians (and conservatives in general) invariably always seem to defend the police. 

I may have missed it, but I have not seen a single person defend this cop. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cjw_55106 said:

No one is defending the cop, its a made up argument.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Anoka county (where I live) has instituted a curfew. 

I feel safer now.

Curfew in Minneapolis starts in 5 min.  CNN showing streets with many people on them, and police decked out in SWAT gear like they are going to war.

I hope the cops don’t try to enforce this curfew 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Capella said:

slang for cops 

I guess from Adam 12?

Cops throwing smoke bombs at peaceful protestors and reporters.

3 minutes ago, mozzy84 said:

Totally wish this thread wasn’t in the political forum.  

It was moved here because it was literally impossible to discuss a killing at the hands of the police without having politics entering into the discussion. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shader said:

Cops throwing smoke bombs at peaceful protestors and reporters.

Shouldn’t they have waited five minutes at least

19 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

I wasn’t referring to here. And in this situation it’s very difficult to defend the cop because of the video. Even so there are several pro Trump websites doing exactly that. 

If there was no video then I believe many people here would be defending the police. See Trayvon Martin and a whole number of other examples. 

• Like 1

Ali Velshi reporting live from MSNBC in MPLS, multiple tear gas canisters fired by the police at the protesting crowd. 

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

I wasn’t referring to here. And in this situation it’s very difficult to defend the cop because of the video. Even so there are several pro Trump websites doing exactly that. 

If there was no video then I believe many people here would be defending the police. See Trayvon Martin and a whole number of other examples. 

So by “inevitably always defending the cops” you are actually referring to a couple specific websites most people have never heard of?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, shader said:

Curfew in Minneapolis starts in 5 min.  CNN showing streets with many people on them, and police decked out in SWAT gear like they are going to war.

I hope the cops don’t try to enforce this curfew 

Why? Personally I feel like consecutive nights of burning down buildings and breaking everything in sight is plenty of time. It needs to end.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cjw_55106 said:

So by “inevitably always defending the cops” you are actually referring to a couple specific websites most people have never heard of?

Yes, and this is a good example of why everyone hates each other.  Create a straw man and imply that a bunch of people that don’t agree with everything you say are guilty of said straw man and must defend it.

It’s rampant in this forum.

• Like 2