What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (6 Viewers)

I hope you can see the pickle he is in. He let's the protests play out - he is a left wing no backbone loser of a Mayor. He institutes a curfew - he gets called whatever it is "or else" means (maybe calling him spineless?). I don't know Andy - I am not the biggest Frey fan, but there is so much going on in the city that is beyond his control. We have one, if not the biggest racial discrepencies in the country here. And young black men keep dying from police officers actions. 
Instituting it is one thing, enforcing it is another. I have zero faith he has the willpower to do the latter.

Really, I was just reminded of Demolition Man.

And that Frey is a lot like Sheriff Behan from Tombstone. All hat, no cattle.

Huh. The Department of Justice no longer has a Civil Rights Division, at least not that I can find on https://www.justice.gov/. Neither civil rights or police misconduct are mentioned on their list of priorities, which I guess should come as no surprise.

There is the Presidential Commission on Law Enforcement and the Administration of Justice, but the issue of police misconduct is nowhere to be found there, either.

I did find the speech where Attorney General Barr says "Today American people have to focus on something else, which is the sacrifice and the service that is given by our law enforcement officers, and they have to start showing more than they do, the respect and support that law enforcement deserves. And if communities don't give that support and respect, they might find themselves without the police protection they need."

And another where he says:

"Unfortunately, over the past few years, there has been an increasingly vocal minority that regularly attacks the police and advances a narrative that it is the police that are the bad guys rather than the criminals.  Whenever there is a confrontation involving the use of force by police, they automatically start screaming for the officers’ scalps, regardless of the facts."

and

"There is another development that is demoralizing to law enforcement and dangerous to public safety.  That is the emergence in some of our large cities of District Attorneys that style themselves as “social justice” reformers, who spend their time undercutting the police, letting criminals off the hook, and refusing to enforce the law."

This is the exact type of thing cities have done to combat the problem Minneapolis has had, but apparently this administration thinks that's part of the problem.

“When you see thugs being thrown into the back of a paddy wagon, you just see them thrown in; rough. I said, ‘please don’t be too nice'. Like when you guys put somebody in the car and you’re protecting their head, you know, the way you put your hand over it. Like, don’t hit their head, and they’ve just killed somebody. I said, you can take the hand away, O.K.?.”

-Donald J. Trump

Agreed. The Radical Right complained about a guy kneeling to bring discussion about injustices. The Radical Right complained about anti fascist protests. The Radical Right complains about one thing today then the exact opposite tomorrow. Yet, the Radical Right attempts to justify needing a haircut by threatening violence against the government.
It wasn't just the radical right, it was pretty much all of the mainstream right too.

One issue that always comes up at election time: why do so many blacks vote for Democrats? Why not more “Blexit”? The pro-Trump crowd has made some decent arguments that are not without merit: Trump has produced more jobs for blacks than ever before (at least until the pandemic). There is also the argument that decades of liberal policies have done little to actually improve conditions in the inner city. So why do they vote for the Democrat in such large numbers? 

A big part of the answer is that whenever these stories seem to arise, conservative politicians (and conservatives in general) invariably always seem to defend the police. 

One issue that always comes up at election time: why do so many blacks vote for Democrats? Why not more “Blexit”? The pro-Trump crowd has made some decent arguments that are not without merit: Trump has produced more jobs for blacks than ever before (at least until the pandemic). There is also the argument that decades of liberal policies have done little to actually improve conditions in the inner city. So why do they vote for the Democrat in such large numbers? 

A big part of the answer is that whenever these stories seem to arise, conservative politicians (and conservatives in general) invariably always seem to defend the police. 
I may have missed it, but I have not seen a single person defend this cop. 

Anoka county (where I live) has instituted a curfew. 

I feel safer now.
Curfew in Minneapolis starts in 5 min.  CNN showing streets with many people on them, and police decked out in SWAT gear like they are going to war.

I hope the cops don’t try to enforce this curfew 

I may have missed it, but I have not seen a single person defend this cop. 
I wasn’t referring to here. And in this situation it’s very difficult to defend the cop because of the video. Even so there are several pro Trump websites doing exactly that. 

If there was no video then I believe many people here would be defending the police. See Trayvon Martin and a whole number of other examples. 

Ali Velshi reporting live from MSNBC in MPLS, multiple tear gas canisters fired by the police at the protesting crowd. 

I wasn’t referring to here. And in this situation it’s very difficult to defend the cop because of the video. Even so there are several pro Trump websites doing exactly that. 

If there was no video then I believe many people here would be defending the police. See Trayvon Martin and a whole number of other examples. 
So by “inevitably always defending the cops” you are actually referring to a couple specific websites most people have never heard of?

Curfew in Minneapolis starts in 5 min.  CNN showing streets with many people on them, and police decked out in SWAT gear like they are going to war.

I hope the cops don’t try to enforce this curfew 
Why? Personally I feel like consecutive nights of burning down buildings and breaking everything in sight is plenty of time. It needs to end.

So by “inevitably always defending the cops” you are actually referring to a couple specific websites most people have never heard of?
Yes, and this is a good example of why everyone hates each other.  Create a straw man and imply that a bunch of people that don’t agree with everything you say are guilty of said straw man and must defend it.

It’s rampant in this forum.

Not turned violent at this point, but there are sizeable protests in DC, Houston, NYC, Oakland and probably some other cities in addition to Atlanta.  This stuff at CNN is crazy.

Why are they going after CNN?   Throwing explosives at police is a great idea.  I'm sure they'll be the victims when cops retaliate

It was moved here because it was literally impossible to discuss a killing at the hands of the police without having politics entering into the discussion. 
I hear ya.  Just sucks listening to people talk/whine about the right and the left In here. The news channels are worse though I’ve give it that.  there’s a reason Ive never have been in the forum until this week.  

Users who are viewing this thread