What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (2 Viewers)

How about doing what he said this morning? 
In regards to the fires the night before: “You will not see that tonight. There will be no lack of leadership and there will be no lack of response on the table.”
Right now all I've seen is a few cars in a small parking lot on fire that people are trying to put out with hoses and a dumpster outside a gas station that (last I knew when I lived near there) has been dead for years. At this moment, the vast majority (95% I'd say, based on the lack of reports of looting and fires compared to last night) of those gathered are holding signs and chanting along with the bullhorn. 

Do you really think that launching tear gas and rubber bullets into that crowd is the right call at this moment?

Tyranny - cruel and oppressive government or rule.
I'm struggling to understand, though, why stopping a mob from doing illegal things by using non-lethal methods is cruel and oppressive.

Edit: I haven't had the news on for a couple of hours though. Maybe things aren't as unruly as I'm picturing in my head.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm struggling to understand, though, why stopping a mob from doing illegal things by using non-lethal methods is cruel and oppressive.
My main issue with it (in this current moment in Minneapolis) is that the main purpose is will serve is escalation of (currently) peaceful protest. I for one would like to have a night where I'm not up until 3 watching the city burn, if that's an option. I think the best way of achieving that right now is to avoid escalation.

If it gets worse as the night goes on, send in the NG to start arresting people.

Right now all I've seen is a few cars in a small parking lot on fire that people are trying to put out with hoses and a dumpster outside a gas station that (last I knew when I lived near there) has been dead for years. At this moment, the vast majority (95% I'd say, based on the lack of reports of looting and fires compared to last night) of those gathered are holding signs and chanting along with the bullhorn. 

Do you really think tha launching tear gas and rubber bullets into that crowd is the right call at this moment?
I think my approach has tended to be similar to yours. Sometimes the best way to deal with a fire is to let it burn itself out. Our attempts to put them out often make them much bigger. 

He was arrested and charged for 3rd degree murder and manslaughter. HTH. 

But, look!  Free TVs!  
Yeah, you forgot to include it took four days plus protests to have that happen. There are also three other cops that haven't been arrested yet.

You or I kneel on someone's neck and cause their death... we end up in jail that night. Not four days later after protests.

Yeah, you forgot to include it took four days plus protests to have that happen. There are also three other cops that haven't been arrested yet.

You or I kneel on someone's neck and cause their death... we end up in jail that night. Not four days later after protests.
And the possibility that like many other  cases a conviction isn’t guaranteed at all.

Do you really think that launching tear gas and rubber bullets into that crowd is the right call at this moment?
Fire at gas stations usually not a good mix.

You or I kneel on someone's neck and cause their death... we end up in jail that night. Not four days later after 
I'm guessing you dont know how it works. You have to make sure your case is solid before, evidence gathered and take it to the DA before making charges or there is a good chance it might not stick. That takes time even in clear cut cases like this.  It was going to happen, anyone with a brain who didnt want a brand new flat screen knew this. 

What justice are they looking for tonight?  He was fired almost immediately.  He has been arrested.  
1. They want him charged with first degree murder. 
2. They want the other policemen charged and arrested as well. 
3. But more than anything else, they’re frustrated not with this one case but because they believe it’s so representative and commonplace, and these protests are an emotional way to express their frustration. 

3. But more than anything else, they’re frustrated not with this one case but because they believe it’s so representative and commonplace, and these protests are an emotional way to express their frustration. 
You forgot free stuff.  

This is just ignorant. First degree murder requires It be premeditated. If he was charged with that, they’d better prepare themselves for an acquittal. 

Some people surely did stay home because of it. It doesn't hurt anything to do it.
Of course it does. If you are THE authority, draw a line in the sand, and then don't enforce the line you're signalling an unwillingness to exercise that authority. That surely emboldens the BAD actors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing you dont know how it works. You have to make sure your case is solid before, evidence gathered and take it to the DA before making charges or there is a good chance it might not stick. That takes time even in clear cut cases like this.  It was going to happen, anyone with a brain who didnt want a brand new flat screen knew this. 
The reason that many black people don’t know this works is because what you described doesn’t work for them. Black people often get arrested and then rot behind bars while the DA decides whether or not to bring charges and how to make them stick. 

I would like the opportunity to upgrade my home appliances and start the Target on fire when I leave in order to show everyone I'm frustrated. Please let me know when it is my turn. TIA. 

The reason that many black people don’t know this works is because what you described doesn’t work for them. Black people often get arrested and then rot behind bars while the DA decides whether or not to bring charges and how to make them stick. 
Rot behind bars? How long do yo think someone can be held without charges? 

This is just ignorant. First degree murder requires It be premeditated. If he was charged with that, they’d better prepare themselves for an acquittal. 
I don’t necessarily disagree with you, though I’m no criminal law expert. But nonetheless that’s what they want. 

There is a key difference I'm seeing tonight compared to the last two night -- leadership and focus among the protesters. There's been a man on a bullhorn leading chants and sharing info to the ~1000 people gathered around the 5th Precinct for the last couple of hours. There wasn't any focus after the tear gas and marker rounds were used on Wednesday. Everyone scattered and then the looting and fires started.

Yeah 1st degree would never happen.  I think a case can be made for 2nd degree which allows for the charging of the other officers as well.

But also...lets not act as if one arrest makes it all go away and all better.

Users who are viewing this thread