Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
In The Zone

Another killing at the hands of the Police

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

1. They want him charged with first degree murder. 
2. They want the other policemen charged and arrested as well. 
3. But more than anything else, they’re frustrated not with this one case but because they believe it’s so representative and commonplace, and these protests are an emotional way to express their frustration. 

You forgot free stuff.  

Just now, Galileo said:

Chauvin's wife has filed for divorce.  :lmao:

Just heard them read that statement from her attorney.  Very interesting phrasing to make it clear her kids were not with the policeman involved in this.  In other words, he's not their dad leave my kids alone.

• Like 3

Just now, timschochet said:

1. They want him charged with first degree murder. 
2. They want the other policemen charged and arrested as well. 
3. But more than anything else, they’re frustrated not with this one case but because they believe it’s so representative and commonplace, and these protests are an emotional way to express their frustration. 

This is just ignorant. First degree murder requires It be premeditated. If he was charged with that, they’d better prepare themselves for an acquittal. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

Some people surely did stay home because of it. It doesn't hurt anything to do it.

Of course it does. If you are THE authority, draw a line in the sand, and then don't enforce the line you're signalling an unwillingness to exercise that authority. That surely emboldens the BAD actors.

Edited by Andy Dufresne

2 minutes ago, tonydead said:

I'm guessing you dont know how it works. You have to make sure your case is solid before, evidence gathered and take it to the DA before making charges or there is a good chance it might not stick. That takes time even in clear cut cases like this.  It was going to happen, anyone with a brain who didnt want a brand new flat screen knew this. 

The reason that many black people don’t know this works is because what you described doesn’t work for them. Black people often get arrested and then rot behind bars while the DA decides whether or not to bring charges and how to make them stick. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Chauvin's wife has filed for divorce.  :lmao:

Announced to loud cheers via bullhorn outside the 5th Precinct.

I would like the opportunity to upgrade my home appliances and start the Target on fire when I leave in order to show everyone I'm frustrated. Please let me know when it is my turn. TIA. 

Just now, timschochet said:

The reason that many black people don’t know this works is because what you described doesn’t work for them. Black people often get arrested and then rot behind bars while the DA decides whether or not to bring charges and how to make them stick. 

Rot behind bars? How long do yo think someone can be held without charges? 

• Laughing 1

1 minute ago, Cjw_55106 said:

This is just ignorant. First degree murder requires It be premeditated. If he was charged with that, they’d better prepare themselves for an acquittal. 

I don’t necessarily disagree with you, though I’m no criminal law expert. But nonetheless that’s what they want. 

2 minutes ago, tonydead said:

You forgot free stuff.  

This is the 3rd or 4th time you’ve made this comment. For the vast majority of protesters it’s just wrong, and I think it’s awful for you to keep repeating it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

My God.  Please don't respond to the firecrackers thrown by the instigators.

There is a key difference I'm seeing tonight compared to the last two night -- leadership and focus among the protesters. There's been a man on a bullhorn leading chants and sharing info to the ~1000 people gathered around the 5th Precinct for the last couple of hours. There wasn't any focus after the tear gas and marker rounds were used on Wednesday. Everyone scattered and then the looting and fires started.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Yeah 1st degree would never happen.  I think a case can be made for 2nd degree which allows for the charging of the other officers as well.

But also...lets not act as if one arrest makes it all go away and all better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Are we talking black people in the inner city? 

1 minute ago, Endowed said:

jfc

I got suspended once for posting that. But I digress. 

If you're so frustrated and want justice when does it cross your mind to start stealing?  Do you go for the OLED or just take the biggest one available?   

3 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

They share some blame for sure.

someone posted this: 

And, when police kill innocent people... they don't receive the same treatment of a water cannon up their ###. Instead, they get paid leave and benefits. That is tyranny, Plain and simple.

Then some replied to it but crossed a word out and replaced it with Unions

And, when police kill innocent people... they don't receive the same treatment of a water cannon up their ###. Instead, they get paid leave and benefits. That is Unions, Plain and simple.

That seems to say it is the union more to blame than tyranny. Insane take considering all 4 cops got fired and only 1 arrested. The police leadership and police union took stronger action than the criminal justice system has taken. 

5 minutes ago, facook said:

There is gonna be an issue at Laffy Park in DC SOON.  It's coming.

Why not release the tear gas?  Or the krackens?

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

This is the 3rd or 4th time you’ve made this comment. For the vast majority of protesters looters, arsonists and assaulters it’s just wrong, and I think it’s awful for you to keep repeating 

FYP

2 minutes ago, Phil Elliott said:

Why not release the tear gas?  Or the krackens?

Not all have agendas.  I don't even know what you're asking.

Fox showing looters.  CNN interviewing Klobuchar.  lol

The sad truth on how riots hurt  the local communities.   Even though the downtown area of Detroit has made a huge comeback the city has never really recovered from the 1967 riots.

The finding is that the riots significantly depress the median value of black-owned property in cities riots occur , with very  little or no rebound . The baseline estimates for severe-riot cities relative to small-or-no-riot cities range from approximately 14 to 20 percent for black-owned properties, and from 6 to 10 percent for all central-city residential properties. Household-level data  indicate that the racial gap in property values widened substantially in riot-afflicted cities relative to others.

The exact mechanisms through which the riots affected economic activity over a long period of time are difficult to identify, but a large number of potentially reinforcing channels exist.  Property risk is higher in central city neighborhoods than before the riots, causing insurance premiums to rise,  taxes for income redistribution or more police and fire protection  increase, and municipal bonds are more difficult to place, retail outlets close, businesses and employment opportunities relocate, middle and higher income households move away, burned out buildings become an eyesore.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Are we talking black people in the inner city? 

I’m talking anyone, in any city. 

9 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

I said it partially in jest, but if people are mad about cops getting paid administrative leave and benefits, that is a direct result of the police union. 

Has the Minneapolis Police Union made any public statements defending these cops? Is there any sign the union put up any legitimate resistance to the firing of every officer involved? I am curious about this. There was the false statement that the police initially made. Where did that come from? These bigger issues are so interesting. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tonydead said:

I would like the opportunity to upgrade my home appliances and start the Target on fire when I leave in order to show everyone I'm frustrated. Please let me know when it is my turn. TIA. 

Go for it but first get in line for the free knee in your neck for 8 minutes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Endowed said:

jfc

I use James Fenimore Cooper instead so as to avoid criticism from religious folks and a possible suspension from the powers that be. 

1 minute ago, Da Guru said:

The sad truth on how riots hurt  the local communities.   Even though the downtown area of Detroit has made a huge comeback the city has never really recovered from the 1967 riots.

The finding is that the riots significantly depress the median value of black-owned property in cities riots occur , with very  little or no rebound . The baseline estimates for severe-riot cities relative to small-or-no-riot cities range from approximately 14 to 20 percent for black-owned properties, and from 6 to 10 percent for all central-city residential properties. Household-level data  indicate that the racial gap in property values widened substantially in riot-afflicted cities relative to others.

The exact mechanisms through which the riots affected economic activity over a long period of time are difficult to identify, but a large number of potentially reinforcing channels exist.  Property risk is higher in central city neighborhoods than before the riots, causing insurance premiums to rise,  taxes for income redistribution or more police and fire protection  increase, and municipal bonds are more difficult to place, retail outlets close, businesses and employment opportunities relocate, middle and higher income households move away, burned out buildings become an eyesore.

And the build-up in Detroit was similar to Minny. There was a ton of friction between the DPD and the citizens in '67. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

There is a key difference I'm seeing tonight compared to the last two night -- leadership and focus among the protesters. There's been a man on a bullhorn leading chants and sharing info to the ~1000 people gathered around the 5th Precinct for the last couple of hours. There wasn't any focus after the tear gas and marker rounds were used on Wednesday. Everyone scattered and then the looting and fires started.

Yes it looked really organized and focused as everyone cleaned out the liquor store. LOL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JbizzleMan said:

Isn’t there positional asphyxia? Paging @Terminalxylem

I'm curious to know if the knee cut off oxygenated blood supply since the aorta is on the left. Oxygenated blood leaves the left ventricle via the aorta out, which includes supplying the lungs.

2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Has the Minneapolis Police Union made any public statements defending these cops? Is there any sign the union put up any legitimate resistance to the firing of every officer involved? I am curious about this. There was the false statement that the police initially made. Where did that come from? These bigger issues are so interesting. 

I am not aware of the union defending the cops in any way for this case. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

DC is ungood.

The Secret Service isn't going to cede any more ground there so it has the potential to get nasty for sure.

Edited by Shula-holic

2 minutes ago, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

Yes it looked really organized and focused as everyone cleaned out the liquor store. LOL

Again, 95%. Doesn't take very many bad actors to screw it up for all of them (kind of like a police force).

If lots of fires start up again, it's time to enforce the curfew.

3 minutes ago, facook said:

Fox showing looters.  CNN interviewing Klobuchar.  lol

Klobuchar should be interviewed and I hope they are grilling her about criminal justice record in Minnesota. She has probably contributed to some of the problems they have there.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

someone posted this: 

And, when police kill innocent people... they don't receive the same treatment of a water cannon up their ###. Instead, they get paid leave and benefits. That is tyranny, Plain and simple.

Then some replied to it but crossed a word out and replaced it with Unions

And, when police kill innocent people... they don't receive the same treatment of a water cannon up their ###. Instead, they get paid leave and benefits. That is Unions, Plain and simple.

That seems to say it is the union more to blame than tyranny. Insane take considering all 4 cops got fired and only 1 arrested. The police leadership and police union took stronger action than the criminal justice system has taken. 

I didnt see that post. 

I almost posted something earlier in response to a different post about 10 bad cops 100 good cops that do nothing and so you have 110 bad cops. Was going to say no, then you have a union. 

Unions arent exactly known for weeding out bad apples. 

Secret service agent in DC looks like he took a brick or so other type of projectile to the head.

Just now, Biff84 said:

Klobuchar should be interviewed and I hope they are grilling her about criminal justice record in Minnesota. She has probably contributed to some of the problems they have there.

One of the reasons I don't like her very much at all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

I’m talking anyone, in any city. 

In that case I suggest you read The New Jim Crow: 

https://www.amazon.com/New-Jim-Crow-Incarceration-Colorblindness/dp/1620971933/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=the+new+jim+crow&qid=1590811130&sprefix=the+new+jim+&sr=8-1

It may cause you to reconsider your assumptions on this issue. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

I am not aware of the union defending the cops in any way for this case. 

That is good. Though we know they have certainly defended rogue cops before. It's a big complex problem but the tyranny of law, order and justice is not a union issue. It's a huge American issue. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

No it's not. It took almost 2 minutes after the other #### said there's no pulse that he removed his knee! That's where intent comes in. Someone tells the dude has no pulse, he still decides to continue holding him down. Did not even let up to confirm if there is a pulse or not. None of them! 

1 minute ago, mcintyre1 said:
2 minutes ago, Biff84 said:

One of the reasons I don't like her very much at all.

Ummm...no.

1 minute ago, parasaurolophus said:

I didnt see that post. 

I almost posted something earlier in response to a different post about 10 bad cops 100 good cops that do nothing and so you have 110 bad cops. Was going to say no, then you have a union. 

Unions arent exactly known for weeding out bad apples. 

No, they're not -- and police unions have become a bane of the left, even, when it comes to the criminal justice system in America. It's just that you don't hear it very often. 

2 minutes ago, Biff84 said:

It was asked of her...more of how it hurts her shot at BO...she declined to talk politics about it.

17 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Locally, it’s 60 days. Googling “held without charges in New Orleans” brings up many references.

• Sad 1

Just now, CurlyNight said:

No it's not. It took almost 2 minutes after the other #### said there's no pulse that he removed his knee! That's where intent comes in. Someone tells the dude has no pulse, he still decides to continue holding him down. Did not even let up to confirm if there is a pulse or not. None of them! 

You're always in the death threads. What is it about your psychological makeup that causes this sort of nightmarish and macabre outlook on all things once living? 

• Thanks 1

There's a car burning by an ATM at the Wells Fargo near the 5th Precinct. Hopefully it doesn't escalate too much. Might not be much longer before we see the police move in.