What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (1 Viewer)

####### shame what happened last night, the opportunity to make a real difference was presenting itself, now I feel that window may have been closed. This is why people protesting always enrage me. So often they have an opportunity, so rarely do they connect and execute properly. 

1)2 shot, one dead LEO in Oakland

2) Property damage everywhere

3) Looting and rioting

If you’re going to say it’s a small handful, save it... I don’t think any of the above will be overlooked by the general public and now the message is lost. Worst part is, this is playing right into Trump, he’s going to rally his base hard on this, played right into his hand. For all things he isn’t, he’s great at playing these games. Prob hoping for a repeat of last night one or two more times before declaring martial law, probably has his own video crew getting close to the action for a campaign commercial, and he will be the “hero” when he declares martial law and shuts this down with force. His lies about CV19 are already forgotten. He can also continue to shout about fake news with what happened at CNN in Atlanta.

What a ####### disaster; accomplished nothing, lost potential sympathizers, and helped Trump.

I’m failing to see how mass riots in the USA helps Trump? Especially when his tweets arguably instigated the situation.
Arguably if you just want to give criminals an excuse. As if this wasnt the inevitable conclusion. 

People acting like looting and vandalism doesnt happen every summer. The only difference is that they have an excuse to coordinate this time and do it on a grand scale. 

I’m failing to see how mass riots in the USA helps Trump? Especially when his tweets arguably instigated the situation.
For all I hate about him, I’ll admit he’s good at dividing and firing people up. How is he going to use lawlessness, property damage, looting, etc to fire up a group? Well, he’s going to claim anger about the media, he’s going to say that this was all actions by the Democrats and their followers, and he’s going to fire his base up. CV19 won’t even be on the agenda if this keeps up. I can keep going, but hopefully you get the idea.

The fact that some people don’t see how he’ll use it just speaks to how good he is at this stuff. That’s not a dig at any of them, sadly he’s a master at this stuff :kicksrock:

For all I hate about him, I’ll admit he’s good at dividing and firing people up. How is he going to use lawlessness, property damage, looting, etc to fire up a group? Well, he’s going to claim anger about the media, he’s going to say that this was all actions by the Democrats and their followers, and he’s going to fire his base up. CV19 won’t even be on the agenda if this keeps up. I can keep going, but hopefully you get the idea.

The fact that some people don’t see how he’ll use it just speaks to how good he is at this stuff. That’s not a dig at any of them, sadly he’s a master at this stuff :kicksrock:
I think you're overestimating him. For the first time in my adult life, I'll vote for a Democrat for the Oval Office. It's really that bad, and the numbers behind the numbers look worse for him.

I think you're overestimating him. For the first time in my adult life, I'll vote for a Democrat for the Oval Office. It's really that bad, and the numbers behind the numbers look worse for him.
I’ve come to the conclusion that there is nothing more dangerous than underestimating him. 

I’ve come to the conclusion that there is nothing more dangerous than underestimating him. 
I know what you're saying, but I think the more that people don't treat him like the clown and buffoon that he is and treat his voice with merit, he'll continue to appeal to about thirty-five percent of the electorate that likes that kind of idiocy. The rest basically tell him to stuff it. Taking him seriously is how we got into this mess in the first place. That's the media's fault. Then it becomes the DNC's fault for not even visiting Wisconsin on the campaign trail in '16, among other egregious things they did (like nominate the most unlikable candidate in history).

I know what you're saying, but I think the more that people don't treat him like the clown and buffoon that he is and treat his voice with merit, he'll continue to appeal to about thirty-five percent of the electorate that likes that kind of idiocy. The rest basically tell him to stuff it. Taking him seriously is how we got into this mess in the first place. That's the media's fault. Then it becomes the DNC's fault for not even visiting Wisconsin on the campaign trail in '16, among other egregious things they did (like nominate the most unlikable candidate in history).
He plays the us against them card. That’s the central theme. There’s his base, there are never Trumpers... those two are decided. He’ll use events like last night to swing some in between those two groups to the “us” side, while completely burying everything else.

Rioting and looting plays right into his hand, imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't let it get you too down. I still believe the overwhelming (and I mean overwhelming)  number of people in our country think cops killing people is a bad thing, stealing is bad, and just want their neighbors to be safe even if they may disagree politically, economically, and spiritually.
No, you have to pick a side.  Either a) you believe that cops murdering people is bad and therefore rioting and looting are good or b) you think that cops should kill everybody and also it is bad to burn down your local Target.  Sorry, but I don't make the rules. 

We'll see. Nothing would surprise me. The coroner's report imo is setting up a defense of he had preexisting conditions. The way it was written imo makes me think it's the police who hired him. I don't know. Too many times we've been surprised. I wouldn't be. I hope I'm wrong.
Oh come on

He plays the us against them card. That’s the central theme. There’s his base, there are never Trumpers... those two are decided. He’ll use events like last night to swing some to the “us” side, while completely burying everything else.

Rioting and looting plays right into his hand, imo.
Oh, sure. I'm aware of his tactic. It stopped working about two years ago, I think. Now everybody is just embarrassed by him. 

After watching Killer Mike speak about CNN and reading the last few posts about Trump. It’s the same game different sides.

Go ahead and replace CNN with Trump in Killer Mikes speech. Go ahead and replace Trump with CNN in the last few posts. It all reads the same.

Until spreading hate and dividing quits working to move ones agenda it will not stop. We the people need to stop letting others tell us what we should think and start deciding for ourselves. 

Pretty ####### depressing when your five year old daughter picks up enough from what’s going on to say “daddy, I don’t want the fires in Minneapolis and St. Paul to come to __________ (our suburb right next door).  I’m scared.”  
It would be much more depressing if you lived in Minny or St. Paul. Kids there have to be very scared..adults too.

After watching Killer Mike speak about CNN and reading the last few posts about Trump. It’s the same game different sides.

Go ahead and replace CNN with Trump in Killer Mikes speech. Go ahead and replace Trump with CNN in the last few posts. It all reads the same.

Until spreading hate and dividing quits working to move ones agenda it will not stop. We the people need to stop letting others tell us what we should think and start deciding for ourselves. 

Well said

Cable news it not really news anymore. It  has evolved into a propaganda machine that tries to distort people minds with their version of the news regardless of station.  Better off watching your local news.

Thus far Memphis seems to be doing it right, which is interesting giving the crime/racial issues here. 

Large protests, but from what I'm reading they're all peaceful marches. The main March stopped at each intersection for 9 minutes as a tribute.

Messaging on chants/signs seemed to be more "positive" (as positive as you can be with somethin like that), vs violent.

Some on-news comments: 

(Chant) “The people united will never be divided!!”  

(Interview) “This is is our city!  I’m not talking about this is the city that belong to all the black people. I’m not talking about this is the city that belong to all the white people. This city right here belongs to Memphis.”  Followed by a chant of “Memphis!!!!”

There’s a definite link between unemployment and social unrest.

https://www.epi.org/blog/link-joblessness-social-unrest/

I don’t think Killer Mike and the mayor of Atlanta are going to fix social unrest by telling people to go vote.

In the end, they are going to leave the press conference and go to their big homes, and the people in the streets are still out of work and angry at the shooting. 

The tragic killing in Minneapolis seems like a spark that lit on an unemployed population.  Maybe three months ago they would have gotten angry on twitter but gone to bed because they had work the next day.  When you’re out of work, you have less to lose.

Certainly there are many factors here, but it’s one I feel isn’t talked about enough.

Hopefully last night was the end of the anger and not the beginning.  

There’s a definite link between unemployment and social unrest.

https://www.epi.org/blog/link-joblessness-social-unrest/

I don’t think Killer Mike and the mayor of Atlanta are going to fix social unrest by telling people to go vote.

In the end, they are going to leave the press conference and go to their big homes, and the people in the streets are still out of work and angry at the shooting. 

The tragic killing in Minneapolis seems like a spark that lit on an unemployed population.  Maybe three months ago they would have gotten angry on twitter but gone to bed because they had work the next day.  When you’re out of work, you have less to lose.

Certainly there are many factors here, but it’s one I feel isn’t talked about enough.

Hopefully last night was the end of the anger and not the beginning.  
It shouldn’t be the end of the anger. It should however, be the end of the moronic behavior. 

No, you have to pick a side.  Either a) you believe that cops murdering people is bad and therefore rioting and looting are good or b) you think that cops should kill everybody and also it is bad to burn down your local Target.  Sorry, but I don't make the rules. 
This about sums up this forum and America right now.

I’ve heard zero talk about any serious conversations within leadership happening regarding addressing police brutality. Nothing about changing the training of the police force, nothing about implementing rigorous background checks to become a cop, nothing about harshly disciplining officers for EVERY instance of abusing their power, etc.

I mean what are we doing guys? People are getting killed, cities are being burnt down, small businesses are getting destroyed. How is leadership not taking a stand and laying out a plan to address police brutality? If the issue isn’t addressed, the same exact thing is going to happen next year, there will be more riots and we’ll have no one to blame but ourselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve heard zero talk about any serious conversations within leadership happening regarding addressing police brutality. Nothing about changing the training of the police force, nothing about implementing rigorous background checks to become a cop, nothing about harshly disciplining officers for EVERY instance of abusing their power, etc.

I mean what are we doing guys? People are getting killed, cities are being burnt down, small businesses are getting destroyed. How is leadership not taking a stand and laying out a plan to address police brutality? If the issue isn’t addressed, the same exact thing is going to happen next year, there will be more riots and we’ll have no one to blame but ourselves.
Really? Should I march down to Minneapolis City Hall and announce that I'm taking over because I blame myself for my heretofore inaction?

And the build-up in Detroit was similar to Minny. There was a ton of friction between the DPD and the citizens in '67. 
Yes, if history repeats Minny has a long road ahead to recovery if it ever happens.  Usually things get worse before better. 

There is a huge supplier event that Johnson Controls puts on every year in October.  It was going to be in Minny this year.  Last night I got an e-mail saying that the event will not be held in Minny this year. They will secure a different city and venue.  This is 2 days into the riots and a company has already planned on changing.  That does not bode well for the future.

So kneeling is bad.  BLM is bad.  Rioting is bad.

What is the "right" way to protest the execution of black people live on camera with no charges forthcoming?
Yep, whether they want to admit it or not, the people who trashed Kaepernick and didn’t take his protest seriously played a role in the events we’ve seen unfold over the past couple of days. 

Exactly. The governor and mayor are both Democrats. Republicans have shown almost no interest in correcting racial injustice, Democrats show slightly more interest but it usually amounts to lip service every 4 years when they need votes. Who are these people supposed to vote for then? 

Voting is important but it's not going to change much for this issue. 

Pretty ####### depressing when your five year old daughter picks up enough from what’s going on to say “daddy, I don’t want the fires in Minneapolis and St. Paul to come to __________ (our suburb right next door).  I’m scared.”  
My kids have similar feelings about Covid, and my wife and I have explained that we can take precautions about it. In the case of these riots, that's a trickier talk, but I'd suggest just talking to her about it, and go from there.

It’s very bad. Never has a blatant murder by a bad cop been so universally reviled . The peaceful protesters  are done a disservice by the rioters
True, but demilitarizing and retraining police would do a lot more to keep riots from getting set off. After all, they seem to happen after a cop oversteps their bounds, seems like changing the common denominator would be the best fix.

My kids have similar feelings about Covid, and my wife and I have explained that we can take precautions about it. In the case of these riots, that's a trickier talk, but I'd suggest just talking to her about it, and go from there.
Yeah, we’re very open and honest with out kids about all of this, including COVID.  It’s just really ####ty that we’re in 2020 and having to explain racism to our eight year old.

True, but demilitarizing and retraining police would do a lot more to keep riots from getting set off. After all, they seem to happen after a cop oversteps their bounds, seems like changing the common denominator would be the best fix.
I’ll guess most police in big cities aren’t tied to the communities they work in . There is no connection to the people that live there.  This has to be is a big issue with good and bad cops

Our leader is tweeting about how safe he is in his fortress. Instead of delivering healing words, policy, or anything useful during these trying times.

Users who are viewing this thread