What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (2 Viewers)

I understand why you think Kaepernick’s protest was ineffective and you make a good point as to that; I made a similar point at the time. But you haven’t really explained why you were offended by it. 
Happy to but that is a whole separate conversation. And like you I articulated those reasons ad nauseum while it was going on.

Abstract it out and the protestors are selling a product...that product being their message and cause...if some people are buying one version of it and not the other it's for them to figure out why and make the requisite adjustments...not to cram the unwanted version down their throats.

Disagreed, I think it’s relevant. The main focus of the protest is to bring attention to police brutality and that the police force needs to be revamped. Yes, a lot of the attention is on the fact that blacks are disproportionately the victims of police brutality, but at the end of the day everyone is looking for change within the police force. We want cops disciplined when they abuse their power (not just for murdering someone), we want cops to go through reformed training that teaches them to not use force or escalate situations, we want rigorous background checks that doesn’t allow cops who have a violent past or have extremist views to get through the system, we want cops to hold each other accountable and change the mentality within the police force. These are the things that need to happen if we want to see true change in regards to police brutality.
Yep

I'm honestly just worn out at this point, been running on 3-4 hours of sleep for the last 4 days, so I'm going to try to stay away for a bit for my own mental health, but I do want to say something this morning.

It is interesting to see some higher level semi-confirmation from Walz and the mayors that there are outside agitators involved in a lot of this. It is something that I began to suspect from watching livestreams last night -- small groups of unidentifiable white men systematically moving from building to building, breaking through the plywood lighting fires and yelling to get out and moving on. They were frequently confronted by people of color demanding to know why they were setting their community on fire, but would always just run on to the next area.

It certainly could be anarchists or other more radical left wing agitators -- we do have those types up here. But, to be frank, I'm socially adjacent to some people in that community. I would call several of them good friends. I have heard no calls for anything like this, no relishing the burning of our city. 

However, I'm becoming more and more concerned that it might be something a lot more nefarious, and with potential to be a much bigger problem for our country. I've seen some other people mention it, but there's a growing movement online to organize and kick off a second Civil War. Bellingcat has a very long, excellent article detailing what these groups are and how they proliferate (it isn't just right wing militia types, though they are heavily represented). Near the end, there's some picture and text evidence from one of these "Boogaloo" groups showing that they are in Minneapolis and attempting to make this happen. 

I'd also remind everyone that a white supremacist from Bloomington and his buddies were sentenced in 2017 for shooting protesters at the 4th Precinct BLM encampment for Jamar Clark in 2015. So we do have some unfortunate recent history on exactly this kind of thing. 

Walz has said that they have received intelligence from Federal authorities about white supremacists operating in the area, and also said that the identities of those arrested would be made public. I'll be interested to see that information when it is available.

I never cared who kneeled but how did that kneeling protest work out for Mr. Floyd? During that time people were still getting beat and shot by police as nothing changed.  People can kneel all they want on TV as that is the easy part.  The hard part is on the actual streets.  Kneeling does nothing to prevent what happens in the streets every day.
CK's and other athletes "peaceful protests" were meant to cast light on what they perceived/knew about relations sometimes between law enforcement and minorities.  I'd imagine an argument could be made that if, the target audience for those "protests" (i.e. ......people who either don't know about the sometimes tenuous relationship between law enforement/minorities or hadn't had a similar experience with law enforcement that the athletes or people they knew had)... instead of complaining that their "OmG!.....MY HoLe SuNDAe FoOTBaLl ExPeRiEnCE Is RUinEEED!".....actually took a moment to listen (and maybe reflect and act on it)....... Mr. Floyd wouldn't have died.

I know there are manipulative ##### in that rioting crowd that have no interest in the social issue at hand.  There are people who just want free stuff....people who want to watch the world burn.  But there are real people who are protesting (and I'm sure the rioting) who are thinking to themselves..."if people who could help us make a difference complained so much when men who they cheer for, invite into their homes every week and love for what the do in a game...how else can we do for them to take notice?"  

This is a prime example of why it is so hard to follow stories via social media these days. I’ve read everything from Antifa to white supremecists to undercover cops are getting involved in this chaos.

would love some clarity from officials. 

CK's and other athletes "peaceful protests" were meant to cast light on what they perceived/knew about relations sometimes between law enforcement and minorities.  I'd imagine an argument could be made that if, the target audience for those "protests" (i.e. ......people who either don't know about the sometimes tenuous relationship between law enforement/minorities or hadn't had a similar experience with law enforcement that the athletes or people they knew had)... instead of complaining that their "OmG!.....MY HoLe SuNDAe FoOTBaLl ExPeRiEnCE Is RUinEEED!".....actually took a moment to listen (and maybe reflect and act on it)....... Mr. Floyd wouldn't have died.

I know there are manipulative ##### in that rioting crowd that have no interest in the social issue at hand.  There are people who just want free stuff....people who want to watch the world burn.  But there are real people who are protesting (and I'm sure the rioting) who are thinking to themselves..."if people who could help us make a difference complained so much when men who they cheer for, invite into their homes every week and love for what the do in a game...how else can we do for them to take notice?"  
This is beating a dead horse.   honestly I could care lees if the whole team kneels, it is irrelevant to me in terms of watching a football game.  The message for the kneeling protest was lost about 2 weeks in and then it was perceived only as a NA protest.  I never heard any talk about the reason they first started sitting or kneeling.

So when the message is lost and narrative is changed you need to be creative and find a new avenue to get your message across.

Can you link to someone saying this?  I've literally never encountered anybody like you're describing.
There are way too many posts and posters to sift through on this forum to go back 1, 2, 3, or more years even using keyword searches (although I haven't tried) however:

- “I think you’d have riots,” Trump told CNN on Wednesday.

- Violence in the name of Trump

- Riots aren't necessarily a bad thing.

I'm not going to go through all of Facebook, YouTube, and other social media sites but I'm sure Alex Jones and others had plenty to say when it comes to fighting or taking up arms if certain situations arose. Not to mention, Trump's own, "2nd Amendment people," is not a call for a silent protest.

And, just today...Trump White House dogs... this is advocating his own type of violence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disagreed, I think it’s relevant. The main focus of the protest is to bring attention to police brutality and that the police force needs to be revamped. Yes, a lot of the attention is on the fact that blacks are disproportionately the victims of police brutality, but at the end of the day everyone is looking for change within the police force. We want cops disciplined when they abuse their power (not just for murdering someone), we want cops to go through reformed training that teaches them to not use force or escalate situations, we want rigorous background checks that doesn’t allow cops who have a violent past or have extremist views to get through the system, we want cops to hold each other accountable and change the mentality within the police force. These are the things that need to happen if we want to see true change in regards to police brutality.
If you were to take a poll of the protestors and ask them, “are you protesting against police treatment of blacks, or police brutality in general against everyone?” I don’t think a whole lot of them would choose door #2. 

If you were to take a poll of the protestors and ask them, “are you protesting against police treatment of blacks, or police brutality in general against everyone?” I don’t think a whole lot of them would choose door #2. 
Yes, you are pointing out a major flaw and why they will be less successful.  I mean, why exclude 70% of the population from your cause??

I'm honestly just worn out at this point, been running on 3-4 hours of sleep for the last 4 days, so I'm going to try to stay away for a bit for my own mental health, but I do want to say something this morning.

It is interesting to see some higher level semi-confirmation from Walz and the mayors that there are outside agitators involved in a lot of this. It is something that I began to suspect from watching livestreams last night -- small groups of unidentifiable white men systematically moving from building to building, breaking through the plywood lighting fires and yelling to get out and moving on. They were frequently confronted by people of color demanding to know why they were setting their community on fire, but would always just run on to the next area.

It certainly could be anarchists or other more radical left wing agitators -- we do have those types up here. But, to be frank, I'm socially adjacent to some people in that community. I would call several of them good friends. I have heard no calls for anything like this, no relishing the burning of our city. 

However, I'm becoming more and more concerned that it might be something a lot more nefarious, and with potential to be a much bigger problem for our country. I've seen some other people mention it, but there's a growing movement online to organize and kick off a second Civil War. Bellingcat has a very long, excellent article detailing what these groups are and how they proliferate (it isn't just right wing militia types, though they are heavily represented). Near the end, there's some picture and text evidence from one of these "Boogaloo" groups showing that they are in Minneapolis and attempting to make this happen. 

I'd also remind everyone that a white supremacist from Bloomington and his buddies were sentenced in 2017 for shooting protesters at the 4th Precinct BLM encampment for Jamar Clark in 2015. So we do have some unfortunate recent history on exactly this kind of thing. 

Walz has said that they have received intelligence from Federal authorities about white supremacists operating in the area, and also said that the identities of those arrested would be made public. I'll be interested to see that information when it is available.
It has to be considered a possibility. I find it interesting that people on both sides of the political spectrum seem to think this might be happening. There was a video that a young black guy posted last night where he showed a big pallet of bricks in the middle of Dallas.  He was asking where it came from?

Trump is also tweeting about it

I’m sure you’re right given these protests are around the most recent case of Floyd and the fact that blacks are disproportionately effected by it, but I also think the majority of protestors would agree that police brutality must be addressed for all victims.

He’s wrong. And this blaming the news media is irrational and incredibly dangerous to a civilized society. 
How is he wrong?   I think this man hit the nail on the head but it is a conversation you are not comfortable having.

The media never covers black cops killing blacks, white cops killing whites.  Black cops beating blacks, white cops beating whites. If they do it is a little blurb where races are not mentioned.

Do you notice the races are only mentioned when a white cop shoots a black person?  Why would that be?  To promote racial harmony?

Yes, you are pointing out a major flaw and why they will be less successful.  I mean, why exclude 70% of the population from your cause??
Because blacks are the ones being subjected to racism. And I’m not excluded from their cause. Just because I’m not a victim of racism doesn’t mean I have no urge to fight it. 

How is he wrong?   I think this man hit the nail on the head but it is a conversation you are not comfortable having.

The media never covers black cops killing blacks, white cops killing whites.  Black cops beating blacks, white cops beating whites. If they do it is a little blurb where races are not mentioned.

Do you notice the races are only mentioned when a white cop shoots a black person?  Why would that be?  To promote racial harmony?
I’m not uncomfortable at all about the conversation. But it’s wrong. 

The reason that black cops killing blacks and white cops killing whites and black cops killing whites are rarely covered is because they’re not part of the systemic racism that exists in this country. The media didn’t create that racism nor do they hype it up. They report it, and the anguish and anger that follows, because it exists. 

I’d grant you that any anarchists that slipped in were probably only there to destroy.  But there seem to be plenty others that want reform and change.
I'm operating on the idea we've made a general distinction between the two in this discussion - like the governor and mayors have.

Because blacks are the ones being subjected to racism. And I’m not excluded from their cause. Just because I’m not a victim of racism doesn’t mean I have no urge to fight it. 
Everyone suffers from poor policing.  I know it doesn’t count to you, but the video linked earlier of the white man killed was worse than Floyd.  They mocked him as he died.  Thats wrong whatever color you are.

At end of day if you want to win a fight be smart about it, not being inclusive of a huge part of the population is not smart.  It’s how you lose, but it all does make for better headlines on CNN.

There seems to be a feeling among some people here that if the media didn’t report these type of stories (white cops mistreating or killing blacks) all would be good. There would be no protests, no riots, no outrage. This is pure fantasy, and it’s ignorant of 150 years of American history. 

Everyone suffers from poor policing.  I know it doesn’t count to you, but the video linked earlier of the white man killed was worse than Floyd.  They mocked him as he died.  Thats wrong whatever color you are.

At end of day if you want to win a fight be smart about it, not being inclusive of a huge part of the population is not smart.  It’s how you lose, but it all does make for better headlines on CNN.
We don’t not have a general problem of police mistreatment in this country. As a general rule while people are treated great by police. When I am stopped by a policeman I feel totally safe. I have no fear of being shot. I don’t have to give my kids “the talk”. It’s minorities who have something to fear, not the general population. 

I'm not a social media guy, have a few sports related boards I visit and that's pretty much it, but that Bellingcat link you shared.   I'm speechless, had no idea.  Don't even know what to say other than thanks for sharing.  

We don’t not have a general problem of police mistreatment in this country. As a general rule while people are treated great by police. When I am stopped by a policeman I feel totally safe. I have no fear of being shot. I don’t have to give my kids “the talk”. It’s minorities who have something to fear, not the general population. 
Tell that to the dead dude in the video you dismissed.

There seems to be a feeling among some people here that if the media didn’t report these type of stories (white cops mistreating or killing blacks) all would be good. There would be no protests, no riots, no outrage. This is pure fantasy, and it’s ignorant of 150 years of American history. 
It’s not that I don’t think they should be reported, it that I think all egregious police brutality should be reported, regardless of race. 

We shouldn't have to keep repeating this but some people apparently won't ever get it.

I'm operating on the idea we've made a general distinction between the two in this discussion - like the governor and mayors have.
There are a lot more than two groups here.  It would be disingenuous to say that there aren’t people there to destroy.  

It’s also disingenuous to say that many of the angry people don’t want reform. 

But then I’m not them, and I probably shouldn’t speak for what they want.  

As a parent I taught my kids to always keep their hands in sight in the wheel and yes sir no sir . Don’t argue . Sorry but there are too many people that love power 

Yes we do, just because you have privilege and never experienced it doesn't mean it's not there. 

That 80% were out of state. 
The protests were nationwide.  I don’t get the out of state thing and why it matters.

I tend to think it’s political posturing. “Our City is great we would never do this, it’s all those people from other cities and states coming here”

I don’t buy it.  But again, even if it’s true, a lot of it is just people flocking to an area where something bad happened that angered them.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not uncomfortable at all about the conversation. But it’s wrong. 

The reason that black cops killing blacks and white cops killing whites and black cops killing whites are rarely covered is because they’re not part of the systemic racism that exists in this country. The media didn’t create that racism nor do they hype it up. They report it, and the anguish and anger that follows, because it exists. 
So there is a justified police shooting and the story starts or headlines read "White cop shoots black man"  then goes on to tell the story.  That is good reporting? If there is a justified shooting why do we need to know the races of the shooter or the person shot?

And black people hate you.  And don't say "But I have a black friend"  I am talking in general.
According to CNN’s Van Jones, he fits this mold perfect being a white Hillary Clinton voter.

CNN’s Van Jones said a “white, liberal Hillary Clinton supporter” could pose a bigger threat to African Americans than the Ku Klux Klan on Friday morning when discussing the state of race relations in the United States following the violent protests that erupted in Minneapolis, and the false accusations made against an African-American man by a white woman in Central Park in New York City.

“It’s not the racist white person, who is in the Ku Klux Klan that we have to worry about. It’s the white, liberal Hillary Clinton supporter walking her dog in Central Park who would tell you right now, 'Oh I don’t see race, race is no big deal to me, I see all people the same, I give to charities’ but the minute she sees as black man who she does not respect, or who she has a slight thought against, she weaponized race like she had been taught by the Aryan Nation,” Jones said. “A Klan member could not have been better trained to pick up her phone and tell the police it’s a black man.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/media/cnn-van-jones-white-liberal-hillary-clinton-supporter-scarier-kkk.amp

This is simply awful. Yes I want change. Yes I want an end to systemic racism, But burning things down and anarchy will never achieve that. 
And it makes no sense. You burn down some small business: a nail salon, an insurance office, a dry cleaners: how is that fighting against government oppression? 
The same way destroying the private property of the East India company was. 

Not claiming that race isn't a compounding factor, but many poor whites do not feel they are safe when stopped by a policemen or believe they are treated well by police in general.

The protests were nationwide.  I don’t get the out of state thing and why it matters.

I tend to think it’s political posturing. “Our City is great we would never do this, it’s all those people from other cities and states coming here”

I don’t buy it.  But again, even if it’s true, a lot of it is just people flocking to an area where something bad happened that angered them.  
Ding ding ding. 

People got stupid in MKE last night. It wasnt people from out of state. It wasnt antifa. It wasnt white supremacists. 

It was the same people that would have gone and stolen a car in the burbs or trashed a local business with a few of their friends. 

They just happen to all be together last night so the mob mentality made it worse and focused on one place. 

Users who are viewing this thread