Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
In The Zone

Another killing at the hands of the Police

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Feels like war doesnt it?  

Sure does. 

3 minutes ago, Nipsey said:

I can smell the fires in my apartment. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rochester NY and the surrounding county on an 8 PM curfew. Rochester had a couple bad riots back in the 60s. Some light damage today.

I wonder if there's any China money involved. Xi Jinping has to love what's going on. Dropping HK issues below the fold for international papers. Causing the USA to look tremendously hypocritical after the Friday presser.

Between Covid and the HK kerfluffle, the protesting-looting couldn't have come at a worse time. Ironically, I don't think there's been a better time to be black in America.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Feels like war doesnt it?  

I dont own a gun. Seriously considering it after this though. Nobody is going to burn my home or business. 

No, not really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MPD really not helping their image with the handling of press tonight during the crackdown. Press are explicitly exempt from the curfew order, btw.

Journalist was sheltering at a gas station with other press. MPD rolls in, man yells back that he's press as they aim at him, MPD officer yells back "I don't care" and orders them all down on the ground and they comply. As the journalist is held on the ground, another MPD officer comes up and maces him in the face.

They also shot a WCCO reporter with a marker round/rubber bullet and arrested him earlier in the evening.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WDIK2 said:

No, not really.

You should get out more. 

11 minutes ago, Nipsey said:

Whole area is like a bomb went off.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

MPD really not helping their image with the handling of press tonight during the crackdown. Press are explicitly exempt from the curfew order, btw.

Journalist was sheltering at a gas station with other press. MPD rolls in, man yells back that he's press as they aim at him, MPD officer yells back "I don't care" and orders them all down on the ground and they comply. As the journalist is held on the ground, another MPD officer comes up and maces him in the face.

They also shot a WCCO reporter with a marker round/rubber bullet and arrested him earlier in the evening.

Right. I think we ought to concentrate on the couple of bystanders that got hit by friendly fire with rubber bullets. They are the real victims in all of this. 

Edited by tonydead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ray McKigney said:

Or a 5' 1" 105 lb woman locking up her business to go home for the day. 

How does Tanner get so many gosh darned aliases?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

MPD really not helping their image with the handling of press tonight during the crackdown. Press are explicitly exempt from the curfew order, btw.

Journalist was sheltering at a gas station with other press. MPD rolls in, man yells back that he's press as they aim at him, MPD officer yells back "I don't care" and orders them all down on the ground and they comply. As the journalist is held on the ground, another MPD officer comes up and maces him in the face.

They also shot a WCCO reporter with a marker round/rubber bullet and arrested him earlier in the evening.

This is terrible obviously, but in the "fog of war" how are the police supposed to know? I am thinking the press should probably have vests issued like the big red cross for medical or something that identifies them, so the police can know who is who. I mean let's be honest, I am blogger and out in this--I am not press, I am just a guy with an iphone. 

edit--your last post clarifies things--I stand corrected.

Edited by Courtjester
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GROOT said:

You might have posted the entire video (unless you were looking for a reaction).

Dude initiated the confrontation and was chasing people with a sword: https://twitter.com/oracularrevenge/status/1266961337336414209

Edited by Encyclopedia Brown
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

You might have posted the entire video (unless you were looking for a reaction).

Dude initiated the confrontation and was chasing people with a sword: https://twitter.com/1EMOzone/status/1266961880674824192

Seems like a lot to unpack but seems like he was trying to protect his small business? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

You might have posted the entire video (unless you were looking for a reaction).

Dude initiated the confrontation and was chasing people with a sword: https://twitter.com/1EMOzone/status/1266961880674824192

And got hit with a brick while laying on the ground unconscious and then looks to be robbed? Might want to choose a different hill to die on there. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

You might have posted the entire video (unless you were looking for a reaction).

Dude initiated the confrontation and was chasing people with a sword: https://twitter.com/oracularrevenge/status/1266961337336414209

my wife pointed me to this other vid.  also said the guy got to a hospital and sounds like he'll be ok.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like the pandemic, tonight appears to be something new. I don’t think even in the 60s did we have so many riots break out at once on the same night. They were mostly scattered- Newark for a few weeks, then Detroit, etc. The night after Martin Luther King was killed there were various cities that were in flames, but I don’t think it was anything like this. 
 

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, timschochet said:

Like the pandemic, tonight appears to be something new. I don’t think even in the 60s did we have so many riots break out at once on the same night. They were mostly scattered- Newark for a few weeks, then Detroit, etc. The night after Martin Luther King was killed there were various cities that were in flames, but I don’t think it was anything like this. 
 

Well, we do live in the era of instant information.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, timschochet said:

Like the pandemic, tonight appears to be something new. I don’t think even in the 60s did we have so many riots break out at once on the same night. They were mostly scattered- Newark for a few weeks, then Detroit, etc. The night after Martin Luther King was killed there were various cities that were in flames, but I don’t think it was anything like this. 
 

Because this is the "me" generation---I want to get this on Tic Toc so I can get hits.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

MPD really not helping their image with the handling of press tonight during the crackdown. Press are explicitly exempt from the curfew order, btw.

Journalist was sheltering at a gas station with other press. MPD rolls in, man yells back that he's press as they aim at him, MPD officer yells back "I don't care" and orders them all down on the ground and they comply. As the journalist is held on the ground, another MPD officer comes up and maces him in the face.

They also shot a WCCO reporter with a marker round/rubber bullet and arrested him earlier in the evening.

The one thing the police, protesters and rioters all seems to share is a contempt for the media that at times borders on hatred. It’s one of the most disturbing aspects of this IMO. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Strangely, I have found myself agreeing with Fox News a few times today. Particularly, the whole epidemic thing seems to have taken a backseat. I know that this is about more than one person and is a societal thing. But it seems like we forgot about what has caused 100k deaths in the country when we have something better to worry about. Particularly, we can't get together in groups more than a handful for normal course of business but for protesting and looting, we don't seem to care about social distancing. It does seem like hypocritical. 

Edited by sporthenry
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, timschochet said:

The one thing the police, protesters and rioters all seems to share is a contempt for the media that at times borders on hatred. It’s one of the most disturbing aspects of this IMO. 

I don;t know how some of them haven't been killed. The video of the Fox crew last night trying to get out of the middle of that one riot was terrifying. They were carrying the one reporter and people were hitting them with objects from behind.....

The CNN reporter tonight was reporting on a fire and was getting shoved around like crazy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SayWhat? said:

How much greater than?  100%?

Oops 🤓

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, timschochet said:

The one thing the police, protesters and rioters all seems to share is a contempt for the media that at times borders on hatred. It’s one of the most disturbing aspects of this IMO. 

It might be the only good thing that comes of this. Besides normal people's contempt for extreme leftists. 

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sporthenry said:

Strangely, I have found myself agreeing with Fox News a few times today. Particularly, the whole epidemic thing seems to have taken a backseat. I know that this is about more than one person and is a societal thing. But it seems like we forgot about what has caused 100k deaths in the country when we have something better to worry about. Particularly, we can't get together in groups more than a handful for normal course of business but for protesting and looting, we don't seem to care about social distancing. It does seem like a hypocrisy. 

I wonder if it isn’t related. I know a lot of times riots in the past have been blamed on the heat of summer. In this case people have been cooped up in their homes for the last few months and I think that has spurred some of them on. 
But the virus hasn’t gone away. And if people get sick as a result of tonight it will be worse than before. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tonydead said:

It might be the only good thing that comes of this. Besides normal people's contempt for extreme leftists. 

I don’t think it’s good. I think it’s terrible and I think it’s terrible that you think it’s good. 
As for your use of “extreme leftists” rather than just “extremists”, it’s really pathetic that you and others insist on keeping score. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Courtjester said:

I don;t know how some of them haven't been killed. The video of the Fox crew last night trying to get out of the middle of that one riot was terrifying. They were carrying the one reporter and people were hitting them with objects from behind.....

The CNN reporter tonight was reporting on a fire and was getting shoved around like crazy. 

Was saying how brave the news lady was on the local channel tonight. Pretty tense when the "protesters" were shoving their middle fingers into the camera. I imagined a very large guy holding the camera for some reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, timschochet said:

I don’t think it’s good. I think it’s terrible and I think it’s terrible that you think it’s good. 
As for your use of “extreme leftists” rather than just “extremists”, it’s really pathetic that you and others insist on keeping score. 

ACAB.  F 12.  There arent two teams playing in this. It's pretty sad for those pretending there are. 

I get it. Fundamentalist Mormons arent really Mormons anymore. But you have to call them what they are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I wonder if it isn’t related. I know a lot of times riots in the past have been blamed on the heat of summer. In this case people have been cooped up in their homes for the last few months and I think that has spurred some of them on. 
But the virus hasn’t gone away. And if people get sick as a result of tonight it will be worse than before. 

Oh yeah, no doubt that probably contributed. I’m sure a lot of folks took some frustration or anger out from the pandemic through this. I know some scoffed at the guy on CNN and he probably used some extreme language but I’m sure some of it is people feeling economically disenfranchised. I probably simplify things too much to economic opportunities but on the whole, like to think people wouldn’t behave this way if they had better options. 
 

But just as I find it sick that Fox News is pretty much giddy, going around the country looking for fires. CNN seemed just as giddy to find places that reopened and had spikes of coronavirus. I haven’t watched CNN all weekend, but as one person on Fox said, it is telling that we arrested church leaders or small business owners over the past few weeks for breaking lockdown but just let this stuff happen. I’m not religious nor a small business owner but it would seem to show hypocrisy when it comes to handling coronavirus. 

Edited by sporthenry
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This country is a mess. No one seems to learn. We become more of what’s wrong with us individually. We’ll all dig in here.

Edited by Mr. Ham
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

President Trump calling out the failed Democrat leaders in this country in real time is amazing foresight. It’s basically free advertising in November.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Now Santa Ana (in Orange County) has gotten violent. Looting and burning and police attacked: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ocregister.com/2020/05/30/protesters-in-santa-ana-throw-fireworks-and-explosives-at-police-officers-declare-an-unlawful-assembly/amp/

Very few blacks live there; it’s largely Hispanic. 

Looking at the (then) peaceful crowds earlier in the day on Fairfax, they were young people (mostly under 35) predominantly white, or white and Hispanic, and not as many blacks as I would have expected.

Edited by squistion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Widbil83 said:

President Trump calling out the failed Democrat leaders in this country in real time is amazing foresight. It’s basically free advertising in November.

As someone said earlier, people are just going to go back to their corners. 
 

Not exactly like Trump is a bastion of leadership or unity and it should in theory start at the top. Each side is just going to point the finger though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sporthenry said:

As someone said earlier, people are just going to go back to their corners. 
 

Not exactly like Trump is a bastion of leadership or unity and it should in theory start at the top. Each side is just going to point the finger though. 

Have you thought about which cities this is happening in and if they are red or blue states?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looting still going on everywhere out here. Arrests all over the place. National Guard here momentarily.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nipsey said:

Looting still going on everywhere out here. Arrests all over the place. National Guard here momentarily.

Be safe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

Unicorn. j/k

It's like the black person who told the reporter "please tell them that all the black people arent looting"  think about that for a second. 

Seriously though. 20 people just standing there with their phones out hoping something happens.  That should be the bigger story here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, tonydead said:

ACAB.  F 12.  There arent two teams playing in this. It's pretty sad for those pretending there are. 

I get it. Fundamentalist Mormons arent really Mormons anymore. But you have to call them what they are. 

Either you’re drunk or acting incredibly dense. You think that just because they are spray painting those messages that they couldn’t possibly be right-wing protesters pretending to be left-wing to make them look worse? There are several reports stating that it is outside actors from both extremes trying to exploit this situation, cause chaos and discredit the message of the peaceful protests.

It’s quite ridiculous that you think that it couldn’t be right-wing extremists just because they are spray painting F 12 and ACAB.

As far as I’m concerned, the protests that happen during the day and the riots at night are two completely separate entities. There are bad actors that cross between the groups but for the most part they don’t want any part of the other. Rioters care little about the peaceful protests and vise versa.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

NM

Edited by Tecumseh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

These "protests" are just proving cops arent actually the biggest problem in this country. 

This is a policing problem. Its been flatly obvious and far too often ignored.  

  • Like 6
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Unicorn. j/k

It's like the black person who told the reporter "please tell them that all the black people arent looting"  think about that for a second. 

Seriously though. 20 people just standing there with their phones out hoping something happens.  That should be the bigger story here. 

that’s the last post I’ll ever read from you.  Cheers.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Seriously though. 20 people just standing there with their phones out hoping something happens.  

Are they black?  If so that may the safest/smartest thing they could do... record.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tonydead said:

It might be the only good thing that comes of this. Besides normal people's contempt for extreme leftists. 

:yawn:

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SayWhat? said:

No, not typically. But it’s not typically illegal to be outside past 8pm.  Tonight, it is.  That said, seems a bit over the top in terms of aggressiveness.

Did the curfew order specify that you couldn't be outside or that you couldn't be in a public place?  They are on private property.  LEO continuing to reinforce the stereotype.  Repeatedly.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not all awful.

 

https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1266924387795709954

Some protestors in Brooklyn calling to loot the Target, but organizers are rushing in front of the store to stop them, keep things non-violent #nycprotest

 

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1266737051757617155

As riots in Minneapolis continue, a center for low-income housing put out a call asking for food donations. This is how people responded. There was so much food it became a distribution center for anyone — at all — who needed it. Humanity.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.