What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (8 Viewers)

It's not all awful.

https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1266924387795709954

Some protestors in Brooklyn calling to loot the Target, but organizers are rushing in front of the store to stop them, keep things non-violent #nycprotest

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1266737051757617155

As riots in Minneapolis continue, a center for low-income housing put out a call asking for food donations. This is how people responded. There was so much food it became a distribution center for anyone — at all — who needed it. Humanity.

We need more of this.

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1266895422397779968

In New Jersey police have literally started marching with protesters.

#BLACK_LIVES_MATTER

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1266926177878519809

Oh my God it’s happening in Flint too.

Protesters chanted: “WALK WITH US!!”

So the sheriff and his men joined the protest.

#GeorgeFloydProtests
This is what we need. Stop protecting the bad apples. Quit giving them the security that you’ve got their back if they do something wrong. Change will only start to happen if it comes from within the police force.

This is how justice is dished out properly. You assault a cop, you deserve what happens to you. 

https://twitter.com/inthecopa/status/1266705240927072256
While I don’t disagree with the premise entirely, I think this is a big part of the problem. There are 3 armed officers vs 1 woman, and the answer was to sucker punch her in the temple rather than restrain and arrest. She looks out cold, dude that hit her was huge. The officer she hit wasn’t badly hurt or anything, there are lots of ways to handle this other than resorting to punching her. 

We need more of this.

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1266895422397779968

In New Jersey police have literally started marching with protesters.

#BLACK_LIVES_MATTER

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1266926177878519809

Oh my God it’s happening in Flint too.

Protesters chanted: “WALK WITH US!!”

So the sheriff and his men joined the protest.

#GeorgeFloydProtests
I can tell you every organizational group i have seen has been for this.  Please do not knock the entire protest because some idiots decided to take it to the next level.  Also I’m seeing slot of non black people doing the escalations in some of these protests.  Some even being named(not sure if true) as cops.  

this is what happens when you let issues fester and go unaddressed.  Maybe a lot of the folks in this thread will keep that same energy and use it towards some of the injustice that is happening to black folks in the country.   :unsure: i won’t hold my breath though.  

https://streamable.com/u2jzoo

Enough with these 'antifa extremists' that hate America standing on their porch 
Again, one officer couldn’t be spared to walk up and address them like people? 

“Hi, we really want everyone inside at this time, could you guys be good citizens and help us out here? It’s a dangerous situation and we want you to be safe.”

It’s also kind of a bad look having a line of armed men storming down the street hollering at people who are at home. Who came up with that plan? What would have happened if they remained on their porch? You going to arrest them? Fire tear gas at their house? “Light em up” some more? I don’t support looting and vandalism, and I don’t support this crap either. 

Our Dem governor Andy Beshear has become a bit of an icon around here for his covid/lockdown response.  Lot of women on facebook swooned and made little Andy Beshear templates to put their photo on.  He has a gentle Mr. Rogers cadence in his press conferences.  

Apparently he coordinated with Louisville mayor to install a national guard presence here to 'keep us safe'.  Journalists have been shot at, cops have destroyed supplies and stolen bottled water, protesters have been assaulted.  Is this the sort of wholesome response people can look forward to?  

Again, one officer couldn’t be spared to walk up and address them like people? 

“Hi, we really want everyone inside at this time, could you guys be good citizens and help us out here? It’s a dangerous situation and we want you to be safe.”

It’s also kind of a bad look having a line of armed men storming down the street hollering at people who are at home. Who came up with that plan? What would have happened if they remained on their porch? You going to arrest them? Fire tear gas at their house? “Light em up” some more? I don’t support looting and vandalism, and I don’t support this crap either. 
Straight from the curfew FAQ on mn.gov:

“Can I be outside my house (on my property) after 8 p.m. and before 6 a.m.?

Yes.”

:shrug:

This is what we need. Stop protecting the bad apples. Quit giving them the security that you’ve got their back if they do something wrong. Change will only start to happen if it comes from within the police force.
That reminds me, we need to talk about this whole "protecting our own no matter what" idea that law enforcement apparently has, because that does not exist in the electrical field. We treat every repair as though the previous worker had no blessed clue what they were doing, and we double and triple check everything, because if we don't, someone could die from our own negligence. Now if we have to do this, why can't the police hold each other accountable to help save lives?

irish eyes said:
And how would you choose to refer to the ones looting and seriously injuring people for NO REASON. But no one has a problem with calling the president every disrespectful word in dictionary.  I have no problems with actual protestors just the criminals. But no one pays attention, Try again.
I’d call them human beings.

Jesus Christ dude, it’s not 1957 anymore.

Time to evolve.

I can only imagine what a delight this thread is 

It's a sad situation and it's been boiling over for awhile now

Also credit where it's due...of course isolated incidents like shooting whatever it was at someone on their porch and knocking over an old guy with a cane notwithstanding - thank God for the police and National Guard. 

Without them, the criminal elements in these mobs would still be looting and burning - and probably worse. These people didn't become like this because of any one event. They're always there. And it's the Thin Blue Line that protects us from them. I'm sure they wish the Derek Chauvin's of the world weren't among their ranks as well since guys like him make their jobs more dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like America has been telling the entire black community to “just step aside” while they kill countless innocent black people, for far too long. This entire situation is awful, but it’s time for a change. Is this the answer for change? I’m not sure. But peacefully kneeling at football games seemed to be an issue. It seems like we are out of options. What happened to the store owners is awful. But what happened to George Floyd and countless other black Americans is far worse. 

It seems like America has been telling the entire black community to “just step aside” while they kill countless innocent black people, for far too long. This entire situation is awful, but it’s time for a change. Is this the answer for change? I’m not sure. But peacefully kneeling at football games seemed to be an issue. It seems like we are out of options. What happened to the store owners is awful. But what happened to George Floyd and countless other black Americans is far worse. 
Stop comparing the acts and justifying one act because another is worse.  They are both terrible.  Just like the rioters and the bad cops are.   The rioters are going to end up losing the message of the protesters in the end again.  But at least they got free shoes and a phone

If you think that killing innocent black people is bad, then it shouldn't be that hard to affirm that beating innocent third parties with 2x4s is also bad without resorting to whataboutism. 

Also, the race of the assailants isn't obvious in that video.

Courtjester said:
I don;t know how some of them haven't been killed. The video of the Fox crew last night trying to get out of the middle of that one riot was terrifying. They were carrying the one reporter and people were hitting them with objects from behind.....

The CNN reporter tonight was reporting on a fire and was getting shoved around like crazy. 
Hmmmmmm. For those wondering who's behind such well coordinated chaos............

I'm kidding. I think.

What does that have to do with my post?

Those people are criminals. Criminals who should be in jail.

Not animals.
Not subhuman.

People.
These were business owners who attempted to deescalate and were beaten for their trouble. You stated the idea that business owners can defend their property is disgusting. So what else is there for a business owner to do?

We have a False Equivalence on the field...  :penalty:

Stop comparing the acts and justifying one act because another is worse.  They are both terrible.  Just like the rioters and the bad cops are.   The rioters are going to end up losing the message of the protesters in the end again.  But at least they got free shoes and a phone
Then don’t let the message get lost.  There will always be someone that wants to disrupt the protest of make it look different or twist the message.  None of the riots take away from the message those of us protesting are delivering.

These were business owners who attempted to deescalate and were beaten for their trouble. You stated the idea that business owners can defend their property is disgusting. So what else is there for a business owner to do?
I feel like insurance would cover a business in this situation, or at least it should. I might be wrong, though.

Then don’t let the message get lost.  There will always be someone that wants to disrupt the protest of make it look different or twist the message.  None of the riots take away from the message those of us protesting are delivering.
So when you loved the post above where the poster said he wasn’t sure if the violence against those shop keepers was the answer or not - what message were you trying to send?

Also credit where it's due...of course isolated incidents like shooting whatever it was at someone on their porch and knocking over an old guy with a cane notwithstanding - thank God for the police and National Guard. 

Without them, the criminal elements in these mobs would still be looting and burning - and probably worse. These people didn't become like this because of any one event. They're always there. And it's the Thin Blue Line that protects us from them. I'm sure they wish the Derek Chauvin's of the world weren't among their ranks as well since guys like him make their jobs more dangerous.
There were 3 other officers that stood around and watched as Chauvin murdered a man. There were about 20 officers marching down the street that directly violated the explicit guidance/orders and opened fire on folks peacefully standing on their own porch. Officers arrested a CNN news crew for simply reporting what was going on and then repeatedly lied about the motivation.

Chauvin is definitely proving NOT to be a one off. This is clearly a systemic issue.

The rioters are going to end up losing the message of the protesters in the end again.  
This is, sadly, exactly right. 

In 1992, the message was justice for those who beat up Rodney King. Then Reginald Denny, an innocent white truck driver, was dragged out of his truck and beaten. And the original message was lost. 

You’re not sure? Seriously? 

meanwhile 

https://www.thv11.com/article/life/hundreds-demand-justice-during-peaceful-protests-in-little-rock/91-3e79e3e5-0401-4f30-a055-e6fe0e4a68c8

"We don't have to loot. We don't have to riot. We don't have to cause pain to our community, but just to uplift it," said the organizer of the protest.

I talked to my brother about this all yesterday and I think two good solutions would be #1 across the nation, any officer with more than 2 complaints needs to be evaluated heavily. #2 and more radical, never can a white police officer be in a dominantly black community nor a black officer in a dominantly white community .... white officers for whites, black officers for blacks, brown officers for browns etc

If this would have been a black skinned officer doing the same thing .... nobody would really have said much at all :(

There were 3 other officers that stood around and watched as Chauvin murdered a man. There were about 20 officers marching down the street that directly violated the explicit guidance/orders and opened fire on folks peacefully standing on their own porch. Officers arrested a CNN news crew for simply reporting what was going on and then repeatedly lied about the motivation.

Chauvin is definitely proving NOT to be a one off. This is clearly a systemic issue.
Sigh...

Skoo said:
By the way, I got banned for a week for saying the president is a malignant narcissist.

But calling people “animals” and “subhuman” gets a warning?
You’ve said much worse than that, just be glad it was only a week? He was referring to the actual criminals destroying businesses and police stations it appeared. With the way you talk about your own President it’s surprising this has you rattled. 

Last edited by a moderator:
:goodposting:

Her profile keeps growing. Her stature keeps getting stronger. When she is America's president, we will be a better union. AOC in 2024 or 2028 or 2032... it will happen with great success.
Even if I agreed with her most of the time, which frankly I don’t, I don’t want that. 
She’s too partisan, too much an ideologue. I know people don’t like to hear this, but our best Preaidents have always been moderate and centrists who try to achieve change without antagonizing the other side. 

Let’s not play this game. The folks who are legitimately angry and protesting and not just burning and looting are doing so for a reason. And it’s not just over one murder committed by a cop. People were coming out of the woodwork with stories of abuse/harassment by Minneapolis cops after this happened. Playing it all down and pretending that it’s just isolated incidents with no larger underlying problem just perpetuates the problem and injustice. If you want to create a powder keg by allowing systemic injustice to fester while telling the oppressed that they’re not really being oppressed, you don’t have the right to act shocked and offended when the powder keg erupts.

Then why do they too often protect the Derek Chauvins? Why don't they speak up against them? Why don't they want them kicked out, prosecuted? Why do they call IA the "rat squad"?

If they so want the Chauvins out, then they need to stand up against them. 

Even if I agreed with her most of the time, which frankly I don’t, I don’t want that. 
She’s too partisan, too much an ideologue. I know people don’t like to hear this, but our best Preaidents have always been moderate and centrists who try to achieve change without antagonizing the other side. 
Great, she doesn't antagonize. She has given voice to a generation that sees financial injustices and speaks about people/corporations doing their fair share. Hopefully the 2020's will continue the Progressive movement for People. The fact that the Radical Right Wing bashes her every moment has helped her profile. The Radical Right will see her become President by a wide margin because, after all, she is for the People. Her message will not be stifled.

Agreed. Although, we've apparently flipped the switch on the bolded.

That makes November even more interesting. The GOP is rolling out the man who's there because he antagonizes the other side the most. The Dems are rolling out the guy who antagonizes the other side the least.

I'm hoping the "pick the most antagonistic candidate" approach was a one off in 2016. But if it works again, it may be hard to go back.

Not much information can be found on the people dying during the "protests" .......... why? 

US cities face toll of violent protests that have left 3 dead, dozens injured, stores burned

California Gov. Gavin Newsom declared a state of emergency for Los Angeles County as hundreds of looters converged on downtown stores and clashed with cops. Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti announced a curfew for Saturday night after 500 people were arrested and five police officers were hurt as protests turned violent.

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot imposed a curfew from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. after hundreds of protesters gathered at Federal Plaza for a demonstration organized by Black Lives Matter. Police cars were set ablaze and covered with anti-cop graffiti and demonstrators were reportedly arrested near Trump Tower.

Some 13 Philadelphia police officers were injured and more than a dozen people arrested as cars were burned and businesses vandalized before midnight. Mayor Jim Kenney implemented a mandatory citywide curfew starting at 8 p.m. and lasting until 6 a.m.Sunday.

In Indianapolis, three people were shot and killed and at least two others wounded as protests morphed into mob violence, according to Police Chief Randal Taylor.

In Denver, a car rammed into a police vehicle, "severely" injuring three officers and a civilian and rioters armed with crowbars, baseball bats, assault rifles and handguns attacked cops and peaceful protesters, according to Police Chief Paul Pazen.

Washington Gov. Jay Inslee activated 200 National Guard members after rioting in Seattle intensified. After protesters shut down Interstate 5 through central Seattle, police used flash bangs and pepper spray to scatter them.

So when you loved the post above where the poster said he wasn’t sure if the violence against those shop keepers was the answer or not - what message were you trying to send?
Please quote where that was said.  

The message is to protest injustice and racism against blacks by the police and our systems.  You can try your hardest to change it.  Muddy the waters and shift blame so people forget about it.  But no matter how many people loot that will still be the message.  

meanwhile 

https://www.thv11.com/article/life/hundreds-demand-justice-during-peaceful-protests-in-little-rock/91-3e79e3e5-0401-4f30-a055-e6fe0e4a68c8

"We don't have to loot. We don't have to riot. We don't have to cause pain to our community, but just to uplift it," said the organizer of the protest.

I talked to my brother about this all yesterday and I think two good solutions would be #1 across the nation, any officer with more than 2 complaints needs to be evaluated heavily. #2 and more radical, never can a white police officer be in a dominantly black community nor a black officer in a dominantly white community .... white officers for whites, black officers for blacks, brown officers for browns etc

If this would have been a black skinned officer doing the same thing .... nobody would really have said much at all :(

Separate but equal, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread