What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (2 Viewers)

This is, sadly, exactly right. 

In 1992, the message was justice for those who beat up Rodney King. Then Reginald Denny, an innocent white truck driver, was dragged out of his truck and beaten. And the original message was lost. 

The rioters and the instigators want that.  I won’t allow it.  You shouldn’t either.  

Separate but equal, eh?
I don't like the idea personally but if police departments want to steer clear of the race card being used with every white/black encounter between officers/civilians yes it does make logical sense

Do you agree when I say if this was 4 black officers and Floyd and it all happening exactly the same way , this wouldn't be news at all - right ?

It seems like America has been telling the entire black community to “just step aside” while they kill countless innocent black people, for far too long. This entire situation is awful, but it’s time for a change. Is this the answer for change? I’m not sure. But peacefully kneeling at football games seemed to be an issue. It seems like we are out of options. What happened to the store owners is awful. But what happened to George Floyd and countless other black Americans is far worse. 

Stop comparing the acts and justifying one act because another is worse.  They are both terrible.  Just like the rioters and the bad cops are.   The rioters are going to end up losing the message of the protesters in the end again.  But at least they got free shoes and a phone

If you think that killing innocent black people is bad, then it shouldn't be that hard to affirm that beating innocent third parties with 2x4s is also bad without resorting to whataboutism. 

Also, the race of the assailants isn't obvious in that video.
Yeah, gotta say JShare, this is a pretty disturbing take.   Innocent business owners being beaten defending their property, in what appears to be a peaceful manor, isn’t going to be the impetus to change.  That you’re “not sure” if that’s the answer for change is scary.  What happened to the business owners is indeed awful, and so is what happened to George Floyd.  One atrocity doesn’t excuse or justify another.  And one isn’t going to be the answer for the other.

meanwhile 

https://www.thv11.com/article/life/hundreds-demand-justice-during-peaceful-protests-in-little-rock/91-3e79e3e5-0401-4f30-a055-e6fe0e4a68c8

"We don't have to loot. We don't have to riot. We don't have to cause pain to our community, but just to uplift it," said the organizer of the protest.

I talked to my brother about this all yesterday and I think two good solutions would be #1 across the nation, any officer with more than 2 complaints needs to be evaluated heavily. #2 and more radical, never can a white police officer be in a dominantly black community nor a black officer in a dominantly white community .... white officers for whites, black officers for blacks, brown officers for browns etc

If this would have been a black skinned officer doing the same thing .... nobody would really have said much at all :(
This isn’t the answer and doesn’t solve the root issue.  We need more integration and interaction to solve these problems.  Not less.

but i do agree there is a problem with people white or black policing neighborhoods they don’t live in or aren’t a part of.  That’s when bias’ take over your decision making.  An officer may think twice pulling the trigger or kneeling on a mans neck who’s kid goes to the same daycare as his or who he sees with his family every week at the supermarket.

more interaction will help but it takes a while and tbh many people resist the programs that were built to help promote this.

I don't like the idea personally but if police departments want to steer clear of the race card being used with every white/black encounter between officers/civilians yes it does make logical sense

Do you agree when I say if this was 4 black officers and Floyd and it all happening exactly the same way , this wouldn't be news at all - right ?

1. I very much disagree. When cops murder someone in custody, its always going to be news.

2. As to your first paragraph, if they want to "steer clear of the race card being used," they could just stop being racist. Separate but equal is a horrific idea that was thrown out in 1954.

These were business owners who attempted to deescalate and were beaten for their trouble. You stated the idea that business owners can defend their property is disgusting. So what else is there for a business owner to do?
No, I stated that calling people “animals” and “subhuman” was disgusting.

You really thought THAT was the disgusting part of his post?

Yikes.

I did wake up in 2020, right?

Yeah, gotta say JShare, this is a pretty disturbing take.   Innocent business owners being beaten defending their property, in what appears to be a peaceful manor, isn’t going to be the impetus to change.  That you’re “not sure” if that’s the answer for change is scary.  What happened to the business owners is indeed awful, and so is what happened to George Floyd.  One atrocity doesn’t excuse or justify another.  And one isn’t going to be the answer for the other.
But that wasn’t the intent of these protests.  And despite what you see on the news the large majority of the protests were and have been peaceful.  

This isn’t the answer and doesn’t solve the root issue.  We need more integration and interaction to solve these problems.  Not less.

but i do agree there is a problem with people white or black policing neighborhoods they don’t live in or aren’t a part of.  That’s when bias’ take over your decision making.  An officer may think twice pulling the trigger or kneeling on a mans neck who’s kid goes to the same daycare as his or who he sees with his family every week at the supermarket.

more interaction will help but it takes a while and tbh many people resist the programs that were built to help promote this.
OK but last month, the last 3 months, the last 12 months .... 99.99 % of interactions between police and citizens with different races/skin colors have went very well

that's not enough though, in 0.01% like this one, it sparks a nation wide outrage when in reality, police do exceptionally well and its still not enough so what are we going to do ?

people naturally segregate 

Let’s not play this game. The folks who are legitimately angry and protesting and not just burning and looting are doing so for a reason. And it’s not just over one murder committed by a cop. People were coming out of the woodwork with stories of abuse/harassment by Minneapolis cops after this happened. Playing it all down and pretending that it’s just isolated incidents with no larger underlying problem just perpetuates the problem and injustice. If you want to create a powder keg by allowing systemic injustice to fester while telling the oppressed that they’re not really being oppressed, you don’t have the right to act shocked and offended when the powder keg erupts.

Then why do they too often protect the Derek Chauvins? Why don't they speak up against them? Why don't they want them kicked out, prosecuted? Why do they call IA the "rat squad"?

If they so want the Chauvins out, then they need to stand up against them. 
I'm sad that that's what you guys chose to extract from that post.

I'm not "playing down" anything. The MPD clearly has a problem. I've not said otherwise.

I'm simply pointing out that at the same time day in, day out our police forces as a collective whole do a lot of difficult and dangerous work to keep our communities safe. Minneapolis has 800+ sworn officers that enforce law and order in a city of 437k people. I'm glad they did such a great job the last few nights.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. I very much disagree. When cops murder someone in custody, its always going to be news.

2. As to your first paragraph, if they want to "steer clear of the race card being used," they could just stop being racist. Separate but equal is a horrific idea that was thrown out in 1954.

I guess my response to those thoughts are accept that police are 99.9% really good and 0.1% of the time, something goes wrong and accept that % rate and go on

to expect 100% isn't realistic

same questions I've asked above - if this were 4 black cops and they did the same to Floyd, would it be news? You and I know it wouldn't be - agreed ?

I guess my response to those thoughts are accept that police are 99.9% really good and 0.1% of the time, something goes wrong and accept that % rate and go on

to expect 100% isn't realistic

same questions I've asked above - if this were 4 black cops and they did the same to Floyd, would it be news? You and I know it wouldn't be - agreed ?

I don't know where you are getting your percentages. How do you know that? Why are you saying 99.9% of interactions are ok?

However, at the end of the day any intelligent engagement with these issues must keep front and center that there was a Daniel Shaver for John Crawford, a Michael Parker for Walter Scott, a James Scott for Laquan McDonald.
But when it comes to the most lethal form of force — police shootings — the study finds no racial bias.

“It is the most surprising result of my career,” said Roland G. Fryer Jr., the author of the study and a professor of economics at Harvard. The study examined more than 1,000 shootings in 10 major police departments, in Texas, Florida and California.
https://time.com/4404987/police-violence/

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html?_r=0

Left, Right and Middle all agree there are too many people killed by the police. A movement based on changing the nature of policing has legs. Whatever we see on CNN/MSNBC/FOX is just a travesty.

I don't know where you are getting your percentages. How do you know that? Why are you saying 99.9% of interactions are ok?
From past readings on the interactions of police and civilians - its exceptional, in fact so high that the numbers really are astounding at literally the tens of thousands of interactions every day between police and civilians from traffic tickets to being called out to investigate things to simply filing a report

The looting and destruction of property is probably a result of the current financial situation and uncertainty. You get the feeling the protestors are definitely angry about Floyd, but there’s also a heavy anti-establishment vibe that this is turning into.

Undercurrents of this anger have been on social media for years.  The 1%, the rich vs poor.  The people vs the establishment.

Now when you throw in a brutal killing and rampant unemployment, I can see why the looting happens. I can see why they deface Rodeo.  These are symbols of the elite part of the country that many of these young protesters (white and black) are not a part of.  And when they find themselves out of work with a lot of economic uncertainty ahead, their position is more understandable.

This level of massive unemployment will have consequences.  In this case the consequences seem to be an amplification of what started as a peaceful thing

OK but last month, the last 3 months, the last 12 months .... 99.99 % of interactions between police and citizens with different races/skin colors have went very well

that's not enough though, in 0.01% like this one, it sparks a nation wide outrage when in reality, police do exceptionally well and its still not enough so what are we going to do ?

Have they though?  Also this is a bit much more than one incident this is injustices that have been happening for a long long time.  

and i don’t think people naturally segregate.  There is a lot of history in this country of redlining and people purposefully segregating folks.  And slavery.  And segregation.  By law.  That wasn’t that long ago.  

Or we could realize that we're all humans, and while there are definite cultural differences that we're often unfamiliar with, we should be making this world a bit better for everyone involved. Separating LEOs to take care of neighborhoods by race is a huge step in the wrong direction, and will make the problem worse, not better. We are all equal, and we should treat each other as such. I'm reminded of that kids song from Sunday School: "Red and yellow, black and white, we are precious in His sight." I'm beyond sick of the hatred and the violence, it's time to change. If that means radically altering the way police are trained, so they're not conditioned to kneel on the neck of a man who had a bad $20 bill, so be it! George Floyd did nothing worthy of death at the hands of a punk with a badge. Fix the system!

Again from the Harvard study quoted by the NYT:

Lethal uses of force are exceedingly rare. There were 1.6 million arrests in Houston in the years Mr. Fryer studied. Officers fired their weapons 507 times. What is far more common are nonlethal uses of force.

Again from the Harvard study quoted by the NYT:

Lethal uses of force are exceedingly rare. There were 1.6 million arrests in Houston in the years Mr. Fryer studied. Officers fired their weapons 507 times. What is far more common are nonlethal uses of force.

I don't understand the point you are making. I wasn't saying that there are a high percentage of cop murders. Just pushing back on stealthy's claim that 99.9% of cop interactions go "very well."

I don't understand the point you are making. I wasn't saying that there are a high percentage of cop murders. Just pushing back on stealthy's claim that 99.9% of cop interactions go "very well."
The definition of "very well" is nebulous, Just pointing out that in Houston over the years studied, at least 99.97% of arrests were made without a shot being fired.

I disagree and have seen you post worse. Also calling people stupid or racist isn’t appropriate and the whole moderation isn’t fair to you act doesn’t play well in here. Please be better. 
Sounds like someone needs to brush up on their history.

Calling someone “subhuman” is completely unacceptable.

Again, it’s not 1957 anymore. POS racists are gonna get called out for being POS racists.

The definition of "very well" is nebulous, Just pointing out that in Houston over the years studied, at least 99.97% of arrests were made without a shot being fired.
I have no reason to dispute the findings of the study. However, if those numbers are true... why arm police officers with guns at all? If they are so seldom used, get rid of them. I'd be willing to bet that most people would feel much safer knowing there is no gun that could be used at all.

To the people who will say something to the effect of, "police need guns to maintain order, or have the threat of maintaining order," the numbers, evidently, would heavily refute that claim.

What about a punch? A kick? A threat? 
The Harvard study does show racial bias in minor use of force. That's the policing issue. The militarization and overuse of force is where there is common ground across the political spectrum. It's why there needs to be robust internal affairs groups. It's a major issue with the "thin blue line" mentality and the use of minor force as an every day solution to issues that police officers face is what needs to change.

Sounds like someone needs to brush up on their history.

Calling someone “subhuman” is completely unacceptable.

Again, it’s not 1957 anymore. POS racists are gonna get called out for being POS racists.
You trying to paint in inaccurate picture of his post just so you can call someone racist is pretty sad. Especially with your posting history, try to be better. 

sporthenry said:
Strangely, I have found myself agreeing with Fox News a few times today. Particularly, the whole epidemic thing seems to have taken a backseat. I know that this is about more than one person and is a societal thing. But it seems like we forgot about what has caused 100k deaths in the country when we have something better to worry about. Particularly, we can't get together in groups more than a handful for normal course of business but for protesting and looting, we don't seem to care about social distancing. It does seem like hypocritical. 
The sentiment may be right...but what do you think their purpose in reporting it like that is?  IMO...its to say, see, the Pandemic isn't that bad or these people wouldn't be out.  Also setting up the scapegoat if cases start rising.

I don't think people forgot...I think people are pissed off at what has been going on for a long time and the death of Mr. Floyd set it off (again, not all because some of this is absolutely organized to cause chaos rather than protest for a reason)

I have no reason to dispute the findings of the study. However, if those numbers are true... why arm police officers with guns at all? If they are so seldom used, get rid of them. I'd be willing to bet that most people would feel much safer knowing there is no gun that could be used at all.

To the people who will say something to the effect of, "police need guns to maintain order, or have the threat of maintaining order," the numbers, evidently, would heavily refute that claim.
Tradition? Unions? European cops don't generally carry in public. NYPD transit cops don't carry.

I think limiting the scope of officers that carry as part of their everyday duties is probably a great way to go.
ETA: especially as officers carry non-lethal/less-lethal weapons as well. When was the kid shot when the officer thought he had reached for a Taser? A body cam on every cop, tasers and pepper spray standard compliance carry.

It seems like America has been telling the entire black community to “just step aside” while they kill countless innocent black people, for far too long. This entire situation is awful, but it’s time for a change. Is this the answer for change? I’m not sure. But peacefully kneeling at football games seemed to be an issue. It seems like we are out of options. What happened to the store owners is awful. But what happened to George Floyd and countless other black Americans is far worse. 
I actually see them as pretty similar. There are few things in this world that bother me more than when someone of power does something to someone else just because they can. I don’t care if it’s social power, political power, financial power, or physical power. Both Chauvin and these rioters Imposed their will and others because the other person had no recourse. Sorry if the word is offending to some, but these people are subhuman in my mind. 

Please quote where that was said.  

The message is to protest injustice and racism against blacks by the police and our systems.  You can try your hardest to change it.  Muddy the waters and shift blame so people forget about it.  But no matter how many people loot that will still be the message.  

No one is muddying the waters - talking specifically about specific responses to specific posts.

He was replying to the post about the shopkeepers getting beat. That was his response. You 'loved' this response. Now maybe you were reacting to other things he said (which I do agree with) but that single bolded response was buried in with the rest of the response. 

That's the issue with this - they aren't mutually exclusive. Regardless of everything else, violence in any form against anyone is unacceptable and shouldn't be viewed as the 'answer for change'. Do you agree or disagree with that? 

The numbers do nothing to refute the claim. You can’t put a number on how many times the simple fact that the police officer had a gun was a deterrent to others.

Tradition? Unions? European cops don't generally carry in public. NYPD transit cops don't carry.

I think limiting the scope of officers that carry as part of their everyday duties is probably a great way to go.
Sweet, let's do our collective bit and start pressuring for this type of policy. I'm sure policing would be much better welcomed without the threat of death. The amount of videos I've seen on reddit this past week of white cops pulling guns out, for no reason, would dramatically ease tensions.

The police unions do much more harm than good. Traditions need to change.

From Wikipedia:

Subhuman (German: Untermensch), a term from early eugenics and Nazi racial ideology for an "inferior human being" Dehumanization. A measure of progress in artificial intelligence, denoting worse performance than most humans.

You wanna defend the use of that term, have at it. 

I’ll never let that kind of talk slide. 

Ever.

Great, she doesn't antagonize. She has given voice to a generation that sees financial injustices and speaks about people/corporations doing their fair share. Hopefully the 2020's will continue the Progressive movement for People. The fact that the Radical Right Wing bashes her every moment has helped her profile. The Radical Right will see her become President by a wide margin because, after all, she is for the People. Her message will not be stifled.
Biden not only stifled it, he crushed it.  He'll pass the torch to one of his cronies who will keep her at bay.

I actually see them as pretty similar. There are few things in this world that bother me more than when someone of power does something to someone else just because they can. I don’t care if it’s social power, political power, financial power, or physical power. Both Chauvin and these rioters Imposed their will and others because the other person had no recourse. Sorry if the word is offending to some, but these people are subhuman in my mind. 
This probably isn't a great word to use. Uncivilized and/or barbaric is what I prefer.

Subhuman has implications that are a little yucky.

From Wikipedia:

Subhuman (German: Untermensch), a term from early eugenics and Nazi racial ideology for an "inferior human being" Dehumanization. A measure of progress in artificial intelligence, denoting worse performance than most humans.

Ever.
Yes, that is exactly what I mean. 

No one is muddying the waters - talking specifically about specific responses to specific posts.

He was replying to the post about the shopkeepers getting beat. That was his response. You 'loved' this response. Now maybe you were reacting to other things he said (which I do agree with) but that single bolded response was buried in with the rest of the response. 

That's the issue with this - they aren't mutually exclusive. Regardless of everything else, violence in any form against anyone is unacceptable and shouldn't be viewed as the 'answer for change'. Do you agree or disagree with that? 
when he said "This entire situation is awful, but it’s time for a change. Is this the answer for change? I’m not sure."  what is the "this" he is referencing though?  Is it protesting or is it violence?

One has historical context though.  #theyarenotsimilar

All over conservative media and talk shows, the focus is on extreme left wing groups like Antifa leading the riots (some of them say leading the protests as well.) This idea has been echoed by our President and Attorney General. 

On MSNBC Joy Reid is focusing on news reports of extreme right wing groups who are attempting to instigate violence. 

My own suspicion is that both of these assertions are wildly overstated. I believe the vast majority of rioters aren’t organized at all; they are simply a minority of protestors who are behaving badly, just as there are a minority of police who are behaving badly. 

tonydead said:
ACAB.  F 12.  There arent two teams playing in this. It's pretty sad for those pretending there are. 

I get it. Fundamentalist Mormons arent really Mormons anymore. But you have to call them what they are. 
To keep claiming it is all extreme leftists does not appear to be supported by a whole lot.  Its also pretty sad to all but cheer on the violence against news media covering these stories.  No, its not a good thing that people are having that much contempt for news reporters.  These are not the opinion talking heads...these are on the ground reporters showing things as they happen.  That isn't fake news...its actual news.  Its sad that a movement to label anything negative about a side is called fake news.  

https://www.justsecurity.org/70497/far-right-infiltrators-and-agitators-in-george-floyd-protests-indicators-of-white-supremacists/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2020/05/30/right-wing-conspiracists-pull-from-old-playbook-blame-george-soros-for-riots/#17ad5de54100

And there are more reports out there...that there appear to be both antifa type and the proud boy white nationalist types out there in these cities.  Why?  To create the mess that they have wanted the whole time.

From Wikipedia:

Ever.
Lol. You used the "other uses" part of wikipedia

Thats suboptimal virtue signaling. 

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. 
Use a different term dude. The rest of that paragraph is the reason why.

You could just call them “criminals” for example, because that’s what they are.

Did you also claim the officer who murdered an innocent man was “subhuman”?

Users who are viewing this thread