What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (4 Viewers)

Nope, 0% chance that burning historic churches in DC and destroying innocent people’s businesses gets anyone what they want. Zero chance. The discussion has gone from the disgusting cop that should be locked up forever to this pathetic behavior which is truly sad. 
Unfortunately this is true.

A whole lot of crappy implications.  More armed citizens for one.

No other behavior has been deemed acceptable, I'm afraid.
Has anybody said anything negative about the people who are out there protesting peacefully?  I know I haven't, and I don't recall anybody else condemning them either.

Regardless, since it apparently needs to be said out loud, peaceful protests are good.  They're rightly protected by the first amendment.

Nope, 0% chance that burning historic churches in DC and destroying innocent people’s businesses gets anyone what they want. Zero chance. The discussion has gone from the disgusting cop that should be locked up forever to this pathetic behavior which is truly sad. 
The point about all of this is that the protests are not about just one cop (and, besides, there are four involved with Mr. Floyd's death.) The protests include a litany of names of black people that have suffered similarly. The protests are about how to change systemic issues within the country. The protests are the result of a cumulative effect on black folk for years and years.

Hi @hagmania

Can you elaborate on that please? Thanks. 
Most of the protesters feel marginalized. Some (many?) feel that peaceful protests are brushed aside as not important and that nothing need be done in response to them.

I suppose it wasn't the strongest choice of words, that I could have used "effective" instead of "acceptable."

But, maybe that was the correct verbiage. If someone feels they could potentially be the next to be brutalized at the hands of the police, I think it's not hard to see how one may start blending the meaning of "acceptability" into "effectiveness."

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anybody said anything negative about the people who are out there protesting peacefully?  I know I haven't, and I don't recall anybody else condemning them either.

Regardless, since it apparently needs to be said out loud, peaceful protests are good.  They're rightly protected by the first amendment.
I think his point is past protests - Kaepernick kneeling, "I can't breath" t-shirts in the NBA, BLM, etc that were peaceful protests about this exact issue have been met with negativity by some (including both our President and Vice President). And more clearly, those protests have largely been ignored. 

Having said all that, I am hoping for peaceful resolution, but I can't say I don't sympathize for the less peaceful occurrences.

Now, if there really are bad actors in these crowds, I apologize for trying to defend them. Those trying to take advantage of the situation and turn it into something else are loathsome.

No other behavior has been deemed acceptable, I'm afraid.

Yes...it happens constantly.  You ever been in the Kaepernick thread?  Remember the backlash any number of athletes or actors/actresses take from Lebron, to Kobe, to more Oscars speeches than we can cout?  It's easy to sit here in the moment and differentiate between the peaceful doing it correctly and the hooligans coming in and screwing it up.  But this seems to forget all the incidents of the past that have gotten us to this point.  I THINK that might be where hagmania is going with his comment and he's 100% correct.

@kmlytong
This is one of the cartridges LAPD used to fire rubber bullets at protesters that my friend picked up yesterday. Notice who the manufacturer is? Combined Tactical Systems is the primary supplier of teargas to the Israeli police & IDF used against Palestinians

Until recently, they even flew the Israeli flag at its headquarters. CTS also supplied tear gas to the Chilean government that was used against Chilean protesters despite a report from the University of Chile that exposure to the tear gas may lead to miscarriages //

The IDF actually trains American officers.  If you ever wondered how some of them police like racist thugs.  

The point about all of this is that the protests are not about just one cop (and, besides, there are four involved with Mr. Floyd's death.) The protests include a litany of names of black people that have suffered similarly. The protests are about how to change systemic issues within the country. The protests are the result of a cumulative effect on black folk for years and years.
No one has a problem with the protests, the crime and violence that have become the norm drive us all further From the solution not closer. 

Yes...it happens constantly.  You ever been in the Kaepernick thread?  Remember the backlash any number of athletes or actors/actresses take from Lebron, to Kobe, to more Oscars speeches than we can cout?  It's easy to sit here in the moment and differentiate between the peaceful doing it correctly and the hooligans coming in and screwing it up.  But this seems to forget all the incidents of the past that have gotten us to this point.  I THINK that might be where hagmania is going with his comment and he's 100% correct.
If that's the case, then he should probably address those people specifically.  Most of us -- including something approaching 100% of the people in this thread -- are totally fine with protests.

Well this is cool. MN AG Keith Ellison's son, and Minneapolis City Council member Jeremiah Ellison declares his support for ANTIFA.

"I hereby declare, officially, my support for ANTIFA

Unless someone can prove to me ANTIFA is behind the burning of black and immigrant owned businesses in my ward, I’ll keep focusing on stopping the white power terrorist THE ARE ACTUALLY ATTACKING US!"

So it's not enough to say "I don't think it's ANTIFA." Instead, you have to support them because you're sure it's white supremacists - even though there isn't any more proof it's them than Antifa.

I'm calling a real estate agent and getting out of here. :loco:

If that's the case, then he should probably address those people specifically.  Most of us -- including something approaching 100% of the people in this thread -- are totally fine with protests.
"those people" as in the people taking issue with protestors as I mentioned above?

As I said before, it didn't seem like he was talking specifically about this issue rather it was the larger picture and a reflection on how we got here.    I will take the time to note that there are several here in this forum who appear to be supporting THESE peaceful protests who have also done plenty of :hophead: in the Kaep thread.  Is that progress?  Hopefully, but only time will tell.  Positions I can't reconcile personally, but then again, I don't have to...they aren't mine.  Maybe they are changing their minds right in front of our eyes.

Well this is cool. MN AG Keith Ellison's son, and Minneapolis City Council member Jeremiah Ellison declares his support for ANTIFA.

Unless someone can prove to me ANTIFA is behind the burning of black and immigrant owned businesses in my ward, I’ll keep focusing on stopping the white power terrorist THE ARE ACTUALLY ATTACKING US!"

So it's not enough to say "I don't think it's ANTIFA." Instead, you have to support them because you're sure it's white supremacists - even though there isn't any more proof it's them than Antifa.

ooooof

Little Ellison is just taking after his daddy. Right before he became Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison tweeted out a picture of himself with the Antifa handbook. 

The deputy head of the Democratic National Committee is under fire—again—from far-right activists after he posed with a copy of a "antifa" book and suggested anti-fascist activism is President Donald Trump's worst Nightmare.

"I just found the book that strike fear in the heart of @realDonaldTrump," Ellison had posted, linking to Trump's Twitter account.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/keith-ellisons-antifa-tweet-spurs-fake-news-backlash-linking-him-terror-group-770958%3famp=1

Sure, that's what the protests are about. Unfortunately they dont have much to do with the theft, vandalism and arson. Well, everyone likes free stuff I guess. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @hagmania

Can you elaborate on that please? Thanks. 
I can hear the laughter coming from some people on here about what I am going to post in reply so hopefully you, and others, take this to heart. Rather than quote my previous posts, that you may have seen or may not have, many of the posters that have sentiment of, "protests are fine but this is out of hand," or, "this isn't the right way to go about things," are lacking the knowledge or knowingly displaying ignorance at what and why things are occurring.

Protests are good but when people are told "this" kind of protesting is not good, or "that" kind of protesting is not good, or "do it this way" and people will listen, those statements hearken back to a much darker time in our history. Many will not want to admit that their words or phrases or thoughts have a hurtful history however, that is, part of the point. The divide was tipped recently with the murders in Minneapolis, Georgia, and Louisville... and what justice has been done? It took four days and protests to get one officer arrested. It took three months for two other people to get arrested. And, the one person that was arrested in Louisville was the person doing the protecting. Still, no convictions, no punishment, no nothing.

So, what do people do when they want to be heard. They yell, they scream, they cry, and sometimes, they break things. Just look around to identify what it is people want. I posted that tweet and a person replied with, "Well that comparison would probably help if we knew what folks wanted?" LOOK AROUND. We aren't playing Where's Waldo with civil rights here. Then, another poster replied, "Not sure behavior like last night does anything to accomplish this, sorry." Okay, then what behavior will get results?

These replies, again, hearken back to a much darker time in our history. These kind of replies play out like this is all a minstrel show. These kind of replies are not said in a genuine fashion. To a person knowledgeable about history, these statements reek of ignorance. A person might read those replies and get reminded of, "oh, look, how cute. We're entertained, thank you. Now, get back to the fields. We aren't here to sit with you at the table, you're here for our entertainment. Know your role."

One of my previous posts, I asked people to argue about early protests in American history and argue that they were bad. I'll fast forward and wait to see if people want to argue the following protests and tell us why these protests are/were bad:

- Birmingham riot of 1963

- Selma to Montgomery marches

- Long Hot Summer of 1967

- Assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr.

- Kent State riots/shootings

Why are we, as a nation, still battling this crap?

This post will be met with laughter and scorn. I know it. But, it is those who need to see reality in order to change reality. Or, maybe I should just tell them. "oh, look, how cute. We're entertained, thank you. Now, get back to the fields. We aren't here to sit with you at the table, you're here for our entertainment. Know your role."

I can hear the laughter coming from some people on here about what I am going to post in reply so hopefully you, and others, take this to heart. Rather than quote my previous posts, that you may have seen or may not have, many of the posters that have sentiment of, "protests are fine but this is out of hand," or, "this isn't the right way to go about things," are lacking the knowledge or knowingly displaying ignorance at what and why things are occurring.

Protests are good but when people are told "this" kind of protesting is not good, or "that" kind of protesting is not good, or "do it this way" and people will listen, those statements hearken back to a much darker time in our history. Many will not want to admit that their words or phrases or thoughts have a hurtful history however, that is, part of the point. The divide was tipped recently with the murders in Minneapolis, Georgia, and Louisville... and what justice has been done? It took four days and protests to get one officer arrested. It took three months for two other people to get arrested. And, the one person that was arrested in Louisville was the person doing the protecting. Still, no convictions, no punishment, no nothing.

So, what do people do when they want to be heard. They yell, they scream, they cry, and sometimes, they break things. Just look around to identify what it is people want. I posted that tweet and a person replied with, "Well that comparison would probably help if we knew what folks wanted?" LOOK AROUND. We aren't playing Where's Waldo with civil rights here. Then, another poster replied, "Not sure behavior like last night does anything to accomplish this, sorry." Okay, then what behavior will get results?

These replies, again, hearken back to a much darker time in our history. These kind of replies play out like this is all a minstrel show. These kind of replies are not said in a genuine fashion. To a person knowledgeable about history, these statements reek of ignorance. A person might read those replies and get reminded of, "oh, look, how cute. We're entertained, thank you. Now, get back to the fields. We aren't here to sit with you at the table, you're here for our entertainment. Know your role."

One of my previous posts, I asked people to argue about early protests in American history and argue that they were bad. I'll fast forward and wait to see if people want to argue the following protests and tell us why these protests are/were bad:

- Birmingham riot of 1963

- Selma to Montgomery marches

- Long Hot Summer of 1967

- Assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr.

- Kent State riots/shootings

Why are we, as a nation, still battling this crap?

This post will be met with laughter and scorn. I know it. But, it is those who need to see reality in order to change reality. Or, maybe I should just tell them. "oh, look, how cute. We're entertained, thank you. Now, get back to the fields. We aren't here to sit with you at the table, you're here for our entertainment. Know your role."
I'm not sure why anyone would laugh and kind of a bummer for you to prejudge I would. I asked a simple question for the poster to elaborate when they said, "No other behavior has been deemed acceptable, I'm afraid."

I'm not sure why anyone would laugh and kind of a bummer for you to prejudge I would. I asked a simple question for the poster to elaborate when they said, "No other behavior has been deemed acceptable, I'm afraid."
I was the poster that posted the tweet initially. Some of my posts recently have been met with the laugh emoji, hence me writing that about laughter previously. I elaborated for the poster you asked because he had responded to one poster about the tweet I had posted.

Most of the protesters feel marginalized. Some (many?) feel that peaceful protests are brushed aside as not important and that nothing need be done in response to them.

I suppose it wasn't the strongest choice of words, that I could have used "effective" instead of "acceptable."

But, maybe that was the correct verbiage. If someone feels they could potentially be the next to be brutalized at the hands of the police, I think it's not hard to see how one may start blending the meaning of "acceptability" into "effectiveness."
To build on this...and what I have heard from friends is this sentiment...of acceptable. 

Kaepernick kneels (and other players join in protest) the backlash against them was not just by employers but by fans and the President.  It was unacceptable.

Players in other sports wearing tshirts of support get bashed at times...its unacceptable.

Celebrities work a protest into an acceptance speech...aww, we don't want to hear that just say thank you...its unacceptable.

Protest is often met with "just do your job" type talk.  People don't want to be bothered by the protest of others.

Ive heard among those being peaceful talking about others getting violent...some have said they don't like it, "but we aren't being heard otherwise".  That is often the frustration that pours out of people who have dealt with this issue their whole lives.

Yeah...with Keith's famous picture with the antifa handbook thingy...and now this...just idiotic of the kid really.

In case you haven't notced there are a few things more explosive and immediately dangerous going on. Forgive us for taking a coronavirus break when cities are burning to the ground.
I see you are going straight to the same exaggeration and hyberbole you use in the coronavirus thread though.

To build on this...and what I have heard from friends is this sentiment...of acceptable. 

Kaepernick kneels (and other players join in protest) the backlash against them was not just by employers but by fans and the President.  It was unacceptable.

Players in other sports wearing tshirts of support get bashed at times...its unacceptable.

Celebrities work a protest into an acceptance speech...aww, we don't want to hear that just say thank you...its unacceptable.

Protest is often met with "just do your job" type talk.  People don't want to be bothered by the protest of others.

Ive heard among those being peaceful talking about others getting violent...some have said they don't like it, "but we aren't being heard otherwise".  That is often the frustration that pours out of people who have dealt with this issue their whole lives.
This sounds like an awful small step away from condoning violence as a means of protest. 

This sounds like an awful small step away from condoning violence as a means of protest. 
I can see how it might...Ive said time and time again on this board that I don't support or condone violence as a means of protest.  Doesn't mean I can't understand there is frustration that boils up to it.  I understand and empathize with the fight against injustice...I can do so without really supporting looting and setting fires and destroying property and slinging things at cops.

Its about the killing of Floyd and others...and about the police reaction.  Looking back on this thread when the reports of the death first came out I came across mcintyre's post about the police's response to the death...its one of the things that boils things up big time when the official explanation was complete lies.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/726268-another-killing-at-the-hands-of-the-police/?do=findComment&comment=22748813

On Monday evening, shortly after 8:00 pm, officers from the Minneapolis Police Department responded to the 3700 block of Chicago Avenue South on a report of a forgery in progress. Officers were advised that the suspect was sitting on top of a blue car and appeared to be under the influence.

Two officers arrived and located the suspect, a male believed to be in his 40s, in his car. He was ordered to step from his car. After he got out, he physically resisted officers. Officers were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and noted he appeared to be suffering medical distress. Officers called for an ambulance. He was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center by ambulance where he died a short time later.

Your first examples are from people that make piles of money. Most people dont want to listen to people that make gobs of money speak about being oppressed. Or about veganism. Or any other cause. 

The number of people that complain about legal protests at a grassroots level is generally pretty small. 

Yeah I'd like to know where all these celebrities/players or Kaepernick speaking out against violence  
I'm not sure we can draw any conclusions from them not saying anything. There could be a myriad number of reasons. That said, somehow their silence does speak volumes, doesn't it? One witnessed one of the more political voices in entertainment today, Killer Mike of Run The Jewels, emphasize that while he understood the protestors' anger and that the country has a troubling history of racism and problems with policing, that it was a person's duty not to loot and riot and instead create effective change through legal methods.

Hopefully some can choose not to frame it as a choice between burning businesses down and "get back to the fields and know your role". 

Users who are viewing this thread