Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
In The Zone

Another killing at the hands of the Police

12 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with a girl who saw Trump pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it’s pretty serious.

The actress who spoke those lines (Kristy Swanson) is a big MAGA fan, unfortunately. 

Just now, roadkill1292 said:

It's definitely different. But that still doesn't guarantee a Trump loss in five months.

It does.. Look Trump has his base... but no way does this play well with independent voters.   All we needed was the President to show some empathy and compassion. President Trump is acting like a caged dog (not saying he is but his actions) that he feels he has nothing left but to attack out!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

The actress who spoke those lines (Kristy Swanson) is a big MAGA fan, unfortunately. 

loved her in that Growing Pains episode

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Kal El said:

The bunker thing was bad, this is worse. Now he looks both weak and petulant.

I didn’t think the bunker thing was bad at all. We need to protect the President and he needs to follow the direction of his secret service detail. 

But this walk to the church for a photo op (with all the related security and tear gassing protesters) is simply inexplicable. 

Edited by bigbottom
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Honest question though, do people pose for pictures with their Bibles?  Is that a thing?  Or is this akin to Trump hugging the flag?

No they don’t.  No its not a thing. Yes it’s basically the same pandering concept as the flag hugging.

Edited by sho nuff

2 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

And this is something new?

No, but it is the most obvious sign of such that I've seen in some time. Him getting booed off the screen during the World Series was I think the last time I saw it.

It would have been funny to see Trump get arrested for breaking curfew.

• Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, fruity pebbles said:
4 minutes ago, GROOT said:

OMG the fake outrage is unbearable

Her outrage doesn’t seem fake at all. 

I'm old enough to remember when Groot was asking how people could question Trump's religious beliefs. Now he's mocking a Bishop's outrage at Trump.

• Like 3

I feel like this country went from "functioning in kind of an embarrassing but whatever" state to "failed state" in like three months.  Our CDC had one job and couldn't do it.  Our FDA had one job -- kill people through unreasonable risk aversion -- and performed admirably, but not in a positive way.  Our federal government did nothing during the pandemic and left states to fend for themselves.  Now these riots come along and our president, who doesn't really have anything to do with any of this, actively works to make things worse.  While police assault peaceful protesters who are exercising their first amendment rights, and while privileged white kids LARPing as anarchists burn down buildings owned by innocent third parties.  I am just about checked out at this point.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

8 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

It looks like some of us still have a poor understanding of the valid uses of anonymous sources in the news gathering process.

👍

Just now, IvanKaramazov said:

I feel like this country went from "functioning in kind of an embarrassing but whatever" state to "failed state" in like three months.  Our CDC had one job and couldn't do it.  Our FDA had one job -- kill people through unreasonable risk aversion -- and performed admirably, but not in a positive way.  Our federal government did nothing during the pandemic and left states to fend for themselves.  Now these riots come along and our president, who doesn't really have anything to do with any of this, actively works to make things worse.  While police assault peaceful protesters who are exercising their first amendment rights, and while privileged white kids LARPing as anarchists burn down buildings owned by innocent third parties.  I am just about checked out at this point.

Just go watch Ozark

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Amused to Death said:

I'm old enough to remember when Groot was asking how people could question Trump's religious beliefs. Now he's mocking a Bishop's outrage at Trump.

Outrage and religious beliefs...I didn't know they were the same

1 hour ago, sporthenry said:

Guess he is going back to the old divide and conquer playbook. Suppose this will play well to his base, as evidenced by this thread. But missed a chance to actually bring the country together. 

He has zero interest in bringing the country together - zero.

Just now, djmich said:

Just go watch Ozark

Seriously, people ask "But Ivan, why don't you want people injecting politics into your football escapism?" and it's as if nobody understands how unhealthy this situation is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mean let's be honest, there will be a lot of things between now and the election that will ultimately matter to a lot of folks. Ultimately, it seems to come down to suburban votes, more specifically, suburban white woman. Trump seems to have been losing ground there. Law and order would seem to play to them a bit but given most riots and looting were in cities, I'm not sure how 'scared' those votes likely were. 

2 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

I didn’t think the bunker thing was bad at all. We need to protect the President and he needs to follow the direction of his secret service detail. 

But this walk to the church for a photo op (with all the necessary security and tear gassing protesters) is simply inexplicable. 

His presumed opponent, who has a detail of his own, mind you, was out and about last night while Trump went where his golf game often takes him. Granted, I don't know where Delaware ranks on the list of potential violent states, but it isn't a good look.

1 minute ago, GROOT said:

Outrage and religious beliefs...I didn't know they were the same

There are reasons to question Trump's religious belief.  Why are you questioning the Bishop's anger at Trump's stunt?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GROOT said:

CNN didn't have this tone when their own HQ were attacked days ago.........

CNN is extra wild tonight. I haven’t had this much fun watching since the good ole fake Russia story days. They are completely off the chain.

5 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

There are reasons to question Trump's religious belief.  Why are you questioning the Bishop's anger at Trump's stunt?

Because she disagreed with Trump, so she must be part of the deep state.

2 minutes ago, Widbil83 said:

CNN is extra wild tonight. I haven’t had this much fun watching since the good ole fake Russia story days. They are completely off the chain.

They are. :lmao:

11 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Honest question though, do people pose for pictures with their Bibles?  Is that a thing?  Or is this akin to Trump hugging the flag?

From last week:

THE PRESIDENT:  Well, thank you very much, Ben [Carson].

You know, I had to run against him, and he was very tough.  And he was even tougher when he’d run onto a stage holding a Bible up in the air.  That was tough.  I said, “That’s tough to beat.” 

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-cabinet-meeting-17/

5 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

YES....Mariann Budde...doesn't like Trump. google it. It's fake outrage.

• Love 1
  • Laughing 1

9 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

He has zero interest in bringing the country together - zero.

The sad truth is this country has not been together for a long time before Trump and no sure it ever will be together again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I think the "bunker" thing isn't referring specifically to the couple hours Trump spent in the basement, but the 5 days it took him to address the protests (unless you count #####ing and moaning on Twitter). He even had no-questions-allowed "press conference" on Friday, but all he could talk about was China and handing the WHO over to them.

(Hong Kong is turning Communist if you haven't heard, but we have no friends left, no leverage left, and no moral authority left to do anything about it. Taiwan is next)

2 minutes ago, GROOT said:

Not liking him doesn't mean her disgust over his pandering is faux.

You can also google his lack of any real religious beliefs.

Quite a number of interesting responses from influential people in this NPR feed (and in response to others posted above).

16 minutes ago, greenroom said:

It does.. Look Trump has his base... but no way does this play well with independent voters.   All we needed was the President to show some empathy and compassion. President Trump is acting like a caged dog (not saying he is but his actions) that he feels he has nothing left but to attack out!

I wouldn’t be so sure. I’m expecting the worst. I’m kind of fatalistic now about things. This country is far different from what I grew up thinking we were.  Now, we’re exceptional.

Had I a choice, I would have chosen a different country to grow up and live in. Probably Canada.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

5 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

The sad truth is this country has not been together for a long time before Trump and no sure it ever will be together again.

Sad, but totally agree

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I’ve been a huge critic of cnn for years.  Got made fun of quite a bit for it in this forum.  I think they are being quite balanced tonight.  

Edited by shader
  • Laughing 1

22 minutes ago, GROOT said:

OMG the fake outrage is unbearable

If you thought the 200 lb man kneeling on a guy's neck until he's dead was bad, wait till you see the fake outrage! It's unbearable!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Ranethe said:

I wouldn’t be so sure. I’m expecting the worst. I’m kind of fatalistic now about things. This country is far different from what I grew up thinking we were.  Now, we’re exceptional.

Had I a choice, I would have chosen a different country to grow up and live in. Probably Canada.

I faer it too...but seeing more signs of friends who have been conservatives ever since i have o own them and are speaking up about him now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GROOT said:

If she doesn't like Trump (I'll take your word for it), wouldn't that make her outrage even more believable? I mean, he used her church as a prop. She distanced herself and her diocese from the stunt.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

The really sad truth is, knowing that, one might endeavor to alter the trajectory. I agree in spirit though, a divorce is necessary for the health of both sides (both sides).

• Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, shader said:

I’ve been a huge critic of cnn for years.  Got made fun of quite a bit for it in this forum.  I think they are being quite balanced tonight.  

😳😳😳

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ranethe said:

I'm actively embarrassed when speaking to friends in other countries now. Even Brits, who are always quick to soothe me with tales of old Boris. 

I never thought I'd say that I'm embarrassed to be an American, but I am right now. Not 'no longer proud,'  it's genuine embarrassment. That's not entirely due to Trump, but it's a big part of it. 

Save the "there's the door..." posts. I know, I can leave. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, Ranethe said:

The really sad truth is, knowing that, one might endeavor to alter the trajectory. I agree in spirit though, a divorce is necessary for the health of both sides (both sides).

Agreed, I really thought when Obama mentioned “change” he wasn’t going to divide and talk down to one half of the country. Divorce sounds good. 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2