What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (12 Viewers)

Hmm. Some $200 stolen out of my tenants cash register. This was clearly the work of 

A. White supremacists

B. Antifa terrorists 

C. Some local punks using the opportunity of the protests to make a quick score

I’ll let you guys decide. 
I vote C.  Too bad your Governor is making it easy for these local punks to loot and steal.

Hmm. Some $200 stolen out of my tenants cash register. This was clearly the work of 

A. White supremacists

B. Antifa terrorists 

Not sure it matters...however, my question is, unless its policy...why was there any cash in the register given the events that have been going on?  Had they closed the whole time and not been back in to remove such items?

Aren't those rules already in place at the state and local level? And if they aren't couldn't we start there instead of jumping to the feds?

I guess I didn't know we were talking about tanks. What sort are we taking about here? I don't think the MPD is rolling around in an M1 Abrams.

And I'll be in Tulsa this weekend. I'll get back to you on the jungle thing. ;)

But again, what does this have to do with police brutality?
:goodposting:

Well my family’s shopping center in Lakewood escaped the night before but not last night. Broken glass, our donut tenant got their cash register looted. That’s all the damage I’m aware of but I’m headed there right now. 

I don’t think it was Antifa...
They left a note telling you who they weren't?   Security cameras?

SIAP, but in regard to the video last night of the APD tazing two people in a car that was just driving by- 2 cops have been fired for excessive force. 
DA is pressing charges. The male driver broke his wrist and had a deep cut that required 27 stitches when he was pulled from the car.

ETA- Cops lied and said that the occupants pulled a gun and tried to run them over. No physical evidence or evidence on the tape that corroborates the cops’ story.

Charging 6 officers total. 2 have been fired as noted above. The other 4 are in desk duty for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
under Obama, the poor hated the rich, women hated men, urban hates rural, citizens hate police, Christian hates muslim, gay hates straight, left hates right .... Obama truly was the Great Divider ... there was NOTHING inclusive and nobody was brought together under him
This has been true for decades.  When you say "under Obama" it seems like you don't realize that.

Binyamin Appelbaum @BCAppelbaum
So far as I can tell, our political leaders are divided between those who say they support the protesters but have no plans to change anything, and those who aren’t bothering to pretend.

Gov. Pritzker of Illinois was just on NPR. Much tough words about Trump. Much sympathy for protesters. Then he was asked what he planned to do about police violence and it was like listening to a car break down.

Is there a mayor who has offered a tangible plan? A governor? This is primarily a local and state issue. It is elected Democrats who are most immediately standing in the path of necessary change.

I just want to make sure we’re all on the same page of what happened last night in D.C. Anyone is free to correct any inaccuracies I may have.

Curfew in DC last night was 7pm. At around 6:30pm DC police and National Guard fired tear gas into protestors who were largely peaceful in order to clear them out so that President Trump could give a speech and then get a photo op in front of a church. Protestors and clergy on the church’s lawn were part of those that were affected by the teargas. In his speech, our President said he would deploy the military on US soil.

Offensive? It’s bad people tim , what do you think it’s the act of wayward boys. 
Are you plywooding windows, it’s in short supply now in Boston
1. It’s bad people. The use of the word hombres is offensive. But you know that. Just stop. 
2. I don’t know yet. 

I just want to make sure we’re all on the same page of what happened last night in D.C. Anyone is free to correct any inaccuracies I may have.

Curfew in DC last night was 7pm. At around 6:30pm DC police and National Guard fired tear gas into protestors who were largely peaceful in order to clear them out so that President Trump could give a speech and then get a photo op in front of a church. Protestors and clergy on the church’s lawn were part of those that were affected by the teargas. In his speech, our President said he would deploy the military on US soil.
False 

There’s a protest scheduled in my bougie neighborhood 40 miles outside Atlanta on Thursday. Supposedly there are threats against a very expensive neighborhood across the street from where the protest will take place. I have to work Thu, so won’t be around, but it’s surreal that this could possibly happen so close. This is a bedroom community, way outside Atlanta. Strange times...

I think that's a roughly accurate summary. Also, shocking no one given this administration's penchant for denying things we see with our own eyes -- Trump's people supposedly released a statement decrying Biden for "repeating the erroneous claim that protesters in Lafayette Park were tear gassed last night to clear a path for Pres. Trump, when Park Police says they used no tear gas." This is contrary to all video evidence of the event (recorded by citizens, national, and foreign media).

Haircut protests?  The protests were about a govenor who outlawed visiting family, friends and neighbors.  Who outlawed farm stores as non-essential while liquor stores stsyed opened.  Who outlawed motor boats and visiting vacstion homes.   This forum is amazing.  
And these ones are about someone getting murdered by a cop in plain sight.

Neither calls for storming the capital with guns.

DA is pressing charges. The male driver broke his wrist and had a deep cut that required 27 stitches when he was pulled from the car.

ETA- Cops lied and said that the occupants pulled a gun and tried to run them over. No physical evidence or evidence on the tape that corroborates the cops’ story.

Charging 6 officers total. 2 have been fired as noted above. The other 4 are in desk duty for now.
Having dealt with the Atlanta PD in that area it all just depends on the one you get.  It doesn't surprise me, but they also had equal chance of just having the cash lifted out of their pockets and sent on their way.

Of course, many of the comments are people complaining about how they now have to talk to their children about what it meant. God forbid.
Sersiously. Everyone needs to have a conversation with their kids about this ####. It isn't easy, but when cities are burning we owe it to them to talk about what the #### is going on in this country. And yes, that includes talking about the looters and rioters and protestors and trying our best to explain the differences

Yeah I don’t get that either. Yesterday I advised them to remove their ATM machine. They did that. I didn’t tell them to empty their cash register, I didn’t think I had to tell them that. 
That part makes me question how savvy they could be running the business.  Either way though sorry that happened to both you and them.  Hopefully it's just a bump in the road for them.  Not that it's good,  but better than losing tens of thousands of inventory and someone setting fire to the place.

A. White supremacists

B. Antifa terrorists 

First, I hope your property damage is minimal, and obviously feel awful for the losses that businesses are suffering. 

The criminal activity among peaceful protests is despicable, and it seems like municipalities are understanding that these are 2 separate issues. 1) Protests and 2) Crimes of opportunity committed among protests. I believe option C falls into that category, to answer the question.

Curfews seem to help. Houston is a good example. NYC is slow to the decision. That's a mistake. At least finally now they are doing 8PM and extended it through Sunday. That was probably 2 days too late.

My humble opinion: I'm going to stay far away from the group politics on this. It's highly divisive now and we don't need it. Blame individuals for their crimes, avoid broad brushes, and for now avoid the politics. There's a lot of things we need to normalize first. A pandemic and mass unemployment chief among them. I'm going to resist playing the politics of which "group" or "side" is right. No one is right. We need to fix this all first.

I think that's a roughly accurate summary. Also, shocking no one given this administration's penchant for denying things we see with our own eyes -- Trump's people supposedly released a statement decrying Biden for "repeating the erroneous claim that protesters in Lafayette Park were tear gassed last night to clear a path for Pres. Trump, when Park Police says they used no tear gas." This is contrary to all video evidence of the event (recorded by citizens, national, and foreign media).
I'm also awaiting evidence of the "three verbal warnings" they supposedly gave the protestors before firing on them, could just be my left-wing echo bubble that's suppressing this; hoping someone here can share.

The Commish said:
This has been true for decades.  When you say "under Obama" it seems like you don't realize that.
I've been around 50 years ... I know what escalated in those 8 years and it was unbelievable :(  

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — A Louisville police officer involved in the fatal shooting of West End business owner David McAtee had celebrated earlier on Facebook when a protester was shot by pepper balls.

Officer Katie Crews, who was placed on administrative reassignment Monday in the fatal shooting, posted a Courier Journal photo of a protester across from her and said "I hope the pepper balls that she got lit up with a little later on hurt."

A screenshot of the post has circulated on social media sites.

New LMPD Chief Robert Schroeder said Monday night he is aware of the post and has started a professional standards investigation into it. 

The photo in Crews' post, taken Thursday, shows a protester offering flowers to Crews, who is staring back at her.

"She was saying and doing a lot more than ‘offering flowers’ to me. Just so for it to be known," Crews wrote in the post. "For anyone that knows me and knows that facial expression tells everything."

And after mentioning the pepper balls, Crews ended the post with: "Come back and get ya some more ole girl, I’ll be on the line again tonight.”

Crews joined the Louisville Metro Police Department in 2018 and does not have any disciplinary records, according to the department.

After learning that Crews and LMPD Officer Allen Austin had no body camera footage from the shooting incident in which McAtee died, Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer fired Chief Steve Conrad, who was slated to retire at the end of the month.

Police say that shortly after midnight Monday, someone shot at officers from a parking lot at 26th and Broadway where a large number of people were gathered. LMPD and National Guard troops returned fire, killing McAtee, who ran a popular barbecue stand nearby.

Police have said they don't know if McAtee was the person who had fired at police
Wow......Here's the pic.  

:(

shader said:
I don't think Antifa is a major instigator, nor do I think there are secret groups of white nationalists causing issues.

IMO there are 4 main issues at play:

1. Legitimate protests to a horrible killing that are creating large crowds.  This creates the opportunity for these events.

2. Massive unemployment rates at levels not seen since the Great Depression.  This adds to the number of people that can be out protesting and that have little to lose.

3. Police that in many cases treat all protesters as if they are potentially violent.  This fuels the angers of the protesters.  If you've watched a stream for more than 30 minutes, NOT ON THE MSM, but on the internet, you can watch it happen.  The cops don't smile, stand there in their masks and riot gear, and don't treat the protesters like humans.  The protesters just get angrier and angrier. 

4. Large Crowds are dangerous and it's very easy for bad apples to cause chaos.

Edit:  I guess I forgot the big one.  There's been a brewing left vs right animosity for years.  It's always played out behind a keyboard....
Spot on.  I’m really not sure why this is so hard for people to see.  I mean #### when a city’s team wins a championship we see cars being overturned and burned (and worse), and that’s supposed to be a celebration.  The mob mentality is real. 

Stealthycat said:
under Obama, the poor hated the rich, women hated men, urban hates rural, citizens hate police, Christian hates muslim, gay hates straight, left hates right .... Obama truly was the Great Divider ... there was NOTHING inclusive and nobody was brought together under him
So none of these people hate the other anymore under the great unifier Trump?  Awesome, world peace has been achieved.  Good to hear.  

the moops said:
Sersiously. Everyone needs to have a conversation with their kids about this ####. It isn't easy, but when cities are burning we owe it to them to talk about what the #### is going on in this country. And yes, that includes talking about the looters and rioters and protestors and trying our best to explain the differences
I hope this doesn't get lost in the thread...

Tips for Talking About Race with Small Children (podcast)
How to Talk to Kids About Race - The Atlantic (video)
Talking to Children After Racial Incidents - Penn GSE News
Talking to Children About Racial Bias by Ashaunta Anderson and Jacqueline Douge
https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2020/06/02/teach-talk-children-racism-violence-protests-raceHow To Talk To Your Kids About Race, Racism And Police Violence

ren hoek said:
Binyamin Appelbaum @BCAppelbaum
So far as I can tell, our political leaders are divided between those who say they support the protesters but have no plans to change anything, and those who aren’t bothering to pretend.

Gov. Pritzker of Illinois was just on NPR. Much tough words about Trump. Much sympathy for protesters. Then he was asked what he planned to do about police violence and it was like listening to a car break down.

Is there a mayor who has offered a tangible plan? A governor? This is primarily a local and state issue. It is elected Democrats who are most immediately standing in the path of necessary change.

There's a Presidential candidate who did.

timschochet said:
Yeah I don’t get that either. Yesterday I advised them to remove their ATM machine. They did that. I didn’t tell them to empty their cash register, I didn’t think I had to tell them that. 
One trick I used in my restaurants for years with cash registers was at the end of the night to leave the drawer open, not closed and locked. That way when a robbery happened they would see it at the register was empty, it saves you at least the cost of having to replace a register.  This is all assuming of course that the register is emptied every night. 

The firing of the police chief kind of seems like a bit of a PR misdirect too IMO. He got fired 1 month before he was retiring anyway. And typically when you’re fired like that the big thing is that it eliminates the pension for that person. In this case, they are still giving him his pension. So basically the punishment was to force him into retirement a month early.

GroveDiesel said:

True.

Here's a FB post by The Rev. Gini Gerbasi (as shared by my pastor):

"Friends, I am ok, but I am, frankly shaken. I was at St. John's, Lafayette Square most of the afternoon, with fellow clergy and laypeople - and clergy from some other denominations too. We were passing out water and snacks, and helping the patio area at St. John's, Lafayette square to be a place of respite and peace. All was well - with a few little tense moments - until about 6:15 or so. By then, I had connected with the Black Lives Matter medic team, which was headed by an EMT. Those people were AMAZING. They had been on the patio all day, and thankfully had not had to use much of the eyewash they had made. Around 6:15 or 6:30, the police started really pushing protestors off of H Street (the street between the church and Lafayette Park, and ultimately, the White House. They started using tear gas and folks were running at us for eyewashes or water or wet paper towels. At this point, Julia, one of our seminarians for next year (who is a trauma nurse) and I looked at each other in disbelief. I was coughing, her eyes were watering, and we were trying to help people as the police - in full riot gear - drove people toward us. Julia and her classmates left and I stayed with the BLM folks trying to help people. Suddenly, around 6:30, there was more tear gas, more concussion grenades, and I think I saw someone hit by a rubber bullet - he was grasping his stomach and there was a mark on his shirt. The police in their riot gear were literally walking onto the St. John's, Lafayette Square patio with these metal shields, pushing people off the patio and driving them back. People were running at us as the police advanced toward us from the other side of the patio. We had to try to pick up what we could. The BLM medic folks were obviously well practiced. They picked up boxes and ran. I was so stunned I only got a few water bottles and my spray bottle of eyewash. We were literally DRIVEN OFF of the St. John's, Lafayette Square patio with tear gas and concussion grenades and police in full riot gear. We were pushed back 20 feet, and then eventually - with SO MANY concussion grenades - back to K street. By the time I got back to my car, around 7, I was getting texts from people saying that Trump was outside of St. John's, Lafayette Square. I literally COULD NOT believe it. WE WERE DRIVEN OFF OF THE PATIO AT ST. JOHN'S - a place of peace and respite and medical care throughout the day - SO THAT MAN COULD HAVE A PHOTO OPPORTUNITY IN FRONT OF THE CHURCH!!! PEOPLE WERE HURT SO THAT HE COULD POSE IN FRONT OF THE CHURCH WITH A BIBLE! HE WOULD HAVE HAD TO STEP OVER THE MEDICAL SUPPLIES WE LEFT BEHIND BECAUSE WE WERE BEING TEAR GASSED!!!!

I am deeply shaken. I did not see any protestors throw anything until the tear gas and concussion grenades started, and then it was mostly water bottles. I am shaken, not so much by the taste of tear gas and the bit of a cough I still have, but by the fact that that show of force was for a PHOTO OPPORTUNITY. The patio of St. John's, Lafayette square had been HOLY GROUND today. A place of respite and laughter and water and granola bars and fruit snacks. But that man turned it into a BATTLE GROUND first, and a cheap political stunt second. I am DEEPLY OFFENDED on behalf of every protestor, every Christian, the people of St. John's, Lafayette square, every decent person there, and the BLM medics who stayed with just a single box of supplies and a backpack, even when I got too scared and had to leave. I am ok. But I am now a force to be reckoned with."

And what a missed opportunity for the president.  He could have walked through the Square and talked/listened to the protesters and/or joined the pastors and BLM folks at the church.  That would have been a powerful moment ...possibly the powerful moment the nation needed.  Alas ...
but in his defense, it wouldn't have been very dominating, so......

True.

Here's a FB post by The Rev. Gini Gerbasi (as shared by my pastor):

"Friends, I am ok, but I am, frankly shaken. I was at St. John's, Lafayette Square most of the afternoon, with fellow clergy and laypeople - and clergy from some other denominations too. We were passing out water and snacks, and helping the patio area at St. John's, Lafayette square to be a place of respite and peace. All was well - with a few little tense moments - until about 6:15 or so. By then, I had connected with the Black Lives Matter medic team, which was headed by an EMT. Those people were AMAZING. They had been on the patio all day, and thankfully had not had to use much of the eyewash they had made. Around 6:15 or 6:30, the police started really pushing protestors off of H Street (the street between the church and Lafayette Park, and ultimately, the White House. They started using tear gas and folks were running at us for eyewashes or water or wet paper towels. At this point, Julia, one of our seminarians for next year (who is a trauma nurse) and I looked at each other in disbelief. I was coughing, her eyes were watering, and we were trying to help people as the police - in full riot gear - drove people toward us. Julia and her classmates left and I stayed with the BLM folks trying to help people. Suddenly, around 6:30, there was more tear gas, more concussion grenades, and I think I saw someone hit by a rubber bullet - he was grasping his stomach and there was a mark on his shirt. The police in their riot gear were literally walking onto the St. John's, Lafayette Square patio with these metal shields, pushing people off the patio and driving them back. People were running at us as the police advanced toward us from the other side of the patio. We had to try to pick up what we could. The BLM medic folks were obviously well practiced. They picked up boxes and ran. I was so stunned I only got a few water bottles and my spray bottle of eyewash. We were literally DRIVEN OFF of the St. John's, Lafayette Square patio with tear gas and concussion grenades and police in full riot gear. We were pushed back 20 feet, and then eventually - with SO MANY concussion grenades - back to K street. By the time I got back to my car, around 7, I was getting texts from people saying that Trump was outside of St. John's, Lafayette Square. I literally COULD NOT believe it. WE WERE DRIVEN OFF OF THE PATIO AT ST. JOHN'S - a place of peace and respite and medical care throughout the day - SO THAT MAN COULD HAVE A PHOTO OPPORTUNITY IN FRONT OF THE CHURCH!!! PEOPLE WERE HURT SO THAT HE COULD POSE IN FRONT OF THE CHURCH WITH A BIBLE! HE WOULD HAVE HAD TO STEP OVER THE MEDICAL SUPPLIES WE LEFT BEHIND BECAUSE WE WERE BEING TEAR GASSED!!!!

I am deeply shaken. I did not see any protestors throw anything until the tear gas and concussion grenades started, and then it was mostly water bottles. I am shaken, not so much by the taste of tear gas and the bit of a cough I still have, but by the fact that that show of force was for a PHOTO OPPORTUNITY. The patio of St. John's, Lafayette square had been HOLY GROUND today. A place of respite and laughter and water and granola bars and fruit snacks. But that man turned it into a BATTLE GROUND first, and a cheap political stunt second. I am DEEPLY OFFENDED on behalf of every protestor, every Christian, the people of St. John's, Lafayette square, every decent person there, and the BLM medics who stayed with just a single box of supplies and a backpack, even when I got too scared and had to leave. I am ok. But I am now a force to be reckoned with."
Exactly...this was not telling violent or illegal masses to disperse and then tear gassing them...it was not clearing the way to show respect for the church...how about informing the people who actually work at the church that the President would like to do this...to show the Church is still there after fires the night before.  Would that have been difficult. And if they say no...then that is their right as well.  He doesn't own the church, the government doesn't own it or control it.

Users who are viewing this thread