What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (9 Viewers)

Tough love.

The better question is Why do they?   
Ask them and listen to them.  

A lot of pissed off people, I get that.  I am all for retooling and reworking the system, but I cant get behind something that would demand no police/security.  Unless I missed the replacement idea in my scan of the link. 

A lot of pissed off people, I get that.  I am all for retooling and reworking the system, but I cant get behind something that would demand no police/security.  Unless I missed the replacement idea in my scan of the link. 
I dont negotiate with terrorists. 

Very very few people actually want this. The people you’re talking to hear are focusing on the extremists’ demands so that they can oppose any reasonable reform. It’s their SOP; they’ve successfully done it with gun control for years. 

Again, talking to people and trying to understand them is not negotiation.  

You be you.  Just hope you keep safe if you get your wish.  
Not my job to figure out why arsonists, looters, and assaulters are terrorizing the city. That's the democrtic city councils job whom have been caving to a lot their demands. It's a disaster. 

I'm not worried, I live in the burbs, no way I'd live in that liberal dumpster fire. 

Key points the Atlanta DA just mentioned:

They never told him he was under arrest
Someone stood on his shoulder while he fought for his life
He kicked Brooks while he was on the ground
No one called for paramedics within 2 minutes as is required 
Their demeanor, before, after and during did not show a fear for their lives
The shot was made from 18 feet
The officer yelled 'I got him
Local law does not even let you fire a taser at a fleeing suspect.
The taser was fired twice, making it useless
One of the cops will testify FOR the prosecution

Has it come out that this was a lie?

Came home for Father’s Day. My BIL is a principal at a local high school, and he knows a few cops now from the various security jobs they do for the school.He says the younger ones he talked to are looking to quit the force. 

Go listen to the Sam Harris podcast. The system needs work, but numbers show it’s already getting better, and when it comes to statistics on shootings, the racial bias just isn’t there. Some people want to throw out the baby with the bath water, and it’s going to lead to less people wanting to do the job. It already is. Who wants to put their life on the line making split second decisions when they can get charged with murder for something like the Brooks shooting? You want to tell me no cop looks at that spectacle the Atlanta DA put on the other day, where he lied at least twice by my count, and they aren’t going to think anything of it? You think some kid in a police academy wants to graduate and join the force? Nobody, no, and no. 

But yeah, anecdotal, and I’m sure we will just hire better cops and send in social workers in the meantime. 

Came home for Father’s Day. My BIL is a principal at a local high school, and he knows a few cops now from the various security jobs they do for the school.He says the younger ones he talked to are looking to quit the force. 

Go listen to the Sam Harris podcast. The system needs work, but numbers show it’s already getting better, and when it comes to statistics on shootings, the racial bias just isn’t there. Some people want to throw out the baby with the bath water, and it’s going to lead to less people wanting to do the job. It already is. Who wants to put their life on the line making split second decisions when they can get charged with murder for something like the Brooks shooting? You want to tell me no cop looks at that spectacle the Atlanta DA put on the other day, where he lied at least twice by my count, and they aren’t going to think anything of it? You think some kid in a police academy wants to graduate and join the force? Nobody, no, and no. 

But yeah, anecdotal, and I’m sure we will just hire better cops and send in social workers in the meantime. 
It's a job that basically has no qualifications so doesn't seem like it would be hard to find replacements.

It's a job that basically has no qualifications so doesn't seem like it would be hard to find replacements.
That phrasing is a bit flippant for a job that I am guessing not many of us are willing to do.  

We have a kid at the store who is going through the process now.  The background check and interview process is no joke.  He did talk about physical test, and he is in decent shape, so he joked a little about the physical test, but I dont remember specifics there.  

Now - advocating for reform in the sense that we continue having testing after the are hired, maybe an independent review that is in charge of the hiring, etc.  That's different.  

JMO - but a post like that probably will stoke the flames of that us vs them mentality. 

Cops in California shoot and kill a security guard

If you scroll through the thread, there’s some weird things. Why did the cops come? They are saying they pulled their weapons on the security guard and the guard ran so they shot him. Why are they shouting someone for running?? What crime did they even think they were investigating. The cops claim they fired one shot, the witnesses say it was multiple shots. The shop owner says the cops destroyed his security cameras, ripping it out of the wall.

That phrasing is a bit flippant for a job that I am guessing not many of us are willing to do.  

We have a kid at the store who is going through the process now.  The background check and interview process is no joke.  He did talk about physical test, and he is in decent shape, so he joked a little about the physical test, but I dont remember specifics there.  

Now - advocating for reform in the sense that we continue having testing after the are hired, maybe an independent review that is in charge of the hiring, etc.  That's different.  

JMO - but a post like that probably will stoke the flames of that us vs them mentality. 
extremely  :goodposting:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBeE6UHBQeD/?igshid=82uvwhmvbind
An interesting thread regarding defunding the police.  
that's a great summary. If those numbers for Baltimore's budget are real, that's an incredible disparity.

I saw a debate on local TV here in North Florida where the Jacksonville mayor and sheriff were talking with local community leaders and it came out that 40% of the city budget goes to the police. 

when I hear stuff like that and see the graph of Baltimore's budget where the percentage looks even higher, it's easy to understand where the Defund The Police thing is coming from (although that's a terrible slogan, it sounds like it means get rid of the cops entirely). 

https://www.startribune.com/minority-corrections-officers-kept-from-monitoring-derek-chauvin-in-jail-george-floyd/571391442/

Eight minority Ramsey County corrections officers have filed discrimination charges with the state’s Department of Human Rights after they were barred from guarding or having any other contact with former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin last month.

Chauvin was booked at the county jail the same day he was charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter in the death of George Floyd.

As Chauvin arrived, all officers of color were ordered to a separate floor, and a supervisor told one of them that, because of their race, they would be a potential “liability” around Chauvin, according a copy of racial discrimination charges obtained by the Star Tribune.

“I understood that the decision to segregate us had been made because we could not be trusted to carry out our work responsibilities professionally around the high-profile inmate — solely because of the color of our skin,” wrote one acting sergeant, who is black. “I am not aware of a similar situation where white officers were segregated from an inmate.”

No they aren't
Yeah, that simply isn't true.

I'm currently in the suburbs of Atlanta and was actually just checking out neighborhoods in North Atlanta this weekend. I'm planning to move there once my lease is up in February. Granted I'm younger but the vast majority of my friends live in cities and they love it.

Suburbs are for sure nice (I grew up in the Philly suburbs and loved it) and when raising a family it makes all the sense in the world, but as a younger person there is just so much more to do in the city. Of course with every city you have your dangerous parts, but there are also plenty of safe areas.

Yeah, that simply isn't true.

I'm currently in the suburbs of Atlanta and was actually just checking out neighborhoods in North Atlanta this weekend. I'm planning to move there once my lease is up in February. Granted I'm younger but the vast majority of my friends live in cities and they love it.

Suburbs are for sure nice (I grew up in the Philly suburbs and loved it) and when raising a family it makes all the sense in the world, but as a younger person there is just so much more to do in the city. Of course with every city you have your dangerous parts, but there are also plenty of safe areas.
You literally posted this between posts about a shooting in Atlanta where the dead victim's girlfriend started the Wendy's on fire and two more people have been shot since during the protests.   :mellow:

Enjoy your night on the town downtown! 

Cops in California shoot and kill a security guard

If you scroll through the thread, there’s some weird things. Why did the cops come? They are saying they pulled their weapons on the security guard and the guard ran so they shot him. Why are they shouting someone for running?? What crime did they even think they were investigating. The cops claim they fired one shot, the witnesses say it was multiple shots. The shop owner says the cops destroyed his security cameras, ripping it out of the wall.
More details from the LA Times...

Wegener said Guardado was under the 21-year age requirement to be a security guard in California. He said the victim was not wearing a gunbelt, a uniform or any marked clothing, and that the .40 caliber semiautomatic pistol he was carrying was not licensed.

The weapon with a polymer frame did not have a serial number, Wegener said, but it had an extended magazine with 15-round capacity, “larger than allowed” with 13 live rounds loaded. Authorities did not say whether Guardado fired any shots.

More details from the LA Times...

Wegener said Guardado was under the 21-year age requirement to be a security guard in California. He said the victim was not wearing a gunbelt, a uniform or any marked clothing, and that the .40 caliber semiautomatic pistol he was carrying was not licensed.

The weapon with a polymer frame did not have a serial number, Wegener said, but it had an extended magazine with 15-round capacity, “larger than allowed” with 13 live rounds loaded. Authorities did not say whether Guardado fired any shots.
There’s always going to be different sides with different stories so it’s good to monitor this more. Thanks for adding

There’s always going to be different sides with different stories so it’s good to monitor this more. Thanks for adding
Initial spin usually makes it sound worse than it was.  If he was just runnung away with his gun out, probably  not justified. 

You literally posted this between posts about a shooting in Atlanta where the dead victim's girlfriend started the Wendy's on fire and two more people have been shot since during the protests.   :mellow:

Enjoy your night on the town downtown! 
Do you think the city is just like a 2 mile radius and every area is exactly the same?

As I mentioned, with every city you have your dangerous parts, but there are also plenty of safe areas.

To give you some perspective, where I’d be moving to is over 10 miles north of where the Wendy’s that the shooting happened is located at. I also work in what is considered the heart of Downtown Atlanta and that is 4 miles north of that Wendy’s.

I was curious:  @Stealthycat in a couple bullet point do you think you could summarize what @PinkydaPimps stance on this topic is?
he believe black people are targeted by police for their skin color I think ... and that society hold back black people on their skin color and because of those invisible prejudices, the culture of black people suffer and they're victims with no way to escape 

why didn't you ask him what his bullet points were on understanding me ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Initial spin usually makes it sound worse than it was.  If he was just runnung away with his gun out, probably  not justified. 
Yeah but I agree, running away and having a gun aren’t reasons to kill someone. Have we found out yet why the cops went there in the first place?

There have been a lot of protests in Kansas City. That’s terrible what happened to that woman.
I've seen nothing but a blip

Floyd was a criminal committing crimes and it triggered - literally - world wide protests/riots/looting

why was this woman's killing less important ? 

You do understand that there can be two simultaneous problems: police brutality and racism, right?
oh I think there are a lot more than two problems - its just that the core problems are overlooked and racism and police brutality are the only ones targeted

I've seen nothing but a blip

Floyd was a criminal committing crimes and it triggered - literally - world wide protests/riots/looting

why was this woman's killing less important ? 
There has been protests in KC going on for several weeks. They have already made some reforms like adding more social workers. Also this lady wasn’t killed in Kansas City. She was killed in Sedalia which appears to be a 100 miles from KC. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread