What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (8 Viewers)

Another bad apple

Now, yes, this is an isolated incident with a single officer acting completely inappropriately. This is not evidence that all officers are like this at all.

However, the fact that he is still a police officer given the history reported in this article combined with that behavior is why there's continued distrust growing with police forces. Those in charge continue to allow him to "protect and serve" when it's clear he is not fit to work as a police officer.

The number of shots being responsibly fired for sure changes based on the circumstances. In this situation, I would say 1 shot would have been appropriate given the cops already tried other techniques to slow him down but couldn’t seem to do so and the fact that he leaned into his car. I think cops killing someone should be an absolute last resort though and I just don’t believe this was the case here.

I’ll admit this scenario is definitely a bit complicated and I can see the arguments for both sides. There are so many things Blake could have done better to prevent this from happening, but at the same time I don’t think what he did should have resulted in a death sentence which is essentially what the cop decided.

This isn’t a clear cut case of the officer being completely in the wrong like we’ve seen in the past with George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Elijah McClain, etc. The fact that I was just able to rattle off 3 names like that off the top of my head of cases that’ve happened in the past year alone might be why I’ve about had it with giving the cops the benefit of the doubt on anything related to this though.
Not gonna lie - what I’ve heard about the Breonna Taylor case, there is definitely a case to be made that the officers were not clearly in the wrong to have used their firearms. 

While I hate to see anyone wrongly killed by police and those should be fully prosecuted there are over 800,000 police in our country....what percentage of them are currently bad and why so many on one side want to defund police? All this police hate it must be a significant percentage?

Another bad apple

Now, yes, this is an isolated incident with a single officer acting completely inappropriately. This is not evidence that all officers are like this at all.

However, the fact that he is still a police officer given the history reported in this article combined with that behavior is why there's continued distrust growing with police forces. Those in charge continue to allow him to "protect and serve" when it's clear he is not fit to work as a police officer.
Abel has a history of high-profile on- and off-duty incidents, including being fired and charged criminally for pistol-whipping and accidentally shooting a man while Abel was off-duty and drinking on the South Side in 2008. A man allegedly punched Abel outside a bar. Abel pursued the man, hit him with his gun, and accidentally discharged his weapon, shooting the man in the hand. Turns out, though, it wasn’t even the man who bumped into Abel. 
Off duty, drinking, hits and shoots the wrong guy.......but hey everything is fine nothing to see here

Lancaster, PA - Guy runs at police wielding a knife and gets himself shot.  People riot and start burning things.  Who are the bad guys again?
Just read the story and saw the video.

1)  Looks to be completely justified.  I doubt you'll find anyone that thinks otherwise.

2)  This shooting happened yesterday.  The bodycam video is already released not even 24 hours later.  That's exactly how it should be.  Not weeks later.  Or 6 months later. 

3)  Not surprised there's a protest following another police shooting resulting in a death.  Any of the looters or rioters destroying property should be arrested and charged.  Not acceptable (never has been). 

4)  Hopefully with the release of the video so quickly, these protests/riots will die down just as quickly.  It's what should happen. 

Another bad apple

this kind of crap is just way too common and is why the police absolutely cannot be trusted to manage and discipline their officers correctly without outside oversight. Guys like this one, Derek Chauvin, and Gerald Goines (bad cop with a history who made false statements to obtain the no knock warrant in last year's police shooting in Pecan Park, Houston that killed two innocent homeowners) shouldn't be on the streets with these kind of records of behavior and citizen complaints.

every police force in the country ought to have their discipline reviews handled through a non-partisan public committee made up of appointed citizens and local government officials. There should be some officers (active or retired) acting in an advisory capacity, but the citizens should have full authority to discipline or remove problem officers.

Just read the story and saw the video.

1)  Looks to be completely justified.  I doubt you'll find anyone that thinks otherwise.

2)  This shooting happened yesterday.  The bodycam video is already released not even 24 hours later.  That's exactly how it should be.  Not weeks later.  Or 6 months later. 

3)  Not surprised there's a protest following another police shooting resulting in a death.  Any of the looters or rioters destroying property should be arrested and charged.  Not acceptable (never has been). 

4)  Hopefully with the release of the video so quickly, these protests/riots will die down just as quickly.  It's what should happen. 
agreed on all counts, but I'll go a little further than you on 3 and 4: these protests are starting to lose the plot and do more harm than good to public willingness to support change when people are going nuts over stupid stuff like this, and I think the authorities ought to act decisively to shut them down as soon as there's any type of violence or destruction of property. 

You didnt read the replies in the video link in that story then. Plenty of people thinking it wasnt justified. 

Eta: no shortage of people blaming the officer. 
Yep, what bizarro world do we live in? Dude is chasing a cop with a knife and people are upset the cop shoots him? What is wrong with this world.....disgusting.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2020/09/14/protests-erupt-in-pennsylvania-after-police-fatally-shoot-black-man-wielding-a-knife/amp/ 

Yep, what bizarro world do we live in? Dude is chasing a cop with a knife and people are upset the cop shoots him? What is wrong with this world.....disgusting.
Blue lives don't matter - that's all I can take away from the new view from liberal left 

a touchy feely social worker would have been hacked to death by that guy and then magically the left would blame police for NOT being there

and if police hadn't showed up, police would have been blamed

it'd be nice if someone put blame on the guy with the knife .... you know, a personal responsibility kinda thing 

Blue lives don't matter - that's all I can take away from the new view from liberal left 

a touchy feely social worker would have been hacked to death by that guy and then magically the left would blame police for NOT being there

and if police hadn't showed up, police would have been blamed

it'd be nice if someone put blame on the guy with the knife .... you know, a personal responsibility kinda thing 
What, you mean blaming the guy actually breaking the law? That’s  not ok anymore. We’ve confirmed that at least .00125% of police in this country are bad people so we are going to treat all of them like criminals and defund them. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Is anybody here actually arguing that the Lancaster shooting was unwarranted?  It seems like it would be better to wait and see if anybody takes that position before preemptively lashing out at hypothetical people who are taking that position in your imagination.

Is anybody here actually arguing that the Lancaster shooting was unwarranted?  It seems like it would be better to wait and see if anybody takes that position before preemptively lashing out at hypothetical people who are taking that position in your imagination.
I clicked on the link provided below.   The short answer is no, no one is blaming the officer.   Lots of people weighing in as lefties saying this is justified.

You didnt read the replies in the video link in that story then. Plenty of people thinking it wasnt justified. 

Eta: no shortage of people blaming the officer. 
See above.   

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2020/09/14/protests-erupt-in-pennsylvania-after-police-fatally-shoot-black-man-wielding-a-knife/amp/ 
Can't help but think that the protests are going to generate more people feeling like they have the right to threaten police...and it will not end well for them.

What, you mean blaming the guy actually breaking the law? That’s  not ok anymore. We’ve confirmed that at least .00125% of police in this country are bad people so we are going to treat all of them like criminals and defund them. 🤦🏻‍♂️
maybe NBA players will wear his picture on shirts this week ??  celebrating an accused rapist last week, maybe a knife wielding guy this week?  could happen :(

I clicked on the link provided below.   The short answer is no, no one is blaming the officer.   Lots of people weighing in as lefties saying this is justified.

See above.   
Huh? The first reply shown is some idiot talking about shooting in the knees. And if you read more from same dude he is dead serious. 

Then there is this...

This could have been handled differently. Why do cops always pull their gun first when they have other options and be trained to deescalate situations like this? Sure the guy had a knife but they have tasers and there are more than one of them. So sad.

Then this...

Cop didn’t even make an attempt to de-escalate or simply move away. Cop was way too trigger happy

More...

Has anyone watched the videos of police when they shoot dogs running towards them? This is what this video reminds me of. The complete lack of respect. The complete lack of appropriate training. Or the only training they've received is to shoot. And release footage asap.

More...

for those that are saying this was justifiable, if that was your son or daughter, would you still say yes my son or daughter should have been killed for running towards a cop with a knife? simple yes or no.

more...

It’s so weird that every mentally disturbed black guy with a knife gets executed but in England somehow their cops are trained enough to detain these same knife wielding individuals without deadly force. Why do our cops even have tasers?

More...

You know that other countries around the world handle people with weapons without immediately shooting them? Actual civilised countries I mean, but then again even third world countries (like the USA) often handle these situations without shooting first. US police are a disgrace

there are tons more like this. 

Just click the link i provided. Will take ten seconds to see many.

Don't agree with the police but he was charging at cop with a weapon. But hey maybe try using your stun gun first and if doesn't work then use ya pistol
In response to somebody pointing out this guy stabbed four people last year.

OK even if he did, he doesn't deserve to get shot and killed by the police. Why not use a taser? That's the whole reason why people are upset. Police are not executioners. If you're afraid all the time don't be a police officer.
Did the officer think the guy was gonna throw the knife like a ninja? The fact that the office fled then shot shows the officer panicked. It was not a standoff. No “drop your weapon or we will fire.” Clear example of pisspoor training and a cop I’ll equipped to use deadly force.
Are police officers need to learn that pulling the trigger is never your first thought but your last. We must make them responsible for their actions. If I shot someone because I was afraid I would be in jail for the rest of my life. Why are they not
Not justified
Police are trained to kill, plain & simple.....minded.

How about the replies in this twitter thread??? Surely that other one was just an anomaly right?

Taser him? Not lethal bullet. Lol fu*king net gun (joke). Active shooter response programs teach people to throw phones and books. But the police are in so much danger from one dude, in the open, with a knife that they have to gun him down?
They shouldn’t need to shoot to kill. They are supposed to be trained professionals. They should be able to shoot to diffuse the situation.
Another Biden...

police should not shoot to kill rather to disarm. why fire seven shots at a man while you can slow him down with one in the hand or leg
It seems that American police contrarely to police officers around the world does not practice any martial arts or any physical defense expertises, is it because most officers were former hairdressers or overweight?
It means that they have no de-escalation skills. Why are we holding our officers to such pathetically low standards?
Someone trained in non lethal combat could have easily disarmed and subdued him. Police could and should be trained for this. Unfortunately in this and most countries shoot to kill is the only training therefore history keeps repeating itself. Cowardly ignorance!

Ok,ok. I guess I just found the two threads with replies like that. Because in this thread nobody is doing that.

Well except this one guy.

There are other ways to disarm somebody with a knife
Well maybe more than one guy...

and the right continues to desperately lower the bar for what we should expect out of police. if u can’t disarm an autistic man with a knife, as a professional police officer, w/o killing him... then maybe u shouldn’t be a f***** cop

Because if our police can’t handle a disabled man with a knife without ginning him down, then it’s well past time we take some serious action to rebuild them from the ground up.
Ok, but that is only the first three replies right???

Right????

Huh? The first reply shown is some idiot talking about shooting in the knees. And if you read more from same dude he is dead serious. 

Then there is this...

This could have been handled differently. Why do cops always pull their gun first when they have other options and be trained to deescalate situations like this? Sure the guy had a knife but they have tasers and there are more than one of them. So sad.

Then this...

Cop didn’t even make an attempt to de-escalate or simply move away. Cop was way too trigger happy

More...

Has anyone watched the videos of police when they shoot dogs running towards them? This is what this video reminds me of. The complete lack of respect. The complete lack of appropriate training. Or the only training they've received is to shoot. And release footage asap.

More...

for those that are saying this was justifiable, if that was your son or daughter, would you still say yes my son or daughter should have been killed for running towards a cop with a knife? simple yes or no.

more...

It’s so weird that every mentally disturbed black guy with a knife gets executed but in England somehow their cops are trained enough to detain these same knife wielding individuals without deadly force. Why do our cops even have tasers?

More...

You know that other countries around the world handle people with weapons without immediately shooting them? Actual civilised countries I mean, but then again even third world countries (like the USA) often handle these situations without shooting first. US police are a disgrace

there are tons more like this. 

Alright, ya got me, I power skimmed.   Rereading in more depth changes my comment to "almost no one is blaming the police."    I'd put about 95% of the commentary as "justified", including a lot from posters who seemed possibly or definitely left leaning.  A sample:

Dangoss

I'm sorry to everyone currently rioting right now but this doesn't seem like another case like Jacob Blake's. This appears to be a justified case of self defense. What a gosh darn tragedy. I would still like to see what happened prior to this, though (if any footage exists).

AltCoin Slater 

This one seems justified people

Pork Chop Sandwiches

When I was younger I thought the same thing, but then I realized that they aren't sharpshooters. If you fire your weapon you fire it to neutralize the threat. Aim for main body mass. Do not take the chance of aiming for smaller target and missing.

Jordan Galan

For those asking why the officer didn't try to disarm him, I ask you to put yourselves in that cop's shoes. Would go for the gun or risk getting stabbed several times whilst trying to take the armed combatant down. The cop was justified here imo, but I'd like more footage prior.

Eban 'Monkey' Smith

The officer ran away, he chased him with a knife...he got shot..rightly so. Sad but not police officers fault.

J

This is why body cameras must be worn by the cops at all times. Anybody would have fired back if they had a gun, cop or not.

Terah

As someone who is generally 100% against the police brutality/ killings that have happened previously and recently this one is very difficult to watch and digest. It would be 100% terrifying and quick so I feel like most would react the same way. This is sad. All deaths are sad

Passive-aggressive hippiechick

I wish all body cam footage was released this fast.

CoolBeans

Easy to post that fast when not guilty. Cop seems to be in the right here. Makes u go hmm when we don’t see some for weeks/months-or its cut up-etc

Brandon G.

Cop was in the right with this shooting it seems.

JimAndrews518

Stop assuming that all or almost all police shootings are unjustified. When they are, that's horrible. But it's important to look at the facts of each case. The shooting appears to be justified in this case.

davCG56

Lord knows I'd be the first to say brutality but this is my observation; Man came out of the apartment to the left very quickly. He had a kitchen knife raised and immediately ran at the cop. I counted seconds where the cop ran backwards, turned and shot while still running.

Hellworld Inhabitant

Yeah, I'm a big ACAB guy but this was clearly self-defense.

fossfox

I'm outright ACAB but this is just straight up self defense, running at someone with a weapon is perhaps the one thing you can justify police shootings over

JUST LIZ (Wear The Damn Mask)

Give ppl some credit. The guy was charging police with a weapon. This is considered a justified shooting. No athletes will get involved in this situation. There's thousands of police interactions daily. Few end up being any issue. Common sense.

Brax |BLM

Take it from the a Democrat this officer was justified in killing that man.

Steve Eberheart

I hate most cops but this is completely justified. Cop tried to deescalate, dude attacked with a clear weapon...only one outcome to that.

Michaelparker

Don't agree with the police but he was charging at cop with a weapon. But hey maybe try using your stun gun first and if doesn't work then use ya pistol

peanuts

I don't disagree that he was failed at some point but that doesn't justify rioting. It certainly shouldn't condemn a police officer that had to make a split second decision to shoot or get stabbed.

AustinKrause255

As someone who fully supports the BLM movement, I feel responsible pointing out what's police brutality and fair use of lethal force. The cop was okay using his gun on the man chasing him with a knife. He used it in self-defense

I asked about people here, in this forum.  Why are we arguing with/about dumbasses on Twitter who don't rise to the level of the worst FBG posters?
Well you see he couldn’t find any examples from posters on this forum supporting it, so he had to search elsewhere. HTH

Yenrub said:
Well you see he couldn’t find any examples from posters on this forum supporting it, so he had to search elsewhere. HTH
You are incorrect. If you see where I replied above somebody said that they didn't see anybody saying that at the link I provided. That was obviously untrue, so I posted some of the many tweets. That a problem for you? 

More on Lancaster:

13 total people arrested

From that article:

At least eight of the suspects are not Lancaster residents, according to police. They said one of two people armed with handguns during the protests was charged with illegal possession.

And, here is the more unfortunate part of the story:

Shooting victim had paranoid schizophrenia and family was trying to get him mental help

I don't blame the officer for how he reacted.  But, this is yet another incident where someone suffering from mental illness lost their life.  I don't know what the right answer is.  I do think we need to try and find it, though. 

Also, while there was a second night of protests in Lancaster, it was much smaller and more peaceful

Not surprising since that video came out.

More on Lancaster:

13 total people arrested

From that article:

At least eight of the suspects are not Lancaster residents, according to police. They said one of two people armed with handguns during the protests was charged with illegal possession.

And, here is the more unfortunate part of the story:

Shooting victim had paranoid schizophrenia and family was trying to get him mental help

I don't blame the officer for how he reacted.  But, this is yet another incident where someone suffering from mental illness lost their life.  I don't know what the right answer is.  I do think we need to try and find it, though. 

Also, while there was a second night of protests in Lancaster, it was much smaller and more peaceful

Not surprising since that video came out.
Million dollar bails for rioting?  That seems a bit excessive and unconstitutional.  

I think there needs to be a change in police process - Maybe it is more resources for departments.  I watched the video - was the officer alone?  Would things have worked out differently if an officer was there supporting a social worker?  

Still say police should be equipped with  tranquillizer dart guns for these type of situations. Shoot a dart into the perp and then everyone back off for the 30-60 seconds, it takes to calm the person down.  Then proceed.  Think if George Floyd, the Atlanta guy, Blake, whoever were all popped with darts, calmed down and then subdued.

You send a social worker to Lancaster and there is a good chance he/she ends up sliced and diced like a Halloween movie.

Still say police should be equipped with  tranquillizer dart guns for these type of situations. Shoot a dart into the perp and then everyone back off for the 30-60 seconds, it takes to calm the person down.  Then proceed.  Think if George Floyd, the Atlanta guy, Blake, whoever were all popped with darts, calmed down and then subdued.

You send a social worker to Lancaster and there is a good chance he/she ends up sliced and diced like a Halloween movie.
As I understand it, the required dosage varies so much that these would frequently be ineffective or cause permanent damage.

Also, George Floyd is a pretty bad example here.  He was calm, and in a car, until the police escalated the situation for no reason.

Why not something like this?

Police called to home of a 12 year old boy for having a toy gun during virtual classroom

From the story:

“At that point I then called my son immediately, and I told him to stay away from the windows, to lock the doors, to not open the doors, because the cops are on their way,” Elliott said. “And I told him to go down into the basement. I know that may sound extreme to some, but with the cultural climate of what’s going on in America today, specifically with Tamir Rice, the 12-year-old boy killed for playing with a toy gun, that’s a very real reality for a lot of parents across the world right now. So his exact words were ‘Mommy, you’re scaring me,’ and for a mother, it’s heartbreaking to hear something like that.”

Aside from the insanity of this story and why the police were called to begin with, this is a very real perception for people in their interaction with police.  And it's so sad that's the case that you have to be so afraid of the police and fear for your lives or the lives of your children.

As I understand it, the required dosage varies so much that these would frequently be ineffective or cause permanent damage.

Also, George Floyd is a pretty bad example here.  He was calm, and in a car, until the police escalated the situation for no reason.
He really wasn't but that has been discussed forever so no reason to revisit that.   

As far as taking a chance of a sedative or 4 bullets in the back the former sounds better.  I am not a doctor but I think 4 bullets in the back might cause a little more permanent damage. 

He really wasn't but that has been discussed forever so no reason to revisit that.   

As far as taking a chance of a sedative or 4 bullets in the back the former sounds better.  I am not a doctor but I think 4 bullets in the back might cause a little more permanent damage. 
Playing devil's advocate here, why would we expect a tranquilizer to be more effective than a taser?

Playing devil's advocate here, why would we expect a tranquilizer to be more effective than a taser?
Say the situation is chaotic and there some sort of force has to be used.   If you were the perp given these options what would you choose?

1. A sedative

2. Beat over the head with a billy club. 

2. Tased with an high voltage electrical  current.

3. Shot with  9MM Glock bullets at close range.

Say the situation is chaotic and there some sort of force has to be used.   If you were the perp given these options what would you choose?

1. A sedative

2. Beat over the head with a billy club. 

2. Tased with an high voltage electrical  current.

3. Shot with  9MM Glock bullets at close range.
My question isn't really about what option I would want used on me.  Obviously, the answer is none.  I'm not a doctor either, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a reason to expect that a tranquilizer would be more effective than a taser, pepper spray, or other, existing, non-lethal options.

Additionally, if we're discussing alternatives to shooting, I'm assuming that the situation requires immediate resolution.  I doubt that the movie version of a tranquilizer, in which the recipient calmly falls asleep within seconds, is not the reality.  Isn't a taser a more immediate solution?

My question isn't really about what option I would want used on me.  Obviously, the answer is none.  I'm not a doctor either, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a reason to expect that a tranquilizer would be more effective than a taser, pepper spray, or other, existing, non-lethal options.

Additionally, if we're discussing alternatives to shooting, I'm assuming that the situation requires immediate resolution.  I doubt that the movie version of a tranquilizer, in which the recipient calmly falls asleep within seconds, is not the reality.  Isn't a taser a more immediate solution?
I think anything other than 4 bullets is a better solution.

I think anything other than 4 bullets is a better solution.
Maybe.  But that doesn't answer either of the questions I posted.  Is there any reason to believe this would be more effective than a taser?  Is there any reason to believe this would be immediate enough to be a solution at all?

Rich Conway said:
Maybe.  But that doesn't answer either of the questions I posted.  Is there any reason to believe this would be more effective than a taser?  Is there any reason to believe this would be immediate enough to be a solution at all?
I have no idea but other non-lethal options need to be and should be explored.

I have no idea but other non-lethal options need to be and should be explored.
I don't know if this particular suggestion would be better or worse than, say, tasers.  But, non-lethal options exist now, yet police frequently jump straight to the lethal option.  I question the assumption that adding yet another non-lethal option would lead to different outcomes.

Users who are viewing this thread