Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
In The Zone

Another killing at the hands of the Police

I am not sure what the downside is to cameras. Seems a good way to protect honest cops.

The cost, and privacy concerns with regard to how citizens are recorded and where the video is stored. I think the benefits outweigh the negatives assuming the cost can be overcome by local municipalities.

The only people the cameras will offend are the same douchnozzles that record on their iphones every time they're pulled over to try and goad the cop into doing something wrong. And honestly, #### them.

Edited by Scoresman
  • Like 1

1:27 p.m.: At a news conference at North Charleston City Hall about the shooting of Walter Scott, Mayor Keith Summey told reporters Wednesday that the city has ordered an additional 150 body cameras "so every officer on the street" in the city will have one. That is in addition to 101 body cameras already ordered, he said.

About GD time.

I am not sure what the downside is to cameras. Seems a good way to protect honest cops.

The cost, and privacy concerns with regard to how citizens are recorded and where the video is stored. I think the benefits outweigh the negatives assuming the cost can be overcome by local municipalities.

Really? What are the cams? Couple hundred bucks each? Have a ####### bake sale. They have hovercrafts, four wheelers, snowmobiles, off road vehicles, souped up cars. I'm sure they can spare a few bucks on transparency.

The most disgusting thing to me is how all the cops were acting like they were doing business as usual. Evil freaking people.

They WERE doing business as usual. What I see here is some black guy who doesn't know his place giving a good ol' boy some kinda lip and then running off. They can't have that in those parts... let one of them mouth off like that, next thing you have a whole different kind of society. That's why the black guy got shot. You bet the prosecutor is going to be looking into the shooter's background F Lee Bailey style... "how many time have you called a black person a ?" The show has just begun!

Now if only our politicians wore body cams we might get some honesty there.

My brother was a cop for 30 years, so I have always gotten to hear things from the police perspective as well. But in the last decade I have gone from somebody with a generally favorable view of the police to a more neutral stance. In the last year or two I have gone from neutral to quite negative.

There is way too much abuse of power and way too little accountability.

And this is just how the peons in public service behave...imagine the potential abuse for somebody with a lot of power...

Mayor calls it a bad decision. Murder is now just a bad decision. SMDH.

He called it a bad decision, which it obviously was. He did not use the word 'just'. HTH. :rolleyes:

Definately a bad decision to shoot an unarmed and fleeing man in the back 8 times and then doctor the murder scene to cover it up. Really interesting take by the mayor.

Actually, assuming that you've committed murder, and further assuming you don't want to be caught, attempting to cover it up is a good decision.

My brother was a cop for 30 years, so I have always gotten to hear things from the police perspective as well. But in the last decade I have gone from somebody with a generally favorable view of the police to a more neutral stance. In the last year or two I have gone from neutral to quite negative.

There is way too much abuse of power and way too little accountability.

And this is just how the peons in public service behave...imagine the potential abuse for somebody with a lot of power...

Way to generalize there :thumbup:

Definately a bad decision to shoot an unarmed and fleeing man in the back 8 times and then doctor the murder scene to cover it up. Really interesting take by the mayor.

:confused::confused::confused:

This is what the mayor said: “When you’re wrong, you’re wrong. If you make a bad decision, don’t care if you’re behind the shield or just a citizen on the street, you have to live by that decision.”

The cop was fired and murder charges were pressed and the mayor ordered body cameras for all officers. Not sure what more the haters want.

Damn, father of 4 and a veteran. What a bunch of #### it all is.

This is what the mayor said: When youre wrong, youre wrong. If you make a bad decision, dont care if youre behind the shield or just a citizen on the street, you have to live by that decision.

The cop was fired and murder charges were pressed and the mayor ordered body cameras for all officers. Not sure what more the haters want.

haters?

This is what the mayor said: When youre wrong, youre wrong. If you make a bad decision, dont care if youre behind the shield or just a citizen on the street, you have to live by that decision.

haters?

I should have targetted at Clifford's post who was clearly in hate mode twisting the words into something that was not said.

Guest General Tso

This is what the mayor said: “When you’re wrong, you’re wrong. If you make a bad decision, don’t care if you’re behind the shield or just a citizen on the street, you have to live by that decision.”

I normally agree with you Jon, but calling what that cop did a "bad decision" seems incredibly tone deaf. He has to know that the whole world is going to be watching this, and parsing every word that comes out of his mouth. I have a feeling this is not going to end well.

Haters? :lmao:

Calm down. I think he made a bad choice of words, that's all.

It seems like he made a few bad decisions in a row. Not just one.

What do people expect the Mayor to say at this point? Is he supposed to call the cop a murderer before he has been given his due process and convicted? He can't do that no matter how obvious it appears to be.

• Like 1

What do people expect the Mayor to say at this point? Is he supposed to call the cop a murderer before he has been given his due process and convicted? He can't do that no matter how obvious it appears to be.

:goodposting:

This guy handled it right. He is trying to strike a balance of assuring justice will be done. He is being responsive to the community all the while not alienating his police force.

Edited by Courtjester

Really? What are the cams? Couple hundred bucks each? Have a ####### bake sale. They have hovercrafts, four wheelers, snowmobiles, off road vehicles, souped up cars. I'm sure they can spare a few bucks on transparency.
:lol:

The cost is largely in the software and video storage I believe.

The taxpayers pay for it so I assume those communities that want them will buy them. Those that don't, won't.

Edited by jonessed

So have we figured out what this latest ''Thug'' was doing his whole life that will say whether or not he deserved to be shot to death while unarmed?

• Like 1

The only people the cameras will offend are the same douchnozzles that record on their iphones every time they're pulled over to try and goad the cop into doing something wrong. And honestly, #### them.

I don't like those people either, but if you'd heard how many times a segment of video went "missing" or how the cops just "misplaced" the video evidence during one of these incidents, videotaping the cop isn't such a bad idea.

I don't like the douches that goad cops into stuff, either, but half of those "goading" incidents are spurred along by cops telling the people to shut their cameras off when videotaping them is perfectly legal. The cops generally don't like being filmed.

Well, too bad. It's now part of the job.

Edited by rockaction

haters?

I should have targetted at Clifford's post who was clearly in hate mode twisting the words into something that was not said.

I don't think that when a mayor says that he doesn't care if you're "behind a shield" that he's underplayed the issue at all. For a politician to say that actually takes guts because the shield also implies a lot more than just the authority. It carries behind it the weight of the police brotherhood, their union, everything.

It's actually pretty ballsy.

So have we figured out what this latest ''Thug'' was doing his whole life that will say whether or not he deserved to be shot to death while unarmed?

Why not wait for somebody to make this argument before ripping it apart. So far nobody has.

Mind you I was angered by the way Trayvon Martin and MichaelmBrown were made out to be thugs in the right wing blogosphere- I thought a lot of the commentary was over the top and bordered on racism and I said so at the time in both instances. But so far nobody has done it here. Nobody is defending this cop in any way.

Settle down, Beavis.

As far as I know, he's a Coast Guard vet and a father. If his past includes thuggish behavior, it is a moot point. He was obviously gunned down in cold blood, period.

How about a review of the races of those pulled over for "broken tail lights" AKA DWB? Is that really the most pressing issue in that city? Are they busting people for jaywalking and other innocuous "crimes". That is the issue in the white cop vs black man and we have to press police departments to clean out those lazy officers who use these loose laws for fishing trips in minority communities.

Edited by ffldrew

Settle down, Beavis.

As far as I know, he's a Coast Guard vet and a father. If his past includes thuggish behavior, it is a moot point. He was obviously gunned down in cold blood, period.

oh you dont think pics will start popping up showing this poor guy in a bad light? whether holding a gun or flashing a gang sign? C`mon man it happens every single time ...its disgusting when it happens and im positive it will happen here

How about a review of the races of those pulled over for "broken tail lights" AKA DWB? Is that really the most pressing issue in that city? Are they busting people for jaywalking and other innocuous "crimes". That is the issue in the white cop vs black man and we have to press police departments to clean out those lazy officers who use these loose laws for fishing trips in minority communities.

I've been pulled over for a broken taillight. I've also been pulled over for expired registration.

How are any of these things racist? Seems like they are more tied to money grabs if anything.

Edited by jonessed

Settle down, Beavis.

oh you dont think pics will start popping up showing this poor guy in a bad light? whether holding a gun or flashing a gang sign? C`mon man it happens every single time ...its disgusting when it happens and im positive it will happen here

Give us some past examples of the main stream media doing this.

I've been pulled over for a broken taillight. I've also been pulled over for expired registration.

How are any of these things racist? Seems like they are more tied to money grabs if anything.

I guess that ends the review

Settle down, Beavis.

when did i mention the media? regular people on the internet seek out anything they can find ...any dirt they can dig up...christ they even make crap up and post pics of some dude smoking weed and flashing a gun that isnt even the dude that was shot

Settle down, Beavis.

Possibly? So what in this case?

The camera does not lie. His past is irrelevant. He was shot in the back. He didn't pose a threat to the officer.

We can agree here, right?

Settle down, Beavis.

when did i mention the media? regular people on the internet seek out anything they can find ...any dirt they can dig up...christ they even make crap up and post pics of some dude smoking weed and flashing a gun that isnt even the dude that was shot

So you really think people/media will show pictures of this man in a bad light?

Settle down, Beavis.

Michael Brown comes to mind. And the below was repeatedly mentioned by Darren Wilson supporters in the St. Louis thread as proof that Brown was a thug:

BREAKING: Fergusons Michael Brown PICTURED Flashing GANG SIGNS

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/08/breaking-michael-brown-was-a-local-gangster-seen-flashing-gang-signs/

Are people still looking for other people to defend this cop committing blatant murder so they can get outraged at those people?

Settle down, Beavis.

Racists will for sure

Settle down, Beavis.As far as I know, he's a Coast Guard vet and a father. If his past includes thuggish behavior, it is a moot point. He was obviously gunned down in cold blood, period.
Michael Brown comes to mind. And the below was repeatedly mentioned by Darren Wilson supporters in the St. Louis thread as proof that Brown was a thug:BREAKING: Fergusons Michael Brown PICTURED Flashing GANG SIGNShttp://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/08/breaking-michael-brown-was-a-local-gangster-seen-flashing-gang-signs/

Did you read the part that his family released the photo? Give us more examples to support this.

Settle down, Beavis.

Racists will for sure

When do you expect this to happen?

Are people still looking for other people to defend this cop committing blatant murder so they can get outraged at those people?

Apparently so...

The cop is a murderer in my opinion. Does anyone else disagree?

Settle down, Beavis.

Racists will for sure

well hes been arrested 10 times in his life so thats a starting point i would guess...cant imagine it will take very long for the stupid cruel comments to start flowing ...and BTW im not talking about people here ...im talking about on the internet in general

Racists will for sure

As soon they can find something, anything.

Settle down, Beavis.

Racists will for sure

well hes been arrested 10 times in his life so thats a starting point i would guess...cant imagine it will take very long for the stupid cruel comments to start flowing ...and BTW im not talking about people here ...im talking about on the internet in general

Why haven't the comments started?

Settle down, Beavis.As far as I know, he's a Coast Guard vet and a father. If his past includes thuggish behavior, it is a moot point. He was obviously gunned down in cold blood, period.
Michael Brown comes to mind. And the below was repeatedly mentioned by Darren Wilson supporters in the St. Louis thread as proof that Brown was a thug:BREAKING: Fergusons Michael Brown PICTURED Flashing GANG SIGNShttp://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/08/breaking-michael-brown-was-a-local-gangster-seen-flashing-gang-signs/

Did you read the part that his family released the photo? Give us more examples to support this.

stop being a yahoo cripes with eric garner the wall street journal and newsmax somehow got his not public criminal past and ran stories about his criminal past like that had something to do with him being choked to death its nice you are fishing but do it somewhere else brohan

Racists will for sure
As soon they can find something, anything.

:rolleyes:

I don't think the victim will be shown in a bad light. There's no point. There was no struggle here, there's no room for interpretation. This guy was murdered.

With Michael Brown, his past may have been relevant because the cop was saying he was attacked by him. So you would want to find out more about him, what kind of guy he was.

This guy? He's a pure, 100%, victim. Whether or not he was a bad guy or a good guy is not relevant - he was running away (slowly) from this cop and was murdered.

Settle down, Beavis.

Racists will for sure

Why haven't the comments started?

are you purposely being obtuse?