What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (3 Viewers)

Was going to post about this today, but the video sort of solidifies the incident a little bit better. That's some good work by the plain clothes officer, huh?

Imagine if Blake had popped him like most people would have.

We really need to take a serious policy look at anybody operating in plain clothes unless they're completely undercover. It just invites retaliatory violence and tragedy.

Was going to post about this today, but the video sort of solidifies the incident a little bit better. That's some good work by the plain clothes officer, huh?

We really need to take a serious policy look at anybody operating in plain clothes unless they're completely undercover. It just invites retaliatory violence and tragedy.
Agree. So, this was for credit card fraud? Does that really require an immediate aggressive takedown? How about a flash of the badge and, "sir, put your hands behind your back."
Yeah, something like that. Or identity theft. And I agree that it doesn't seem to warrant that sort of initial and continued force.

That video is worse upon second viewing. No wonder the NYPD released it -- the police union was already crabbing about the mandatory leave and reassignment.

Yeah its a good thing Blake didn't try to protect himself from this unidentified guy running up on him. I'm sure he would be facing charges of resisting arrest and assault on an officer and a bunch of other BS charges.

Yeah its a good thing Blake didn't try to protect himself from this unidentified guy running up on him. I'm sure he would be facing charges of resisting arrest and assault on an officer and a bunch of other BS charges.
or been shot by the undercover cop

Gawker/Deadspin originally ran a story saying it was 5 police officers that tackled him. I was desensitized when I saw the video and didn't think it was that bad.

Gawker/Deadspin originally ran a story saying it was 5 police officers that tackled him. I was desensitized when I saw the video and didn't think it was that bad.
im sure you would feel much different if it was you who was standing around minding your own business when out of nowhere you are being attacked for no reason at all

im sure you would feel much different if it was you who was standing around minding your own business when out of nowhere you are being attacked for no reason at all
Depends. If I was expecting 5 people to tackle me and only one takes me down, I'd probably feel the same way.

The cop was totally in the wrong because the guy obviously wasn't putting up any kind of fight, but the description from his story that he was lifted up and body slammed is sort of stretching the truth a tad.

Like I have mentioned in this thread before, my wife and I are both have good jobs, we are white and we both have had situations in our past where we have been in the back of police cars under mistaken identity situations. One of the female District Court Judges I know was detained on suspicion of armed robbery on her lunch hour coming back from a Bar meeting and she is white She had guns drawn on her..

Now none of us were taken down physically like this guy, but I guarantee if I any of us had resisted in any way, we would have been. It's just the whole idea that this kind of profiling only happens to black guys doesn't hold water. The police often get vague descriptions of criminals and they act on it.

But reading about this officer's past behavior, there is obviously more there and he probably shouldn't be on the streets.

Depends. If I was expecting 5 people to tackle me and only one takes me down, I'd probably feel the same way.
he wasnt expecting anyone to take him down

he wasnt expecting anyone to take him down
Yes, but when I saw the video I was expecting to see 5 police officers take him down like I read about prior.

avoiding injuries said:
Never seems like Gawker/Deadspin helps a good or righteous cause without hyperbolic inflammation and terrible reporting, does it?

Last edited by a moderator:
BustedKnuckles said:
Yenrub said:

I know there was a comment that was deleted (it was laughing at this), but there have been a bunch of high-profile cases where either the cop has been shot or the unsuspecting perpetrator/victim has been shot for resisting without a badge ever having been shown or proper identification made prior to seizing the person. Really, unless you're undercover in a sting, there's no reason to not be in uniform or not to immediately and clearly identity one's self as a policeman or policewoman.

BustedKnuckles said:
Yenrub said:

I know there was a comment that was deleted (it was laughing at this), but there have been a bunch of high-profile cases where either the cop has been shot or the unsuspecting perpetrator/victim has been shot for resisting without a badge ever having been shown or proper identification made prior to seizing the person. Really, unless you're undercover in a sting, there's no reason to not be in uniform or not to immediately and clearly identity one's self as a policeman or policewoman.
well i know for sure if a guy came at me like that im going into self defense mode on the spot and throwing bombs ....who wouldnt?

avoiding injuries said:
Never seems like Gawker/Deadspin helps a good or righteous cause without hyperbolic inflammation and terrible reporting, does it?
Nope, and if you follow their Twitter accounts, the contrast between comments on their tweets vs the ones they "approve" in their stories is comical.

well i know for sure if a guy came at me like that im going into self defense mode on the spot and throwing bombs ....who wouldnt?
In that case

:bye:

:sadbanana:

In that case

Pretty sad that we cant defend ourselves from some dude in street clothes attacking us in a case of mistaken identity

In that case

Pretty sad that we cant defend ourselves from some dude in street clothes attacking us in a case of mistaken identity
Indeed. If you want to put your faith in Trump changing that, go right ahead

The cop was totally in the wrong because the guy obviously wasn't putting up any kind of fight, but the description from his story that he was lifted up and body slammed is sort of stretching the truth a tad.

Like I have mentioned in this thread before, my wife and I are both have good jobs, we are white and we both have had situations in our past where we have been in the back of police cars under mistaken identity situations. One of the female District Court Judges I know was detained on suspicion of armed robbery on her lunch hour coming back from a Bar meeting and she is white She had guns drawn on her..

Now none of us were taken down physically like this guy, but I guarantee if I any of us had resisted in any way, we would have been. It's just the whole idea that this kind of profiling only happens to black guys doesn't hold water. The police often get vague descriptions of criminals and they act on it.

But reading about this officer's past behavior, there is obviously more there and he probably shouldn't be on the streets.
in your opinion, did Blake resist before getting tackled and thrown to the ground?

South Florida
A Florida man’s family is demanding answers after he was fatally shot by a plainclothes police officer in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, early Sunday morning while he was on the side of the highway with his disabled car.

Corey Jones, 31, a popular drummer in south Florida who played in the band at his church and worked as an inspector for a local city’s housing authority, was shot at about 3:15 a.m. by Officer Nouman Raja, police said in a press release.

“We haven’t gotten any answers yet,” his aunt, Sheila Banks, told the Sun-Sentinel. “All we know is someone shot him.”

Jones’ family says they weren’t notified that he had been killed until about 6 p.m. Sunday, about 15 hours after the shooting.

Here’s what you need to know:

<snipped, see link>

More:
Florida cops kill black man who pulled over with car trouble — and then refuse to tell family why

Last edited by a moderator:
South Florida

A Florida man’s family is demanding answers after he was fatally shot by a plainclothes police officer in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, early Sunday morning while he was on the side of the highway with his disabled car.

Corey Jones, 31, a popular drummer in south Florida who played in the band at his church and worked as an inspector for a local city’s housing authority, was shot at about 3:15 a.m. by Officer Nouman Raja, police said in a press release.

“We haven’t gotten any answers yet,” his aunt, Sheila Banks, told the Sun-Sentinel. “All we know is someone shot him.”

Jones’ family says they weren’t notified that he had been killed until about 6 p.m. Sunday, about 15 hours after the shooting.

<snipped, see link>

More:

Florida cops kill black man who pulled over with car trouble — and then refuse to tell family why
First police account of the shooting:

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. —According to a Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office source who can’t comment publicly, the account Palm Beach Gardens officer Nouman Raja told investigators is that stranded motorist Corey Jones pulled a gun on him as soon as Raja approached him on the PGA exit ramp from I-95 and said, “Police, man, are you alright?”

Raja said he then fired two to three shots at Jones, who was standing behind his open driver’s side door. He said Jones then took off running.

Raja told investigators he was tracking Jones as he ran, and saw him make it to the guardrail west of the car, about 30 feet away.

The source said Raja said he could see the flickering silver of a laser on Jones’ gun, and that’s when he took aim and fired two more times.

Raja was working an undercover surveillance detail on burgled cars, and pulled up to Jones in a white unmarked passenger van, perpendicular to the front of Jones’ car.

He was wearing jeans, a tan T-shirt and a ball cap. He did not have his duty gun on him, but a smaller, back-up Glock in a front holster. The duty gun was in the van.

The source said Raja told detectives Jones was standing, and Jones immediately said, “I’m okay.”

Raja said he then identified himself as police, and that’s when Jones pulled out his gun, and Raja immediately shot at him.

Raja had left his police radio in the van, and called 911 on his cell phone as he tracked Jones running away.

According to the source, evidence technicians found five casings from Raja’s Glock 40 at the scene.

They also found a Jimenez Arms 380 semi-automatic pistol, with six live rounds in the magazine, which apparently belonged to Jones.

The Palm Beach Gardens Police issued a statement Monday that said Jones suddenly confronted Raja with a gun, and that’s when Raja fired.

So basically, the guy breaks down in the middle of the night, calls his friend for help and waits for a tow truck. Random cop pulls up, asks if he's ok, Jones pulls out a gun after the cop identified himself as police. Seems logical. Of course, the dead guy can't dispute it.

South Florida

<snipped, see link>

More:

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. —According to a Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office source who can’t comment publicly, the account Palm Beach Gardens officer Nouman Raja told investigators is that stranded motorist Corey Jones pulled a gun on him as soon as Raja approached him on the PGA exit ramp from I-95 and said, “Police, man, are you alright?”

Raja said he then fired two to three shots at Jones, who was standing behind his open driver’s side door. He said Jones then took off running.

Raja told investigators he was tracking Jones as he ran, and saw him make it to the guardrail west of the car, about 30 feet away.

The source said Raja said he could see the flickering silver of a laser on Jones’ gun, and that’s when he took aim and fired two more times.

Raja was working an undercover surveillance detail on burgled cars, and pulled up to Jones in a white unmarked passenger van, perpendicular to the front of Jones’ car.

He was wearing jeans, a tan T-shirt and a ball cap. He did not have his duty gun on him, but a smaller, back-up Glock in a front holster. The duty gun was in the van.

The source said Raja told detectives Jones was standing, and Jones immediately said, “I’m okay.”

Raja said he then identified himself as police, and that’s when Jones pulled out his gun, and Raja immediately shot at him.

Raja had left his police radio in the van, and called 911 on his cell phone as he tracked Jones running away.

According to the source, evidence technicians found five casings from Raja’s Glock 40 at the scene.

They also found a Jimenez Arms 380 semi-automatic pistol, with six live rounds in the magazine, which apparently belonged to Jones.

The Palm Beach Gardens Police issued a statement Monday that said Jones suddenly confronted Raja with a gun, and that’s when Raja fired.

So basically, the guy breaks down in the middle of the night, calls his friend for help and waits for a tow truck. Random cop pulls up, asks if he's ok, Jones pulls out a gun after the cop identified himself as police. Seems logical. Of course, the dead guy can't dispute it.
Raja is Cuban so this one does not really count does it?

South Florida

<snipped, see link>

More:

Interesting. So the man shot had a concealed weapons permit? I wonder if the plainclothes cop spooked him thinking he was going to catch a criminal in the act. Instead, this man fearing for his life pulled his legal weapon and was shot in the process. Does this help, or hurt, those saying EVERYONE should be allowed to carry in public?
Tough call here. Cop not in uniform in unmarked vehicle vs. guy broke down on side of road in south florida...Seems like a little more conversation was needed before drawing guns.

Interesting. So the man shot had a concealed weapons permit? I wonder if the plainclothes cop spooked him thinking he was going to catch a criminal in the act. Instead, this man fearing for his life pulled his legal weapon and was shot in the process. Does this help, or hurt, those saying EVERYONE should be allowed to carry in public?
Tough call here. Cop not in uniform in unmarked vehicle vs. guy broke down on side of road in south florida...Seems like a little more conversation was needed before drawing guns.
This part seems weird:

The cop identifies himself, then the dead guy drew his gun?

This part seems weird:

The cop identifies himself, then the dead guy drew his gun?
I'm not buying that.
Yeah me either. Jones is already waiting for a tow truck. Cop pulls up and offers help. Dead guy pulls gun and threatens cop. Cop ain't telling the whole story.

If he was in surveillance mode what actions by the suspect caused him to pull up - had to be some probable cause? And he doesn't use his police weapon but a "smaller" glock? Didn't have his radio as well? Seems to be a question about if he was on-duty or off-duty that are shaky Was he offering help or was the guy under surveillance? . Seems like a pretty quick shot if he went from offering help to unloading 5 rounds with a pistol in the holster.

Cop knocks on family's door, shoots dog when it runs out of the house.

Florida City, FL — A cowardly cop put another family pet to death on October 20, leaving a mother and her children grief-stricken.

As surveillance video shows, a Florida City police officer knocks on the front door of the unfortunate family. He was going to inform them that they left a car door open.

The daughter opens the door slightly and their dog, named Duchess, was able to get out first. The cop reaches for his gun as the 40-pound dog emerges and fires three rounds into its head without hesitation.

“She was curious. She wasn’t barking (and) she wasn’t growling. There was no reason for him to think she was aggressive in any way,” said the mother, Gillian Palacios.

The daughter comes out immediately after, and could only stand paralyzed in horror at the scene of murder. Duchess is lying on the sidewalk, still alive but fatally wounded, and the repugnant cop is out of the camera’s view.

Palacios is yelling at the cop while her daughter cradles the dying dog in her hands. Duchess can be seen wagging her tail, perhaps finding some comfort in her owner’s embrace.

The cop said “your dog charged me” and promptly left the scene, telling them Animal Services would pick up the dog later.

In his report, the cop will surely say that he “feared for his life” from the 40-pound animal. One wonders if he felt any remorse at all for his brutal actions. Instead of hesitating a bit and realizing the dog meant no harm, he put a family in shock and grief.

The department has put their officer on paid administrative leave while they investigate that matter, “gathering all the facts at the time.”

The Palacios family rescues dogs and finds homes for them, but decided to keep Duchess. A friend of the family said she was one of the sweetest dogs she has ever met.

Florida City, FL — A cowardly cop put another family pet to death on October 20, leaving a mother and her children grief-stricken.

As surveillance video shows, a Florida City police officer knocks on the front door of the unfortunate family. He was going to inform them that they left a car door open.

The daughter opens the door slightly and their dog, named Duchess, was able to get out first. The cop reaches for his gun as the 40-pound dog emerges and fires three rounds into its head without hesitation.

“She was curious. She wasn’t barking (and) she wasn’t growling. There was no reason for him to think she was aggressive in any way,” said the mother, Gillian Palacios.

The daughter comes out immediately after, and could only stand paralyzed in horror at the scene of murder. Duchess is lying on the sidewalk, still alive but fatally wounded, and the repugnant cop is out of the camera’s view.

Palacios is yelling at the cop while her daughter cradles the dying dog in her hands. Duchess can be seen wagging her tail, perhaps finding some comfort in her owner’s embrace.

The cop said “your dog charged me” and promptly left the scene, telling them Animal Services would pick up the dog later.

In his report, the cop will surely say that he “feared for his life” from the 40-pound animal. One wonders if he felt any remorse at all for his brutal actions. Instead of hesitating a bit and realizing the dog meant no harm, he put a family in shock and grief.

The department has put their officer on paid administrative leave while they investigate that matter, “gathering all the facts at the time.”

The Palacios family rescues dogs and finds homes for them, but decided to keep Duchess. A friend of the family said she was one of the sweetest dogs she has ever met.
JFC. :(
People need to learn to control their dogs, it charged at him

im torn on this one...the dog did run out but was it being aggressive or playful...either way thats a horrible thing to watch...that tail wagging like that as its bleeding out...wtf

Florida City, FL A cowardly cop put another family pet to death on October 20, leaving a mother and her children grief-stricken.

She was curious. She wasnt barking (and) she wasnt growling. There was no reason for him to think she was aggressive in any way, said the mother, Gillian Palacios.

The daughter comes out immediately after, and could only stand paralyzed in horror at the scene of murder. Duchess is lying on the sidewalk, still alive but fatally wounded, and the repugnant cop is out of the cameras view.

Palacios is yelling at the cop while her daughter cradles the dying dog in her hands. Duchess can be seen wagging her tail, perhaps finding some comfort in her owners embrace.

The cop said your dog charged me and promptly left the scene, telling them Animal Services would pick up the dog later.

In his report, the cop will surely say that he feared for his life from the 40-pound animal. One wonders if he felt any remorse at all for his brutal actions. Instead of hesitating a bit and realizing the dog meant no harm, he put a family in shock and grief.

The department has put their officer on paid administrative leave while they investigate that matter, gathering all the facts at the time.

I hope you are joking.

The surveillance video is hard to watch. Poor dog is laying there wagging his tail as he is dying in a pool of blood.

I'm surprised the cop didn't shoot the women when they came outside. The one girl could have been hiding a gun in that bra.

im torn on this one...the dog did run out but was it being aggressive or playful...either way thats a horrible thing to watch...that tail wagging like that as its bleeding out...wtf
You shouldn't be torn. Police should be trained in how to deal with dogs. If they had required training, I doubt very much that dog would be dead.

South Florida

<snipped, see link>

More:

Corey Jones phone records show shooting possibly recorded

Police agencies have yet to request phonelog

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Corey Jones, the 31-year-old drummer who was shot and killed by a Palm Beach Gardens police officer, was on the phone with roadside assistance around the time of the shooting and this was possibly recorded, phone records show.

A phone log provided to WPTV by Jones’ employer, the Delray Beach Housing Authority, shows Jones made repeated calls for assistance starting with a call at 1:44 a.m. Oct. 18 to Florida Highway Patrol that lasted four minutes.

The phone log, first reported by our news partners at The Palm Beach Post, shows that he made six subsequent calls to roadside assistance, the first at 2:09 a.m. lasted 14 minutes. The last call started at 3:10 a.m. and lasted for 53 minutes.

According to police accounts, Palm Beach Gardens police officer Nouman Raja shot and killed Jones at 3:15 a.m., just minutes after he made his last call.

If the line was recorded, it could have captured valuable audio of the confrontation that ended with Jones being shot and killed.

Timeline:

1:44 a.m. Jones calls *FHP, the call lasts 4 minutes

2:09 a.m. Jones calls roadside assistance, the call lasts 14 minutes

2:23 a.m. Jones calls roadside assistance, the call lasts 2 minutes

2:25 a.m. Jones calls roadside assistance, the call lasts 4 minutes

2:29 a.m. Jones calls roadside assistance, the call lasted 16 minutes

2:45 a.m. Jones calls roadside assistance, the call lasts 32 minutes

3:10 a.m. Jones calls roadside assistance, the call lasts for 53 minutes

Note that there is overlap in the time of the calls.

Jones’ 2:45 a.m. call that lasted 32 minutes would have lasted until 3:17 a.m.

The records list that Jones again called roadside assistance at 3:15 a.m., while he was already on the phone with them.

Such a hero. Good thing those pot smokers are off the street. Neighborhood's now safe and it only cost a 19 year old his life.
Report says he tried to run over the cop. The hell he did. That cop could have shot the tires out and arrested the suspect. He chose to murder him instead.
:lmao:

Fishing, right?

Some of you act like a cop has to be gasping for his final breath before he can fire on a suspect.

Such a hero. Good thing those pot smokers are off the street. Neighborhood's now safe and it only cost a 19 year old his life.
Report says he tried to run over the cop. The hell he did. That cop could have shot the tires out and arrested the suspect. He chose to murder him instead.
Someone buys pot, shoot to kill. Senseless.

Fishing, right?

Some of you act like a cop has to be gasping for his final breath before he can fire on a suspect.
a teenager trying to drive away doesnt deserve to be shot point blank...that cop was nowhere near being run over or fearing for his life ...he made a bad decision

Fishing, right?

a teenager trying to drive away doesnt deserve to be shot point blank...that cop was nowhere near being run over or fearing for his life ...he made a bad decision
Yeah didn't look like the kid was trying to run the officer over to me

Fishing, right?

What did he do in that video to deserve being murdered by the cop?

:lmao: Fishing, right?

He could have followed his orders. That would have been a good start.

Seems to be the common defense of cops - don't do what you're told, they're justified in killing you. I don' think that's how it works. At least it shouldn't.

Seems to be the common defense of cops - don't do what you're told, they're justified in killing you. I don' think that's how it works. At least it shouldn't.
:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread