What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (7 Viewers)

Four years is not sufficient. 
His life is ruined.  He was too rough with the kid.  He tasered him for too long and then dropped him roughly.  Its not like he stood over him hitting him.  He didn't know a taser could stop a heart just like the kids dad didn't know.  He should have been and was disciplined appropriately.

Jayrod said:
His life is ruined.  He was too rough with the kid.  He tasered him for too long and then dropped him roughly.  Its not like he stood over him hitting him.  He didn't know a taser could stop a heart just like the kids dad didn't know.  He should have been and was disciplined appropriately.
I appreciate your sentiments.  As you likely know I spent the majority of my career on these issues.  I will not now discuss the rapidity of the officer's fuse before using the tazer improperly to achieve pain compliance. I will not discuss the officer dumping a limp, person, handcuffed behind their back, on a curb when soft grass was a foot away, but I will discuss an officer's responsibility to protect the health of person's in custody.

Here an officer had a juvenile in custody.  The juvenile had been vocal.  The juvenile clearly suffered an injury on his dropping, the type which would typically cause him severe pain, and would result in pleas for medical assistance or at the least substantial moaning in pain.  The juvenile did not respond at all.  The officer made no attempts to ascertain if he was breathing or had a pulse as he stood over the prostate, pulseless, non-breathing juvenile for many minutes as the kid went increasingly cyanotic.   The officer had a duty of care, violated it callously, and the kid suffered for it, unreasonably.  And why, because the kid had a bit of a questioning mouth that might have delayed the officer's wrongful bust without probable cause to obtain a few grams of marijuana, if the officer guessed right.

Jayrod said:
did you watch the dashcam vid?

Jayrod said:
WWJD?

I appreciate your sentiments.  As you likely know I spent the majority of my career on these issues.  I will not now discuss the rapidity of the officer's fuse before using the tazer improperly to achieve pain compliance. I will not discuss the officer dumping a limp, person, handcuffed behind their back, on a curb when soft grass was a foot away, but I will discuss an officer's responsibility to protect the health of person's in custody.

Here an officer had a juvenile in custody.  The juvenile had been vocal.  The juvenile clearly suffered an injury on his dropping, the type which would typically cause him severe pain, and would result in pleas for medical assistance or at the least substantial moaning in pain.  The juvenile did not respond at all.  The officer made no attempts to ascertain if he was breathing or had a pulse as he stood over the prostate, pulseless, non-breathing juvenile for many minutes as the kid went increasingly cyanotic.   The officer had a duty of care, violated it callously, and the kid suffered for it, unreasonably.  And why, because the kid had a bit of a questioning mouth that might have delayed the officer's wrongful bust without probable cause to obtain a few grams of marijuana, if the officer guessed right.
Agreed.  Except I hope autocorrect changed "prostrate."

The whole thing was awful, I agree.  The officer was way out of line and should have been prosecuted and convicted, which he was.  Apparently several other professionals in the field felt like the punishment should have been 4 years in prison, because that is what he got.

I'm just sensing some bloodlust in this thread and there have been a few posts talking about how the punishment for police in these cases is inadequate.  Sometimes it may be, but I just don't see it in this case.

The whole thing was awful, I agree.  The officer was way out of line and should have been prosecuted and convicted, which he was.  Apparently several other professionals in the field felt like the punishment should have been 4 years in prison, because that is what he got.

I'm just sensing some bloodlust in this thread and there have been a few posts talking about how the punishment for police in these cases is inadequate.  Sometimes it may be, but I just don't see it in this case.
You are a reasonable fellow.  That we differ only by degrees here does not make one of us right and the other wrong.  I respect your opinion.  The important point here is that there was accountability for the officer's actions, and his inactions.

Plainclothes officer who killed Florida church drummer is charged with manslaughter, attempted murder

Florida prosecutors announced Wednesday that a grand jury indicted former Palm Beach Gardens police officer Nouman Raja on charges of manslaughter by culpable negligence and attempted first-degree murder with a firearm for the shooting death of 31-year-old Corey Jones.

The charges come seven months after Jones, a well-known area musician, was shot and killed in the early morning hours of Oct. 18, 2015, while he waited for a tow truck after his car broke down on an Interstate 95 off-ramp. Jones was armed at the time with a weapon he had purchased legally just three days earlier when he was approached by Raja, a plainclothes officer in an unmarked car.

Palm Beach County State Attorney Dave Aronberg announced Wednesday that a grand jury concluded Raja’s use of force was unjustified. Documents released Wednesday allege that Raja never identified himself to Jones as a police officer as he drove up to the stranded motorist, yelled commands and then opened fire.

Charging documents released Wednesday by prosecutors state that: According to an audio recording of the interaction, at no point did Raja identify himself to Jones as a police officer; he was not wearing his tactical vest identifying himself as a police officer; and Raja’s vehicle was not immediately distinguishable as a police vehicle. Prosecutors say Raja drove his unmarked van the wrong way down the interstate off-ramp in order to confront Jones about 3:15 a.m.

Raja: You good?

Jones: I’m good.

Raja: Really?

Jones: Yeah, I’m good.

Jones: Yeah.

Raja: Get your f—ing hands up! Get your f—ing hands up!

Jones: Hold on!

Raja: Get your f—ing hands up! Drop!

Then, according to the documents, Raja fired three shots in rapid succession, prompting an AT&T call center operator who had been on the phone with Jones as he waited for the tow truck to exclaim “Oh my gosh!” Then, 10 seconds later, Raja fired three more shots.
What the heck?

That's awful.  Now this is a guy who deserves a long prison sentence.

Our human history is filled with people in positions of power -- kings, sheriffs, tribal chieftains, warlords, gangs, governments -- abusing the powerless.  We have a delicate balance here, because we want to keep "order" to keep the law abiding citizens safe.  But we must be wary of government overreach, for the power of the state taking away the freedoms and life of every day citizens.  We HAVE to err on the side of not abusing the power of the state.  Otherwise it throws the entire process into chaos.  

If I think that the state actor will kill me just for walking down the road, I have to wonder whether or not I will fight that state actor.  Do we mount an insurrection?  Peaceful protest?  Assassination of the police-arm?  The severity of the reaction is related to the perception of powerlessness, and the need to take action before being put in metal boxes en mass.

We CAN'T have state actors behaving in a clear disregard for the safety of its citizens.  Not only that, but acting in an affirmatively abusive fashion without consequence.  I cannot accept it as an engaged member of society.  The police (and the State) do not think twice before sending someone to prison for decades for offenses much worse than this.  This is effectively an act of terrorism, it erodes the trust in the very fabric of society. When a Policeman assaults a citizen, the effect is multiples worse then when a "normal" person assaults someone.  At least with a "normal" person, you can fight back!  You are not allowed to fight back against the police.

We must send a message that this type of behavior is absolutely unacceptable.  We can't lose faith in the power of the State to protect us. An argument could be made that 4 years is not nearly enough.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Prosecutors say Raja drove his unmarked van the wrong way down the interstate off-ramp in order to confront Jones about 3:15 a.m.

That escalated quickly.

Appears Raja was looking to kill somebody.

Jayrod said:
So now ignorance is a defense?

Our human history is filled with people in positions of power -- kings, sheriffs, tribal chieftains, warlords, gangs, governments -- abusing the powerless.  We have a delicate balance here, because we want to keep "order" to keep the law abiding citizens safe.  But we must be wary of government overreach, for the power of the state taking away the freedoms and life of every day citizens.  We HAVE to err on the side of not abusing the power of the state.  Otherwise it throws the entire process into chaos.  

If I think that the state actor will kill me just for walking down the road, I have to wonder whether or not I will fight that state actor.  Do we mount an insurrection?  Peaceful protest?  Assassination of the police-arm?  The severity of the reaction is related to the perception of powerlessness, and the need to take action before being put in metal boxes en mass.

We CAN'T have state actors behaving in a clear disregard for the safety of its citizens.  Not only that, but acting in an affirmatively abusive fashion without consequence.  I cannot accept it as an engaged member of society.  The police (and the State) do not think twice before sending someone to prison for decades for offenses much worse than this.  This is effectively an act of terrorism, it erodes the trust in the very fabric of society. When a Policeman assaults a citizen, the effect is multiples worse then when a "normal" person assaults someone.  At least with a "normal" person, you can fight back!  You are not allowed to fight back against the police.

We must send a message that this type of behavior is absolutely unacceptable.  We can't lose faith in the power of the State to protect us. An argument could be made that 4 years is not nearly enough.  
I hear what you are saying, and I don't disagree really.

But what you are talking about is more about making an example of the guy, not the punishment fitting the crime.  The kid didn't die and is recovering.  There should be a civil suit to help compensate for the loss of quality of life, but the officer is facing the 4 years as much for faulty taser training as for anything he did.  If the taser doesn't cause the heart attack, he is probably still an officer today.

Plainclothes officer who killed Florida church drummer is charged with manslaughter, attempted murder

Florida prosecutors announced Wednesday that a grand jury indicted former Palm Beach Gardens police officer Nouman Raja on charges of manslaughter by culpable negligence and attempted first-degree murder with a firearm for the shooting death of 31-year-old Corey Jones.

The charges come seven months after Jones, a well-known area musician, was shot and killed in the early morning hours of Oct. 18, 2015, while he waited for a tow truck after his car broke down on an Interstate 95 off-ramp. Jones was armed at the time with a weapon he had purchased legally just three days earlier when he was approached by Raja, a plainclothes officer in an unmarked car.

Palm Beach County State Attorney Dave Aronberg announced Wednesday that a grand jury concluded Raja’s use of force was unjustified. Documents released Wednesday allege that Raja never identified himself to Jones as a police officer as he drove up to the stranded motorist, yelled commands and then opened fire.

Charging documents released Wednesday by prosecutors state that: According to an audio recording of the interaction, at no point did Raja identify himself to Jones as a police officer; he was not wearing his tactical vest identifying himself as a police officer; and Raja’s vehicle was not immediately distinguishable as a police vehicle. Prosecutors say Raja drove his unmarked van the wrong way down the interstate off-ramp in order to confront Jones about 3:15 a.m.

Then, according to the documents, Raja fired three shots in rapid succession, prompting an AT&T call center operator who had been on the phone with Jones as he waited for the tow truck to exclaim “Oh my gosh!” Then, 10 seconds later, Raja fired three more shots.
So he shot him, then doctored the scene.  Sounds familiar.

Prosecutors say that Raja then called 911, about 30 seconds after firing his last round.

“I came out, I saw him come out with a handgun,” Raja told the 911 dispatcher. “I gave him commands, I identified myself, and he turned, pointed the gun at me and started running. I shot him.”

When other officers arrived at the scene, they found Jones’s body about 192 feet away from his car. Jones’s gun was found between him and the car, about 72 feet away from the vehicle.

So he shot him, then doctored the scene.  Sounds familiar.
Unfortunately for Raja,  the recorded conversation supports none of what he claims. I'm sure he had no idea the audio of the incident was being recorded by AT&T.  Imagine if it wasn't - would a grand jury indict?  We probably know the answer.

Also worth noting, this is not the first time Raja was suspected of wrong-doing.

ETA: this incident is somewhat important to me.  The victim was a musician in the south FLA area. An old buddy of mine (also a musician) knew him pretty well.

In a statement, Baton Rouge Police Cpl. L’Jean McKneely Jr. said two officers “have been placed on administrative leave per standard procedure,” though it is believed that only one officer fired shots.

The officers have not been named.

“Our guys will most likely review the video tomorrow,” McKneely told The Washington Post in an email Tuesday night.

“We give officers normally a day or so to go home and think about it” before being interviewed, McKneely told the Advocate.
Is there any possible explanation for the bolded other than "we want to give officers a chance to concoct the story most likely to exonerate them while also standing up to scrutiny"?  I can't think of one.

The widow gave a very moving speech. Then a member of the Nation of Islam called for nobody to spend money at the Mall of Louisiana. 

You think Joe Citizen gets a day to think about it after he shoots someone?
Exactly.  I hope they get a ton of crap for this in the press and with the public. That statement, more than anything, is indicative of the larger problem at work and the reason for all the protests- the common perception that law enforcement serves its own interests above the public interest.  This was at work in Ferguson as well, where law enforcement circled the wagons for days before making any statements at all.  Even if the shooting turns out to be justified (hard to imagine), the public has every right to be suspicious of whatever tale they're eventually told.

Exactly.  I hope they get a ton of crap for this in the press and with the public. That statement, more than anything, is indicative of the larger problem at work and the reason for all the protests- the common perception that law enforcement serves its own interests above the public interest.  This was at work in Ferguson as well, where law enforcement circled the wagons for days before making any statements at all.  Even if the shooting turns out to be justified (hard to imagine), the public has every right to be suspicious of whatever tale they're eventually told.
Tobias the government here is corrupt and the people apathetic and the press is compliant to disinterested. 

Understood, but I think this may get some national play and exert some pressure that might not normally be there.
All for the better. The Danziger incident is the worst case of police killing and cover up I've ever read or heard about and it's still in the courts 11 years later. We have others, typically the police themselves are involved in illegal stuff. Good luck to all of us.

Is there any possible explanation for the bolded other than "we want to give officers a chance to concoct the story most likely to exonerate them while also standing up to scrutiny"?  I can't think of one.
My experience is that police unions bargain hard for the right to have officers clear headed, rested, and under the representation of a union lawyer before making statements in a use of force investigation.  Somebody mentioned this courtesy is not supplied to average citizens, and that is correct, though they are allowed access to lawyers.  Most Chiefs and their command, and the civilian authorities for which they work, would likely prefer to apply the same standards to officers as they do to civilians but are prevented by collective bargaining contracts from so doing, if only for a time.

The reason I mention this is not to refute any implication Tobias is making, but to bring up conversation on where responsibility for the dichotomy lies.  many tend to believe that conspiracies of silence start at the top.  I offer for discussion that it starts with the bargaining unit for the rank and file.  I concede that there are exceptions to any generalization.

I also note that these interviews are subject not only to the same constitutional rights and protections of citizens (officers being also citizens), but that they can be influenced by Garrity rights and warnings.

My experience is that police unions bargain hard for the right to have officers clear headed, rested, and under the representation of a union lawyer before making statements in a use of force investigation.  Somebody mentioned this courtesy is not supplied to average citizens, and that is correct, though they are allowed access to lawyers.  Most Chiefs and their command, and the civilian authorities for which they work, would likely prefer to apply the same standards to officers as they do to civilians but are prevented by collective bargaining contracts from so doing, if only for a time.

The reason I mention this is not to refute any implication Tobias is making, but to bring up conversation on where responsibility for the dichotomy lies.  many tend to believe that conspiracies of silence start at the top.  I offer for discussion that it starts with the bargaining unit for the rank and file.  I concede that there are exceptions to any generalization.

I also note that these interviews are subject not only to the same constitutional rights and protections of citizens (officers being also citizens), but that they can be influenced by Garrity rights and warnings.
DW - from what I've read, in most departments not only do they get the 24 hours,  they are also allowed to review any videos (including body cams) of the incident before they are questioned and before they fine a report. 

Is that your experience? 

Would like to know what really happened in the Baton Rouge incident. The yell out "He's got a gun" is accurate. And when he was shot he is lying on his back. It can't be seen very well, but if he's reaching into his pocket with his right hand and pulling out his pistol then the shooting is justified. 

DW - from what I've read, in most departments not only do they get the 24 hours,  they are also allowed to review any videos (including body cams) of the incident before they are questioned and before they fine a report. 

Is that your experience? 
Not uniformly.  There are a couple of procedures or processes that can get conflated here as well.  Directives will vary somewhat among Departments as to when incident reports must be filed and as to when investigative statements on use of force investigations begin.  It is common to allow viewing of video when crafting incident reports, the classic police report as generally discussed.  It is less common to allow further review of video, or even of the incident reports again before being interviewed internally, but that does happen as well.  One has to remember that in use of force matters there really are two matters running side by side, the underlying criminal investigation which brought the officer into the matter, and the administrative investigation on use of force which may itself evolve, potentially quickly, into a second criminal investigation.  Both matters have procedural timelines and in both matters individuals have rights and sometimes there is tension between those rights.

Would like to know what really happened in the Baton Rouge incident. The yell out "He's got a gun" is accurate. And when he was shot he is lying on his back. It can't be seen very well, but if he's reaching into his pocket with his right hand and pulling out his pistol then the shooting is justified. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cGYddhYIjY

Man that is pretty bad.  Oh, well will be forgotten in a few days until the next "incident" happens. 
I'm going to go get some coffee and look at the papers (yes the newspaper...), curious if there's anything in them on this.

Thanks for the info DW, I always find your posts a great asset to the board in cases such as this.

As for this case in particular, barring some unforeseen evidence, this is murder.
Myself, I would not go so far, so fast.  The video tape does have audio stating or claiming the deceased had a gun.  The deceased was struggling and may have reached for or even gotten ahold of a gun and brought it to bear. The video is dark and partially obstructed by a vehicle.

This seemed like a busy place.  More video may come out.  Witnesses may file statements.  I have not heard from the officers yet (I have not attempted to do so as of yet so I don't know what they have stated or whether they had video).  I do not know whether there may be an audio recording by dispatch. (Some departments have systems that leave recording open to officers, some the officers must keep keying a microphone for dispatch to hear them.)  

I appreciate why many find the video so troubling.  I find it troubling.  I am not yet, however, willing to make conclusions.  I am particularly loath to use the word murder, it having potentially different meanings in the general parlance and in the legal community. I will follow this matter as it develops.

Looked to me like he had a gun that fell out of his hand when he hit the ground.  He then reached for it under the car and the gun was discovered by the cops when they rolled him over.  You can hear "He's got a gun!" and then the cop near his head pulls his gun out, the camera turns away, and you hear two shots.  Unclear who shot first.  Of course, that's my uninformed opinion on a 30 second video.  I think anyone jumping to final judgment either way based upon the video alone is being unreasonable.  There's a lot more evidence that needs to be reviewed before you can say it was justified or charge these cops with murder.

On the question of collective bargaining, there is a tricky balance between the rights of the victim, the rights of the cops, the ability to recruit and retain police, perceived or real institutional corruption or lack of control/training, and the need for public transparency.  All good questions and valid concerns, but heck if I know how to find a happy medium.

Looked to me like he had a gun that fell out of his hand when he hit the ground.  He then reached for it under the car and the gun was discovered by the cops when they rolled him over.  You can hear "He's got a gun!" and then the cop near his head pulls his gun out, the camera turns away, and you hear two shots.  Unclear who shot first.  Of course, that's my uninformed opinion on a 30 second video.  I think anyone jumping to final judgment either way based upon the video alone is being unreasonable.  There's a lot more evidence that needs to be reviewed before you can say it was justified or charge these cops with murder.

On the question of collective bargaining, there is a tricky balance between the rights of the victim, the rights of the cops, the ability to recruit and retain police, perceived or real institutional corruption or lack of control/training, and the need for public transparency.  All good questions and valid concerns, but heck if I know how to find a happy medium.
I was unable to make the observations from the video that you made.  I am currently working off of a small monitor with poor definition.  I will be interested to see if that bears out.

I note the article claims he is a felon who should not have a gun, and yet his family allegedly states he always does.  If so the family seems like it may have had an opportunity to prevent this end.  I do appreciate that some opportunities are difficult to take advantage of, full grown men not always acquiescing to familial advice.

Memory is distorted immediately following a stressful event.  Look into "critical incident amnesia" for some research.

Essentially, immediately following traumatic events, memory is distorted due to the increased stress hormone levels created during the event which impedes the brain's ability to create/retain new memories. 

Research has suggested that within 24 hours of a stressful incident, people remember about 30%, after 48 hours it improves to about 50%, and after 72 hours it gets above 75%.  As a result, this has become standard practice in law enforcement so that the official statement is made at a time when the officer has a greater recollection of all the details of the event.  It is not reserved simply for incidents ending in a fatality or incidents under public scrutiny, it is standard practice for anything in the realm of possible "traumatic event."

Memory is distorted immediately following a stressful event.  Look into "critical incident amnesia" for some research.

Essentially, immediately following traumatic events, memory is distorted due to the increased stress hormone levels created during the event which impedes the brain's ability to create/retain new memories. 

Research has suggested that within 24 hours of a stressful incident, people remember about 30%, after 48 hours it improves to about 50%, and after 72 hours it gets above 75%.  As a result, this has become standard practice in law enforcement so that the official statement is made at a time when the officer has a greater recollection of all the details of the event.  It is not reserved simply for incidents ending in a fatality or incidents under public scrutiny, it is standard practice for anything in the realm of possible "traumatic event."
If that's the case, why don't cops do the same for citizen suspects? Why are they interrogated as soon as possible?

You are correct, I was posting my obviously visceral reaction shortly after watching the video. Cooler heads should prevail. I hope there are some mitigating factors...the owner of the convenience store said he probably had the whole incident on video but the police confiscated it before he could watch it. I heard they found a gun afterwards but it was in his pocket; if it was in his hand that obviously changes things.

In any event I'm glad the feds are involved and this isn't all left up to the Baton Rouge PD.
I believe public confidence is enhanced somewhat when a Department's investigation of itself is transparent and is subject to review by outside agencies, though politics can never be wholly removed from such matters to everyone's satisfaction.

Soon there will be no more video tape to take, just copies of the data stream.  In those instances the police will have copies, but copies will remain with the owners as well.  Full control of the media has always been an issue.  When the police have all the video and the public none there is one equation, and quite another when that is not so.  The dynamic is changing rapidly out there with so much recording capability in everyone's hand.  That's good, in fact great that the public gets access to unfiltered information, at least if he public views it with a cautious eye.

I did, not long ago, do a white paper on the subject of body cams with the title being "Officers, you are now the director of your own movies."  The premise was that editorial decisions of how matters are recorded shape reality.  Turning the cameras on and off effects reality.  Phrasing why one did so in line with existing Department policies enhances or destroys credibility.  Further it discussed that the cameras have fixed points of view which can be directed towards or away from events by officer body positioning.  With some of the systems, Tazers video system comes to mind, it is possible for a person wearing the system to approach and put hands on a person without that person ever being in the field of view of the camera depending on body positioning.  Video can enhance our understandings, but is not necessarily definitive.

If that's the case, why don't cops do the same for citizen suspects? Why are they interrogated as soon as possible?
Because it is from such statements that probable cause to effectuate arrests arises, so that exigency needs to be addressed.  Many Departments re-interview witnesses and suspects and find that they obtain additional useful information later on.  the issue of memory function and developing research in that field always precedes what law enforcement practices are.  This is so since law enforcement practices are subject to shaping by courts, and in many instances are negotiated by unions, and further subject to legislative whim. and political pressure from community advocacy groups, who, after all, vote.

Is it applied to other potential criminals and witnesses, or just officers?

Users who are viewing this thread