What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NOW OFFICIAL:TO IS AN EAGLE (1 Viewer)

For a defensive starter to the 49ers (who they cannot name yet because they have not contacted him yet (spectulation is B.Whiting)Ravens will Receive a draft pickE A G L E S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd say the Ravens did pretty well here -- a 5th round pick in exchange for nothing.
Do they get their 2nd back from San Fran? I would think that they do, but it's not addressed in the article....

Do they get their 2nd back from San Fran? I would think that they do, but it's not addressed in the article....
I'm assuming they get that pick back, or they would be raising hell about it.

As a Steelers fan I can tell you that I am happy the Ravens are getting an extra 5th round pick and not Owens...

I'd say the Ravens did pretty well here -- a 5th round pick in exchange for nothing.
I disagree. They needed a WR, had no #1 pick, and had plenty of cap space. They made a move to lock up one of the elite WRs in the game, and now they've lost him. Meanwhile, DJackson, D.Boston, and M.Robinson are no longer available.They are pretty much ####ed, and it was through no fault of their own.

nothing except missing out on the opportunity to sign Darrelll Jackson or Justin McCariens, and/or re-sign Marcus Robinson.

I disagree. They needed a WR, had no #1 pick, and had plenty of cap space. They made a move to lock up one of the elite WRs in the game, and now they've lost him. Meanwhile, DJackson, D.Boston, and M.Robinson are no longer available.They are pretty much ####ed, and it was through no fault of their own.
I have to agree with Aaron, the Ravens got screwed on this deal. They could have pursued some other talented wide receivers if TO was suppose to be a free agent to begin with.

Did this "trade" come before the arbitrator's decision. Makes me think the NFL didn't have the slam dunk case that the media reported.I say more power to TO for going where he wanted to but I don't think it is going to result in a Super Bowl ring.

I wonder if this means Northcutt is a free agent now...I thought I read on here that his situation was similar to Owens, and the decision here would also roll over to him. SInce the NFL basically said that the real deadline was March 2...

This is just cruel, giving more hope to die-hard Eagles fans... what will their excuses be next January? oh yeah, no running game, Kearse was hurt, McNabb had a nagging knutinary injury aggravated by a thingamajig. :lol:

Did this "trade" come before the arbitrator's decision. Makes me think the NFL didn't have the slam dunk case that the media reported.I say more power to TO for going where he wanted to but I don't think it is going to result in a Super Bowl ring.
Yes, the trade happened before any decision was made. And, as a result, no decision was made in the grievance.

Owens and McCareins, crap :wall: that is a pretty good twosome. Certainly better than the rejects that the Eagels have been throwing out there for the past few years.
McCareins is Jets property now dude.

Balt. tryed to pull off a deal with the 9ers and get TO for next to nothing and it went south on them. I don't have any sympathy for them or the 9ers here.

They are pretty much ####ed, and it was through no fault of their own.
I'll disagree with that. They screwed up by trading for a disgruntled WR before they had a deal in place with him. They thought that if they traded for him than TO would 'see the light' and all of a sudden figure out that it's in his best interests to be a Raven.They took a gamble and lost......

A look into the future?Monday, Jan. 18 2005It seems the Philadelphia Eagles may NOT be victims of their 3rd consecutive NFC conference championship loss. Although time expired on last nights game between the Eagles and Vikings with the Vikings leading by a score of 35 to 30, it seems the scoring may not be over! Terrell Owens, citing his interview on saturday with ESPN, has filed a grievance with the league stating that he fully intended to score the winning touchdown in the game. In the game coach Andy Reid called an off tackle run by Correll Buckhalter on the teams 4th and 1 attempt on the Vikings 2 yard line with 32 seconds remaining in the game. Buckhalter was stopped for no gain and the Vikings recieved possession and promptly an out the clock to "win" the game.Owens and his agent, David Joseph, claim that Reid should have called a fade route to Owens on that play, noting that Owens intent was to score the game winning touchdown. Players Union executive director Gene Upshaw supports the claim stating that Reids inept play calling was the reason for the loss. Upshaw claims the NFL was ultimately responsible for this call due to it's support of Owens contract with the Eagles in March 2004. Upshaw stated the fact that the NFL supported the fact that Owens was and huge aquisition for the Eagles and that he was a play maker and game breaker. Due to this fact the NFL should have informed Reid that Owens should have been targeted on the final play of the game.This case is scheduled for arbitration on Wednesday, Jan. 20. Owens and Upshaw say they have complete confidence they will win the case and the arbitrator will award Owens a touchdown and the Eagles a win in the Jan. 17th game.The Vikings, historical victims of strange last minute losses, say that although they want the win, they believe Owens has a case. Head coach Mike Tice said "Stranger things have happened, Owens was allowed to become an Eagle after all. I just wish we would have thought about doing something similar in the 2003 draft when we intended to make a trade with the Ravens. Maybe then we would have still gotten Kevin Williams and picked up an extra pick!"Coach Andy Reid and NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue were unavailable for comment.

I wonder if this means Northcutt is a free agent now...
My guess is that the NFL put pressure on the teams to come to an agreement because they knew they would lose the case and didn't want the precedent (a low move if you ask me). Which means that for now, Northcutt is not a FA, but I imagine he'll also file a grievance.

My guess is that the NFL put pressure on the teams to come to an agreement because they knew they would lose the case and didn't want the precedent (a low move if you ask me). Which means that for now, Northcutt is not a FA, but I imagine he'll also file a grievance.
Just so you know, I don't think Owens won his grievance, so no precedent was set. The new deal was made before the arbitration was complete.

Just so you know, I don't think Owens won his grievance, so no precedent was set. The new deal was made before the arbitration was complete.
Exactly! That was the point of making this deal before the ruling came down.

Exactly, and do you blame them? The NFL is the strongest professional sports league in the country. We all love the sport, it's competitive, well structured, and the system works well. I, as a fan, look at this and the Clarrett case as the first cracks in an excellent system. In the past, the NFL ran the NFL. Now, thanks to the courts, the players will begin to run the NFL just like they do MLB and the NBA. We can all begin to say our farewells to the sport and the system we all love so much.As for TO, his complaint is that his intent was to become a free agent but his deadline was moved from March 2 to late January? If he wanted to become a free agent so bad then WHY did he and his agent wait until the last minute? Don't you think they would have filed the paperwork as soon as they were allowed to? I'm not saying he didn't want to become a free agent, but they screwed up and now someone else (Ravens, Niners, NFL, any other free agent WR who may have revieved a better deal if the Ravens were still in the market, etc.) must pay.I do not feel sorry for TO or his agent. I feel sorry for the NFL and for us as fans. The NFL has a system that works well for all, but a few greedy people who think only of themselves are doing everything they can to change all of that. Unfortunately, we the fans, will be the ones who pay in the end. I posted this on an earlier thread, just my 2 cents, but I don't believe I am alone in my thinking.

I'll disagree with that. They screwed up by trading for a disgruntled WR before they had a deal in place with him. They thought that if they traded for him than TO would 'see the light' and all of a sudden figure out that it's in his best interests to be a Raven.They took a gamble and lost......
TO had said Baltimore was one of the teams he was interested in, and his agent had been in contract negotiations with the Ravens.Sure, they didn't have a deal worked out, but according to the NFL, Owens was still under contract at the time. They offered a 2nd rounder while the Eagles were offering up a 5th. Sure sounds to me like they were willing to pay the price to get him.I also don't know how topdog can suggest that the Ravens tried to get him for "next to nothing". They offered more than anyone else would've.

I would still think Northcutt has a good case if he wants to file...
He may have but, he will have to go through the procedure himself without the benefit of the precedent that a ruling in TOs favor would have given him. We may see this whole thing again.

precedent has been set for a disgruntled player to act even more like a baby when it does not go his way. His agent %^&*ed up twice and the league bailed him out. Snyder better find his wallet, Lavar is at the door with his lawyer.

TO had said Baltimore was one of the teams he was interested in, and his agent had been in contract negotiations with the Ravens.Sure, they didn't have a deal worked out, but according to the NFL, Owens was still under contract at the time. They offered a 2nd rounder while the Eagles were offering up a 5th. Sure sounds to me like they were willing to pay the price to get him.I also don't know how topdog can suggest that the Ravens tried to get him for "next to nothing". They offered more than anyone else would've.
I think that the point here is that the NFL was wrong and TO should have been a FA. If that is true then Balt. would have had to compete with Phil. and other teams for TO. Balt. did not want to do that and talked a quick deal with the 9ers hoping that the NFL ruling on TOs FA status would hold.

Exactly, and do you blame them? The NFL is the strongest professional sports league in the country. We all love the sport, it's competitive, well structured, and the system works well. I, as a fan, look at this and the Clarrett case as the first cracks in an excellent system. In the past, the NFL ran the NFL. Now, thanks to the courts, the players will begin to run the NFL just like they do MLB and the NBA. We can all begin to say our farewells to the sport and the system we all love so much.As for TO, his complaint is that his intent was to become a free agent but his deadline was moved from March 2 to late January? If he wanted to become a free agent so bad then WHY did he and his agent wait until the last minute? Don't you think they would have filed the paperwork as soon as they were allowed to? I'm not saying he didn't want to become a free agent, but they screwed up and now someone else (Ravens, Niners, NFL, any other free agent WR who may have revieved a better deal if the Ravens were still in the market, etc.) must pay.I do not feel sorry for TO or his agent. I feel sorry for the NFL and for us as fans. The NFL has a system that works well for all, but a few greedy people who think only of themselves are doing everything they can to change all of that. Unfortunately, we the fans, will be the ones who pay in the end. I posted this on an earlier thread, just my 2 cents, but I don't believe I am alone in my thinking.
Fly Eagles Fly, On the Road to Victory!Fight Eagles Fight, Score a Touchdown 1-2-3!Hit'em Low, Hit'em High, and Watch Our Eagles Fly!Fly Eagles Fly, On the Road to Victory!E-A-G-L-E-S-EAGLES!Oh, and as to your point of contention, TO's agent was waiting to file to make it less likely that the Niners would franchise or transition TO. Once Peterson was franchised, the plan was for TO to file at the March deadline.

Agreed - the Ravens, in good faith, offered a 2nd Rounder which was head and shoulders above what the Eagles offered. The NFL agrees and the Ravens are set with their go-to WR. They release Marcus Robinson and watch Jackson, McCareins and Boston sign with other teams believing they are secure with TO. Now you can say the Ravens are getting an extra 5th round draft-pick for nothing but you would be incorrect. The Ravens are now, once again, without a go-to WR and instead of having any options on the market, we are given a 5th Round Pick? B.S.Best I can see now is trading our 2nd and whatever pick (if it is indeed the 5th) to move up and get a WR in the draft.

People still don't get this. The Eagles' reported offer of a 5th and Thrash was NOT their only and final offer. That was a starting point, and SF never got back to them as they said they would. If you go to buy a car that has a sticker price of $20,000, do you go and offer them $21,000? You start low and haggle to an agreement.I just don't understand why SF gets a player out of this deal. Out of all parties involved, it looks like they are the ones carrying the most blame. If they get a player, Thrash should be forced upon them! :D

I agree, but dont agree.This case would not be a case if Joseph didnt miss the deadline. However, for whatever reason he did. AS IT TURNS OUT, the NFL was not able to adjust TOs contract with the 49ers with respect to the date to file.What is the real issue here? That a player was right? The NFL will make mistakes, there is nothing wrong with that. The Clarrett issue is a whole nother ball game that I think will resolve itself, i.e no $$ for youngins or broken heads. Either way I think it will work itself out.

He may have but, he will have to go through the procedure himself without the benefit of the precedent that a ruling in TOs favor would have given him. We may see this whole thing again.
TO had a date in the contract that had a 3/15 date to file for FA. This is what essentially made TO get his way. Northcutt may not have what TO did in his contract. who cares about northcutt anyway...TO is an EAGLE

:rotflmao:Just a better WR for McNabb to throw his bounce passes to.Should be funny to see Wood take his annual "vacation" again next late-January. :o

TO had a date in the contract that had a 3/15 date to file for FA. This is what essentially made TO get his way. Northcutt may not have what TO did in his contract. who cares about northcutt anyway...

TO is an EAGLE
:thumbup: I agree!

:rotflmao:Just a better WR for McNabb to throw his bounce passes to.Should be funny to see Wood take his annual "vacation" again next late-January. :o
Exactly!Unless TO had some go-go-gadget arms installed this offseason, he's gonna have a hard time liking McNabbs passes more than Garcia's.

I can't wait to see TO's face when McNabb throws a few balls to his feet.The Eagles just brought poison into the locker room, let's see how long it is until it spreads.

Philly will probably get rid of one talented cry-baby malcontent in the summer and will add a new one to replace him. 2 different sports same net result.

People still don't get this. The Eagles' reported offer of a 5th and Thrash was NOT their only and final offer. That was a starting point, and SF never got back to them as they said they would. If you go to buy a car that has a sticker price of $20,000, do you go and offer them $21,000? You start low and haggle to an agreement.I just don't understand why SF gets a player out of this deal. Out of all parties involved, it looks like they are the ones carrying the most blame. If they get a player, Thrash should be forced upon them! :D
Yeah, but to extend your analogy, that was like going into the Mercedes dealership, looking at the Kompresser roadster, and starting your offer at $12,000. If a deal's insulting, and someone else is making a good faith offer, the dealer may not give you the courtesy of a chance to match the other offer.SF had to get a player to get them to agree to give baltimore's pick back.

Fly Eagles Fly, On the Road to Victory!Fight Eagles Fight, Score a Touchdown 1-2-3!Hit'em Low, Hit'em High, and Watch Our Eagles Fly!Fly Eagles Fly, On the Road to Victory!E-A-G-L-E-S-EAGLES!Oh, and as to your point of contention, TO's agent was waiting to file to make it less likely that the Niners would franchise or transition TO. Once Peterson was franchised, the plan was for TO to file at the March deadline.
ROFL, remember this post in a year or two when T.O. becomes unhappy with the Eagles. Think it won't happen? Don't be so sure.As far as Owens being an Eagle, I predicted that would happen last year. The only problem I have is the way it all went down.T.O. "Whateva, I do what I want!" (ala Cartman)

Honestly, as much a distraction as TO is off the field (and sometimes on), I think he's going to flourish in Philly. He's getting exactly what he wanted, and he should produce big time. He could easily catch 100+ balls and 15 TDs in this offense.

Fly Eagles Fly, On the Road to Victory!

Fight Eagles Fight, Score a Touchdown 1-2-3!

Hit'em Low, Hit'em High, and Watch Our Eagles Fly!

Fly Eagles Fly, On the Road to Victory!

E-A-G-L-E-S-EAGLES!
:rotflmao: Bringing it home for Jerome in 2001, uh 2002, no, uh 2003...uh, maybe 2004? :confused:

CHEERS

It just kills me. Last week, people were all over the Eagles because they didn't sign a WR. Now they not only sign Owens but have their first 3 picks intact (and likely 2 4th round compensatory picks from last year).And the same people from different teams who were dogging the Eagles for NOT signing Owens and NOT giving up a first round pick are dogging the Eagles for signing Owens and only giving up a 5th and Whiting.

From reading these threads I believe T.O. would have won.The key point seems to be his contract had a date set that was intended to beAFTER the franchise date. The 49'ers signed off on that contract and so acceptedthat T.O. could void his contract after the franchise date had expired. I don't think T.O. is being a "crybaby", he's just doing what any intelligent beingwould.

From reading these threads I believe T.O. would have won.The key point seems to be his contract had a date set that was intended to beAFTER the franchise date. The 49'ers signed off on that contract and so acceptedthat T.O. could void his contract after the franchise date had expired. I don't think T.O. is being a "crybaby", he's just doing what any intelligent beingwould.
Yup! He is holding SF and the NFL to a contract. The NFL made a mistake saying that TO was not a FA and SF tried to take advantage of that. Balt. may have got caught in the middle but I really don't think so. I think they figured that the NFL ruling would stand and they wouldn't have to compete for TO on the open market.

Yeah, but to extend your analogy, that was like going into the Mercedes dealership, looking at the Kompresser roadster, and starting your offer at $12,000. If a deal's insulting, and someone else is making a good faith offer, the dealer may not give you the courtesy of a chance to match the other offer.SF had to get a player to get them to agree to give baltimore's pick back.
Not at all, because you can't put absolute values on players. If that were the case, then AJ Feely is on par with TO, that would be a fair striaght up trade since that was what both players were initially traded for. And possibly, AJ has more value if the Dolphins pick winds up being higher then the Ravens pick. So comparing the Eagles initial offer to your Mercedes analogy is ridiculous.I'm just tired of all of the Eagles haters focusing on the alleged "low-ball" offer, when they never had a chance to better the offer since the first they heard of Baltimore's offer of a 2nd was when the trade was finalized and announced in the media.

It just kills me. Last week, people were all over the Eagles because they didn't sign a WR. Now they not only sign Owens but have their first 3 picks intact (and likely 2 4th round compensatory picks from last year).And the same people from different teams who were dogging the Eagles for NOT signing Owens and NOT giving up a first round pick are dogging the Eagles for signing Owens and only giving up a 5th and Whiting.
People are just bitter. TO got his way. He's not a Raven and bunch of Eagles Haters know this makes him better.TO is not foreign to what McNabb's passes are like. He gotten the ball thrown to him from McNabb via the ProBowl. Yes, it is not a real game, but it is the real McNabb.This takes the pressure of McNabb try and make the perfect pass since his WR were never open enough. TO will look huge compared to what he is used to and passes in the rough will not be an issue. Besides, him playing with a bad thumb has only caused the pass in the dirt to become a larger issue than it really is.Simply put - JEALOUSY!

Nobody I see is doing that. The Iggs HAD to get this done. And it's a good move for them...I just don't think it's going to push them over the edge.TO has always been a fantastic WR, but he's never exactly been proven to be a winner...I can tell you in the playoff game against the Bucs in 2002 he was short-arming absolutely everything, so I'm not sure he's the final piece.We'll see if the trouble he brings is going to be worth the talent.

Users who are viewing this thread