What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you movie literate? (1 Viewer)

How many movies of the list have you seen?

• Total voters

KarmaPolice

Footballguy
I heard about this list listening to a podcast tonight. Thought it was an interesting concept - are there certain movies that you would need to see to be considered to know what the hell you are talking about with movies. I know it is one critic's opinion, but it was an interesting list. Here is the 102 movies that he thinks you need to see to be movie literate:

LIST

How many have you seen, and what do you think of the list? Any glaring omissions that you would think every movie fan needs to watch? Any on the list that just don't make sense?

:popcorn:

Of the ones I had not seen, i have heard of them so they weren't unknown to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
42 that I'm sure of. There are only a couple of movies I haven't seen that I would have any interest in.

Missing a lot of really good movies. The Shawshank Redemption, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly,12 Angry Men, etc

63 but some of them only because I took a film class (8 1/2, Persona, Blow Up).

I would add a few:

Boogie Nights

Network

Judgment at Nuremberg

Europa Europa

Hoop Dreams

The Last Emperor

Tootsie

Psycho

Marathon Man

Cabaret

Capote

63 but some of them only because I took a film class (8 1/2, Persona, Blow Up).

I would add a few:

Boogie Nights

Network

Judgment at Nuremberg

Europa Europa

Hoop Dreams

The Last Emperor

Tootsie

Psycho

Marathon Man

Cabaret

Capote
psycho was on there

Biggest omissions for me were The Apartment, Raging Bull, Silence of the Lambs and Amadeus. Lots of good ideas there for movies to see though, good post.

Scored 51.

Last edited by a moderator:
84 but I'm old.

It's a pretty standard list of film school classics with a few curve balls thrown in to keep it from being too generic. The one howler for me is the 70s Streisand version of A Star is Born. I didn't stick around for the finish (so it's not on my list of 84) but what I did see was a lot worse than both the 1930s and 1950s versions of the same story.

84 but I'm old.

It's a pretty standard list of film school classics with a few curve balls thrown in to keep it from being too generic. The one howler for me is the 70s Streisand version of A Star is Born. I didn't stick around for the finish (so it's not on my list of 84) but what I did see was a lot worse than both the 1930s and 1950s versions of the same story.
:lol: I was counting my list while you typed this, I guess. I saw you were the other person with 81-90 and I thought it's because we're old. :)

37. Probably another 10 I've seen a lot of, turning it on partway through. But never watched from the beginning.

84 but I'm old.

:lol: I was counting my list while you typed this, I guess. I saw you were the other person with 81-90 and I thought it's because we're old. :)
It this had been somebody's list of the 102 top movies made since 2000, I would probably have one of the lowest scores on this board.

84 but I'm old.

It this had been somebody's list of the 102 top movies made since 2000, I would probably have one of the lowest scores on this board.
HERE

is The AV Club's list of the best 100 movies of the decade so far.

84 but I'm old.

HERE

I don't watch as many movies as I thought. I haven't heard around half of that list.

84 but I'm old.

HERE

21I don't watch as many movies as I thought. I haven't heard around half of that list.
8...tough to score lower than that, lol. I just don't watch many movies anymore, much more into reading, music, TV.

84 but I'm old.

HERE

21I don't watch as many movies as I thought. I haven't heard around half of that list.
8...tough to score lower than that, lol. I just don't watch many movies anymore, much more into reading, music, TV.
Jeez. 15. We need to do an eighties/nineties list. Those strike me as very AV Club-centric. Nobody but the AV Club really loved the Color Wheel. Believe me, I saw it. Tough movie to love.

I do desperately want to see Frances Ha, but it's a ##### to get digital access to.

25 I've watch completely. If you count movie I fell asleep while watching that number increases to about 50.

I'll always be deficient with the 80s catalog. Did not care for movies all that much back then, and now I won't watch them because they've aged so terribly.

84 but I'm old.

HERE

I don't watch as many movies as I thought. I haven't heard around half of that list.
21 :hifive:

84 but I'm old.

HERE

Jeez. 15. We need to do an eighties/nineties list. Those strike me as very AV Club-centric. Nobody but the AV Club really loved the Color Wheel. Believe me, I saw it. Tough movie to love.

I do desperately want to see Frances Ha, but it's a ##### to get digital access to.
Very sadly, I got the same score for both - 54. They were digging deep with the AV Club list, and there were a dozen+ I had never of.

I think some on the AV were just foreign. Oddly, I had seen Holy Motors and it a French film...extremely bizarre as well.

Users who are viewing this thread