What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deadwood (2 Viewers)

Joe T

Footballguy
Anyone else see the previews for this on HBO prior to the Soprano's?Starts next Sunday. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm watching it. I hate when I miss the premiere of an HBO show and then I can never bring myself to try to catch up. Band of Brothers is my prime example of this.

I'm watching it. I hate when I miss the premiere of an HBO show and then I can never bring myself to try to catch up. Band of Brothers is my prime example of this.
Then buy the DVD set. It's worth it.I've got tons of DVDs and the Band of Brothers set is in my top 5.

I think this show is going to set a record for f-bombs. I couldn't be happier!
I noticed this from the previews. Did they really drop the f-bomb with such regularity in the Old West? I always imagined Wild Bill and the James gang saying, "I declare!", "Tarnation!" and "Dagnabit!" when interjecting.:smilewhenyousaythatpardner:

I noticed this from the previews. Did they really drop the f-bomb with such regularity in the Old West? I always imagined Wild Bill and the James gang saying, "I declare!", "Tarnation!" and "Dagnabit!" when interjecting.:smilewhenyousaythatpardner:
One of my buddies had the same question when we saw the previews. That sure would detract from things if a guy was about to gut someone and he says something along the lines of "Now listen here, you lilly-livered scalawag! There's just some things we don't do around here, and sweet talkin' another man's horse is one of 'em!"

I love westerns, so I'm psyched to the max.

And yes, the 'f' word was common in the old west. "Dagnabit' and the like were Hollywood inventions to get around the old Hayes code.

"In 1904, he tried experiencing the cowboy life for himself, planning to draw a cattle drive for Scribner’s Magazine," McTigue says. "His romantic vision of the cowboy soon clashed with reality and he was put off with the cowboys’ ‘foul and filthy talk.’" http://comm.uoregon.edu/newsreleases/art/jan99/P012099.html

Last edited by a moderator:
A review of Deadwood is airing now on NPR's Fresh Air segment. A team of linguists gathered to discuss Deadwood's overuse of the f-bomb and determined that a fair amount of the language is about a century ahead of its time.

They still give the show a big :thumbup: , but they cannot understand why the show's creators chose to frontload the show with so much swearing. The first ten minutes of the first episode (airing this Sunday) are equivalent to f-carpetbombing and many viewers are likely to turn the channel before giving the show a chance.

nothing better than a great movie based on fact.

HBO is annoying me a little bit. Starz! has MUCH better movies, and a bigger variety of them than HBO/Cinemax. HBO is just premiering the same movies that Cinemax had premiered before in the last couple of weeks. Starz! really does have a new movie each week. :yes:

HBO is annoying me a little bit. Starz! has MUCH better movies, and a bigger variety of them than HBO/Cinemax. HBO is just premiering the same movies that Cinemax had premiered before in the last couple of weeks. Starz! really does have a new movie each week. :yes:
:confused:

OK.HBO and Cinemax this week "premiered" Old School and Two Weeks Notice. Both had already premiered on the other network a couple of months earlier. The number of new movies that premiered this year on HBO and Cinemax is really small.In the last 3 months or so, Starz! has premiered the Two Towers, Chicago, Gangs of New York, Bringin' Down the House, Frida, the Pianist, and many others - one per week.

OK.HBO and Cinemax this week "premiered" Old School and Two Weeks Notice. Both had already premiered on the other network a couple of months earlier. The number of new movies that premiered this year on HBO and Cinemax is really small.In the last 3 months or so, Starz! has premiered the Two Towers, Chicago, Gangs of New York, Bringin' Down the House, Frida, the Pianist, and many others - one per week.
I understand that and agree with you. I just don't understand what that has to do with Deadwood.

I understand that and agree with you. I just don't understand what that has to do with Deadwood.
Nothing really - except HBO is spending more time promoting their series than their movies, and that is what inspired me to make that comment.

Go to HBO.com and look when it's playing again. They re-air things during the week just for folks that missed it. Also, with new shows, they sometimes play the whole first season (in order) after it's over, like they did with the Wire. It'll be re-aired, just look it up, all's fine.HBO does seem to me more about shows in a way. HBO owns another cable movie network though. Is it Starz? I do remember when HBO was the channel for movies, it is very different now.Not one comment on throwing the dead body into the pig pen for them to eat. Doc sticking a huge q-tip thru the exit wound and it coming out the entrance wound of the bullet hole. They smoked that NYer good on the bidding. He almost seemed foreign. I thought that was odd, NYers are usually the ones I'd expect to be "pulling a fast one" not folks from a small town out west. Anyhow, wonder if they planted a little gold and it's really an area that's been harvested "dry" already. That guy's mutterring before he died was that his relative was from Ticonderoga NY. Seems odd to have two NYers in Dakota(?) Very interested, let's see what comes next.

9:00pm Sunday. Just as I'm settling in to watch two hours of uncensored HBO dramas, a car pulls up in the driveway. It's Mom, on her way home to Nashville and needing a place to crash for the night.

:wall:

I hadn't seen her in about six months, so I did the right thing...I tried to watch The Sopranos out of the corner of my eye while nodding in her direction as she regaled me with family gossip. (Apparently my great-aunt Betty burps a lot after she eats corned beef. Seriously.)

:rolleyes:

Mom had a mouth like a sailor in her day but since she "came to Jesus" she has no tolerance for f-bombs or other similar ordnance. By the time Robert Loggia was breaking the hand of a hapless groundskeeper, we were already searching the channels for more family-friendly fare.

:bag:

Never did get a chance to see Deadwood. GB HBO re-airing their shows all week long...

I guess I was a couple of weeks too early.

I watched it. It was ok. I thought there would be more gun fighting and nudity. Beat up chicks are not sexy. The gratuitious (sp?) nudity at the end was :sleep:

The language did seem awfully "modern". In the previews for the series they talked about how much research they did for the show. It seemed like the first episode was a bit slow as they set up all the characters. Hopefully it picks up. I will give it another couple of weeks.

As long as Wild Bill Hicock's female cowhand does not get naked :yucky: , I will continue to watch as well.

You gotta give it a couple weeks to get going! It sure has promise though. I can understand a lot of people wouldn't like it however, they don't have to watch it.Sucks about the mom showing up, here we get 14 HBO's, and everything is replayed 3 hours later on one of them. Could have stayed up late to watch it, or tape it....

I thought it sucked! No good direction, motivations were scetchy at best and a few of the actors were horrible. I didn't think it was up to HBO snuff at all.

As long as Wild Bill Hicock's female cowhand does not get naked :yucky: , I will continue to watch as well.
Ah, wouldn't that be Calamity Jane?I liked the show a lot. Am looking forward to the season. A show about bad guys and not-so-bad guys.

Wild Bill Hicock's female cowhand
Calamity Jane. And that line she threw out in the bar when the men in there wouldn't go with her to search for that family was :rotflmao: As for the show, I thought it was great. I think Al is the devil incarnate.

Calamity Jane. I think she is famous.
She is infamous, and famously unattractive as well.I stayed awake in my History of the Wild West in junior high. Another tidbit I remember from class:Billy the Kid didn't shave until he was at least eighteen; his soft features and lack of facial hair made it easy for him to disguise himself as a woman, which he did with regularity. He would hang out in saloons dressed as a young lady and entice men into leaving with him...then beat them and rob them as soon as he had lured them away from the crowd.

She is infamous, and famously unattractive as well.I stayed awake in my History of the Wild West in junior high. Another tidbit I remember from class:Billy the Kid didn't shave until he was at least eighteen; his soft features and lack of facial hair made it easy for him to disguise himself as a woman, which he did with regularity. He would hang out in saloons dressed as a young lady and entice men into leaving with him...then beat them and rob them as soon as he had lured them away from the crowd.
You remembered it word for word?:cutandpaste:

Calamity Jane. I think she is famous.
I didn't recognize that last night. Thanks for the info! And I don't care if her name was Felatio Jane, I still don't want to see her even close to naked.

That is no cut-and-paste. I remembered it; the words are mine.:stepoutsideandsaythat:
Then you are an eloquent man. I am glad we are not in Deadwood now. You would have shot me.

Guess there could be some spoilers in there if you aren't entirely brushed up on your American history
Yeah, although I think the Deadwood writers will gladly be taking some historical liberties during the series.

Apparently, c***sucker was the most popular expletive in the old west.All in all, I liked it.
The Csmoker & Fbombs seemed forced but the show did entertain me. How 'bout the cans :thumbup: on the broad in the opening getting into the tub . Poosay was also thrown about liberally .

Calamity Jane infoGuess there could be some spoilers in there if you aren't entirely brushed up on your American history
Good link, and yes, there are some potential spoilers to the series. Notably, a few deaths.I liked the show. I didn't catch it until Friday or Saturday, then the second episode last night. Although, I can't say that I am completely enthrawled with it, I did find myself wanting a little more when it ended last night.I like the dark character of "Montana". He has an almost Doc Holiday type demeanor. Grim and cold.The other hardware guy is spineless, I don't care much for him. Hopefully, he'll develop a bit.Al, the owner of the Gem is awesome. He could be the best character yet, but unless he keeps adding to himself, he could get a little boring.The blonde whore with the shiner is interesting. I bet she does some serious damage at some point. Terrible #### though. :XWild Bill and Calamity Jane are good additions, but I almost wish that Bill was more in his "hay day". His downward spiral of dispair is like that of Doc Holiday as well. Jane is, well, she is woman trying to make it in a man's world and she appears to be failing in some ways. I like her drive, but I find myslef wanting to just punch her in the face.In typical HBO fashion, the reverand will play the foreshadowing role and tell a good amount of the tale as the series progresses.Overall, I like it. I'll keep watching it for at least the opportunity to see what face goes along with the rack slipping into the tub in the opening credits. :thumbup:

"#####'s half price for the next 15 minutes!"I think maybe Swearingen is my favorite badguy on TV. What a major scumbag.

Loved the show (finally watched it on Tivo last night) and hope it has a long run on HBO. I've always been a Western fan and to have a series the quality of which HBO puts together in that genre is a great thing to be sure.Hickock is an interesting character, having become a degenerate gambler and gone past his prime, but as we saw in the show he's still a darn fast draw. Calamity Jane was well portrayed (thank goodness for someone finally portraying her in the manner which reflects historical description) but I would just as soon see her killed next week. Not sure what to make of the protagonist (the Marshall with the hardware store). There were moments when it seemed he would bend his scruples, while other times he was as standup as they get. I'm guessing he's exactly the type of anti hero that would work in the lawless west. :thumbup: to Deadwood

Loved the show (finally watched it on Tivo last night) and hope it has a long run on HBO. I've always been a Western fan and to have a series the quality of which HBO puts together in that genre is a great thing to be sure.Hickock is an interesting character, having become a degenerate gambler and gone past his prime, but as we saw in the show he's still a darn fast draw. Calamity Jane was well portrayed (thank goodness for someone finally portraying her in the manner which reflects historical description) but I would just as soon see her killed next week. Not sure what to make of the protagonist (the Marshall with the hardware store). There were moments when it seemed he would bend his scruples, while other times he was as standup as they get. I'm guessing he's exactly the type of anti hero that would work in the lawless west. :thumbup: to Deadwood
Who is the guy that plays Montana, it looks like Michael Biehn from the Terminator series, but I guess not. I swear, everyone in there looks like someone else. I kept getting a Al Pacino or Powers Boothe (bad-guy in Tombstone) feeling from Swearingen, Michael Biehn from Montana, and John C. Reilly from half the guys who work for Swearingen.

Users who are viewing this thread