What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deadwood (3 Viewers)

The Earps were annoying, I hope they get their heads blown off.....just joking....they are going to join the town against Hearst....that seems obvious.
Obvious? Was it Morgan's statement that they should kill Bullock and take his job that leads you to this conclusion? I'm refraining from looking into the actual history of the town, so maybe you're right, but I didn't get that impression at all. They seem like opportunists to me, and the wind is blowing Hearst's way right now.

:confused:
Well, it's pretty obvious that the only person in camp so far that Wyatt repsects is Bullock and Bullock clearly views Wyatt as a bad-### dude. (the whole logging supply mini-storyline set this up...neither of these guys really want to mess with each other.)Wyatt also payed-up for Morgan's trangressions at Gem, so he pretty clearly didn't want Al thinking he and Morgan were deadbeats. While Wyatt is a gun for hire, I think he knows that Al will pay him the most in the end.

The Earps were annoying, I hope they get their heads blown off.....just joking....they are going to join the town against Hearst....that seems obvious.
Obvious? Was it Morgan's statement that they should kill Bullock and take his job that leads you to this conclusion? I'm refraining from looking into the actual history of the town, so maybe you're right, but I didn't get that impression at all. They seem like opportunists to me, and the wind is blowing Hearst's way right now.

Well, it's pretty obvious that the only person in camp so far that Wyatt repsects is Bullock and Bullock clearly views Wyatt as a bad-### dude. (the whole logging supply mini-storyline set this up...neither of these guys really want to mess with each other.)Wyatt also payed-up for Morgan's trangressions at Gem, so he pretty clearly didn't want Al thinking he and Morgan were deadbeats. While Wyatt is a gun for hire, I think he knows that Al will pay him the most in the end.
Why would Wyatt care what Al thought of him if the only one he respects is Bullock? ;) Anyway, if cash is king, how would Al top Hearst?

And for the record, Bullock didn't "warm" to Earp (if you can call it warming) until he had verification that Earp did indeed serve as a lawman. And he found some common ground in their common behavior when they weren't wearing a badge. But I think it's a leap to say Bullock views him as a badass since he basically caught him out in the lie that they ran of road agents.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

(Lastly, surprised the Alma fans haven't been out in force with their disappointment in her absence last night. :D )

First off, Earp was a lawman before. IMO, the remark from Morgan about killing Bullock was complete utter sarcasm. Seemed like a way of trying to get on his brothers nerve (which seemed like he enjoyed doing), who was a lawman himself. Also, Morgan later on remarked about getting deputized with Bullock to make extra money.Secondly, the conversation Bullock had with Wyatt about lawmen that retire....sometimes they go on the opposite side of the path...I took it as meaning, they go rogue..... Wyatt and Morgan both looked liked they were slapped in the face....Bullock then commented about the other side, never losing the idea of performing justice....to which Earp replied.....yeah some men.

Thirdly, I don't know the history either, but of all the moview regarding Wyatt Earp and his brother, they were decent good people. Total opposite of what they would be if they become assasins for Hearst.

So, IMO, yes it's obvious Wyatt will join the camp in this battle.

First off, Earp was a lawman before. IMO, the remark from Morgan about killing Bullock was complete utter sarcasm. Seemed like a way of trying to get on his brothers nerve (which seemed like he enjoyed doing), who was a lawman himself. Also, Morgan later on remarked about getting deputized with Bullock to make extra money.Secondly, the conversation Bullock had with Wyatt about lawmen that retire....sometimes they go on the opposite side of the path...I took it as meaning, they go rogue..... Wyatt and Morgan both looked liked they were slapped in the face....Bullock then commented about the other side, never losing the idea of performing justice....to which Earp replied.....yeah some men.

Thirdly, I don't know the history either, but of all the moview regarding Wyatt Earp and his brother, they were decent good people. Total opposite of what they would be if they become assasins for Hearst.

So, IMO, yes it's obvious Wyatt will join the camp in this battle.
I'm not sure I'd take movies as the gospel truth about any character. In any event, we'll see which way the Earps fall. Personally, I think it could go either way (or no way at all if they choose not to choose sides).

Why would Wyatt care what Al thought of him if the only one he respects is Bullock? ;) Anyway, if cash is king, how would Al top Hearst?

And for the record, Bullock didn't "warm" to Earp (if you can call it warming) until he had verification that Earp did indeed serve as a lawman. And he found some common ground in their common behavior when they weren't wearing a badge. But I think it's a leap to say Bullock views him as a badass since he basically caught him out in the lie that they ran of road agents.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

(Lastly, surprised the Alma fans haven't been out in force with their disappointment in her absence last night. :D )
Well Al did say he would double any offer they got. BTW, I don't think the Earp's have a clear handle on all the parties in Deadwood. They know that Cy has some deep pockets, but you also get the sense that Wyatt knows he's playing Cy. I don't think they necessarily "know" about Hearst yet. BTW Bullock "stood down" to Wyatt on the lumber supplies sitting in his store after the Earp's came out of the Gem, but before Bullock knew he was ex-law enforcement. By "standing down" Bullock showed Wyatt at least some respect before finding out, though he clearly didn't respect Morgan.

One other point...Wyatt took Al's shot as he was leaving, indicating that Al's proposal was at least interesting.

Looks like its go-time next weekI guess that was it for the Earps
Yeah, more than a little dissappointing....I get the feeling that with the continous time layout of the script that the writers are having a little trouble coming up with interesting subplots...which is probably the reason they went for the two movies, so they can jump around a bit.

Not sure if it will happen next week but the Gem saloon is gonna burn.
Tolliver basically kiboshed that in the short term when Al's Rep (forget the guy's name) went over to talk with him the next morning after the riders arrived. Tolliver basically said they would have burned everything already if they wanted. The problem with burning the Gem is that everything in town burns. I agree though that I wouldn't be surprised if that's how the season concludes though.

:confused: I never watch the previews so :sadbanana:3 episodes left (I think). Do they leave us with a cliffhanger, or will the major plot lines be resolved?
Cliffhanger? This is the last season. No season 4.
I know that. You know that. But when did the writers know that? Was the season in the can before the decision/announcement was made? If so, a cliffhanger is highly probable.

:confused: I never watch the previews so :sadbanana:3 episodes left (I think). Do they leave us with a cliffhanger, or will the major plot lines be resolved?
I know that. You know that. But when did the writers know that? Was the season in the can before the decision/announcement was made? If so, a cliffhanger is highly probable.
Supposedly there will be 2 two-hour HBO movies in the future.

I read that it was known before they started shooting season 3, but who knows? I thought you assuming there would be a season 4.

Forgive my ignorance if the link has already been posted, but where is the info on this being the last season? I don't see that on the Deadwood homepage on HBO.com. Is it 'officially' the last season!?!

Not sure if it will happen next week but the Gem saloon is gonna burn.
Tolliver basically kiboshed that in the short term when Al's Rep (forget the guy's name) went over to talk with him the next morning after the riders arrived. Tolliver basically said they would have burned everything already if they wanted. The problem with burning the Gem is that everything in town burns. I agree though that I wouldn't be surprised if that's how the season concludes though.
Considering a real-life fire destroyed most of the town along with the Gem and Bullock/Star's Hardware store, I can't see anyway it isnt reflected in the series. Both were rebuilt so I could definitely invision Al and Bullock standing in the ruins planning to rebuild with a defiant steely eyed resolve as the series ends. :yes:

Last edited:
Jane may be an irritating cut-out drunk character, but they still give her some pretty good lines.

Mose: "Jane, you need to get up!"

Jane: "Get out of my light! Who's that talking eclipse?"

Mose: "It's me, Jane. Mose Manuel."

Jane: "Oh, I thought it was Giganto, the runaway circus elephant!"

Mose: "Come on Jane- now. You gotta walk the kids to their new school."

Jane: "Alright Giganto! I'm coming!"

BTW can Joanie Stubbs' character get any more pathetic or annoying? I'm starting to wish that Wolcott had gotten her too.

Jane may be an irritating cut-out drunk character, but they still give her some pretty good lines.Mose: "Jane, you need to get up!"Jane: "Get out of my light! Who's that talking eclipse?"Mose: "It's me, Jane. Mose Manuel."Jane: "Oh, I thought it was Giganto, the runaway circus elephant!"Mose: "Come on Jane- now. You gotta walk the kids to their new school."Jane: "Alright Giganto! I'm coming!"BTW can Joanie Stubbs' character get any more pathetic or annoying? I'm starting to wish that Wolcott had gotten her too.
You got that right. She went from being strong enough to break away from Tolliver to worrying about the children not understanding the complete story behind the tree in their school room. Wierd character arc.

Jane may be an irritating cut-out drunk character, but they still give her some pretty good lines.Mose: "Jane, you need to get up!"Jane: "Get out of my light! Who's that talking eclipse?"Mose: "It's me, Jane. Mose Manuel."Jane: "Oh, I thought it was Giganto, the runaway circus elephant!"Mose: "Come on Jane- now. You gotta walk the kids to their new school."Jane: "Alright Giganto! I'm coming!"BTW can Joanie Stubbs' character get any more pathetic or annoying? I'm starting to wish that Wolcott had gotten her too.
You got that right. She went from being strong enough to break away from Tolliver to worrying about the children not understanding the complete story behind the tree in their school room. Wierd character arc.
I am still hopeful that she and Mrs. Ellesworth will knock each other off in a murder-suicide.

I am still hopeful that she and Mrs. Ellesworth will knock each other off in a murder-suicide.
While naked :wub:

How are all these people still alive in the supposed Wild, Wild West?

I mean, isn't it time Swearengen, Cy, Bulluck, or Hearst got knocked off? Why are they each just sitting around and not killing someone? There's enough hatred of Hearst that they could surely take him out in a heartbeat.

How are all these people still alive in the supposed Wild, Wild West?I mean, isn't it time Swearengen, Cy, Bulluck, or Hearst got knocked off? Why are they each just sitting around and not killing someone? There's enough hatred of Hearst that they could surely take him out in a heartbeat.
It would be bad form (not to mention bad history) to have someone kill Bullock, Swearengen or Hearst in Deadwood in 1877 (the year depicted in Season Three). All three are (were) real people living and interacting at that time, and all three survived several more years.Swearengen died in the 1890s after being run over by a train, for instance. Would you rather see him fed to Wu's pigs?Tolliver is fair game, since he's a fictional character.

this last episode was the best ive seen in a very long time.

I almost gave up on the show but when heard it was the last season decided to stick it out.

im hoping for jane to go to the talent show and show her stuff.

I am a really big fan, but did I miss something? That had to be the one of the worst episodes ever! The only redeming part was Swearengen's ### whuppin. What was with Jane's 15 minute speech? Jeez are the writers trying to kill the show by boring us to death? If the writing keeps going in the toilet, I hope HBO ends this soon. I think at the beginning it was better than the Soprano's.

I am a really big fan, but did I miss something? That had to be the one of the worst episodes ever! The only redeming part was Swearengen's ### whuppin. What was with Jane's 15 minute speech? Jeez are the writers trying to kill the show by boring us to death? If the writing keeps going in the toilet, I hope HBO ends this soon. I think at the beginning it was better than the Soprano's.
Are you kidding? It was a fantastic episode except for Jane's monologue. It's a shame that there are only two episodes left.

As he's watching Jewel hitch and drag her feet up the steps, Al shakes his head:

"Every step a ####### adventure."

:lmao:

Pretty good episode IMO. I kind of liked Hearst's new henchman (the one carrying the message to Al). It's too bad they had to get rid of him so quickly.

I don't know if it's just because it's nearing the end of the series, but Timothy Olyphant (Bullock) is getting worse. He overacts every single scene he is in now. He only speaks through clenched teeth. If a scene calls for him to be angry, he can't just seethe. he has to screw up his face like a 3 year old who is being scolded. There is no subtlety to his character anymore.

One character I have enjoyed, however, is Brian Cox (Jack Langrishe). The series is definitely ending soon, though, so I wonder how they are going to wrap up his part in it in such a short period of time.

I don't know if it's just because it's nearing the end of the series, but Timothy Olyphant (Bullock) is getting worse. He overacts every single scene he is in now. He only speaks through clenched teeth. If a scene calls for him to be angry, he can't just seethe. he has to screw up his face like a 3 year old who is being scolded. There is no subtlety to his character anymore.
I thought the last scene where he was clinching the table was pretty funny.

LOVED this weeks episode

so many good parts

the one that really sticks with me for some reason is richardson flinching when swerengen tells johnnie to stick his eye with a needle :lol:

I thought the last scene where he was clinching the table was pretty funny.
I actually think Bullock has been a little over-acted lately.It's like he gets so mad he becomes ######ed.

As he's watching Jewel hitch and drag her feet up the steps, Al shakes his head:"Every step a ####### adventure." :lmao:
Between that, and just prior upon listening to Jewel's menu for Mrs Ellsworth, he gets that Al look and says "Why the #### you tellin' me?" had me giggling for two hours. :lmao:

Jane is such a pathetic character she's nearly unwatchable beyond a few choice drunken lines.

Jane is such a pathetic character she's nearly unwatchable beyond a few choice drunken lines.
I like janethe only characters that bother me are the new theatre troupe and thats because they are taking time away from other characters. I dont understand where they are going with the theatre peeps. Why should we care?

Did Bullock have any dialogue this week? I know he was silent (and seething) during dinner with Sol. Did he say something when he rode back into town?

Did Bullock have any dialogue this week? I know he was silent (and seething) during dinner with Sol. Did he say something when he rode back into town?
He askd Charlie what was happening. That was about it. Timmy must have been sick or something this week during filming.. :confused:

Wow. I never realized that the guy who plays George Hearst was Gerald McRaney (Rick Simon on Simon & Simon and Major Dad). :bag:

Fiddles said:
mojorizin said:
I like janethe only characters that bother me are the new theatre troupe and thats because they are taking time away from other characters. I dont understand where they are going with the theatre peeps. Why should we care?
:goodposting: I hate the actors....I actually watched it this week via DVR and forwarded past the actors parts. I honestly don't give a rats ### what they are involved with. IMO, Bullock has been on the brink of a meltdown since the day Hearst challenged him while drunk. He and Ellsworth are at their wits end with the guy, sure it's over acting, but it's really along the lines of his short temper, short fuse.....now the woman he loves was shot at. He's losing it. :loco: One of the best episodes for Al. I love when Hearsts henchmen told Al he wasn't scared of him, then he was crying like a little ##### before Al did away with him......and Al egging Hearst on about his man goihg out the back was classic. Al was being such a ##########.....fantastic!

Great episode.

- I don't think Timothy Oliphant overacts. He is the sherrif, so he has to control his anger. If Sweringen wasn't able to act upon all his violent impuslses, he'd have clenched teeth, as well.

- Jane is a great character, so he monologue didn't bother me at all.

- While the actors aren't my favorite, they are essentially comic relief. Brian Cox, however, is acting his way into an Emmy. Brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread