What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone work for the IRS? Identity Theft (1 Viewer)

SHIZNITTTT

Footballguy
Well we did our taxes today and they were rejected, looks like someone used my wife's SS# already? We had some fraudulent credit cards issued in my wife's name earlier in the year, and I wonder if this same person used her SS# to file a tax return? Anyway, been on hold forever. Any tips?

***UPDATE*** We have been a victim of identity theft again. Someone used our SS#'s to file their taxes. Dumbassesssssssss since we always owe ####### money anyway. Oh well, USA!

Sorry guy. There is a process to go through like right now. Google it. IRS is useless. Even if you get through they won't help. Talk to your bank also. I assume you have notified the credit card companies etc. This is horrible.

Good luck.

Ugh. That sounds like it could be a huge mess. Heard this was starting to become a huge issue. People file fake returns in someone else's name and SS#, government doesn't even run a basic check on the info at all and just sends a refund check to an address where the crook picks it up and cashes it. It's unreal that the IRS doesn't even do a basic check of most returns to see if the info matches what the employers submitted.

That seems to be happening pretty often, now. I had one big-ticket client whose wife had a return filed under her name without her knowledge. And just within the past week I have heard of two other cases of this happening. So it seems to be gaining in popularity.

You should probably attach IRS Form 14039 to your return and file at the Andover Service Center rather than at the big processing center the instructions say to normally file.

Last edited by a moderator:
***UPDATE*** We have been a victim of identity theft again. Someone used our SS#'s to file their taxes. Dumbassesssssssss since we always owe ####### money anyway. Oh well, USA!
you realize they dont file your actual w2 figures, right?
basically I have your SS# I make up figures and file.

seems that the IRS needs more checks in place to make sure this doesn't or can't happen so easily.

Shameful.

I had this exact thing happen to me this year. E-file got rejected, had to file a identity theft form along with my printed taxes and mail it in. Double checked all the accounts and credit cards - nothing showing up there. I'm guessing someone filing a fake return to try and steal a refund.

I had this exact thing happen to me this year. E-file got rejected, had to file a identity theft form along with my printed taxes and mail it in. Double checked all the accounts and credit cards - nothing showing up there. I'm guessing someone filing a fake return to try and steal a refund.
Yeah, just a PITA! Did you owe? Did you get a refund? We owe so I paid the amount due to the IRS on my CC, and now that amount is just in a "pending" state. Had to call IRS on hold 2.5 hours. Had to call state on call 1 hour. Now I have to fill out a bunch of forms, get affidavits, a police report. What a crock!

What kills me is that this sort of thing takes smarts & work to accomplish. Qualities that would serve them well in a real job.

And if I file a fake return using my actual info I'm sure to get busted...seems like they would at least bounce basic info they already have against what is filed.

How does this work? My efile got rejected because I was off like one penny on a W-2 manual entry. How do they get the W-2 information/

Yeah, can I get the steps on how to do this errrrr how these horrible crooks perpetrate this crime?

How does this work? My efile got rejected because I was off like one penny on a W-2 manual entry. How do they get the W-2 information/
Hacked ADP/some other payroll processor?

If you really need the W2 and SSN that's probably the easiest way.

My guess though is they file on Jan 1 (or before W2 info gets properly processed) without any wages, etc.

My guess though is they file on Jan 1 (or before W2 info gets properly processed) without any wages, etc.
Could you pull this off without doing an efile? I mean just mail it in? I don't know if they check mailed in stuff nearly as hard as efile.

Could you pull this off without doing an efile? I mean just mail it in? I don't know if they check mailed in stuff nearly as hard as efile.
I'd assume so, it would just take a tad longer. They do check entries in hard copy form (I transposed 2 numbers from my W2 one time and they caught it, to my benefit no less), which is why my guess is they file before W2s get processed and just make up a return that gets something sent back to them in check form. With AML laws these days we're probably talking about less than 10K refund checks that they then take to their check casher. Anything more than that would automatically get flagged by a bank these days.

You do that enough though and it adds up.

Employers aren't required to file W2s until the end of March but the IRS starts accepting tax returns in February. They take advantage of the time in between by filing tax returns with fake wage/withholding information since there is about a 2 month period where the IRS has nothing to check the tax return against. The IRS will eventually catch it once the W2s get filed but by that time the refund has already been issued and deposited to the scammer's bank account which has been emptied and closed by that point.

Employers aren't required to file W2s until the end of March but the IRS starts accepting tax returns in February. They take advantage of the time in between by filing tax returns with fake wage/withholding information since there is about a 2 month period where the IRS has nothing to check the tax return against. The IRS will eventually catch it once the W2s get filed but by that time the refund has already been issued and deposited to the scammer's bank account which has been emptied and closed by that point.
Seems like a simple solution here. Don't send refund checks till W2s line up. :shrug:

So I guess I get a new "PIN" number to use for the rest of my life when filing with the IRS. seems that a simple check and balances would prevent most these incidents from occuring.

Seems like a simple solution here. Don't send refund checks till W2s line up. :shrug:
Seems simple enough but tell that to all the people filing their taxes in February who want their refund check ASAP. They aren't going to be very happy if they have to wait until late March to get their money.

So I guess I get a new "PIN" number to use for the rest of my life when filing with the IRS. seems that a simple check and balances would prevent most these incidents from occuring.
Isn't this already the case with e-filing? I have to use a pin or else enter my last year's taxable wages from last year's tax return to file.

Or is that just something my tax preparer does on their own for security?

This is actualy a huge problem with prisoners. Obviously they never file while in custody. They get out make a few bucks and file and turns out they have had refunds for ten years..... Big problem actualy.

Someone used my daughter's SS# 3 years, and it took almost 1 year to get my refund. I spent hours on the phone, getting a PIN, filing paper forms, etc. Now, i get a PIN every year from the IRS.

Happened to me as well and I now get the PIN. Much of this process was amazing but my favorite part was, after the IRS had determined that someone else had filed fraudulent taxes in my name and after the IRS had properly processed my tax form and issued my refund, they determined that the fake me had taken an improper earned income tax credit and sought $1000 back from the fake me because of an incorrect credit taken on a wholly fraudulent tax form.

This is actualy a huge problem with prisoners. Obviously they never file while in custody. They get out make a few bucks and file and turns out they have had refunds for ten years..... Big problem actualy.
Fairly sure you can't claim a refund three plus years stale.

as a general reminder for everyone, now is the time to freeze your credit files. the inconvenience now and having that unlocking PIN is worth it later.

Seems as if creditors, the IRS, and anyone else who uses your SS# are stuck in the 1950's. And, the bad guys are using 21st century tactics to circumvent the very basic security measures. Good guys are several steps behind the technology used by the bad guys.

Seems as if creditors, the IRS, and anyone else who uses your SS# are stuck in the 1950's. And, the bad guys are using 21st century tactics to circumvent the very basic security measures. Good guys are several steps behind the technology used by the bad guys.
Creditors just build in the fraud and charge people X% more in terms of terminal fees or interest charges. IRS just gets more money from us eventually, so they just don't have a real worry about stopping things until that % starts becoming big enough to affect them. Do people really notice that they pay 20% interest on credit cards instead of 19%?

Greg Russell said:
SHIZNITTTT said:
Isn't this already the case with e-filing? I have to use a pin or else enter my last year's taxable wages from last year's tax return to file.

Or is that just something my tax preparer does on their own for security?
That's an IRS requirement. I assume the fraud is perpetrated by filing on paper.

So today I get a letter from the IRS yes July 24th that I owe penalties for filing a late tax return.

:lol: How in the world does this portion of our government get anything right?

So, I called them and told them again that my identity was stolen blah blah blah and had to file a paper return with all the police reports, blah blah blah, and they are going to review my case and see if they are able to waive the late fees.

Review? It was you that ####ed up my return by accepting a false return. WTF! Will the nightmare ever end?

The root of the problem is he use of SS# as a global identifier to begin with. When the SS system was created, the government was only able to implement the system by making it outright illegal for anyone else to use your SS# as an identifier. Obviously that fell away fairly quickly and has lead to all sorts of problems.

The root of the problem is he use of SS# as a global identifier to begin with. When the SS system was created, the government was only able to implement the system by making it outright illegal for anyone else to use your SS# as an identifier. Obviously that fell away fairly quickly and has lead to all sorts of problems.
Yes using 19th century technology in the 21st century is probably not going to end well for anyone using the IRS.

Happened to me this year. I had filed about 20k in estimated tax. Filed my taxes via paper after we found out with a letter of explanation. Got 2 requests to verify different information, which I did. However, a little over a month ago, I get a letter from the IRS saying they are sending me a refund of 26k. I then spend 2 hrs on the phone telling them no, they processed the wrong claim, even after I verified the one to use. So now I'm waiting to hear the next mistake to be made. The end result of my call was we will submit it to review again. :wall: I ask if I can make sure to send me a PIN for 2015 taxes, and the lady tells me no, just wait and see and call later. Stupid government workers.

I firmly believe anyone that gets screwed over by the aliens using their SSN should receive all of their withholding taxes as compensation for the lost time and stress.

Well this sucks.  It happened again this year.  We were told by the IRS that we would have a special PIN number to use so that this couldn't happen again.  Well it did happen again, and we are having to jump through all the same hoops again. We bent over backwards to make sure that this didn't happen again this tax season.  Filled out all necessary paper work, got a PIN number, and still got hacked in the end.  Shameful that this can continue to happen and shame on the IRS that is using technology that is so outdated people are having their SS#'s stolen by the millions.  

So it was explained to me by someone working for the IRS (was on hold for over and hour) that returns are processed as soon as they get them in, and it isn't till later that they are reviewed for errors. The IRS workers are just so burnt out, and so unprofessional.  One IRS lady was smacking gum while I was talking to her on the phone. 

So, if I can get someone's SS# file a bogus return and get the money months before anyone is wise.  Or, unil the real person uses their SS# to file legally.  

Time to do away with the IRS and reinvent a new program.  

It took about 6 months to resolve mine last year.  Got the PIN assigned (which of course said for the 2014 year instead of 2015 when sent out), then the IRS had ANOTHER major information breach which necessitated that many returns have to file paper returns.  On the plus side, the doosh bag that tried to file under my name last year had paid over $2500 in taxes on my SSN and instead of him getting it all back, the IRS sent a check to me and said I had overpaid.  Nice, thanks for the oversight, Uncle Sam.  Almost makes it worthwhile.

Crossing my fingers it does not happen again this year.

Sucks, man.  Sorry to hear that.  I have also heard this is becoming more and more of a problem.

Shamless plug, but this is reason #20389092 to support the FairTax.  FairTax

Someone nitwit in our HR department sent copies of every W2 in the company (like 20k+) to some email phisherman. Luckily I've already filed but I'm sure a bunch of my procrastinating coworkers will be hit with this scam. What a nightmare.
Wow.

My wife had her identity stolen what appears to be just a few days ago. Funny thing is, I froze both of our credit in September at all 4 credit bureaus. The freeze works, because we keep getting letters in the mail from Kohls, Best Buy and Home Depot saying denied because of the credit freeze. Awesome right? Not so fast.

Since this #### has her SSN and our address, she put together a fake MN drivers license and some stupid bank let her open an account (looking at you, PNC). We know this because we got a letter from PNC congratulating us on our new account. We opened a fraud case open with that bank yesterday.

Today, we get a certified letter from AVIS saying my wife failed to return a Vehicle...in Georgia. Using said PNC card. I talked to them today and they are investigating on their end. The girl I talked to in the security department says she personally gets about three of these A DAY! And there are many people in her department. So, some #### is fooling around Georgia in a stolen yellow Mustang convertible using my wife’s name.

?

Last edited by a moderator:
New York & Co $910 today. The cashier calls my wife minutes after this person walks out with nearly a grand of clothes saying she forgot her “reward dollars”.

My wife is in the horn with their fraud department now.

Users who are viewing this thread