What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

You NEED a DRONE, Dude > $50 with HD cam? Unpossible! (1 Viewer)

Would like to get one for my son. I see a lot around $50 with a camera. What am I looking for here?

A lot of these things say the flight time is in the 5 to 8 minute range. That doesn't seem very long. I'm concerned he'd get bored with only being able to fly it for short times.

A lot of these things say the flight time is in the 5 to 8 minute range. That doesn't seem very long. I'm concerned he'd get bored with only being able to fly it for short times.
I got a charger and a 4pk of batteries off amazon ($15 total) and by the time you've flown thru all 5 batteries, the first one is charged again.

Though the cheap electric motors in these things may not have a 100% duty cycle, so breaks are probably wise.

Looks cool, but 7 minute flight time and 100 minute charge time? Is that the norm?
Yes. Have you read this page regarding the work-around for that?

$15-20 for 4 extra batteries and a charger that will charge 4 at a time means you're looking at next to zero downtime.... though you'll likely fry the thing if you try to run it nonstop for hours on end.

If you're looking for industrial quality quad... you' MAY need to shoot the lock off the wallet and pony up more than $60.

[icon] said:
Warsteinner said:
Looks cool, but 7 minute flight time and 100 minute charge time? Is that the norm?

$15-20 for 4 extra batteries and a charger that will charge 4 at a time means you're looking at next to zero downtime.... though you'll likely fry the thing if you try to run it nonstop for hours on end.

If you're looking for industrial quality quad... you' MAY need to shoot the lock off the wallet and pony up more than $60.
Link to which batteries you got?

My wife just gave me a cheap one from Walmart that she got on cyber monday. Was just coming in to see how long others run for and it was answered in the last few posts. Unfortunately for me, no removable battery.

Icon, do the expensive ones have longer lasting batteries? I would imagine yes if Amazon is toying with the idea of using them for delivery

I don't recall specific ones but there are many similar on amazon like this.

My wife just gave me a cheap one from Walmart that she got on cyber monday. Was just coming in to see how long others run for and it was answered in the last few posts. Unfortunately for me, no removable battery.

Icon, do the expensive ones have longer lasting batteries? I would imagine yes if Amazon is toying with the idea of using them for delivery
I'm not certain, but I think the phantoms have a bit more life (15-20min range).

Amazon would be using commercial drones designed to lift packages weighing several pounds. These little cheapo ones can only lift a couple ounces and the phantoms maybe half a pound, maybe. More weight = less battery life as the motors work harder to maintain altitude.

If you have delusions of carrying stuff around with these, prob should cut those off for a while. The 8-12 min battery life sounds very constricting but it's really not bad... especially with the multiple batteries. Charge em up and roll out with 4 extras in your pocket and you're flying for around an hour. By then you should probably give the motors a break anyway.

I don't recall specific ones but there are many similar on amazon like this.

I'm not certain, but I think the phantoms have a bit more life (15-20min range).

Amazon would be using commercial drones designed to lift packages weighing several pounds. These little cheapo ones can only lift a couple ounces and the phantoms maybe half a pound, maybe. More weight = less battery life as the motors work harder to maintain altitude.

If you have delusions of carrying stuff around with these, prob should cut those off for a while. The 8-12 min battery life sounds very constricting but it's really not bad... especially with the multiple batteries. Charge em up and roll out with 4 extras in your pocket and you're flying for around an hour. By then you should probably give the motors a break anyway.
That's correct. I get about 20-25 minutes on my phantom.

Picked up two of the X5C's for Christmas. Loads of fun, and pretty durable. Haven't tried the camera yet, but the flight time is longer than the 7 minutes that they say it should be (we've been getting 12-15). Really cool toy.

Ok, finally broke down and ordered the $50 Syma from Amazon.

The DJI Phantom 3 Professional with the 4k camera looks amazing.
There is not doubt the high end models are ridiculous... just more money thank I'd be willing to tie up in something like this. The price point of the Symas is really easy to justify and the performance is decent enough.

There is not doubt the high end models are ridiculous... just more money thank I'd be willing to tie up in something like this. The price point of the Symas is really easy to justify and the performance is decent enough.
This is true. Ironically, the more advanced drones like the Phantom are actually far easier to fly than the Syma primarily due to the GPS and other integrated flight controls.

Ive got one on the way too. I may move up to a FPV model if I enjoy this one....looked at that Phantom 3 last week online, its pretty sweet...curious to see how the price comes down over the next 6-12 months.

Got the X5C for Christmas and it was warm enough on Christmas Day to take it out for some preliminary test flights. This thing is a blast.

Thinking I will definitely upgrade the camera to the 808 keychain camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
WhatDoIKnow said:
[icon] said:
WhatDoIKnow said:

Depends on how serious you are about the video aspect. No comparison between the two in capabilities. Nothing wrong with something like the Syma to fly around for fun though.
Oh hell yeah. You looking to shoot video to actually USE for stuff? These symas are worthless. You just looking to **** around in your local park and see what your neighborhood looks like from 100ft? They're a good time. :lol:

For comparison, here are two unedited videos - one from a Syma xc5 and one from my Phantom. My 13 yo is flying the Syma filming his brother flying a x9 (or trying to). Note, the syma will fly much higher than shown, but no where near what the Phantom can do.

The syma lacks a gimbal on the camera and that makes for most of the difference. Fly erratically with a Phantom and it won't show much variation in the video as it's stabilized.

SYMA - https://youtu.be/XIa4YpeL9KE

Phantom - https://youtu.be/E_AaKbbSPRo

Confirmed this thing is a blast. Crashed it a bunch and so far no damage. Took it too high a couple times and got out of range and into the wind, but thankfully it narrowly missed landing in a neighbors huge tree...the arial footage is pretty nice for the price. Its really fun messing with the neighborhood cats.

I am definitely gonna get a Phantom soon, possibly this spring.

Confirmed this thing is a blast. Crashed it a bunch and so far no damage. Took it too high a couple times and got out of range and into the wind, but thankfully it narrowly missed landing in a neighbors huge tree...the arial footage is pretty nice for the price. Its really fun messing with the neighborhood cats.

I am definitely gonna get a Phantom soon, possibly this spring.
Awesome! You can sometimes find some good deals here if you are interested in buying used, often times upgraded units.

http://www.phantompilots.com/forums/classifieds.9/

I ended up putting my daughter's drone in the top of a tree. We had to knock it down with a football. It survived several direct hits with no damage, and still flies just fine. :thumbup:

I ended up putting my daughter's drone in the top of a tree. We had to knock it down with a football. It survived several direct hits with no damage, and still flies just fine. :thumbup:
I did the same with one of mine a long time ago. We opted to use a buddy's .22cal dog trainer launcher (he used to train duck dogs for wildrose kennels). It's a hard rubber ball (think a giant hard rubber Kong) that launches by way of a .22 cal rifle round being triggered. The video doesn't do it justice.. it's heavy, and it's moving quick. I would NOT want to take a direct hit with it.

It required two direct hits to the drone to knock it rom the branch, then a 30-40ft fall to the ground. No damage :lol:

Anyone else in here do any fixed wing rc? I'm starting to get into it after an initial foray a few years ago. :nerd:

Been lurking for quite sometime in regards to buying a Drone.  I'm currently reviewing the $500 ones and was pretty much set on getting the Phantom 3 Standard...

But the bundle deal at Best Buy for the Parrot Bebop 2 is tempting.

Downside I see on the Bebop is that the camera is "fixed" to the nose so straight down shots could be tough... As well as the fact there is no SD card slot so you are "stuck" with the 8GB built in storage.

Our family is heading down to South Padre Island this Winter and after showing my wife some videos from drones down there she is 90% on board with me buying one so we have it for the trip :excited:

I also want to use it on the Canada fishing trips I go on.
There is one portage where we have to follow a Drunk beaver creek to get to a lake that would be fun to see from above. As well as other fly overs of the fishing areas and cabin.

Anyone own either one and can give some advice?

Been lurking for quite sometime in regards to buying a Drone.  I'm currently reviewing the $500 ones and was pretty much set on getting the Phantom 3 Standard...

But the bundle deal at Best Buy for the Parrot Bebop 2 is tempting.

Downside I see on the Bebop is that the camera is "fixed" to the nose so straight down shots could be tough... As well as the fact there is no SD card slot so you are "stuck" with the 8GB built in storage.

Our family is heading down to South Padre Island this Winter and after showing my wife some videos from drones down there she is 90% on board with me buying one so we have it for the trip :excited:

I also want to use it on the Canada fishing trips I go on.
There is one portage where we have to follow a Drunk beaver creek to get to a lake that would be fun to see from above. As well as other fly overs of the fishing areas and cabin.

Anyone own either one and can give some advice?
I bought a Phantom 3 Standard about a month ago. It's really easy to fly and the shots look outstanding.

I don't know anything about the Bebop, but if you can't tilt the camera down that would be a MAJOR deal-breaker for me. The ability to move the camera up and down is what allows you to get professional looking cinematic shots.

I bought a Phantom 3 Standard about a month ago. It's really easy to fly and the shots look outstanding.

I don't know anything about the Bebop, but if you can't tilt the camera down that would be a MAJOR deal-breaker for me. The ability to move the camera up and down is what allows you to get professional looking cinematic shots.
Just starting to consider.....on the camera the quality is good enough to look good on a website for company or real estate listings?

Just starting to consider.....on the camera the quality is good enough to look good on a website for company or real estate listings?
Yes, I'd say so. It's not the best you can get, but it's very good and I think it would work fine for that. I do a fair amount of video editing and have been considering starting to offer my services for projects like that. Keep in mind it will change your status from a recreational user to business/commercial pilot, so depending on how legal you want to be that will potentially lead to some extra work.

I have a GoPro 4 silver and the camera on the drone is pretty comparable from I can tell so far. But once you learn how to get the cool panning shots, and there are some really great YouTube videos that walk you through different shots (here's one called 55 cinematic drone shots), it's really pretty amazing. You can see from that video how important being able to control the camera's pitch, which is something that is very easy to do with the Phantom.

Watching a few videos of the Bebop you basically have to angle it down to get shots directly below it. If you are doing a "moving" video than it will work. But I really am looking for the Look down/pan and then move features. As you said, the 3 with the Gimbal camera has that feature so I'm now 99.999% sure the Phantom 3 is the way I'll be going. :thanks:

Yes, I'd say so. It's not the best you can get, but it's very good and I think it would work fine for that. I do a fair amount of video editing and have been considering starting to offer my services for projects like that. Keep in mind it will change your status from a recreational user to business/commercial pilot, so depending on how legal you want to be that will potentially lead to some extra work.

I have a GoPro 4 silver and the camera on the drone is pretty comparable from I can tell so far. But once you learn how to get the cool panning shots, and there are some really great YouTube videos that walk you through different shots (here's one called 55 cinematic drone shots), it's really pretty amazing. You can see from that video how important being able to control the camera's pitch, which is something that is very easy to do with the Phantom.
Great video :thumbup:  

This is a great video.. thanks!

My buddy has a drone. He does the flying and I do the video editing. We mainly use it when surf-fishing where it serves multiple purposes. First, he cruises it up and down the coastline at low tide and see where all the breaks in the sandbar are and that's how we pick the spots that we are going to fish. He also rigged it up to fly out our baits, though he doesn't like doing this when its windy. I've never even flown it, but I know getting the glasses was a game-changer for him. Said it was much easier to see and maneuver.

We're also planning to take it down to the river to shoot some video in our jet boats. Ive been waiting all summer for the right conditions (clear and low-water), but we havent had it yet. The ramp we put in at is very close to two airports. We assumed there was no way he would be allowed to fly it, but he called the airport and they said all we need to do is call ahead of time and let him know exactly when we are starting and exactly when we are stopping, and he will give us the OK. He even said he will notify the other airport, so we dont have to. Crazy, I never expected that. The first question they asked was if he was recreational or commercial. As soon as he said recreational, he said "no problem".

His drone shoots 4k video. The quality is insane, but man does it choke my Mac (I use iMovie to edit). Its a good 5 years old, and it can barely handle it. 

We're also planning to take it down to the river to shoot some video in our jet boats. Ive been waiting all summer for the right conditions (clear and low-water), but we havent had it yet. The ramp we put in at is very close to two airports. We assumed there was no way he would be allowed to fly it, but he called the airport and they said all we need to do is call ahead of time and let him know exactly when we are starting and exactly when we are stopping, and he will give us the OK. He even said he will notify the other airport, so we dont have to. Crazy, I never expected that. The first question they asked was if he was recreational or commercial. As soon as he said recreational, he said "no problem".

His drone shoots 4k video. The quality is insane, but man does it choke my Mac (I use iMovie to edit). Its a good 5 years old, and it can barely handle it. 
Those shots sound awesome.

I definitely recommend checking out knowbeforeyoufly.com. Drone pilots get a bad rap because so many people think they can just buy one and fly it right out of the box. It's important to first learn exactly how to fly it, but also to know the rules. If you're 5 miles from an airport or hospital with a helipad you're going to need to notify them when you fly. You have to stay within line of site, fly under 400 ft, and not fly directly over people. Not hard stuff, but it's crazy how stupid people can be with their drones.

Users who are viewing this thread