What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deciding to put down a pet - advice/thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Fat Nick

Footballguy
I have a pet that is starting to go through the early stages of liver failure. I'm really struggling with the thought of having to put her down in the near future. I guess I struggle mainly because I'm agnositc in my beliefs. I am terrified of death as I just feel like it's "the end," and there's nothing after, good or bad. Because of this, I personally want to live as long as I can, no matter what. (I may change my tune if I ever get some horrible ailment, but this is where I stand right now). Because of this, I struggle with making a voluntary choice to end my pet's life earlier than liver failure might.

I don't want her to suffer...but how do I judge when she's at a point where she'd rather be dead when I can't grasp that thought myself? I struggle because I feel like having her put down is ME making the decision to kill her. I feel like I'd rather her die at home, where she's been happy...rather than being the one to traumatically take her to the vet and have her put down in a place where she's scared.

Can some of you share your thoughts? I'm really at a loss. I've had her for 15 years. She's been with me through some tough times. She's very much MY pet. She's hated everyone I've ever dated, and only recently started tolerating my wife, but she loves me and has always been around. It's really hard imagining life without her. I just want to do right and make her happy in her last weeks...

I have a lab who is 14 and the end is near. It is all about quality of life and pain. If they are in pain you have to do the right thing. You can gets vets to come to your home where I live to euthanize you pets.

It not going to be easy but if you love her don't let her suffer. Mine is happy and spunky but she has had two ACL surgery and her knees are really bad. She just started falling for no reason like once a day. She bounces right back up but when she doesn't I know I will have to put her down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a lab who is 14 and the end is near. It is all about quality of life and pain. If they are in pain you have to do the right thing. You can gets vets to come to your home where I live to euthanize you pets.

It not going to be easy but if you love her don't let her suffer. Mine is happy and spunky but she has had two ACL surgery and her knees are really bad. She just started falling for no reason like once a day. She bounces right back up but when she doesn't I know I will have to put her down.
So I had to type my topic 2x, because the first time my browser crashed...I'm trying hard enough not to cry at work typing about it...the 1st time was longer, and I noted that I had gone through this with a dog, also a lab, about 8 years ago. She also had liver failure, but she went very very quickly. I never had to make the decision. I don't know if that was good or bad, because by the time she was about to go, she couldn't/wouldn't move.

I don't envy you...your dog is mentally sharp, but physically just unable to walk. My pet, and yes, it's a cat in this case, will eventually get so sick that she can't take care of herself at all. She's already going to the bathroom everywhere and throwing up. It's just so difficult to draw the line and say "enough is enough," because I just don't want to do it. I guess I will at some point?

I need to ask our vet re. having her euthanized at home. That would make me feel a lot better.

I have a pet that is starting to go through the early stages of liver failure. I'm really struggling with the thought of having to put her down in the near future. I guess I struggle mainly because I'm agnositc in my beliefs. I am terrified of death as I just feel like it's "the end," and there's nothing after, good or bad. Because of this, I personally want to live as long as I can, no matter what. (I may change my tune if I ever get some horrible ailment, but this is where I stand right now). Because of this, I struggle with making a voluntary choice to end my pet's life earlier than liver failure might.

I don't want her to suffer...but how do I judge when she's at a point where she'd rather be dead when I can't grasp that thought myself? I struggle because I feel like having her put down is ME making the decision to kill her. I feel like I'd rather her die at home, where she's been happy...rather than being the one to traumatically take her to the vet and have her put down in a place where she's scared.

Can some of you share your thoughts? I'm really at a loss. I've had her for 15 years. She's been with me through some tough times. She's very much MY pet. She's hated everyone I've ever dated, and only recently started tolerating my wife, but she loves me and has always been around. It's really hard imagining life without her. I just want to do right and make her happy in her last weeks...
I'm with you on not having any clue on how to make this decision. As a society we still don't let people put themselves down, let alone have others make that determination. And I like my pets a heck of a lot more than I like most other people. It doesn't seem proper to make that decision for something else. I've never had to make this decision, all my childhood pets died while I was away, but my wife brought a cat into the marriage and she's 18 now (cat, not the wife) and the end is growing close. Whole thing sucks. My condolences.

Been in the situation once, obviously terrible and not much can be done. 8 year old lab, aggressive cancer. We spent a fortune treating him for like 2 weeks and it looked like he was getting better, then he just turned for the worse... Within days he could hardly walk.

Nothing more you can do dude, it is unfortunately out of your hands in terms of their health... You just have to make a judgement call on when your pet is really suffering and pull the trigger.

In the last decade one of the very few times I can remember actually crying, not like tears but really crying. This was a little under 4 years ago for me and at least at this point I can look back and remember all of the happiness he brought to us.

Situation sucks, sorry man.

My dog probably has less than a year left and he's like my kid. He has cancer but he eats, doesn't seem to be in pain, and is generally happy I think. He is sad because he can't move or be active like he used to be, but he has his moments where he still gets fired up.

If he was relieving himself everywhere, if I knew he was suffering, or if he no longer was eating I think I'd put him down. To me an owner knows when that time is, and I don't think anyone should put it off because they feel guilt. Do what is best for the animal.

Dogs and cats who are terminally ill can often live a lot longer than you think they will. This leads them to suffer more, and longer, than necessary.

When the end is inevitable, you have to ask yourself this: am I trying to keep this animal alive as long as possible for his sake . . . or my own?

As heart wrenching as it is, ending your precious pet's suffering is the right thing to do.

Which doesn't make it any easier to cope with.

You will ball your eyes out when you see him pass. But you will be there with him, and he'll know you care, and it will be OK.

My condolences.

So I had to type my topic 2x, because the first time my browser crashed...I'm trying hard enough not to cry at work typing about it...the 1st time was longer, and I noted that I had gone through this with a dog, also a lab, about 8 years ago. She also had liver failure, but she went very very quickly. I never had to make the decision. I don't know if that was good or bad, because by the time she was about to go, she couldn't/wouldn't move.

I don't envy you...your dog is mentally sharp, but physically just unable to walk. My pet, and yes, it's a cat in this case, will eventually get so sick that she can't take care of herself at all. She's already going to the bathroom everywhere and throwing up. It's just so difficult to draw the line and say "enough is enough," because I just don't want to do it. I guess I will at some point?

I need to ask our vet re. having her euthanized at home. That would make me feel a lot better.
If I were you my cues would be if she seems like she is suffering, loss of appetite and if she stop enjoying or getting excited at things she normally does. Say she always get excited when you come home and that stops because she doesn't have the energy, that would be a big sign to me.

In the last decade one of the very few times I can remember actually crying, not like tears but really crying. This was a little under 4 years ago for me and at least at this point I can look back and remember all of the happiness he brought to us.

Ditto on the crying Can't think of many times I've cried, but I know I cried when my Lab died a while back, and I cried a week ago when it kind of hit me that this wasn't just her being "sick" and something that will go away...I have little "moments" when I think about it now. I just wasn't ready for it. It doesn't help that I've got a 10-month old son who LOVES her. We have a dog too...but he gets so excited when he sees the cat. I know he won't even remember these times, but I guess I just envisioned him actually having memories of her. :cry:

When the end is inevitable, you have to ask yourself this: am I trying to keep this animal alive as long as possible for his sake . . . or my own?
:thumbup: This strikes a chord. I guess I have to get to a point where I know the answer...I know it'll be for my sake for longer than for hers...I just don't know when the right time for her is...I guess time will tell.

If I were you my cues would be if she seems like she is suffering, loss of appetite and if she stop enjoying or getting excited at things she normally does. Say she always get excited when you come home and that stops because she doesn't have the energy, that would be a big sign to me.
This is good. She still gets excited for food. LOVES milk. If you open the milk, she comes. Even now. But she can't keep food down and what she does keep down seems to pass though her quickly...She's very skinny..used to weigh 9 pounds, now weighs 5.5 lbs. But she moves around a good bit. I'm thinking now that there will probably be signs that she's not her "normal" self (even this adjusted normal) when she stops caring about food at all, and stops coming around to sit near me.

Just do it, here is why:

1- At 15 with liver failure chances are she's in pain and miserable anyway.

2- You are going to feel even worse if you wait until she can't/won't move and is peeing blood.

3- What Jack White said.

4- You get to go get a new puppy.

:thumbup: This strikes a chord. I guess I have to get to a point where I know the answer...I know it'll be for my sake for longer than for hers...I just don't know when the right time for her is...I guess time will tell.
It's an incredibly difficult decision to make. One sure sign is when he stops eating.

Just do it, here is why:

1- At 15 with liver failure chances are she's in pain and miserable anyway.

2- You are going to feel even worse if you wait until she can't/won't move and is peeing blood.

3- What Jack White said.

4- You get to go get a new puppy.
It's a cat I am guessing.

Sorry to hear. We had to put our cat to sleep last year who was barely a year old. He had a disease that is somehow worse than cancer. He was doing okay with it for a while, as we were giving him medication, but his appetite started to go and he got even more lethargic. Then one day he a terribly violent seizure right in front of us, as I was trying to comfort him both during and after, I could tell how scared he was. About a half hour later he seemed to be okay, but my wife and I were thinking of that happening again when we weren't home and wouldn't be there for him, and knew it was time.

Your situation seems harder and understandable given that your dog is in the early stages of having the issues. No one can make the choice for you and we were "lucky" that his situation was one in where we knew he was in pain so we felt really comfortable with our decision. It helped that we had a great vet who listened to our reasoning for the decision (this was a walk in type place so we didn't have a prior relationship) and thought that we were doing the right thing.

The only advice I can offer that may help is to pay attention to his behavior and see when he stops acting like himself...from your post it doesn't seem like that's happening yet, but maybe I'm misreading it. If he's not laying on his usual spots, he's hiding, or doesn't want to get touched or picked up, those are all good signs that the decision would be a reasonable one.

Sorry again and best of luck to you and your pup.

edit: I could have sworn I read that this was a dog in the OP, but might have just gotten confused between the Fats. Either way, same applies for any pet.

Not fun.

Got my Jack Russell when I got divorced. She was in a shelter for 8 months, went through 3 different owners and was abused heavily by the first (to this day she still runs away with her tail down when you hold anything above her head).

She's moved with me all over the US. Definitely man's best friend. I also work from home so she's with me all day, every day unless I'm traveling.

We walk 5 miles a day together. When I'm away, my dog walker is a marathon runner and he jogs 3 miles with her and she's still faster than any dog I've ever seen in person at the end of every day

She's only 7, and Jack's can live a long time (18, 19 years old in some cases). She barks all the time at everything and hates all people and animals except for me. I still think the worst every time she gets sick. It's a tough feeling to get out of your head that's she's not going to be around forever.

I think the best way to gain back perspective is to remember that you gave the animal the best life possible. A better life than they would have had were she owned by anyone else except for you. And since there's only one life to live, you can gain a lot of comfort in the fact that you gave your pet the best life she could have possibly had.

I don't think I'll ever own another dog after her. She rules.

Sucks to be in your shoes, but I'm sure I'll be in them soon with both of my border collies (11 and 14). They are like family - hell, they are my family. My condolences.

I had to put down a cat of mine and it was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. She had liver failure, too, and was not good. As much as I didn't want to do it, I knew that she was suffering.

Just 2 weeks ago, my fiance's parents had to put down their dog. He was old, blind and having some stomach issues. 50% of the time he seemed like he was fine, but the other 50% he was in terrible pain. It was the right decision, but they felt terrible.

The key is, you just don't want your pet to suffer. Putting them down may seem cruel, but having them live and suffer is even worse.

Someone once told me that as painful it is to lose a pet, all of the joy they brought you and your family is worth the pain you go through when you lose them.

Good luck, GB. I know these times can be really tough. :(

Ditto on the crying Can't think of many times I've cried, but I know I cried when my Lab died a while back, and I cried a week ago when it kind of hit me that this wasn't just her being "sick" and something that will go away...I have little "moments" when I think about it now. I just wasn't ready for it. It doesn't help that I've got a 10-month old son who LOVES her. We have a dog too...but he gets so excited when he sees the cat. I know he won't even remember these times, but I guess I just envisioned him actually having memories of her. :cry:
I was out of town for my cousin's wedding and our puppy was at a kennel. When my plane landed back in atl, I had a bunch of voicemails from the kennel and from an emergency vet. Long story short, his blood pressure plummeted and he died. Cause unknown. I was all excited to pick him up from the kennel and hang out with him again, and instead I had to go to the animal clinic and collect his corpse. I sobbed like a little ##### for days.

I had to put down a cat of mine and it was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. She had liver failure, too, and was not good. As much as I didn't want to do it, I knew that she was suffering.

Just 2 weeks ago, my fiance's parents had to put down their dog. He was old, blind and having some stomach issues. 50% of the time he seemed like he was fine, but the other 50% he was in terrible pain. It was the right decision, but they felt terrible.

The key is, you just don't want your pet to suffer. Putting them down may seem cruel, but having them live and suffer is even worse.

Someone once told me that as painful it is to lose a pet, all of the joy they brought you and your family is worth the pain you go through when you lose them.

How long did you know about the liver failure before you reached "that point," where you knew it was time?

The bolded part is definitely true. It sucks...really really bad...but I wouldn't do anything differently.

I was out of town for my cousin's wedding and our puppy was at a kennel. When my plane landed back in atl, I had a bunch of voicemails from the kennel and from an emergency vet. Long story short, his blood pressure plummeted and he died. Cause unknown. I was all excited to pick him up from the kennel and hang out with him again, and instead I had to go to the animal clinic and collect his corpse. I sobbed like a little ##### for days.
Jesus, sorry man that is rough.

As long as there is any quality of life, any. I wouldn't put my pet down unless she's in constant pain all the time.

GL gbFN.

We are awaiting imminent diagnosis (any minute) about a tumor taken out of our cat's mouth last weekend... so I'm right there with you.

You'll make the right choice- 15 years a great run for either a dog or a cat.

How long did you know about the liver failure before you reached "that point," where you knew it was time?

The bolded part is definitely true. It sucks...really really bad...but I wouldn't do anything differently.
I probably let her go too long. She started getting sick and I could tell she was no longer her old self. Very lethargic and no longer eating as much. I went about 2 weeks going back and forth to the vet a couple of times trying different things. Finally, the vet said something like they could try a couple of more things but there was no guarantee they would work and it would cost a lot of money. It tore me up inside because I felt like I was choosing the cheaper way to go. But in reality, no matter how much money I would have spent, I don't think she would have recovered.

:cry: Awful story. I couldn't imagine. Reminds me of a funny one with my cat.

FWIW, it is a cat, and it's a "she," named "Moose." Go figure, right. A female cat named Moose...long story. Anyway, she was pretty young. I took her to the vet to have her spayed. Remember earlier when I said she didn't do well with other people? Well, I dropped her off at the vet one AM, and went to work. The vet called me at like 10:00 AM. The tech who called said, "We had a problem with Moose." I nearly fell out of my chair, expecting them to say something about her being dead, some complication, etc. Then this exchange happens:

Vet Tech: We couldn't do the procedure.

Me: [recovering my wits] Um....What does that mean? Why not?

Vet Tech: She wouldn't let us.

Me: She's a little kitten...? Just put her under. Surely you do this every day.

Vet Tech: She went crazy and we couldn't even get the anesthesia going. You're going to have to come get her and we'll reschedule.

That was when I realized Moose had some spunk. I went to get her, and the tech wouldn't even go near the cage they had her in. I opened it, and she popped her head out and I picked her up and she was happy. The Tech said with an attitude, "She wasn't like that earlier."

I ended up rescheduling for the next week, and the vet had me actually go back into the OR and hold her while they gave her anesthesia. She was fine then. She really hated everyone else...always has.

I probably let her go too long. She started getting sick and I could tell she was no longer her old self. Very lethargic and no longer eating as much. I went about 2 weeks going back and forth to the vet a couple of times trying different things. Finally, the vet said something like they could try a couple of more things but there was no guarantee they would work and it would cost a lot of money. It tore me up inside because I felt like I was choosing the cheaper way to go. But in reality, no matter how much money I would have spent, I don't think she would have recovered.
Same thing is happening with Moose. She's still excited to eat, but can't keep it down for long. Very lethargic, but still purrs when you pet her or when she's just chilling, but she's not running around and wrestling with the dog or anything.

I had the exact same conversation with my vet on Friday. He said that basically she was just an old cat, and that they could run all sorts of tests and see if there was more to it, but that even if there was, he wouldn't recommend surgery or anything in her case. I came to grips with the fact that she's not going to get "better," now it's just getting to the point where I'm OK letting her go.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Reading your post struck a heartstring with me, as I had to go through this exact same thing a week ago. I know a lot of people post when they have to put down their dogs, but I literally just couldn't. I tried twice but couldn't keep typing it was too much.

I got my dog when I went off to college. Was my first "adult" decision. She was a 4 month old rottweiler/lab/mutt I got from the shelter after someone dropped off a box full of puppies. When I first saw her, she cam running up to me and I was hooked. We went everywhere together. Camping/hiking, she loved to swim. Would jump into the river, jump off the small falls with me. One of the best fetchers, and could catch anything. Some of the most fun I had was just going into a field and throwing frisbees for what seemed like hours. Our favorite past time was going into the open space across from my house and hitting golf balls. She'd chase them down until she'd collapse, tongue out sweating, with the biggest smile on her face. Makes me smile just thinking about it.

Fast forward 11 years. I have two kids and a wife now. My dog absolutely adored my kids, maybe a bit too much. She'd get nervous when people would come over to pick them up. If my 5 month old was laying down, and someone walked towards him, she'd jump up and start walking over to make sure they weren't going to hurt him. My 2 and a half year old and her became attached. She'd follow him around everywhere.

About two weeks ago her behavior started to change. She started becoming more irritable. She never once growled, or even seemed to mind when my boys would crawl all over her. One night she was laying at my feet, her usual spot, and my 2 and a half year old came charging in and jumped on her, this happened often and she never cared. But she jumped up and growled and even snapped a bit. Completely out of character. Then she looked at me and her whole mood changed. Put her head in my lap like she was sorry. I'll never forget that look she gave me. But it was enough to make me nervous. I took her outside to go for a walk and she went to the grass to pee. Didn't quite make it before she started peeing, and it was the brightest red I'd ever seen. Took her to the vet the next day and sure enough her liver was failing due to her age, and there wasn't much we could do.

I of course couldn't believe it. No way this was happening to MY dog. She's been such a huge part of my life, I couldn't believe it. Took her home because I was struggling with the same thoughts you were. Was it fair to end her life? Decided to go over the weekend, see how she's doing. She peed a lot, blood was often in her urine. She peed inside (which was incredibly unusual) but she just couldn't hold it any more. When she started vomiting I knew it was time.

We took her in on Monday, and it was just mind blowing how quickly she deteriorated. She was miserable, I could see it in her eyes. The worst part about it was the guilt I had, that I kept her up for the next few days because I couldn't say good bye.

Sorry this ended up being much longer then I anticipated. I'm not sure how severe your dog's case is, but I know my dog went from seemingly healthy with no visible symptoms, to vomiting and bleeding over the course of about 5 days. Now that I look back on it, the mood changes were a bit more obvious earlier, just general irritability. We all love our dogs, they're family members. But I really came to terms with her passing and wish I had done it earlier then later and spared her those last few days.

Gluck GB. Thoughts and prayers! I really do hate you're having to go through this. But you'll always have your memories of times with her. This is always how I'll remember my dog, the most loving and loyal animal I've ever met.

We're going through this too - our female Weim's heart is failing and it's causing fluid to back into her lungs. It's basically COPD.

Anyway, she's on a ton of pills right now, but at this point we think we'll be lucky if she makes it to June. I actually thought I was taking her to be out down a few weeks ago - she vomited blood in my car 3x on the way to the vet that day. They somehow stabilized her, but I was ready then to end her suffering. Honestly my only concern that day about it was my wife being able to leave work to say goodbye.

That's where I'm at now - no suffering. I'm determined to be there holding her at the end so she'll fall asleep knowing she was loved.

Same thing is happening with Moose. She's still excited to eat, but can't keep it down for long. Very lethargic, but still purrs when you pet her or when she's just chilling, but she's not running around and wrestling with the dog or anything.

I had the exact same conversation with my vet on Friday. He said that basically she was just an old cat, and that they could run all sorts of tests and see if there was more to it, but that even if there was, he wouldn't recommend surgery or anything in her case. I came to grips with the fact that she's not going to get "better," now it's just getting to the point where I'm OK letting her go.
I'm so sorry to hear this. It sounds very similar to what I went through, except my cat was only 10. Not a kitten, but I had always thought I had many more years with her. She was awesome. It's been about 5 years since it happened and even thinking about it now brings tears to my eyes.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Reading your post struck a heartstring with me, as I had to go through this exact same thing a week ago. I know a lot of people post when they have to put down their dogs, but I literally just couldn't. I tried twice but couldn't keep typing it was too much.

I got my dog when I went off to college. Was my first "adult" decision. She was a 4 month old rottweiler/lab/mutt I got from the shelter after someone dropped off a box full of puppies. When I first saw her, she cam running up to me and I was hooked. We went everywhere together. Camping/hiking, she loved to swim. Would jump into the river, jump off the small falls with me. One of the best fetchers, and could catch anything. Some of the most fun I had was just going into a field and throwing frisbees for what seemed like hours. Our favorite past time was going into the open space across from my house and hitting golf balls. She'd chase them down until she'd collapse, tongue out sweating, with the biggest smile on her face. Makes me smile just thinking about it.

Fast forward 11 years. I have two kids and a wife now. My dog absolutely adored my kids, maybe a bit too much. She'd get nervous when people would come over to pick them up. If my 5 month old was laying down, and someone walked towards him, she'd jump up and start walking over to make sure they weren't going to hurt him. My 2 and a half year old and her became attached. She'd follow him around everywhere.

About two weeks ago her behavior started to change. She started becoming more irritable. She never once growled, or even seemed to mind when my boys would crawl all over her. One night she was laying at my feet, her usual spot, and my 2 and a half year old came charging in and jumped on her, this happened often and she never cared. But she jumped up and growled and even snapped a bit. Completely out of character. Then she looked at me and her whole mood changed. Put her head in my lap like she was sorry. I'll never forget that look she gave me. But it was enough to make me nervous. I took her outside to go for a walk and she went to the grass to pee. Didn't quite make it before she started peeing, and it was the brightest red I'd ever seen. Took her to the vet the next day and sure enough her liver was failing due to her age, and there wasn't much we could do.

I of course couldn't believe it. No way this was happening to MY dog. She's been such a huge part of my life, I couldn't believe it. Took her home because I was struggling with the same thoughts you were. Was it fair to end her life? Decided to go over the weekend, see how she's doing. She peed a lot, blood was often in her urine. She peed inside (which was incredibly unusual) but she just couldn't hold it any more. When she started vomiting I knew it was time.

We took her in on Monday, and it was just mind blowing how quickly she deteriorated. She was miserable, I could see it in her eyes. The worst part about it was the guilt I had, that I kept her up for the next few days because I couldn't say good bye.

Sorry this ended up being much longer then I anticipated. I'm not sure how severe your dog's case is, but I know my dog went from seemingly healthy with no visible symptoms, to vomiting and bleeding over the course of about 5 days. Now that I look back on it, the mood changes were a bit more obvious earlier, just general irritability. We all love our dogs, they're family members. But I really came to terms with her passing and wish I had done it earlier then later and spared her those last few days.

Gluck GB. Thoughts and prayers! I really do hate you're having to go through this. But you'll always have your memories of times with her. This is always how I'll remember my dog, the most loving and loyal animal I've ever met.
Cool pic!

I went through this recently, it was heartbreaking. I thought I would be the rock to carry everyone though it and I was the last one in the room, had to be dragged away.

All I can say is give her a wonderful last meal, all the sorts of stuff she was never allowed. If she can handle it and walk, or maybe carry her, one last tour of the yard or maybe a ride in the car or whatever her favorite thing was. A warm place, a comfortable bed, gather the family and friends around, and hold her while she's escorted to the next station in life and tell her you will see her soon.

Good luck, just lean on those around you, let them lean on you, and you will both get through it. - SID

I've never been through this. My pets that have passed did so on their own in a vet hospital. Can't imagine having to make a decision like this no matter how old she is. GL and God bless. X

This sounds like how our lab passed. I posted here after it happened, but I'm pretty sure the purge got that thread.

She was fine one minute, then started just going down-hill. About a week was all it took. It's scary how fast this stuff happens.

Pets and kids are a neat relationship. Moose is always the first one to come into the room if my son Connor starts crying. She'll come over to see if he's OK. The awesome part is, usually just seeing her makes him cheer up.

I'm out of "likes" for posts in this thread. I really appreciate all the insight and well wishes. It's getting harder and harder to read this thread and keep it together in my cube here at work.

OMG. I can't even imagine how awful that was.

I'm an avid bird keeper. A few years ago my best friend left her cockatiel in my care for a week while on vacation. She came back to his corpse. No idea what happened. One night he's doing great, in the morning he's gone. The guilt, but no signs and nothing I could have done. Just unfortunate. :(

Fat Nick - Sorry to hear you are going through this. We had to put our family dog down a little over a year ago. Probably one of the hardest things I have had to do.

My wife and I got our first pet together just before we got married. I wanted a yellow lab as I wanted to take him duck hunting. We found a dog we liked. Turned out he was allergic to duck. I know don't even get me started. Anyway, we had him for 13 wonderful years. Goofiest most clumsy dog ever. He was so awkward but we all loved him. When he was 12 or so we found out that there was a small mass in his stomach. There was not much that the vet could do. I remember telling my wife that at some point we would have to make a really hard decision. For the next year or so he carried on pretty well but he got to a point where he was not gaining weight. We had to switch him over to a rice and ground beef diet. He could not keep the regular dog food down. I had taken him in for a check up because the diarrhea was getting real bad. He was getting to a point where he could not control his bowels.

Our family had gone out on a Friday night. When we got him I got the dog outside to go to the bathroom. When he got back in it was like his front right paw just gave out. He could not put any weight on it. I moved his bed downstairs and I slept on the floor with him that night. Pretty much one of the worst nights sleep i had. In the morning I could not get him to even get up from his bed. I tried to use a towel to put under him to help support his weight and make it easier. He still would not get up. My youngest son had a soccer game that morning. My boys had to say good bye to their pet right before they left to go to the soccer game. When they were off I carried him out to the car and drove him to vet. When i got there i went to the front desk and I couldn't even talk through the tears. The techs came out and helped me carry him in. When they finally gave him the drugs I remember sitting there with him and I could feel his heart stop. I sat there in the room with him for an hour after that with tears rolling down my eyes.

I guess my point is that to some extent your pet will tell you when they are ready to go. I know that my dog was not in the best shape the last year we had him but he always got up and gave us everything he had. When he finally would not get up off that bed I knew he was telling me that it was time.

Best of luck with your decision man. There is no easy way to come to terms with it.

So sorry that you have to deal with it. It's by far the biggest negative of owning a pet. But the reason it hurts so much is that they're so awesome and you love them so much. We had to put my dog to sleep 3 weeks ago and I sobbed like a baby. 3 previous times over the last year we were told she wasn't going to make it, but she had such a strong will that she hung on and recovered each time. She had heart issues and weird x-rays that they couldn't quite figure out though so we knew she was on borrowed time. This last time she started avoiding being around us, wouldn't sleep in the bed with us, and stopped eating much. We took her in, they said she seemed fairly stable still and not suffering, ant us home with some antibiotics and were told to re-check her in two days. But by the next day she couldn't even make it 5 or 6 feet without collapsing and laying there for a bit before walking another 5-6 feet. Her breathing got bad and so we took her back in. They immediately out her on oxygen and said that while they couldn't prove it was cancer and there were some expensive treatments we could try at another specialty vet, we knew it was time. She was suffering and wasn't going to get better.

It hurt so bad. I cried like a baby. That dog was so sweet that even one of the vet techs cried because she loved our dog so much. The first week was especially rough. Coming home and not seeing her at the door, hearing rustling in the other room and wondering what she was getting into before caching myself, the empty spot in the bed at night, "seeing" her out of the corner of my eye in one of "her" spots, hurrying to pickup food that I dropped, or having to pickup crumbs because I know she's not there to Hoover them up. The pain has mostly dulled now, but there are definitely moments. But remembering all the awesome/funny memories helps. And looking at old pictures reminds me of when she was younger and in better health, as well as made me realize just how age had caught up with her.

One of the things our vet did, which was really cool, was they took an imprint of her paws in clay after we left, stamped her name in it and then fired it for us. It was a nice special memento. If your vet doesn't do something like that, I would highly recommend grabbing a kit like that at a craft store and doing it yourself.

Good luck man, losing a member of your family is awful.

So sorry that you have to deal with it. It's by far the biggest negative of owning a pet. But the reason it hurts so much is that they're so awesome and you love them so much. We had to put my dog to sleep 3 weeks ago and I sobbed like a baby. 3 previous times over the last year we were told she wasn't going to make it, but she had such a strong will that she hung on and recovered each time. She had heart issues and weird x-rays that they couldn't quite figure out though so we knew she was on borrowed time. This last time she started avoiding being around us, wouldn't sleep in the bed with us, and stopped eating much. We took her in, they said she seemed fairly stable still and not suffering, ant us home with some antibiotics and were told to re-check her in two days. But by the next day she couldn't even make it 5 or 6 feet without collapsing and laying there for a bit before walking another 5-6 feet. Her breathing got bad and so we took her back in. They immediately out her on oxygen and said that while they couldn't prove it was cancer and there were some expensive treatments we could try at another specialty vet, we knew it was time. She was suffering and wasn't going to get better.

It hurt so bad. I cried like a baby. That dog was so sweet that even one of the vet techs cried because she loved our dog so much. The first week was especially rough. Coming home and not seeing her at the door, hearing rustling in the other room and wondering what she was getting into before caching myself, the empty spot in the bed at night, "seeing" her out of the corner of my eye in one of "her" spots, hurrying to pickup food that I dropped, or having to pickup crumbs because I know she's not there to Hoover them up. The pain has mostly dulled now, but there are definitely moments. But remembering all the awesome/funny memories helps. And looking at old pictures reminds me of when she was younger and in better health, as well as made me realize just how age had caught up with her.

One of the things our vet did, which was really cool, was they took an imprint of her paws in clay after we left, stamped her name in it and then fired it for us. It was a nice special memento. If your vet doesn't do something like that, I would highly recommend grabbing a kit like that at a craft store and doing it yourself.

Good luck man, losing a member of your family is awful.
Touching post. Thanks GB.

re. the bolded part about the paw prints. I made one of these of my Lab that passed, Molly, and then made one of Moose several years ago. I have both of them hanging in the house. :thumbup: I agree - AWESOME memento that will have added meaning soon unfortunately. They sell kits for pretty cheap, and they turn out really well.

Not much more to add but thoughts and prayers coming your way. I had to do this twice within 3 months about 5 years ago.

The thing is, with dogs and cats, they don't ask for much. But they rely on you for everything. Shelter, love, food, water, medical care....all of it. The best part is they don't care what kind of day you had, or what's going on at work, or if you aren't feeling good. When they see you, you are their world. They provide you probably the most pure unconditional love you will ever experience. That is their gift to you and the only thing they can do to re-pay you.

When it comes time for their end of life, our job is to re-pay their unconditional love with ours. Which means we take away their suffering. For their sake, not ours. That is the hardest gift to them you will ever give, but it is always the most selfless gift you can give them.

You will know when it's time.

I'll add that having young kids in the house provides the somewhat less brutal opportunity to talk about mortality (less brutal than if it's a person in your family). your 9 mo old will likely puke in your face about it. such a baby.

I honestly don't know if I could ever do it with my golden retriever. I just don't think I could ever bring myself to do it unless I knew he was in constant insufferable pain. Best of luck to you and your dog. I can't imagine how hard that situation must be.

Not much more to add but thoughts and prayers coming your way. I had to do this twice within 3 months about 5 years ago.

The thing is, with dogs and cats, they don't ask for much. But they rely on you for everything. Shelter, love, food, water, medical care....all of it. The best part is they don't care what kind of day you had, or what's going on at work, or if you aren't feeling good. When they see you, you are their world. They provide you probably the most pure unconditional love you will ever experience. That is their gift to you and the only thing they can do to re-pay you.

When it comes time for their end of life, our job is to re-pay their unconditional love with ours. Which means we take away their suffering. For their sake, not ours. That is the hardest gift to them you will ever give, but it is always the most selfless gift you can give them.

You will know when it's time.
:thumbup:

I'll add that having young kids in the house provides the somewhat less brutal opportunity to talk about mortality (less brutal than if it's a person in your family). your 9 mo old will likely puke in your face about it. such a baby.
His response would likely be "Blah Blah Blah!." Because that's pretty much all he says. Yeah. His first phrase was "Blah Blah Blah." Clear as day, and directed at me most likely...

Users who are viewing this thread